HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part X: Bobby, we're better than Philly!

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 10:35 AM
NikC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'm still looking to stay young. I like Mueller and Ladtendresse. I think this team has at least one more season of growing pains in it before we're finally ready to add the missing piece. Not a great year for free agency. Lots of older players who will be looking for retirement deals. Roll the dice on Mueller and see what the trade market is like later in the summer. Maybe Howson will blink on Nash, or a kid will win a spot in camp somewhere and free up a roster player for that team as trade bait.
damaged goods. what happens when X player with upside and injury concerns gets injured? then you're forced to make a trade to salvage the season. dumb.

people get cold feet because they don't want to see the NYR make a mistake, but we made a mistake by not making any moves at the deadline. It cost us a chance to go to the SCF. It didn't have to be Nash either!

BS! we're ready now! Lundqvist won't be young forever. the window is open. if the right move is there you make it. reclamations are not the right moves for this club.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:39 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
We have the 3rd and 4th line players to have a skilled enough bottom-6 to not have the problem we did in the ECF. The problem is that too many of those players were playing a line above where they should have been.
fair enough, which is why i said it's not the top priority. the top priority for this club is to add top six scoring and defenseman.

for the bottom six you're looking at replacing:
Prust, Feds, Mitchell

Old
06-27-2012, 10:39 AM
NYR Viper

Nik, there is nothing wrong with grabbing a good younger player with some upside coming off an injury. If he gets hurt, put him on IR. As long as you aren't expecting said player to come in and light the world on fire it will work out. Bring in Mueller as a 3rd line RW with some PP time and see how he does.

If not, just acquire a RW at the deadline.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Nik, there is nothing wrong with grabbing a good younger player with some upside coming off an injury. If he gets hurt, put him on IR. As long as you aren't expecting said player to come in and light the world on fire it will work out. Bring in Mueller as a 3rd line RW with some PP time and see how he does.

Which is why I really wanted Fleischmann during last year's free agency. I have no problem with this kind of thing, although I'd rather sign Stempniak.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:59 AM
NikC

Quote:

i'm ok with stop gaps like Whitney or even 2yr with Doan, because of the type of players they are. however i just don't like these guys coming off substantial injuries. just setting yourself up for trouble.

I'd rather they address top six needs through either Parise* or Semin, or through a trade. I want to try to get real top line players
first if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Which is why I really wanted Fleischmann during last year's free agency. I have no problem with this kind of thing, although I'd rather sign Stempniak.
so would I. of all the lower level top 6 Fs i like him.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
damaged goods. what happens when X player with upside and injury concerns gets injured? then you're forced to make a trade to salvage the season. dumb.

people get cold feet because they don't want to see the NYR make a mistake, but we made a mistake by not making any moves at the deadline. It cost us a chance to go to the SCF. It didn't have to be Nash either!

BS! we're ready now! Lundqvist won't be young forever. the window is open. if the right move is there you make it. reclamations are not the right moves for this club.
Oh please. I'm so tired of this sensationalist nonsense. I knew the moment this team had a taste of success there would be fans lining up to hit the "go for it!" button. Lundqvist just turned 30 and is in the prime of his career. Barring injury, he has another 5-6 years of elite ability in his tank. We didn't make a move at the deadline because there was no move to make. Nash was the only high-value option, and the price was astronomical. We didn't have the depth to make a trade of that magnitude, so what are your alleged alternatives? Kostitsyn? Gaustad? More band-aids that wouldn't have put us over the top?

This team has come too far in the last 5 years to throw it all away on some stupid trade. Patience is a virtue, and thank god the front-office seems to be exercising it. The need for instant gratification around here is embarrassing. Trade Stepan!! Del Zotto, Stepan, Dubinsky and Miller for Ryan! For Nash! For Yandle! Stanley Cup contenders don't trade away 3 roster players for a single guy. Especially if they don't have the organizational depth to fill the void left. The Kings got Carter because Johnson was replaceable. Their defensive depth is legitimate. It's banging down the door at the NHL level. Ours is another year away if we're lucky. This is NOT the time to be making panic moves. This is the same kind of garbage I hear from Jackets fans about not wanting to make a "big boy" trade because dealing Stepan for Nash would leave a gaping hole at our center position.

Mueller is an extremely skilled player. He gives us a big shot from the point on the PP, and increases our scoring depth. Is he a risk? Of course he is, but he's a risk with very high upside. Give me a $2m, 1 year, zero risk commitment for a kid with 25 goal / 55 point upside over an asinine 4 for 1 trade any day of the week.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

not sure if this is the right place:

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/index...fd3f1cab594670

Old
06-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

The guy (Mueller) is certainly at least a 3rd liner, possibly more. I don't see the problem with giving him even a $3m contract if it's for a year.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:20 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The PA is taking their time. Today is the last day of their meetings. The cap number hasn't been set yet. The PA hasn't voted on the 5% bump yet
I read an article that teams were advised by the league to operate under the assumption that the cap would be 70 million.

With the 10% buffer, that's 77million.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/6/1...on-free-agency

Old
06-27-2012, 11:32 AM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post
not sure if this is the right place:

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/index...fd3f1cab594670
Does this mean it's the end of the Whale?

Old
06-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Lundsanity30

So the temporary cap is 70.3M. We have a ton of cap space than, but than teams could be screwed if they go by that and the new CBA drops it to 60M

Old
06-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
So the temporary cap is 70.3M. We have a ton of cap space than, but than teams could be screwed if they go by that and the new CBA drops it to 60M
If enough teams are over that number, it would give the NHL cause to ask for roll backs.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:14 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Bern, have you seen Pearson play?
Personally, no. Highlight clips, no. Did I supplement general sources with what analysis was made for mock drafts both at this site and the NHL.com site, yes.

Long story short - 1
Doesn't matter this kid will be ahead of the curve, generally speaking to others his age as he wasn't drafted earlier, and reciprocally is projected likewise to be behind them at the end of his career.

Bottom line is the kid can shoot, and score. Yes, he may not be getting stiffest competition in that regard, but he is scoring ballpark Yakupov rate of numbers. Even allowing, hypothetically to say such adjustment is necessary, a discount from Pearson's rate, it will still be an impressive number, by any measurement.

Plus he's 6'0, which is not 6'2 or better, but which is not smurf either.

This guy is a ? with talent, IMO. Could be another scoring machine, could be Pavel Brendl. But IMO, he's worth a risk at the right price. Better guys to target might be Coldshot's -- er, make that, CM Lundqvist's favorite, Kerdiles (sp.), but they would command higher price from team that has greater need to keep, develop + use the asset, who in any case would not be here next season for sure.

This is amplified by the fact that he could make the Rangers this year, and we would ideally like to benefit from both someone here right away, and as well as in the long term plan. I agree it's best case scenario, but Pearson could be 3rd/4th line next year.

You have to assume a team is not anxious to part with a 1st round pick right away. But LAK are happy, have no immediate need for this investment, and could theoretically part with him for enough profit.

Long story short - 2

Unfortunately, people who have a mancrush on Girardi and go nuts because of all the trades in which I have made him the centerpiece have to press for a herd mentality to defeat this premise from being discussed in civil fashion with an open mind.

All I was looking for was something along the lines of:
Pearson is terrible/good/great/overrated/underrated, IMO, and based on that, taking into account both our need for a prospect scorer who could be here early yet at the same time is a risk, my counter offer would be:

___________ for Pearson, as I feel the the Kings poster initial demand was too much.

Since this was beyond most, I will pursue the matter individually, and post the results.
Let the record, show, however, I was proper in bring the matter to our brethren at the Ranger forum. I did not ostracize anyone, though a few sought to do that to me.

Long story short - 3
I would like to thank those who were civil and polite and supported freedom of speech, whether or not they agreed with with suggestions.

Those of you who were otherwise, you have your comments to hang your hat on.

The handful of you who were ridiculously mean spirited, to the point of being an infraction of within HFB rules, I will not on this occasion as the mods to take action. But you know who you are, and if this keeps up, you will reap what you sow.

In conclusion, there is no obsession with Pearson.
A case can be made, simply, he may be an option worth considering IF certain variables fall into place.

I look forward to all who wish to discuss with an open mind all our options to make the best Rangers team possible.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyNYR View Post
Does this mean it's the end of the Whale?
Could very well be just that Sir..

Old
06-27-2012, 12:22 PM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post
Could very well be just that Sir..
Ugh. Been living in Hartford all my life and I love the Whale/Wolfpack. Always been part of my winer every year.

This could be the end of hockey in hartford unfourtantely, 21 months ago when Baldwin took over it looked like we could be in contention for a NHL team. Now this was just dropped down. Terrible.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:30 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Personally, no. Highlight clips, no. Did I supplement general sources with what analysis was made for mock drafts both at this site and the NHL.com site, yes.
And here I thought you couldn't make your arguments and proposals any more ludicrous than they already were. You're advocating trading for a guy we could have drafted but didn't less than a week after the draft is over, which is bizarre enough, but on top of that you've never even watched him play a game?!

Quote:
Long story short - 1
Doesn't matter this kid will be ahead of the curve, generally speaking to others his age as he wasn't drafted earlier, and reciprocally is projected likewise to be behind them at the end of his career.
Also, I just wanted to add that for the life of me I cannot figure out what this sentence means.

Bernmeister, I believe you have done what many believed to be impossible by surpassing JOrts in sheer ridiculousness.

RANGERS =
Old
06-27-2012, 12:35 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyNYR View Post
Ugh. Been living in Hartford all my life and I love the Whale/Wolfpack. Always been part of my winer every year.

This could be the end of hockey in hartford unfourtantely, 21 months ago when Baldwin took over it looked like we could be in contention for a NHL team. Now this was just dropped down. Terrible.
I believe the article said that the Rangers are assuming direct control so I don't know that the AHL/Rangers are leaving HFD anytime soon. Maybe they'll just rename it Wolfpack again.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Svenhart2008

Piece by Jess Rubenstein:

http://theprospectpark.blogspot.com/...ospect+Park%29

Old
06-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenhart2008 View Post
My browser tells me this site contains a site, nyrangersblog, that has malware.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Yup. I got the same thing.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:49 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Oh please. I'm so tired of this sensationalist nonsense. I knew the moment this team had a taste of success there would be fans lining up to hit the "go for it!" button. Lundqvist just turned 30 and is in the prime of his career. Barring injury, he has another 5-6 years of elite ability in his tank. We didn't make a move at the deadline because there was no move to make. Nash was the only high-value option, and the price was astronomical. We didn't have the depth to make a trade of that magnitude, so what are your alleged alternatives? Kostitsyn? Gaustad? More band-aids that wouldn't have put us over the top?

This team has come too far in the last 5 years to throw it all away on some stupid trade. Patience is a virtue, and thank god the front-office seems to be exercising it. The need for instant gratification around here is embarrassing. Trade Stepan!! Del Zotto, Stepan, Dubinsky and Miller for Ryan! For Nash! For Yandle! Stanley Cup contenders don't trade away 3 roster players for a single guy. Especially if they don't have the organizational depth to fill the void left. The Kings got Carter because Johnson was replaceable. Their defensive depth is legitimate. It's banging down the door at the NHL level. Ours is another year away if we're lucky. This is NOT the time to be making panic moves. This is the same kind of garbage I hear from Jackets fans about not wanting to make a "big boy" trade because dealing Stepan for Nash would leave a gaping hole at our center position.

Mueller is an extremely skilled player. He gives us a big shot from the point on the PP, and increases our scoring depth. Is he a risk? Of course he is, but he's a risk with very high upside. Give me a $2m, 1 year, zero risk commitment for a kid with 25 goal / 55 point upside over an asinine 4 for 1 trade any day of the week.
i see what you did. because i don't like your brilliant idea to bring in a player who has ONE full season to his credit, and has been hampered by substantial injuries for the past 3, I suddenly become an advocate for every asinine trade proposed on the board.

you're reasonable, i'm insane. got it.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Svenhart2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
I didn't have any issues. Sorry to hear that.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:57 PM
LordsCup*

Trade rumors have really dried up this week.

Guess GMs have put everything on hold for a week or two till after the big july 1st free agency frenzy ends.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Dfence033

With some of the ridiculous asking prices for trades this off-season, how about a scenario like this:

Call up Winnipeg with the new RFA compensations and tell them you are preparing to offer Evander Kane a 6-year $30 million deal, and that the compensation (figured by RFA compensation standards total of total value/5 of $6mil/year) would be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick. Ensure Kane would sign the deal, then offer Brandon Dubinsky and a 3rd for his "rights." If they don't take it, just follow through on the offer-sheet, and trade Dubinsky to the highest bidder based on propsect/picks (I know, unpopular ideal, but follow through). Re-sign Fedotenko, Del Zotto, Stralman, and Biron. Sign Alexei Ponikarovksi for bottom-6 duties to replace Prust (will probably cost a very little bit more, but brings more offense and versatility than Prust). Pursue Whitney or take a chance on a Peter Mueller/Guillaume Latendresse type. Pursue Schultz. Sign a cheap low-risk, moderate-reward defenseman like Matt Taormina who can play 20 min/night or 7 min/night to compete for the 4/5/6/7 spot with one of Erixon/Stralman/Schultz.

