HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2012-2013 Season

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Homunculous

vCash: 500
What about a Mueller signing on the cheap since he wasn't qualified. Mueller + Gagne could = 82 games from a dynamic scoring winger for around 5/6mil. Problem is we could very well see their injuries fall in line with each other and not benefit.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Quattro

what the hell kind of farm does he have in Phoenix? A cactus farm?

Old
06-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Reclamation Project
黄熱病

vCash: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
what the hell kind of farm does he have in Phoenix? A cactus farm?
Exactly what I've been thinking!

Old
06-27-2012, 11:25 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
I guess my point is that since LA doesn't NEED to pay him huge dollars, Phoenix could easily offer the same or more. Thus, why move, considering statistically our odds of winning the Stanley Cup two years in a row are remote (unless you're a Kings fan, whereby the odds change to quite good )?

edit: That being said - the Kings need a Doan "type" - that is, an accomplished, respected, talented leader who has never won the Cup. Someone whose need to win will be infectious in a room full of recent and hungover Cup winners. I'm not saying make him the captain, but he's going to have to be a leader. Far as I'm concerned, this is the only player the Kings currently lack. And the Penner situation, as much as I liked how Penner responded in the playoffs, gives the Kings the PERFECT opportunity to get that type of player. I'm not sure Parise brings that hunger, just yet.
If the that's the train of thought, I'd rather see DL go after Smyth for around 3 mil than Doan... Whitney I could see being another one as well. I don't think Doan can be that "cupless presence" in the room with out hurting the chemistry of the rest of the team...

Old
06-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Reclamation Project
黄熱病

vCash: 592
Absolutely no way we go after Ryan Smyth. No thank you.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:30 AM
SLang

Excluding the "top" guys like Parise, about the only other guy I see on the FA list who might bring the respect and hunger for a Cup win is Lee Stempniak. Not sure about his ankle injury recovery. Also not sure how positionally versatile he is.

* same age as Penner.
* wouldn't break the bank.
* never won the Cup.
* 28 points in 61 reg season games vs. Penner's 17 in 65.
* has played in the West before so shouldn't have an issue with coming here.

Remember, the key thought here is not necessarily to land the "big fish", but to bring in a guy who fits, who's skilled, who's never won the Cup and can help motivate those who have.

Gagne on the 2nd line, Stempniak on the 3rd.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Did somebody just suggest Ryan Smyth? Good lord what is wrong with you? He's the slowest player in the NHL.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:41 AM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Did somebody just suggest Ryan Smyth? Good lord what is wrong with you? He's the slowest player in the NHL.
LOL, I cringed a little, too.

Also, Whitney? We need to stay away from the AARP crowd.....

Old
06-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

lets not stop at Smyth, 3rd line of Smyth-Zeus-Frolov please

Old
06-27-2012, 12:03 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Oh. My. Lord. Someone suggested Ryan Smyth? I don't even want to go back and read the post lol that's horrendous. Remember when he was on our first line hahahaha God save us

Old
06-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:

Right now, we have the absolute perfect mix of veteran leadership and talented youth.

'Nuff said.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Duc620

Quote:
.... That being said - the Kings need a Doan "type" ....
This is the essence of the discussion.

To me, the Kings don't actually need a Doan type. We have plenty of leadership made up of people who dug themselves out of a "left for dead" hole, grinded it to make the playoffs, and then fought and played and bled for each other to win every hockey players dream trophy. We already have what Doan brings. And they're already a team.

Now's the time to start teaching youngsters how do follow the current team's leaders and do it the "Kings Way".

Old
06-27-2012, 12:10 PM
INGLEWOOD JACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
If the that's the train of thought, I'd rather see DL go after Smyth for around 3 mil than Doan... Whitney I could see being another one as well. I don't think Doan can be that "cupless presence" in the room with out hurting the chemistry of the rest of the team...
Barf. Doan on a 3 year /4 mil per deal would be awesome for the second line. Ott would be a great pick-up @ the deadline.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
I don't think we need a Doan type. If somebody in the front office did, I just hope they wouldn't budge on giving him more than one year. If he's good, keep giving him one year deals until he's not good.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:16 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

My only real concern going into next season is a reliable sniper on the left side in our top 6 and now that we have re-signed Stoll how we are going to fit everyone and continue to provide enough incentive to keep our kids happy down on the farm.

The LW question and everything else can be solved from within but I would be surprised if it will be. I am not saying that it wouldn't be better solved by signing a UFA, just saying that we can add another serviceable LW 3/2 guy from within and still be good.

Of course a deal or two may make things more interesting but only time will tell what will happen. Either way we are a contender next season and once the playoffs start anything can happen as we have all seen.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:22 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
My only real concern going into next season is a reliable sniper on the left side in our top 6 and now that we have re-signed Stoll how we are going to fit everyone and continue to provide enough incentive to keep our kids happy down on the farm.

The LW question and everything else can be solved from within but I would be surprised if it will be. I am not saying that it wouldn't be better solved by signing a UFA, just saying that we can add another serviceable LW 3/2 guy from within and still be good.

Of course a deal or two may make things more interesting but only time will tell what will happen. Either way we are a contender next season and once the playoffs start anything can happen as we have all seen.
Gagne is such a tough predicament. Clearly the right answer.....but how long will he last?

Old
06-27-2012, 12:28 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Gagne is such a tough predicament. Clearly the right answer.....but how long will he last?
I know, ask the N'ing and Philly before us. I think that when he is healthy he is a good plan B type of top 6 LW but he has been so banged up for the past 4 seasons with 3 big head hits during that time too that we are really gambling if we are going to rely on him.

Puts allot of pressure on our 3rd line LW to be able to step up if we don't address it. Between King Cliford and co we could hold our own for a spell but if Gagne goes down for as long as he has the past two seasons then things could get dicey.

Not a sign Parise type of dicey but not a great place to be either, maybe. If things can run smoothly until we pass the mid way point of the season then we might be able to rely on one of the kids to step in and bring some scoring relief if I am right but if Gagne crashes early we will need some help or that is what I think.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:28 PM
INGLEWOOD JACK

Anyone think Lombardi will go hard at Suter?

I bet Lombardi targets Suter as much as Parise. Dean has a track record of targeting top tier FA d-men (Chara, Martin).

Suter would be an awesome fit with Doughty for years.

Scuds is a UFA after next season and could partner with Greene for the ultimate 3rd pairing shutdown unit (w/ Martinez and the 7th d-man for 1 season). Or he could be traded.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:41 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:

Yet you yourself suggested a 35 year old Doan...

For what it's worth my Smyth comment is basically due to him being the ONLY other veteran forward out there without a cup this offseason. I don't want any of Doan, Whitney, or Smyth as I don't think this team needs a cup hungry veteran to succeed. If I had my way I'd look at resigning Penner or moving King to the 2nd line and call it good...

Old
06-27-2012, 12:46 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

I'm not sold on Parise he looks mentally weak first off.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:56 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Huselius or Stempniak? Or someone similiar and just platoon the two? Both could be had for cheap and then use them alongside Gagne on like a rest every couple of games basis?

Old
06-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Leo W

vCash: 50
Oh please let us sign Lee Stempniak, family friend (from Buffalo). I'd have great opportunities to party with the Kings.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:08 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by INGLEWOOD JACK View Post
I bet Lombardi targets Suter as much as Parise. Dean has a track record of targeting top tier FA d-men (Chara, Martin).

Suter would be an awesome fit with Doughty for years.

Scuds is a UFA after next season and could partner with Greene for the ultimate 3rd pairing shutdown unit (w/ Martinez and the 7th d-man for 1 season). Or he could be traded.
They're going to keep Martinez because the philosophy has always been stay at home paired with a puck mover. We all saw how valuable that was in the playoffs. The problem with this, is that the moment it becomes public, what do you tell Scuderi? You better be damn sure you GET Suter and you have an immediate taker for Scuderi or you risk alienating a key cog of your championship run if you fail to actually land Suter. Much different scenario than Penner, who is UFA. Scuderi has a year left on his contract. I'm not saying I wouldn't want Suter, but there better be a good plan in place in case he goes elsewhere, which is likely.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:12 PM
damacles1156

Lombardi is not moving Scuds, You guys need to put that thought out of your head.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:19 PM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homunculous View Post
What about a Mueller signing on the cheap since he wasn't qualified. Mueller + Gagne could = 82 games from a dynamic scoring winger for around 5/6mil. Problem is we could very well see their injuries fall in line with each other and not benefit.
Low risk high reward, why not. That could be plan C.

Closed Thread