HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Round V, Pick #142: Thomas Spelling

Old
06-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Tobias

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Tobias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad Brichards View Post

And he's from the same city as Frans Nielsen
and Peter Regin and Nicklas Jensen.

Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:57 PM
broadwayblue

What about Jannik Hansen, isn't he Danish? I had him on my NHL '11 team. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Piodale

Jannik Hansen is from the other major producer of hockey talent in Denmark; Rødovre - a suburb in Western Copenhagen. The same program that produced players such as Lars Eller and Mikkel Bødker.

Piodale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Ola

http://vikfancentral.se/jason-walter...nsfermarknaden

I am on the phone, but saw this link at RFC with some comments in Swedish from a Canadian player who played in Denmark las season (who gives his view on the Danes who will play in Swe this season).

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnelundefaret View Post
Off goes the Norwegains, welcome to the Danes
PS! Don't send you political corresponants to the press conferences. For Tort's sake.
Hehe, but I think Torts would have an alot easier time with Danes than Norwegians...

Old
06-25-2012, 01:54 PM
NYR Viper

I am extremely intrigued with this pick. Love everything I have read. Sounds like Jesper Fasth the year he was drafted. Secondary league with good stats.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
WOW @ Nick Ebert going LAST overall. Formerly looked at as a top 3 OVERALL pick two years ago. Talk about not developing. I called him going in the 5th or so round and was laughed at by some of the idiots on the main board. Last overall. Unreal.
Yeah that is a pretty unprecedented fall. Those interviews must have been pretty bad or something.

Now onto Spelling. Very interesting late round pick. Right hand shot, fluid snipers shot, finds the holes from the top circle on in. Check out the release from about 15 or 20 feet on the right side 13 seconds into this game recap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ2b2...feature=relmfu

Spelling scores a few in that game.

Not sure about his overall game, but this pick is also a boom or bust pick.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:13 AM
Jacob Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strap View Post
http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...ospects/page22

3/4 of the way down the page.

It will be a surprise to me if Spelling is not on the NT in ALL tournaments next season. He has so many assets the NT are in need of:

Goal scoring touch
A right shot
Good wrister
Speedy skates
Creativity on the powerplay
AND ONCE MORE... A RIGHT SHOT

To me, he is - besides Nicklas Jensen - the most interesting prospect to come out of the Danish league in the last 5-7 years. Well, since Peter Regin and Jannik Hansen. He has all the tools to become one of the best Danish players and whichever NHL team drafts him (if) have found a diamond in the rough.

When that is said, there is plenty of room for improvent:
Bulking up - fill out the frame. I'd say that Spelling's ideal "hockey weight" would be around 85-88 kg. But that is not something he should set for within 1 or 2 years. Focusing on building on muscles instead of adding more fat than actual muscle mass.
Improving the defensive aspect of his game
Bettering his strengths: Shot, skating etc.
Adjust to the tempo and speed of international hockey.
Being the original poster of the above quoted on International Hockey Forums, I totally can stand in for what I wrote a couple of months ago. Keep in mind, though, that it was written from a Danish perspective, where our ice hockey program is far from being as developed as the US program. When that is said, Spelling is a really interesting prospect and a well spent 5th round pick.

I hope that he will spend the next two-three years in Sweden, adjusting to the top pro game, and then head to the Rangers training camp prior to 2014-15/2015-16 season, trying to make the team.

Here is a couple of highlights from the past season. Thomas Spelling is #8.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKVQ0FHfovo
0:15
1:44
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyecY...feature=relmfu
1:18
1:27
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oONQ_DTr9WA
0:38
0:57
4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHrVg...feature=relmfu
0:10
5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLISdPn0NPo
Just watch the entire video. Spelling scores two goals and adds an assist on his team's second goal. I watched this game live on Danish tv and as far as I remember, it was one of the best performances by Spelling of the season. He looks to be offside on his first goal, but different camera angles proved he wasn't.
6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ2b2BxKpF0
0:18
1:57

Jacob Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Jacques Strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Christian View Post
Being the original poster of the above quoted on International Hockey Forums, I totally can stand in for what I wrote a couple of months ago. Keep in mind, though, that it was written from a Danish perspective, where our ice hockey program is far from being as developed as the US program. When that is said, Spelling is a really interesting prospect and a well spent 5th round pick.

I hope that he will spend the next two-three years in Sweden, adjusting to the top pro game, and then head to the Rangers training camp prior to 2014-15/2015-16 season, trying to make the team.

Here is a couple of highlights from the past season. Thomas Spelling is #8.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKVQ0FHfovo
0:15
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyecY...feature=relmfu
1:18
1:27
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oONQ_DTr9WA
0:38
0:57
4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHrVg...feature=relmfu
0:10
5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLISdPn0NPo
Just watch the entire video. Spelling scores two goals and adds an assist on his team's second goal. I watched this game live on Danish tv and as far as I remember, it was one of the best performances by Spelling of the season. He looks to be offside on his first goal, but different camera angles proved he wasn't.
6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ2b2BxKpF0
0:18
1:57

Thank you Jacob Christian for your insight and videos. Much appreciated. It is always interesting and refreshing to get a perspective from a person who has actually seen these players play instead of the usual BS spewed from the so-called "Draft Experts" around here. Come on, you know who you are.

Thanks again Jacob and keep the comments coming.

Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
I wonder if he's going to be picked in the CHL import draft.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Valdemar
Danish junior hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I wonder if he's going to be picked in the CHL import draft.
I very much doubt he will, that would be a wasted pick given his age and his SEL contract.

I wonder why so many of you would like for him to come to play in the CHL (besides to better be able to follow him)? He will clearly develop better in the SEL, and in 2-3 years he will be ready to come to NA. He is still very rough in his game, and he need to learn a lot and I believe he will do that better in a strong European league than in an American junior league.

I am sorry if I sound a little rough, but I have seen too many European players going to NA before they are ready, and ruining their career. Please be patient with this player, I actually believe he has a chance to become a 2nd to 3rd line NHL player if he is given sufficient time to develop right.

Valdemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:27 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesSir View Post
I very much doubt he will, that would be a wasted pick given his age and his SEL contract.

I wonder why so many of you would like for him to come to play in the CHL (besides to better be able to follow him)? He will clearly develop better in the SEL, and in 2-3 years he will be ready to come to NA. He is still very rough in his game, and he need to learn a lot and I believe he will do that better in a strong European league than in an American junior league.

I am sorry if I sound a little rough, but I have seen too many European players going to NA before they are ready, and ruining their career. Please be patient with this player, I actually believe he has a chance to become a 2nd to 3rd line NHL player if he is given sufficient time to develop right.
He should most definitely stay in Europe for at least 2-3 more years. The Rangers should think about bringing him over at 21 or 22. He is raw.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:27 AM
-31-
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesSir View Post

Will he play in the SEL?

-31- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:28 AM
NYR Viper

That is where he is playing next year -31-

Old
06-27-2012, 11:29 AM
-31-
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
That is where he is playing next year -31-
I mean will he actually see any ice-time?

-31- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Im absolutely certain he will play. Rögle wanted him, so he wasn't bought to sit warming the bench. The sportsmanager Pelle Svensson said they had tried to get him for 3 years for their hockeygymnasium. After he has been drafted they know its just a matter of time before he tries his luck in North America. To get him and not have him play right away will just be wasted money! He might be used sparingly at first given his age, but he will se icetime if he avoids injuries.

For Rögle's roster (some old names from NHL are there as well):
http://www.svenskafans.com/hockeyzon/rogle/trupp.aspx

Last edited by Justinov: 06-28-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Barnaby

The Swedes have done a great job developing players lately. I think it's a great move or him going into the SEL. Let him develop until he's 21-23, then hopeully we'll have a player on our hands...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:23 AM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
The Swedes have done a great job developing players lately. I think it's a great move or him going into the SEL. Let him develop until he's 21-23, then hopeully we'll have a player on our hands...
Exactly. The swedes have done wonders for us, and in my opinion I loved the pick and think he could turn out to be a steal as a great 3rd to 4th line player.

Of course everyone thinks their late round picks are steals, but I think this guy could turn out to be something special.

BigDaddyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:25 AM
NYR Viper

I don't think he will ever be a 4th liner. I doubt he comes over for that type of money and his style of play will most likely not suit what would be expected from the 4th, or even some 3rd liners.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:27 AM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

Quote:
I don't think he will ever be a 4th liner. I doubt he comes over for that type of money and his style of play will most likely not suit what would be expected from the 4th, or even some 3rd liners.
Yeah very valid point. I guess my heart is telling me that everyone of these picks are going to work out even though my head knows they won't.

BigDaddyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Justinov

Quote:
I agree. With his playing style and his good shot, he will right now probably be more of an possible 2nd liner or nothing, unless the swedish defensive discipline can change him into a skilled two-way forward (as they have done with so many danish players that play or have played 3'rd lines in NHL because of that training). But he is not in any way a 4'th line type.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:38 AM
NYR Viper

I think that all we can do is give him time to develop and hope he turns it on like Fasth (Fast now) did when he started playing in the SEL. The good news is that the last time the Rangers traded for a late round pick to choose a Euro it was Fasth and he turned out alright.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Justinov

Quote:
I think that all we can do is give him time to develop and hope he turns it on like Fasth (Fast now) did when he started playing in the SEL. The good news is that the last time the Rangers traded for a late round pick to choose a Euro it was Fasth and he turned out alright.
Since SEL is a very good league it will certainly be a measurement of how far he can go. and what kind of player he turns into when he matures! He certainly will learn a lot of defensive skills since SEL was fairly lowscoring last season (also stacked with lots of promising goalies). The Danish league is not exactly known for its quality defence (not so surprising when you have many teenage defenders), but it makes it great for offensive players to good lots of shots in matches and get confidence!

Old
06-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
My take form just seing the few clips of him is that he will play for sure if he does alright so to speak (read not piss his coach off or whatever). With very little information, I would bet that he is closer to playing a lot and doing really well than not playing much.

Old
11-14-2012, 06:50 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
My take form just seing the few clips of him is that he will play for sure if he does alright so to speak (read not piss his coach off or whatever). With very little information, I would bet that he is closer to playing a lot and doing really well than not playing much.
Sadly something like this seem to have happened?! To Spelling's frustration he has only played 2 matches as a 4'th liner in SEL and has spend most of his time on the Røgle U20 team instead. His plea for being send on loan to an Allsvenskan (league under SEL) club was denied as well.

According to Spelling: "It is as if the coach doesn’t believe in me, and I never really get any feedback other than being told that “things are going in the right direction”. But he never really speaks to me, unless I come to him first".

Røgle has loaned out 2 other forwards, so he is "promised to play more in the future, maybe after new year" according to danish news (12/11) - but it really seems like an impossible situation for a player. Being headhunted by a club and then left hanging on the sideline, being refused to be loaned out while other players in the club are!

At least his production on Røgle U20 is good:
8G 12A in 17 games. (that's 6-12 on the ranking in SuperElit).