HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs select Sebastian Collberg - 33rd overall

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 01:29 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
If collberg goes to the CHL and dishonors his contract in sweden i doubt he makes the national team next year..and as ive stated before..these swedes are real loyal countrymen...

didnt this JUST happen to galchenyuk reguarding team usa U18??

Old
06-27-2012, 02:19 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I think he should stay in the SEL too but I imagine it's because he only got 6 min of icetime and 0pts in 40+ games.
IMO the SEL is a terrible developmental league for NHLers. They are notorious for burying young talented kids on the bottom lines with untalented linemates while giving them very limited minutes. Compounding the problem is the game is very passive and is played on a larger ice surface that keeps the puck far out of quality scoring zones for extended periods of time.

Loyalty is a commendable trait but if GM's had their way every one of these prospects would be playing in the CHL or NCAA.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:22 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
Collberg kinda reminds me of Kessel
Kessel is softer than duck down......

Old
06-27-2012, 06:27 AM
charlie

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Kessel is softer than duck down......
LOL........yeah.
The shifty move from the corner to the middle and top corner.....Kessel like move thats all.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:18 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
LOL........yeah.
The shifty move from the corner to the middle and top corner.....Kessel like move thats all.
I'll give you that.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
IMO the SEL is a terrible developmental league for NHLers. They are notorious for burying young talented kids on the bottom lines with untalented linemates while giving them very limited minutes. Compounding the problem is the game is very passive and is played on a larger ice surface that keeps the puck far out of quality scoring zones for extended periods of time.

Loyalty is a commendable trait but if GM's had their way every one of these prospects would be playing in the CHL or NCAA.
It such a terrible development league that nearly every single Swedish NHL player of note has spent at least a full season playing in it (and those that didn't played in the league below it), while Gabriel Landeskog is the only Swedish former CHL player to have had an actual impact in the NHL.

It is a professional league, just like the NHL. And just like in the NHL players have to earn their spots on the team.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:04 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/videocenter/console

In the "Draft Day:Sebastian Collberg" video, Collberg reiterates over and over that it was a tough year for him last year and mentions how he requested to Frolunda to play for the juniors after games as he was frustrated with not getting opportunity with the puck, and said how he spent the year just looking forward to playing with the national team.

Obviously he's trying to stay positive, but reading between the lines it's fairly obvious he doesn't think he was ready for the SEL.

Not saying it's lock he leaves at all, just think that with convincing and opportunity he could consider coming over to play junior here...
So you interpreted that into him feeling he had been handled badly last season?

Yes it was a tough year for him, which is usually the case with the step from junior to senior hockey. He was frustrated he didn't score, despite getting opportunities, but goalies came up with huge saves or there were unlucky bounces. And he looked forward to playing international competition or getting a few games with the junior team because there he would get more time with the puck and a much bigger role. When they interviewed him about his season he himself said that he had gained valuable experience and become a better and stronger hockey player during the season.

I'm probably the biggest critic of Frölunda's coach, but to say he was treated poorly by the organisation is plain wrong.

Moot point really, it's not Collberg's offensive game anyone should be worried about, it's defence (especially positionally in the defensive zone where he has a tendency for being inactive and can end up passively watching the play without covering his man) and translating his game to senior hockey. Now does anyone seriously think the CHL is a better option than the SEL for this purpose?

He signed a new one year contract just a few weeks ago, since then the situation on Frölunda's squad has changed dramatically since three top nine players expectantly left the team. So it's no longer a question about getting a chance at a bigger role this year, they'll be counting on him to step up and produce.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:17 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
So you interpreted that into him feeling he had been handled badly last season?

Yes it was a tough year for him, which is usually the case with the step from junior to senior hockey. He was frustrated he didn't score, despite getting opportunities, but goalies came up with huge saves or there were unlucky bounces. And he looked forward to playing international competition or getting a few games with the junior team because there he would get more time with the puck and a much bigger role. When they interviewed him about his season he himself said that he had gained valuable experience and become a better and stronger hockey player during the season.

I'm probably the biggest critic of Frölunda's coach, but to say he was treated poorly by the organisation is plain wrong.

Moot point really, it's not Collberg's offensive game anyone should be worried about, it's defence (especially positionally in the defensive zone where he has a tendency for being inactive and can end up passively watching the play without covering his man) and translating his game to senior hockey. Now does anyone seriously think the CHL is a better option than the SEL for this purpose?

He signed a new one year contract just a few weeks ago, since then the situation on Frölunda's squad has changed dramatically since three top nine players expectantly left the team. So it's no longer a question about getting a chance at a bigger role this year, they'll be counting on him to step up and produce.
I never said that.

The point is Frolund is a pro team that cares most about winning. In terms of Collbergs development though, he'd be better served to come and play in the CHL. I do think last year was a valuable experience for him, but another year like that, and that would pretty much be a year of development lost...

It certainly does look like he'll spend the year in Sweden though, and if he gets top 6 opportunity, then I'm in full support of it.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Et le But

If he has a season like last year again it'll be very disappointing but it would be just as much his fault as the organizations. Frolunda has the openings they didn't have last year. The fact that he was with the first team at all last year was because he was so highly regarded.

Hopefully falling to the second round gives him even more motivation and he comes out guns blazing.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:05 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I never said that.

The point is Frolund is a pro team that cares most about winning. In terms of Collbergs development though, he'd be better served to come and play in the CHL. I do think last year was a valuable experience for him, but another year like that, and that would pretty much be a year of development lost...

It certainly does look like he'll spend the year in Sweden though, and if he gets top 6 opportunity, then I'm in full support of it.
I can't see how it could possibly be better for him to go back playing junior hockey full time, one or two years in the SEL and he'll be able to step in and produce in the NHL.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:10 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
I can't see how it could possibly be better for him to go back playing junior hockey full time, one or two years in the SEL and he'll be able to step in and produce in the NHL.
Look at how playing pro in the KHL worked for Avtsin instead of playing in the CHL. Playing in the pro's when your not ready isn't as good for your development vs dominating at a lower level where you get to work on your creativity and producing consistently.

Confidence is important for fowards and scoring.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

If you can have a prospect play in the Swedish elite league, you ****in' leave that prospect there.

Collberg should stay, Nystrom should stay and Nygren should stay one more year maybe.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Grant McCagg

TT thought perhaps Sarnia would draft Collberg as he and Gally played together at one event when they were 14, but he's not surprised that he didn't get picked as he's under contract another year.

Trevor thinks Collberg will get a lot more playing time next season, and it's a great organization. Their gym and practice facilities are top notch..."better than ours" he noted.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
If you can have a prospect play in the Swedish elite league, you ****in' leave that prospect there.

Collberg should stay, Nystrom should stay and Nygren should stay one more year maybe.
Pretty much this. I'm fairly certain Brisebois and Lapointe will be on top of Johansson and whoever the the new GM of Frolunda is about his ice time.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
TT thought perhaps Sarnia would draft Collberg as he and Gally played together at one event when they were 14, but he's not surprised that he didn't get picked as he's under contract another year.

Trevor thinks Collberg will get a lot more playing time next season, and it's a great organization. Their gym and practice facilities are top notch..."better than ours" he noted.
Interesting to hear the Gally/Collberg connection goes back that far.

But as long is the organization is committed to getting him ready for the NHL and there's a place for him to have an offensive role on Frolunda (which there is from what I hear), then he could be better off in the SEL.

Just want the organization to act like a nosy parent, encouraging his play time and motivating him to add muscle.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:52 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Trevor thinks Collberg will get a lot more playing time next season, and it's a great organization.
I really hope this is the case. He needs to play, and score some goals.

Quote:
Their gym and practice facilities are top notch..."better than ours" he noted.
This much is irrelevant. Best gyms I've been in had home-made plywood platform, rusty weights, and donated racks.

So far as facilities go, he needs very little: ice, gym, track.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:14 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post

This much is irrelevant. Best gyms I've been in had home-made plywood platform, rusty weights, and donated racks.

So far as facilities go, he needs very little: ice, gym, track.
I bet you're a professional athlete that absolutely knows what he's talking about.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:26 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I bet you're a professional athlete that absolutely knows what he's talking about.
Well, that's a helpful comment. How bout you make an argument?

Old
06-27-2012, 06:43 PM
znk

Quote:
Training with the proper equipment under the supervision of the team with the proper physiotherapy equipment etc... is important in today's game. When the habs build it's new facility they mentioned it should help attract free agents. Also one of the arguments for american college hockey other than education is their top not facilities with time to train between games.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:06 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
How about you make one? You clearly have no idea what training to be professional athlete is like. Having a good facility is wayyy better than having a "home-made plywood platform, rusty weights, and donated racks."

Having a good facility gives the athlete all the necessary tool to do everything he needs, wether it's a pool, a track or specialized machine to help precise muscle, all that while having staff there full time to help you and give you instructions. It has nothing to do with like you and me going to Énergie Cardio to do some bench press and biceps curls.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
How about you make one? You clearly have no idea what training to be professional athlete is like. Having a good facility is wayyy better than having a "home-made plywood platform, rusty weights, and donated racks."

Having a good facility gives the athlete all the necessary tool to do everything he needs, wether it's a pool, a track or specialized machine to help precise muscle, all that while having staff there full time to help you and give you instructions. It has nothing to do with like you and me going to Énergie Cardio to do some bench press and biceps curls.
Pretty much this. Having a state of the art facility allows athletes to optimize workouts to focus on specific joints and muscles. It also helps athletes rehab from various injuries.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:06 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Training with the proper equipment under the supervision of the team with the proper physiotherapy equipment etc... is important in today's game. When the habs build it's new facility they mentioned it should help attract free agents. Also one of the arguments for american college hockey other than education is their top not facilities with time to train between games.
I'm going to ask you what "proper equipment" is, and why you think the bell sports complex in Brossard does not have this, just to get a better idea of your opinion.

Quote:

The fact that you think that a machine to help a precise muscle is in any way what our prospects need to become bigger, stronger, faster, and more explosive speaks volumes to the nature of your experience, or lack thereof, exemplified here in italics.

Isolation serves absolutely no role whatsoever in making our athletes stronger, or faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Pretty much this. Having a state of the art facility allows athletes to optimize workouts to focus on specific joints and muscles. It also helps athletes rehab from various injuries.
Simple, working out specific joints and muscles is simply not an optimal way to work out. So, in what way does having these fancy machines help you to "optimize" your workouts?

Old
06-27-2012, 08:09 PM
znk

Quote:
I'm going to ask you what "proper equipment" is, and why you think the bell sports complex in Brossard does not have this, just to get a better idea of your opinion.
Where did you get that idea?

Look you seem to think having proper facilities is not important. Our lead scout thinks it is. I'll go with his opinion over yours especially since it's also common sense.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:51 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JN5w...eature=related

Just found this..

I woke up and opened TV at Pick 47.. So for those who missed rounds 2-7. Go ahead lol

Old
06-28-2012, 12:43 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Where did you get that idea?
From the original quote: "it's better than ours." I said it's largely irrelevant. In order to do what Collberg needs to do, he absolutely does not need super duper facilities, and it's certainly not going to be any sort of a limiting factor on him if his only option were to work out in a garage.

Quote:
Look you seem to think having proper facilities is not important. Our lead scout thinks it is. I'll go with his opinion over yours especially since it's also common sense.
What a ******** adjective. Especially given that you just dodged a very simple question pertaining to this matter: what is your definition of "proper facilities"?

Look, you seem to have nothing to say, so why'd you say anything at all in the first place?

There is one basic fact in all of this, and I'm the only one saying it: in order to do what Collberg says himself he needs to do, he needs very little in the way of facilities, and therefore it matters little how "nice" they are. What he needs, in fact, will be available in any university gym, and 95% of commercial gyms. What he needs to do is the same in all of these places, and he can accomplish it in basically any gym. For around a grand, he could do it in his basement.

Is that hard for you to understand?

Closed Thread