HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

HHOF miss the boat on Lindros, out to lunch on Sundin

Old
06-27-2012, 07:01 AM
OurHometown
HFB Partner

vCash: 500

By Rob Soria

The Hockey Hall of Fame announced their 2012 induction class on Tuesday afternoon and there was one name that stuck out like a sore thumb. That being former Toronto Maple Leafs centre Mats Sundin. How he can get in on the first ballot, when former Philadelphia Flyers centre Eric Lindros remains on the outside looking in, is a mystery to me. To make matters worse, fellow first time nominee Brendan Shanahan somehow fell short of election, despite having better career totals than the former Leafs captain...can you say Toronto bias? I sure can and when it's this obvious, it's not even funny.

READ MORE...
http://www.ourhometown.ca/windsor/sports/RS0320.php

OurHometown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:19 AM
JMatt

The HHOF was already a total joke. This just affirms my opinion.

JMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:10 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I've got no problem with Sundin over Lindros. Sundin over Shanahan is more puzzling.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:12 AM
3Fs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I've got no problem with Sundin over Lindros. Sundin over Shanahan is more puzzling.
agree

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Mgkibbles

Sundin was better than Shanahan. Not sure why everyone is confused. Also, while I don't agree with Sundin over Lindros, I understand why. HHOF voters really queer up over durability. That's more important to them than sheer talent.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:13 AM
FlyersFan61290

More on the Lindros snub

Quote:
Of the members in this year’s class, Lindros is most comparable to Bure, a player with a similar career path that ended early due to injury problems.

In 13 NHL seasons, seven of which were spent with the Canucks, Bure recorded 779 points — 437 goals and 342 assists — in 702 games. A six-time All-Star, he led the league in goals three times. He played his last game at age 32.

Lindros, a seven-time All-Star who also played 13 years, racked up 372 goals and 493 assists in 760 games. For those who don’t like to do math, that’s 865 points — an average of 1.14 points per game, slightly higher than Bure’s 1.11.

On top of that, in 1994-95, Lindros won the Hart Trophy as the league’s most valuable player. In a lockout-shortened season, No. 88 recorded 70 points in just 46 games, leading the Flyers to their first postseason in six years.

That’s something Bure never accomplished in his Hall of Fame career.
Link: http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...166&feedID=704

FlyersFan61290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:16 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Sundin was better than Shanahan. Not sure why everyone is confused. Also, while I don't agree with Sundin over Lindros, I understand why. HHOF voters really queer up over durability. That's more important to them than sheer talent.
Well that explains Pavel Bure then.....

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Well that explains Pavel Bure then.....
****, forgot about Bure. That was a dumb one.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:45 AM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Bure's induction should mean that Lindros will be next. Keeping him out is a total joke at this point.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:04 AM
TheIceman26
The Mased God

writer is in the wrong here...the voters are always gonna pick the guy with the long durable career than the talent. Still with bure's induction there's no excuse for him not to get in next year. Does anyone think 88 has a shot of being a retired number here?

TheIceman26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:18 AM
bp spec

Sundin was worth being inducted. And it's not like Shanahan or Lindros won't be inducted later.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Not gonna be popular opinion around these parts but Bure was better player IMO

5 seasons of 50+ goals (60+ twice)

At his peak he was the finest goal scorer in NHL ,,

His 99-00 season in which he finished in 3rd place for Hart was IMO one of the most impressive seasons for a player

He came back from his 2nd reconstructive knee surgery on his right knee and put up 58 goals + 36 assists. He was the main reason the Panthers finished year 20 pts better then previous season and made it back to playoffs

And his 94 playoff run was more impressive then Lindros's 97 playoff run

Bure was electrifying in finals vs Rangers ,, Lindros (And entire Flyers team) laid an egg vs Wings

IMO Lindros will be waiting a bit longer for his ticket to HOF

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

His 99-00 season in which he finished in 3rd place for Hart was IMO one of the most impressive seasons for a player

He came back from his 2nd reconstructive knee surgery on his right knee and put up 58 goals + 36 assists. He was the main reason the Panthers finished year 20 pts better then previous season and made it back to playoffs

Bure was electrifying in finals vs Rangers ,, Lindros (And entire Flyers team) laid an egg vs Wings

Disagreed. Lindros over Bure.

06-27-2012, 11:33 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
It's an impossible opinion, not just an unpopular one.

At his peak, Lindros was the most unstoppable force I've ever seen. Bure was incredible too, but I give the nod to Lindros every time.

I would propose a poll, but I kind of already know Lindros would win.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Bure cherrypicked his way to goals. Lindros just ran over teams.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:42 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Lindros was an ******* when he played. and I am not talking about on the ice. like it or not that is going to play a factor when hes inducted.
this isnt a snub. I dont think he was a first ballot HHOF.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:43 AM
BWAVgal
WAR FACE!!!

