HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Development Camp Thread (June 27-July 2)

Old
06-27-2012, 10:43 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Not always. Sometimes they start with the skaters on one side and the goalies on the other. Depending on the day, you may have to just hope you guess right. 50/50 chance.
Yeah they often split them based on the drills scheduled. Sometimes they have forwards and defence split with the goalies getting shelled by the forwards; sometimes the goalies are off on their own; sometimes the alternate rink is locked down for 1-3 players to work on specifics, usually getting their stride and movements recorded (presumably to work on form throughout the summer).

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Beerfish

Will this camp be fully dedicated to teaching the Swiss Trap?

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Lawgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
And once again I make myself look stupid
Haha. I tend to do that at least once a day!

Lawgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:50 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Man maybe Pitlick is hurt and taking the time off. He needs all the help he can get with the development of his offensive game at this point. I'm still hoping that he turns into a top 6 forward.
I thought this development camp was only for players who hadn't played professional hockey? Pitlick has already played a full season in the AHL... I could be wrong though.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:50 PM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

Any updates? Bruce McCurdy's twitter feed perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

ToeDrag83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:56 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeDrag83 View Post
Any updates? Bruce McCurdy's twitter feed perhaps?

Thanks in advance.
Staples too, and Guy Flaming.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:04 PM
plikestechno

Went for the first time today. Always working when it happens but on vacation for the next couple of weeks. Wouldn`t go every day but it was nice to go for once. Might hit the 3 on 3 tourney Monday if I have nothing going on.

Lots of nervous kids out there trying to impress. First day too.

Nail`s skill set is obvious and elite. They way the puck comes off his stick is incredible.

Can`t wait for Klefbom to come over here. So fast but controlled and smooth too.

Martindale still sucks. Rieder`s hands are like butter.

I liked Perhonen a lot today. Covers so much net, great glove hand. If we didn`t have Chabot I`d be more confident in one of Bunz or Perhonen becoming a future starter. Instead he will probably ruin them. We never develop great young goalies.

I`ll go again when my 3 year old son is older. Just to show him that even though you just signed a multimillion dollar contract you still have to keep on your fundmentals and listen to the coach. Nice that it`s free and everyone`s up close too. Lots of people there with little kids today. I never understand when people take kids under 3 like babies and stuff to the rink. Especially on a day like today when there are a lot of people and action and media scrums and stuff. Also a lot of older people there today too. My favorite were these two crazy old guys beside me and getting every name wrong. At one point one of them points at a guy and asked if a guy that looks nothing like Patrick Laforge was Laforge. The same guy also yelled at Krueger and Tambo to smile for a picture later. Fun stuff.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Oilrider

Quick break down:

Went to the camp, showed up a bit late.
Place was VERY busy. I went last year, but this was way busier.

Mostly paid attention to Yakupov, but also watched out for Fedun, Klefbom, and Hamilton.

They did some amusing drills to start with, gliding with each skate parellel but pointed in opposite directions. I think Yakupov fell on that one, and possibly the next one where they were all crouched down with one leg sticking out in front of the other. Yakupov seemed more interested in doing it the fasted, than doing it the best. A few of them were smiling and laughing at how ridiculous these drills were, and probably most of them had difficulty doing it, fell down, etc.

Did a number of drills. I got video and will have to upload it if there is interest here, I can let you know when I have it up. It is almost purely Yakupov.

I noticed that the coaches were trying to make it a little more difficult for Yakupov than the other players, getting in his way a little, or getting a stick on him sometimes. They obviously know he needs to be pushed to work at an even higher level than the other guys, and has the skills to do more.

His hands looked good, he likes to shoot, sometimes he looked like he wasn't giving it 100%, and other times he really flew and showed off his speed a little, and obviously put in more effort.

A player (forget who) gave a little kid a puck. That was nice of him.

Fedun and Klefbom both were pretty good. If they keep improving we have some good up and comers on D.

Oilrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Oilers4life1987

How did zharkov, laleggia, khraira and moroz do today

Oilers4life1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Philly85
Moody'

I was paying attention to Klefbom and Yakupov almost exclusively. They were both head and shoulders above the rest in terms of skill, skating and such. Technically gifted players who were clearly the most talented at their positions.

Otherwise I noticed Gernat, Hamilton, Pelss and Reider. Didn't notice any of the other, newer picks like Juhjar (sp?), Zharkov or Moroz.

Overall not much to note, other than Yakupov looks deadly, even just during drills. He brings a presence, a swagger on the ice, you notice him in everything he does. Scores on almost every breakaway, with every deke and every shot.

Klefbom also... I'd like to call him The Big Smooth. Has size, skill, such a fluid skater, can shoot the puck. Of course these were all just drills on day one of a development camp, but he was still noticeably better than his peers. Looks like a sure fire NHLer just by his overall skillet when you're putting him up with other NHL draft picks.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:48 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Good stuff. Everyone who is there keep feeding us with these little tidbits... they are interesting to read. Thanks

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:29 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Big thanks to all the contributors that were at the DC.

Apparently Yak does everything at high speed...must be a treat to watch.

Question on Kelfbom...I understand he has a very fluid skating stride but how is his speed for a big man?

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:30 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4life1987 View Post
How did zharkov, laleggia, khraira and moroz do today
Zharkov (wrist shot and skating) and Laleggia (skating) impressed me. Moroz wasn't very noticeable.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:32 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Big thanks to all the contributors that were at the DC.

Apparently Yak does everything at high speed...must be a treat to watch.

Question on Kelfbom...I understand he has a very fluid skating stride but how is his speed for a big man?
His speed didn't look like anything to write home about but he appears to have tremendous balance for a big man and has a very smooth stride. In my opinion, the only d-man who moves as well as him on the current roster is Petry.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:53 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Yak sounds like Ovi of old, BEFORE they gave him the C

just passionate and loves the game

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Hopkins to Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I was paying attention to Klefbom and Yakupov almost exclusively. They were both head and shoulders above the rest in terms of skill, skating and such. Technically gifted players who were clearly the most talented at their positions.

Otherwise I noticed Gernat, Hamilton, Pelss and Reider. Didn't notice any of the other, newer picks like Juhjar (sp?), Zharkov or Moroz.

Overall not much to note, other than Yakupov looks deadly, even just during drills. He brings a presence, a swagger on the ice, you notice him in everything he does. Scores on almost every breakaway, with every deke and every shot.

Klefbom also... I'd like to call him The Big Smooth. Has size, skill, such a fluid skater, can shoot the puck. Of course these were all just drills on day one of a development camp, but he was still noticeably better than his peers. Looks like a sure fire NHLer just by his overall skillet when you're putting him up with other NHL draft picks.
This is pretty much exactly how I saw it as well for both players. It was hard to notice anyone else really. Abney did stand out only because he tripped over the red line and seemed to injure himself falling into the boards . Yakupov looked very restless in the drills that didn't require much movement. In the stationary passing drills they did he would do a spin move or continuously move his feet around because he just can't keep still. His release is also deadly. The puck just snaps into the goal.

Hopkins to Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopkins to Hall View Post
This is pretty much exactly how I saw it as well for both players. It was hard to notice anyone else really. Abney did stand out only because he tripped over the red line and seemed to injure himself falling into the boards . Yakupov looked very restless in the drills that didn't require much movement. In the stationary passing drills they did he would do a spin move or continuously move his feet around because he just can't keep still. His release is also deadly. The puck just snaps into the goal.
Seems like he's pretty hyperactive.

Maybe the trainers have to teach him about sugar consumption or something!

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:23 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Yakupov probably has ADHD by the looks of his personality and his twitter feed. That's a good thing... plenty of energy to let loose on the ice.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:33 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Seems like he's pretty hyperactive.

Maybe the trainers have to teach him about sugar consumption or something!
I found it amusing that during the power skating session he finished every drill by going top shelf on the empty net while everyone else skated back into line with their puck.

I love this kid's swagger.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:40 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Is there a chance Klefbom could make the roster? Thought he was a year away for sure, but...

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:53 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
His speed didn't look like anything to write home about but he appears to have tremendous balance for a big man and has a very smooth stride. In my opinion, the only d-man who moves as well as him on the current roster is Petry.
Thanks for that.
Klefbom is a very intriguing prospect...too bad he isn't playing in NA this coming season.
That would make it much easier to track his progress.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:54 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Is there a chance Klefbom could make the roster? Thought he was a year away for sure, but...
He's committed to the SEL for next year already.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:57 PM
pocketful
"We'll see"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I thought management and him agreed he would do another year in Sweden? That being said, it all depends on if he will be getting more ice time.

pocketful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Skm

Thought I'd post these photos here (courtesy Oilers' website):

1. Who is that beast of a guy behind Yakupov in the third pic?
2. Cool to see Yakupov use Warrior gear minus their ugly helmet. The CCM helmets look good; a lot better than Hall's spaceman Easton one.

Last edited by Skm: 06-28-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:08 PM
oilfaninvan

All the kids looked rusty, IMO. But Yakupov is entertaining and fast. His shot you can tell is just deadly.

oilfaninvan is offline   Reply With Quote