HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who will make the team out of training camp?

Old
06-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Drury_Sakic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
There is no-one in the Avs organisation currently who can replace McClement and I have a hard time seeing a viable alternative to get via trade or free agency. I'd like to see Olver in ahead of Kobasew (though I'd rather see Kobasew in ahead of McLeod and have Olver on the team full-time) bit Kobasew will definitely not be kept over McClement.
Unless McClemment wants to go to a team where he can play a larger role in the lineup than he can with the Avs....which could happen give the Avs depth up the middle.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:45 AM
Ceremony
smeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

vCash: 47148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
Unless McClemment wants to go to a team where he can play a larger role in the lineup than he can with the Avs....which could happen give the Avs depth up the middle.
Where would he go that would give him a bigger role? Here he's a leader on the team (hell he got an A after about 5 games with the team when he got here, and that was when he was terrible), the best defensive forward on the team who's always trusted in the key defensive situations, as well as being the go to guy on the penalty kill.

Plus, he had to move his family from St. Louis to Denver when he was traded. I can't see him doing that again after a year, not when he's with a team where he's already (seemingly) rated highly.

Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:49 AM
klozge
Avs

If Gaunce doesn't make it I'll be shocked. I'm expecting Olver to make it, too. Maybe Barrie and/or Elliott.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Where would he go that would give him a bigger role? Here he's a leader on the team (hell he got an A after about 5 games with the team when he got here, and that was when he was terrible), the best defensive forward on the team who's always trusted in the key defensive situations, as well as being the go to guy on the penalty kill.

Plus, he had to move his family from St. Louis to Denver when he was traded. I can't see him doing that again after a year, not when he's with a team where he's already (seemingly) rated highly.
Dont get me wrong, I think it makes buckets of sense for him to stay...but sometimes guys agents and/or their egos make them do dumb things. I have to imagine there is at least 4-5 teams out there that would put him into a 3rd line role rather than a 4th line one that gives him more offensive chances.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

I can't say I would have an issue with the following roster.

McGinn-Stastny-Jones
Downie-O'Reilly-Landeskog
Mueller-Duchene-XXXX
McLeod-McClement-Hejduk

Johnson-O'Byrne
Hejda-XXXX
Elliott-Wilson/Gaunce/Barrie

Varlamov
Gigučre

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:03 AM
Drizzt1

1. We just re-signed Hunwick for 1.6 million per season over two seasons, and we all know Sacco has him in his top pairing, getting top minutes.
2. Milan Hejduk should be NOWHERE near the checking line.

People are then wanting Gaunce in the team.

I personally think O'Brien may not be re-signed.

So people are wanting Hunwick, Gaunce, O'Byrne, Hejda & Wilson as 5 of our top 6 defensemen? In my opinion, those 5 have the potential of being dominated at AHL level let alone the NHL.

Also, you need SOME production at defense. Johnson was our top this past season with 20 odd points, which really, is embarrassing considering we gave away (lets be fair) Liles for next to nothing who has 302 points in 589 games, which on average is 45 odd per season played.

This will be our team next season, and if we are honest, you'd think would be one of the lower groups yet again:-

Mcginn - Stastny - Jones
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Hejduk
Mueller - Duchene - Hejduk
Mcleod - McClement - Kobasew

Johnson - Hunwick
Wilson - Barrie
O'Byrne - Hejda

Varlamov
Giguere

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:57 AM
BoxOfChocolates

That team would suck, however I'd be incredibly shocked if the Avs don't sign/trade for a top 4 defenseman.

BoxOfChocolates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
1. We just re-signed Hunwick for 1.6 million per season over two seasons, and we all know Sacco has him in his top pairing, getting top minutes.
2. Milan Hejduk should be NOWHERE near the checking line.

People are then wanting Gaunce in the team.

So people are wanting Hunwick, Gaunce, O'Byrne, Hejda & Wilson as 5 of our top 6 defensemen? In my opinion, those 5 have the potential of being dominated at AHL level let alone the NHL.
Hunwick played 33 games, and only played over 22 minutes three times. I don't see why it would change next season. If he is not sitting in the press box then I'm sure he will be getting around 18 minutes a night, which is what he averaged last season.

If the Avs don't do anything to improve the defence then it will be Hejda-O'Byrne and Wilson-Johnson all averaging around 22 minutes a night. With Hunwick and one of Gaunce/Elliott/Barrie getting the softest minutes imagineable.

It is too bad Gaunce is the only lefty of our three good prospects. If Barrie or Elliott were left handed I'd be much more inclined to want to see them next to O'Byrne.

As for the group you posted, that is basically identical to what the Avs had this season. They finished 8th in goals against in the West. They may not be impressive names, or have any offensive capability, but that group can hold its own defensively.

Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Emppu

Can you see Aittokallio playing for LEM next year?

Emppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emppu View Post
Can you see Aittokallio playing for LEM next year?
I think he should seriously contend for the starting job there. I hope they don't just hand it to Pickard because he was drafted higher. I hope they get a platoon type situation if Aitto doesn't win the starting job.

Hans Landaskog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post

Mcginn - Stastny - Jones
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Hejduk
Mueller - Duchene - Hejduk
Mcleod - McClement - Kobasew

Johnson - Hunwick
Wilson - Barrie
O'Byrne - Hejda

Varlamov
Giguere
I think Hejduk is already so slow that he shouldn't really be double shifted.

And yes, I understand you meant Downie for one of the lines above.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Congo Jack
Good Moleman to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
I think Hejduk is already so slow that he shouldn't really be double shifted.

And yes, I understand you meant Downie for one of the lines above.
Actually no, Downie was sent to the minors and they cloned Hejduk. Our team will soon be all 36 year old Hejduks!

Congo Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by OReally View Post
I think he should seriously contend for the starting job there. I hope they don't just hand it to Pickard because he was drafted higher. I hope they get a platoon type situation if Aitto doesn't win the starting job.
You're forgetting Patterson as well. I think Aitto stays across the pond another year. And then you have a three way battle (Aitto, Patterson, and Pickard) for the backup spot in 2013 when they presumably don't resign Giggy. The two losers go to LEM.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:42 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
You're forgetting Patterson as well. I think Aitto stays across the pond another year. And then you have a three way battle (Aitto, Patterson, and Pickard) for the backup spot in 2013 when they presumably don't resign Giggy. The two losers go to LEM.
And Desjardins who might come back. Don't see any team giving him a guaranteed NHL spot and he'd be the AHL starter behind two goalies that have had some injury issues in the past here. I see next year going:
NHL: Varly/Giguere
AHL: Desjardins/Patterson or Pickard
ECHL: Patterson or Pickard
Europe: Aittokallio

Next year Desjardins takes over as backup if he hasn't by then, Giggy moves on or becomes our goalies coach, You have the kids all fight it out for the AHL spots and send the loser down to the ECHL for more grooming and PT.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:02 PM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

Somebody here said that Aitto is starting his mandatory military service but he will be able to be the goalie for his team while serving because he is an athlete. I suspect he will have to be in FIN to do that. Therefore if we re-sign Desjardins, we have 4 goalies battling for the 2 spots with LEM. I see Patterson having the edge right now between him, Pickard and Millan.

AllAboutAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:06 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
Forecasting goaltending situations two years from now never goes well. Things change with goalies all the time. Some guy we've never heard of can show up at LEM camp and win a spot, conversely the guys we think are promising could let in beach balls and stink up the joint. Too many unknowns for goalies until they are like 26 y/o and up.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:30 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
I can't say I would have an issue with the following roster.

McGinn-Stastny-Jones
Downie-O'Reilly-Landeskog
Mueller-Duchene-XXXX
McLeod-McClement-Hejduk

Johnson-O'Byrne
Hejda-XXXX
Elliott-Wilson/Gaunce/Barrie

Varlamov
Gigučre
Two problems,

1. Hejkuk needs to play with Duchene, otherwise it'll be Kobascrew that does and that won't end well.

2. If Johnson and OB are our top pairing, I am kissing next year goodbye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Forecasting goaltending situations two years from now never goes well. Things change with goalies all the time. Some guy we've never heard of can show up at LEM camp and win a spot, conversely the guys we think are promising could let in beach balls and stink up the joint. Too many unknowns for goalies until they are like 26 y/o and up.
I think you can forecast Varly still being there save extreme unforeseen circumstances. The guy has the best athletic ability out of any one of our goalies. I thought his mental game was weak but I am starting to think its his athletic ability that gets him more worn down. He has shown to handle tough game situations, SO, and come back after bad games with strong performances. I think his lackluster middle season was due to his body starting to wear down. It was probably the longest stretch of hockey he played in almost a year so it'd make sense.

I am sure we won't see him struggle in the middle season as much next year but if he does, we have our Biggest Tradeable Asset in Giggy () just to be safe.

I can see Attio being this team's backup and could make a case for no. 1 goalie down the road but that isn't going to be 2 years from now, more likely 5 - 7.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:30 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Neither hishon or sgarbossa are nhl ready. And you don't use guys like that on your bottom lines. 2 years before we see either with the avs.

DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:32 AM
tkayler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL View Post
Neither hishon or sgarbossa are nhl ready. And you don't use guys like that on your bottom lines. 2 years before we see either with the avs.
I think you'll be surprised. Before his concussion Hishon was considered almost there. It will take some time to for him to get used to the pace again so he'll take his time in the AHL. I'm willing to bet he gets at least a long look at camp or a couple game tryout before his 10 entry level deal kicks in.

tkayler is offline   Reply With Quote