HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Where does Gerbe fit in going forward?

Old
06-27-2012, 10:56 AM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
6 goals, 19 assists in 62 games.

Is he a scoring player? He brings something, but he's got to produce more offensively this year if he's going to stay in the NHL.
Possibly on a secondary scoring line.

From January on during the 10-11 season he was on a torrid goal scoring pace. 40gms 15g 9a 24pts (30 goal pace). But that was with a Corsi that was 14th among 14 Sabre forwards playing in 30+ games and a qualcomp that was 10th out of 14. Basically Gerbe/Goose were getting easier sheltered minutes.

This season he had the exact opposite role and was used primarily as a defensive player. He was #1 among Sabre forwards (30+gms) in Corsi and #4 in qualcom. Obviously his offense suffered in that role.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-27-2012 at 11:02 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
He should be the LW on a real shutdown line... Leino, and his stupid contract blocks him from a role he deserves...

in a better world...

Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville - top line, receives opponent top checking
Gerbe-XXXX-Kaleta/Tropp/Leino - checking line, takes opponent top line
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford - feasts on the in between

edit : hopefully we trade Roy for XXXX
I like it. A primed Hecht would be a perfect fit in between them.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm not asking for a specific line he belongs on. I'm asking where he fits in on the team.

- Is he a top 9 guy in a 3 line set up?
- Is he best suited to a checking role?
- should he be a 4th line energy player?
- should he be moved?
yes
probably
if necessary
no

the point is... he's versatile. I think you could play him on a top 6 line if you had the right talent with him (a la dupuis w/ crosby)... or you can use him on a checking line because he's very good defensively. And if you have amazing depth, he's not out of place on a 4th line/energy line either (a la s.gionta)

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Gerbe needs to work on his hands, his speed and hustle is great, I can't count how many times last year he had prime scoring opportunities because he just smoked a defenseman and couldn't deliver. That said, we seem to be getting bigger and Gerbe's hustle, attitude and leadership is very important.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Salzig
I am laudable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm not asking for a specific line he belongs on. I'm asking where he fits in on the team.

- Is he a top 9 guy in a 3 line set up?
- Is he best suited to a checking role?
- should he be a 4th line energy player?
- should he be moved?

Using the line combos is a jumping off point for the disucussion.

How else can you discuss where a player belongs if you don't use the current depth chart and speculate on needs for the team? And how in the world is it too soon to discuss where he fits in? The point being is it could impact what happens on July 1st. Its no different than discussing where any other player fits in next year.
I don't mind the thread in specific, but the discussions about several line combinations (which tend to come along with these kind of threats).

As I said, I see Gerbe as a depth player who can play on a scoring line as on a checking line. I don't think that he's a lock for a scoring/checking line either. He's the last peace in the puzzle I would add to the lines, because he's quite flexible.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:46 AM
tsujimoto74

Gerbe is an incredibly versatile player, a real good depth guy to have. He can just contribute in so many ways: high energy player, can chip in offensively, great hustle, good agitator, solid defensively. Anyone who can help out in that many areas of the game has a role somewhere. Depending on what other changes get made, injuries throughout the season, etc., his role is one that will probably get shuffled around a bit, and that's fine. It can't possibly hurt a team to have a 4th liner than can slide up to 3rd or 2nd if need be.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:37 PM
rkorchinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Gerbe is an incredibly versatile player, a real good depth guy to have. He can just contribute in so many ways: high energy player, can chip in offensively, great hustle, good agitator, solid defensively. Anyone who can help out in that many areas of the game has a role somewhere. Depending on what other changes get made, injuries throughout the season, etc., his role is one that will probably get shuffled around a bit, and that's fine. It can't possibly hurt a team to have a 4th liner than can slide up to 3rd or 2nd if need be.
Agree completely. A true contender isn't made up of all superstars. It is built on solid role players who contribute.

Last year, there were 10-15 games where the entire team played flat but Gerbe was always working. Part of that can be attributed to the back-to-back games but given the infrequency of those this year and the consistency of someone being hurt, let him be the energy guy and fill in when needed.

rkorchinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:38 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkorchinski View Post
Agree completely. A true contender isn't made up of all superstars. It is built on solid role players who contribute.

Last year, there were 10-15 games where the entire team played flat but Gerbe was always working. Part of that can be attributed to the back-to-back games but given the infrequency of those this year and the consistency of someone being hurt, let him be the energy guy and fill in when needed.
Actually there were times last year when I felt Gerbe wasn't the sparkplug he usually is--especially earlier in the season. I know I've commented on it in GDTs and GBUs...but I'm too lazy to dig it up.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:30 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Actually there were times last year when I felt Gerbe wasn't the sparkplug he usually is--especially earlier in the season. I know I've commented on it in GDTs and GBUs...but I'm too lazy to dig it up.
The entire team lacked energy for big stretches of the season. Just something off with team chemistry or confidence or coaching or maybe it was the toughness of stretches of the schedule -- something -- where most players seemed to struggle to show up. Singling out Gerbe on a lackluster team...Eh.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
The entire team lacked energy for big stretches of the season. Just something off with team chemistry or confidence or coaching or maybe it was the toughness of stretches of the schedule -- something -- where most players seemed to struggle to show up. Singling out Gerbe on a lackluster team...Eh.
Probably a combination of shifting roles and ice time with the number of roster fluctuations. The defense had nights where they had no outlets since the forwards were cheating. The defense and forwards didn't help themselves with nights where they were making bantam-level stickhandling mistakes at their own bluelines. Then the goaltending had things going right through them... Confidence and momentum eroded and disappeared like a Luke Adam backcheck.

06-27-2012, 03:36 PM
matthew94

Send a message via AIM to matthew94
Yes, I love Gerbe as the perfect 13th forward... recognizing that almost all year long SOMEONE is injured. Gerbe can play on a scoring line, a shut-down line, or a havoc line without problem in my opinion. He's cheap and still has some upside.

matthew94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
He should be the LW on a real shutdown line... Leino, and his stupid contract blocks him from a role he deserves...

in a better world...

Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville - top line, receives opponent top checking
Gerbe-XXXX-Kaleta/Tropp/Leino - checking line, takes opponent top line
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford - feasts on the in between

edit : hopefully we trade Roy for XXXX
I'm OK with those lines after UFA, with Roy for Ott.

Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville
Leino - Ott - Gerbe
Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Tropp - McCormick - Kaleta

Not perfect. Not terrible.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Gerbe fits wherever needed going forward. When players like Girgensons, Sundher, and Cat start filtering in, it might become a tight squeeze for Gerbe, but for now he inarguably has a role on the team... whatever that role may be.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Husko

He will play against top players next season, just like he did this season. call it a checking line, a 4th line, whatever you want. That's what it will be. Him, Kaleta and someone else.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:40 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Like many others have said, he has a place.... it's just hard to find it.

Foligno-Ennis-Stafford is practically set in stone. I think it's agreed that this line will benefit from the lower pairing defenses and be a scoring line.

I think Hodgson will have a very good year and play with Vanek and Pominville. This will be our "top" line and take on the other team's best defense pairing.

Roy could possibly become a versatile 3rd line center. He could play with Leino and Gerbe (Leino being the weak link on an otherwise good defensive line). They'll be a dangerous scoring threat (Hopefully) and also be able to play against the opponent's top line.

Vanek-Roy-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Roy-Gerbe
Tropp-Dominic Moore-Kaleta

Deep, competitive team top to bottom. You may now rip this to shreds

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Sabretip

From Bill Hoppe's analysis of Sabre wingers:

Quote:
Nathan Gerbe

Contract: $1.45 million cap hit, two years remaining

2011-12 statistics: 62 games, six goals, 25 points, plus-2, 14:12 average ice time

Gerbe, an elite scorer in the NCAA and AHL, appeared to be developing into a strong NHL threat late in 2010-11, tallying nine times in the final 20 games and seven times in March.

But the diminutive American, despite some great work as a checker, regressed offensively last season, showcasing an alarming lack of finish. He probably topped the Sabres in botched chances.

For some perspective on his 4.4 shooting percentage (137 shots), defenseman Jordan Leopold scored 10 goals on 110 shots (9.1).

Gerbe’s talented enough to score 20 or more goals annually. But if he doesn’t next season, you wonder if he ever will.
http://niagara-gazette.com/prosports...h-expectations

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:51 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post
Where can Gerbe fit? The overhead compartment

:rimshot:
Husky Garanimals? Do they make such a thing?

Definitely has a role/spot on this team. Defensive responsibility & straight-line speed down the wing / into the corner that few others have. I'm not as concerned about his offensive production / lack thereof the 2nd half of last year.

Related,
Who are the top 4 pk-ers heading into camp?

29-9-36-42 ? Hodgson?

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:51 PM
SoFFacet

On a quality team I see him as 4th line energy with the ability to fill in the top-9 to spark the team or in case of injury. He's tenacious but I don't see him as either an ideal scoring (lack of finish) or checking (size, sorry) forward.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:24 AM
Wisent42

Gerbe fits because he isn't tied to a certain role or dependent on being paired with a certain player. As you've all testified, he can be used in a number of different situations and that's gotta be the kind of player every coach loves. The way Ruff shuffles the lines during games a guy like Gerbe has to be really valuable.

We love sketching lines because we are fans and it's summer so we are bored. And when you draw the lines, it's kind of hard to find that optimal spot for Gerbe on the team. But we also know that once on the ice, those lines don't matter. Lindy will shuffle them around depending on where the game is going and who goes down with a concussion. So yes, Gerbe will be there. I would say that he doesn't just fit, he fits perfectly.

But if I had to put him in a specific role, I'd use him on a checking line with Kaleta. A small guy like that with the strength and speed he's got, it's gotta be like being hit by a canonball. I want him chasing defencemen. I want to see that glow in his game where he just doesn't give a rats ass who he's up against. Like when he went after Chara and looked like he wanted to pick a fight and Chara was like "you serious man?". That attitude can get under peoples skin.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:36 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post
Gerbe fits because he isn't tied to a certain role or dependent on being paired with a certain player. As you've all testified, he can be used in a number of different situations and that's gotta be the kind of player every coach loves. The way Ruff shuffles the lines during games a guy like Gerbe has to be really valuable.
This is similar to what I was going to say. He meshes well in a lot of places:
-Not out of place as a 2nd line scoring winger
-Good on a shut down line
-Excellent energy and scoring depth in a role with 4th line and special teams minutes

I wouldn't be surprised to see him fill all of those slots at times during this season. I think the bigger influence on where he ends up in the line up will be whether or not the team adds a FA, and how versatile that player is. I'm guessing that any addition to the team puts Tropp out of the opening lineup.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:08 PM
SoFFacet

Sorry to be such a contrarian, but here's how I see it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
-Not out of place as a 2nd line scoring winger
On what basis? He hasn't displayed any above average passing or shooting ability, and in fact showed an alarming lack of finish last year.

Quote:
-Good on a shut down line
Again, how? While he is tenacious, his size prevents him from being an ideal shot blocker, and his lack of reach mitigates his ability to intercept passes or pressure pointmen.

Quote:
-Excellent energy and scoring depth in a role with 4th line and special teams minutes
This I agree with, the one thing he's demonstrably good at is scrumming on the boards, which to me screams 4LW that can fill the top9 in emergencies.

Old
06-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post

On what basis? He hasn't displayed any above average passing or shooting ability, and in fact showed an alarming lack of finish last year.
Previous to last season he scored 16 goals and 31 points in 64 games averaging 13:20 TOI and probably minimal PP time. Last season he played largely in a checking role with Kaleta and Gaustad as linemates. He had a bad season, but that was surely a major reason, not to mention just about every one of his teammates had down years as well.

No one thinks he's going to be a dynamo at this point but he has more offensive talent than the average 3rd line player.

Quote:
Again, how? While he is tenacious, his size prevents him from being an ideal shot blocker, and his lack of reach mitigates his ability to intercept passes or pressure pointmen.
Are shots 6 feet in the air? His size should have minimal impact on his ability to block shots. While his wingspan has negative impact on his ability to intercept passes and pressure pointmen, his very good footspeed helps bridge the gap, as does his relatively long stick.

Gerbe may not be the most ideal player for any particular role but he is very adept at filling several and until further notice he is a valued contributor. I'm interested in seeing how his 3rd NHL season goes. My guess is still that he won't currently be in the team's longterm plans but I hope he forces his way into them.

Last edited by Rob Paxon: 06-29-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:08 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
From Bill Hoppe's analysis of Sabre wingers:

http://niagara-gazette.com/prosports...h-expectations
20 goals annually is a bit of a stretch for me. Regardless, he has a place on this team somewhere.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:36 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:

This I agree with, the one thing he's demonstrably good at is scrumming on the boards, which to me screams 4LW that can fill the top9 in emergencies.

You seem eager to split hairs. Gerbe was a consistent scorer in college and the minors. He has yet to translate it to the NHL, but when his scoring touch is clicking, he's been serviceable (I.e. Not out of place) on scoring lines.

If you think that he wasn't strong in a shut down role with Gaustad and Kaleta... Well, we may not be able to agree on anything. What I think is funny is that you think that he's too small to play a defensive game, but think that he's fine as a 4th line grinder.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:49 AM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
You seem eager to split hairs. Gerbe was a consistent scorer in college and the minors. He has yet to translate it to the NHL, but when his scoring touch is clicking, he's been serviceable (I.e. Not out of place) on scoring lines.
When precisely was that?

Quote:
If you think that he wasn't strong in a shut down role with Gaustad and Kaleta... Well, we may not be able to agree on anything.
GGK was an energy line that worked by scrumming on the offensive zone boards for the entire shift. The effect of the line was good, its not the same as an optimal defensive line that can also suffocate options when the opponent gains the zone.

Quote:
What I think is funny is that you think that he's too small to play a defensive game, but think that he's fine as a 4th line grinder.
4th line energy is another role entirely than shutdown line.