And not having Pat Burns or Fred Shero in is a crime as well.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:48 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
And not having Pat Burns or Fred Shero in is a crime as well.
amen to that. How are either of these guys not in the HHOF right now.
sickening.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:

That's sillyness. Lindros averaged 1.39 ppg during his first seven years (Bure averaged 1.25 over his seven highest ppg seasons), Lindros played a more important position, and played a far better all-around game.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:21 PM
MsWoof

I have no issue with Sundin making it on his first ballot at all. As far as Burns goes, I think it's better that a few years go by before his inception because if he gets voted in too close to his death it will be worse and piss people off for not including him while he was still alive. Shero is another story, he should have been there ages ago.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:35 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Lindros was an ******* when he played. and I am not talking about on the ice. like it or not that is going to play a factor when hes inducted.
this isnt a snub. I dont think he was a first ballot HHOF.
He may not be a first ballot HHOF but that's not what's in question. Plus this was his 3rd year of eligibility. I wouldn't have been pissed if he was overlooked IF Bure was also overlooked.

FlyersFan61290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:

Bure scored a mega**** ton of goals.

Lindros scored a lot goals, had a lot of assists, ran people over, and played defense.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:07 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'd say in terms of the four people being mentioned, Shanny, Sundin, Bure, Lindros in that order. Shanny will get in, really confused as to why he didn't. Lindros is borderline. I know he had the talent but he didin't have the numbers, longevity, or Cups to bak it up.

Sundin is a no-brainer. The only reason I can understand people complaining about it is because Shanny didn't get in as well. If you have a PPG pace for over 1300 games, you will be inducted into the HOF. No Leafs by bias. No conspiracy. The guy is a HOFer.

Lindros's PPG+ pace was very impressive, and will likely get him in, but his lack of championships, controversy off the ice, and durability will keep him on the outside for another year and that is totally legitimate. Did hit any "milestone" numbers in his career and didn't win a championship and that will always hurt a player in any sport.

Bure, as noted above was one of the best goal scorers in the NHL for a while, he IMO, is on the same level as Lindros as a borderline guy, he just happened to get in this year. He didn't get the 500 goal mark but he had enough that people voted him in. Again, it would have be legitimate if he wasn't voted as well. Just like Lindros.

Shanahan, again to me is the most head scratching. He didn't have the PPG that Sundin had but he had more points and was a more complete player. I figured he'd be a shoe-in.

Was pulling for JR and thought he'd get in because he's one of the best Americans to ever play and he seemed like a popular guy among the NHL world. I think he'll get in eventually, maybe another year or two.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:17 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'd say in terms of the four people being mentioned, Shanny, Sundin, Bure, Lindros in that order. Shanny will get in, really confused as to why he didn't. Lindros is borderline. I know he had the talent but he didin't have the numbers, longevity, or Cups to bak it up.

Sundin is a no-brainer. The only reason I can understand people complaining about it is because Shanny didn't get in as well. If you have a PPG pace for over 1300 games, you will be inducted into the HOF. No Leafs by bias. No conspiracy. The guy is a HOFer.

Lindros's PPG+ pace was very impressive, and will likely get him in, but his lack of championships, controversy off the ice, and durability will keep him on the outside for another year and that is totally legitimate. Did hit any "milestone" numbers in his career and didn't win a championship and that will always hurt a player in any sport.

Bure, as noted above was one of the best goal scorers in the NHL for a while, he IMO, is on the same level as Lindros as a borderline guy, he just happened to get in this year. He didn't get the 500 goal mark but he had enough that people voted him in. Again, it would have be legitimate if he wasn't voted as well. Just like Lindros.

Shanahan, again to me is the most head scratching. He didn't have the PPG that Sundin had but he had more points and was a more complete player. I figured he'd be a shoe-in.

Was pulling for JR and thought he'd get in because he's one of the best Americans to ever play and he seemed like a popular guy among the NHL world. I think he'll get in eventually, maybe another year or two.
Agreed with all of this. I would put Lindros ahead of Bure slightly, but both were similarly dynamic but with short careers and I think eventually the Big E will get in. I will say that during Bure's career there were similar speedy goal-scoring wingers (Mogilny, Selanne, Bondra) but there was and continues to be only one Eric Lindros. That level of power/strength and skill is unmatched.

As for JR I agree, he was always a favorite of mine. If it was the EA Sports folks voting he'd be a slam dunk; it was epic how ridiculous Roenick was in NHL '93-'96 or so.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:11 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Lindros will get in but i gotta say there are some second class citizens that get inducted. i do think it should've been lindros over sundin. sundin was just a star in a huge market but was never really on lindros's level. some of these selections are pretty average players. not saying they weren't POPULAR players but not above and beyond.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote