HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JT trying to play a role in Labor Agreement

Old
06-27-2012, 11:16 AM
IslesArchieFan
Oh Cptn, My Cptn

vCash: 500
JT trying to play a role in Labor Agreement

In case you needed another reason to love this guy...

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...medium=twitter

For the sake of the NHL i hope this get resolved. Another lockout will kill this sport.

IslesArchieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:23 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Great kid, he really can do no wrong. We all know he's a beast on the ice, but what he does off the ice just shows what kind of person he is. Picking him #1 overall just looks like a better move every passing day.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:24 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Completely agree. Any sort of stopage less than a decade after the last one will destroy hockey. Its already the least popular of the big 4 sports & on most media outlets, golf/nascar are right there with it or surpassing itt. Bettman has to realize that. Things are good with the game now, don't eff it up.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
Completely agree. Any sort of stopage less than a decade after the last one will destroy hockey. Its already the least popular of the big 4 sports & on most media outlets, golf/nascar are right there with it or surpassing itt. Bettman has to realize that. Things are good with the game now, don't eff it up.
Nascar has the highest TV rating of all dont they ?

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:27 AM
StumpNYI

In other news, John Tavares, at 21, leads a group of investors and purchases the New York Islanders, names him self General Manager, Head Scout, and Head Coach. Then votes himself in as team captain.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Islanderfan17

My man crush grows bigger every time I read stuff like this, how can you not love this guy?

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:37 AM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Why the **** is he not the Islanders Captain.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:42 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Why the **** is he not the Islanders Captain.
I think it's only a matter of time. The guy is essentially carrying the franchise on his back already and has the unenviable task of trying to offset all the negative media attention surrounding the Isles almost all by his lonesome since no one pays any attention to anyone else on this team. Let's not forget that he's still a kid.

I'm tempted to add the 'C' to my JT jersey right now, but I'll wait. No need to put yet more pressure on him.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:52 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Great kid, he really can do no wrong. We all know he's a beast on the ice, but what he does off the ice just shows what kind of person he is. Picking him #1 overall just looks like a better move every passing day.
Best post of the day ! He was 13, eight years ago, I'm sure he remembers how bad it was without NHL Hockey. This kid is the real deal, I can definitely see him as a captain and hoisting the Stanley Cup, hopefully for the Islanders. He's mature beyond his years. Hopefully he can help save hockey.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
In other news, John Tavares, at 21, leads a group of investors and purchases the New York Islanders, names him self General Manager, Head Scout, and Head Coach. Then votes himself in as team captain.
He'd never Vote himself Captain, he is too Humble

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Riddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
To be fair, he would probably pick someone else to be captain. He's humble as hell..

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:17 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Best post of the day ! He was 13, eight years ago, I'm sure he remembers how bad it was without NHL Hockey. This kid is the real deal, I can definitely see him as a captain and hoisting the Stanley Cup, hopefully for the Islanders. He's mature beyond his years. Hopefully he can help save hockey.
Haha, a compliment from you scotty? I'm touched. We've been butting heads a bit regarding the Draft, but the mere mention of JT unites us.

He put on a Herculean effort this past season and he goes off and decides, 'I'm going to Chicago to sit through 9 hours of labor talk because I want to help out my fellow NHLers and anyone else remotely interested in hockey avoid another lockout.' That's not normal for a 21 year old. It's really not. I have a hard time recalling if he ever uses the word 'me' either. It's always 'the team, the organization, my teammates, etc.'. There's seriously something wrong with this kid. Go out and have some fun for once Johnny like someone normal. You're making a lot of other hockey players (and people in general) look really bad.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:14 PM
JKP

Quote:
I think it's only a matter of time. The guy is essentially carrying the franchise on his back already and has the unenviable task of trying to offset all the negative media attention surrounding the Isles almost all by his lonesome since no one pays any attention to anyone else on this team. Let's not forget that he's still a kid.

I'm tempted to add the 'C' to my JT jersey right now, but I'll wait. No need to put yet more pressure on him.
When I bought my 6 yr old a Tavares jersey two years ago I got it with a C on it. August of 2010 we were at Jon Sim's charity play with the pros game and when my little guy asked him to sign the jersey, he commented, "Tavares as Captain, eh? Yeah, it probably won't be too long."

I'm guessing JT has a monster year this year and the team votes to give him the C next year.

JKP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
When I bought my 6 yr old a Tavares jersey two years ago I got it with a C on it. August of 2010 we were at Jon Sim's charity play with the pros game and when my little guy asked him to sign the jersey, he commented, "Tavares as Captain, eh? Yeah, it probably won't be too long."

I'm guessing JT has a monster year this year and the team votes to give him the C next year.
IMO as long as Streit is here he remains Captian

Old
06-27-2012, 01:33 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Nascar has the highest TV rating of all dont they ?
i wasnt just saying purely tv rankings...youre probably right, but would you say nascar is more popular than football? in the us, its nfl/mlb/ nba.........nhl/nascar/pga............................................... ..wnba.........soccer

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:48 PM
StrongIslanders90

man we are not worthy of this kid.......

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
i wasnt just saying purely tv rankings...youre probably right, but would you say nascar is more popular than football? in the us, its nfl/mlb/ nba.........nhl/nascar/pga............................................... ..wnba.........soccer
I know I am in the minority on these boards in that I actually like Soccer. I also know this may come off as biased and I may be nitpicking but really WNBA ahead of soccer? Even if I hated soccer there is no way I would believe that to be true. IMHO soccer is light years ahead of the WNBA and if Tiger doesn't stop sucking/another young phenom doesn't captivate the golf world, soccer should be catching up to that pretty soon as well.

If you want to go by what ESPN thinks (I don't watch that channel anymore for this reason alone) it goes more like this:

NFL/NBA..... MLB.... NASCAR/GOLF...............................POKER....SOCCER .................................................. .................................................. .....NHL.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:37 PM
scott99

Quote:
Haha, a compliment from you scotty? I'm touched. We've been butting heads a bit regarding the Draft, but the mere mention of JT unites us.

He put on a Herculean effort this past season and he goes off and decides, 'I'm going to Chicago to sit through 9 hours of labor talk because I want to help out my fellow NHLers and anyone else remotely interested in hockey avoid another lockout.' That's not normal for a 21 year old. It's really not. I have a hard time recalling if he ever uses the word 'me' either. It's always 'the team, the organization, my teammates, etc.'. There's seriously something wrong with this kid. Go out and have some fun for once Johnny like someone normal. You're making a lot of other hockey players (and people in general) look really bad.
PW Junior, we didn't butt heads about the draft, I was right, and you were wrong, plain and simple, just kidding buddy.

One thing we can unite together about is we love the Islanders, and I don't think ANY Islander's fan can dislike JT.

As far as him going out and having fun and acting normal, he can't, he's a machine, a hockey machine. No fun when you are locked in trying to be the best.

I've been an Tavares fan for years, the first time I heard about him I wanted him on the Islanders. I had bought Tavares Pre-rookie cards a year before we drafted him. On draft night 2009, my heart was in my throat until Snow said, "we are proud to select, John Tavares".

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
JT is actually the youngest player on the NHLPA committee.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:53 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Ricky D is also on the committee.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
If you want to go by what ESPN thinks (I don't watch that channel anymore for this reason alone) it goes more like this:

NFL/NBA..... MLB.... NASCAR/GOLF...............................POKER....SOCCER .................................................. .................................................. .....NHL.
I think ESPN thinks its:
NFL..............................NBA/MLB....NHL/SOCCER/POKER/GOLF.........................NASCAR

Nascar's ratings have taken a plummet the last several years.

In reality it is

NFL...NBA/MLB...then everything else

They love the NFL too much. When there was a labor stoppage in Football last year I could hear concern in the voices one of their ****** anchors, everytime they were reporting about it. When this almost happened to the NBA they didnt seem as concerned. I really believe the guy that runs that station loves NFL and everything else is secondary. (I don't believe its the ("great" NFL) ratings only, because lets face it the NFL gets as many fans as the NBA and MLB do, it just has less games to get them)

Last edited by Pnut: 06-27-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
I think ESPN thinks its:
NFL..............................NBA/MLB....NHL/SOCCER/POKER/GOLF.........................NASCAR

Nascar's ratings have taken a plummet the last several years.

In reality it is

NFL...NBA/MLB...then everything else

They love the NFL too much. When there was a labor stoppage in Football last year I could hear concern in the voices one of their ****** anchors, everytime they were reporting about it. When this almost happened to the NBA they didnt seem as concerned. I really believe the guy that runs that station loves NFL and everything else is secondary. (I don't believe its the ("great" NFL) ratings only, because lets face it the NFL gets as many fans as the NBA and MLB do, it just has less games to get them)
I will have to disagree on where you think ESPN's priorities are. I truly believe hockey is dead last. Trust me, I don't count on ESPN for my hockey news anymore. It's NHL Network for me but from what I remember, hockey was an afterthought. ESPN is in love with the NFL and NBA. Even baseball takes a backseat to those sports it seems. And just look what sports ESPN shows. I know the NHL no longer has a contract with them but that should tell you something. That damn channel shows poker for christ sakes! And pool! They spend more time on that than the NHL.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Fantom

Nascar might even have more viewers than the NFL guys. I am pretty sure i heard that a few times

Old
06-27-2012, 05:07 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Nascar might even have more viewers than the NFL guys. I am pretty sure i heard that a few times
Nope.

In 2011, NASCAR on FOX averaged a 5.0 rating (8.6M viewers) - up from a 4.8 (7.8M viewers) in 2010, but down from FOX's high of a 5.6 (9.3M viewers) in 2007.

In 2011, the NFL regular season averaged 17.5M viewers. NBC Sunday Night Football was the highest rated US prime time series (for the second year in a row) w/ a 21.5M viewers avg.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:15 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
As a fanbase how can we not take pride in JT, he continues to impress? An exemplary representative for NYI.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote