HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Jakub Kindl Expectations

Old
06-26-2012, 11:27 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Jakub Kindl Expectations

How did he play last year? What do you expect next year and going forward? Will he ever be a 30+ point guy?

I have the chance to acquire him in a keeper league for the 21st pick in our entry draft. I can't decide if it's worth the move, passing up guys like Hampus Lindholm, Derrick Pouliot or Oscar Dansk.

Help?

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:31 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
How did he play last year? What do you expect next year and going forward? Will he ever be a 30+ point guy?

I have the chance to acquire him in a keeper league for the 21st pick in our entry draft. I can't decide if it's worth the move, passing up guys like Hampus Lindholm, Derrick Pouliot or Oscar Dansk.

Help?

I like Kindl a lot still, but it looks like he has run out of time in Detroit. He still to me has that kind of upside at least for me, but at this point it seems unlikely that he is a safer bet than the guys you just named with the exception of goalies unless you really have nothing going forward there.

Although on the other hand he has actually made it to the NHL. 30 points in Detroit looks unlikely. Plus the whole fiasco with the czech team for the Worlds didn't help, was hoping for some more development time and more confidence.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:43 PM
ZetterBurger

vCash: 500
He has the skill and ability to be a good defenseman. It's all about confidence and the mental game. He will be the odd man out again this year. It might be best to trade him.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:49 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Thanks guys!

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:24 AM
Probert

Send a message via MSN to Probert
Watch him step up and have an amazing season.

Probert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:27 AM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probert View Post
Watch him step up and have an amazing season.
The majority of fans calling for him to be traded will look extremely stupid if he pans out and becomes and elite defenseman . Kind of like how Lidstrom was treated early on. Although the chances of that happening is like 0.00001%.

If he's got the mental strength and is set on proving people wrong, that's half the battle. He did improve in some aspects of his game, but he needs to be more consistent and just improve in general. Like most rookies. I hope he gets enough opportunities to do just that. Go on, boost that trade value Jakub, we need to make space for Weber next year

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:15 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
I think Kindl will be a decent d-man if given the chance. But he's not going to be given the chance here.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:51 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
I think Kindl will be a decent d-man if given the chance. But he's not going to be given the chance here.
I wouldn't be so sure, SoupNasty!

With Stuart and Lidstrom gone, there's tons of minutes to go around now. Almost 45 minutes, combined. And what are the odds everybody stays healthy? (I sure hope they do, though)

Point is, I think at some point this season you'll see Kindl get some games where he hits 20 minutes or more. And I think they really want to test him to see if he's a better fit than White. Everybody says Kindl is the odd man out, but I'm feeling White might be that guy. We'll see how White shapes up this season, I guess.

That said, trade him in a fantasy league. He's too far down the list on Detroit to keep right now.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:23 AM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

I think he'll be a good player once he gets the ice time and confidence. Give the kid time to mature and learn

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Flowah
#FireHolland

I thought he played absolutely fine during his games last year. Reminds me of how E was treated a couple years ago. We all ragged on him. But we gave him more responsibility, some time, he stepped up. Last pick in the draft, yo.

Kindl will be at worst, a good average d-man imo.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:08 AM
probertrules24
Down with the Bruins

I agree with most on kindl's outlook, problem is I don't believe he will reach it while with the Wings. I hope I'm wrong as I really like him and can still see him being a top 4 guy. Last year when he was given a shot I thought he played well. Sure he made his rookie mistakes but he skates well and can move the puck.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:19 AM
sully61
Unregistered User

If I were GM I'd trade him to give him a real opportunity to succeed. He's not going to pan out in Detroit and its not fair to him to hold him back.

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Harnessed in Slums

He's got one more year left on his contract and I suspect he'll be the #7 this year once again as he has a very reasonable cap hit. The fact he hasn't pushed his way into a top 6 spot by the age of 25 should be a concern. He'll turn 26 during next season. I don't see him hitting 30 points this season and I honestly have no idea what to expect from him beyond the 2012-13 season.

Just my opinion...

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:55 AM
FissionFire

Kindl will be traded soon in all likelihood. I don't expect him to blossom in Detroit. He'll need to move elsewhere to get his chance, much like Kyle Quincey.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:03 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Kindl will be traded soon in all likelihood. I don't expect him to blossom in Detroit. He'll need to move elsewhere to get his chance, much like Kyle Quincey.
Then when he's a middling #4-5 with inflated stats on a sub-par team Kenny will reacquire Jakub with two 1sts or something silly like that...