While Gaborik is out:

Kane-Richards-Whitney
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Anisimov-Ponikarovksi
Boyle-Rupp-Fedotenko

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Toarmina/Schultz/Erixon/Stralman
Del Zotto-Toarmina/Schultz/Erixon/Stralman

When Gaborik returns:
Kane-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Anisimov-Whitney
Poinkarovski-Rupp/Boyle-Fedotenko/Boyle
Rupp/Fedotenko

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh- Toarmina/Schultz/Erixon/Stralman
Del Zotto- Toarmina/Schultz/Erixon/Stralman

Using this years cap (since likely won't be going up significantly once the CBA is concluded):

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Evander Kane ($5.000m) / Brad Richards ($6.667m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Chris Kreider ($1.325m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Carl Hagelin ($0.875m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.875m) / Ray Whitney ($4.500m)
Alexei Ponikarovsky ($2.000m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.800m)
Mike Rupp ($1.500m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Dan Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Matt Taormina ($1.550m)
Michael Del Zotto ($2.000m) / Tim Erixon ($1.750m)
Anton Stralman ($0.945m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($0.875m)
BUYOUTS
Chris Drury ($1.667m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,153,334; BONUSES: $2,100,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $146,666

Departures: Dubinsky, Prust, Mitchell, Zucarello, Eminger, Scott, Woywitka, Bickel
New Players: Kane, Whitney, Ponikarovski, Toarmina, Schultz

I'd say that'd be a very productive off-season and a top Cup favorite pick. Thoughts?

Old
06-27-2012, 01:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfence033 View Post
With some of the ridiculous asking prices for trades this off-season, how about a scenario like this:

Call up Winnipeg with the new RFA compensations and tell them you are preparing to offer Evander Kane a 6-year $30 million deal, and that the compensation (figured by RFA compensation standards total of total value/5 of $6mil/year) would be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick. Ensure Kane would sign the deal, then offer Brandon Dubinsky and a 3rd for his "rights." If they don't take it, just follow through on the offer-sheet, and trade Dubinsky to the highest bidder based on propsect/picks (I know, unpopular ideal, but follow through). Re-sign Fedotenko, Del Zotto, Stralman, and Biron. Sign Alexei Ponikarovksi for bottom-6 duties to replace Prust (will probably cost a very little bit more, but brings more offense and versatility than Prust). Pursue Whitney or take a chance on a Peter Mueller/Guillaume Latendresse type. Pursue Schultz. Sign a cheap low-risk, moderate-reward defenseman like Matt Taormina who can play 20 min/night or 7 min/night to compete for the 4/5/6/7 spot with one of Erixon/Stralman/Schultz.

While Gaborik is out:

Kane-Richards-Whitney
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Anisimov-Ponikarovksi
Boyle-Rupp-Fedotenko

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Toarmina/Schultz/Erixon/Stralman
Del Zotto-Toarmina/Schultz/Erixon/Stralman

When Gaborik returns:
Kane-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Anisimov-Whitney
Poinkarovski-Rupp/Boyle-Fedotenko/Boyle
Rupp/Fedotenko

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh- Toarmina/Schultz/Erixon/Stralman
Del Zotto- Toarmina/Schultz/Erixon/Stralman

Using this years cap (since likely won't be going up significantly once the CBA is concluded):

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Evander Kane ($5.000m) / Brad Richards ($6.667m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Chris Kreider ($1.325m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Carl Hagelin ($0.875m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.875m) / Ray Whitney ($4.500m)
Alexei Ponikarovsky ($2.000m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.800m)
Mike Rupp ($1.500m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Dan Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Matt Taormina ($1.550m)
Michael Del Zotto ($2.000m) / Tim Erixon ($1.750m)
Anton Stralman ($0.945m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($0.875m)
BUYOUTS
Chris Drury ($1.667m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,153,334; BONUSES: $2,100,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $146,666

Departures: Dubinsky, Prust, Mitchell, Zucarello, Eminger, Scott, Woywitka, Bickel
New Players: Kane, Whitney, Ponikarovski, Toarmina, Schultz

I'd say that'd be a very productive off-season and a top Cup favorite pick. Thoughts?
Why wouldn't Winnipeg match that offer sheet?