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:37 PM
joe89

Average is the right word for Kindl. He's just about average in everything he does.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

He's Quincey-mode at this point. I expect for him to be an NHL player, just not with Detroit. and I expect him, like Quincey, to completely suck if he comes back to Detroit.

but I could see him being a valuable guy for a bubble team or a younger team like NYI. Teams like that will make him excited and confident again.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:26 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Average is the right word for Kindl. He's just about average in everything he does.
His first pass, puck control, footwork and defensive stick are all above average to me. Also his ability to get the puck low and on net is very good. Kindl is a smart player and if he was given good minutes he would develop quickly and into a quality player. I think a team like Edmonton would be perfect for him.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:21 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

A poor man's Cam Barker.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:02 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
A poor man's Cam Barker.
lol maybe

Old
06-27-2012, 09:28 PM
SirloinUB

Kindl certainly has some upside. Like others pointed out, the question becomes; will that happen in detroit. I expect him to get a chance to get regular ice time for the first time in his career. I think he will emerge as a good option. He has good offensive instincts and plays a lot better in the O-zone than his 13 points would have you believe. Id look for him to get 20 points if he can see 15 mins a game. If your looking for 30 points, that will be a year or two away. Id say 35 is his ceiling.

Defensively he was decent against 3 and 4 lines. Most people dont realize how physical he is, his hits kinda fly under the radar. He has decent strength, and wont get caught out of the play to make the hits.

As i said 35 points and solid all-around play is probably your best case scenario with this kid. If that does happen, its at least 2-3 years away.

Oh you might remember this specific kindl play against landskog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSQlEaQP4_I

Last edited by SirloinUB: 06-27-2012 at 09:48 PM.
SirloinUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
His first pass, puck control, footwork and defensive stick are all above average to me. Also his ability to get the puck low and on net is very good. Kindl is a smart player and if he was given good minutes he would develop quickly and into a quality player. I think a team like Edmonton would be perfect for him.
This.

Especially his quick wrister from the point. Have always wanted to see him get more PP time. If he's traded, it better be for something worthwhile.

Vladdy84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

He's a good player who could develop more, if given the opportunity. He just hasn't been given a fair shake here in Detroit yet.

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:47 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Pretty strong "woe is Kindl" vibe here. But he hasn't really done anything to deserve a bigger chance. He was mediocre against bottom-of-the-barrel competition and, previous to that, did a lot to make people doubt him. Looks like he's still what people have said about him for years.... a guy with a lot of tools, but lacks the toolbox.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:34 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
I wouldn't be so sure, SoupNasty!

With Stuart and Lidstrom gone, there's tons of minutes to go around now. Almost 45 minutes, combined. And what are the odds everybody stays healthy? (I sure hope they do, though)
Smith is going to be leapfrogged ahead of Kindl because he's got a more potent offensive game right now, even though Kindl's game is more complete and generally safer.

Quote:
Point is, I think at some point this season you'll see Kindl get some games where he hits 20 minutes or more. And I think they really want to test him to see if he's a better fit than White. Everybody says Kindl is the odd man out, but I'm feeling White might be that guy. We'll see how White shapes up this season, I guess.
If you think White is going to be the #7 this year, you are seriously off. White is currently the team's #2. Quincey is better than him at exactly nothing, Ericsson is light years behind him offensively and there's not much difference defensively, and Smith plays a lot like a younger, less experienced White; although he has high potential he doesn't currently have White's defensive acumen or his offensive prowess. Kindl is at best average defensively and despite good size he's not particularly physical. He has a good collection of offensive tools but hasn't really managed to put them to use coherently at the NHL level. The Wings WILL be picking up a top-pairing defenseman, whether it be Suter, Carle, or someone else (perhaps via trade?) but that still doesn't bump White to #7. A sudden breakout from Smith or Kindl could surpass him. White is significantly better than Quincey or Ericsson, and they were all born within a 17-month span (Ericsson the oldest, Quincey the youngest) so those are unlikely leaps. And ALL four of those jumps would have to happen for White to drop to #7. White will stay ahead of Quincey at minimum, probably Kindl as well. Smith is the most likely to pass, with Ericsson possible due to the team's lack of defensive defensemen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Pretty strong "woe is Kindl" vibe here. But he hasn't really done anything to deserve a bigger chance. He was mediocre against bottom-of-the-barrel competition and, previous to that, did a lot to make people doubt him. Looks like he's still what people have said about him for years.... a guy with a lot of tools, but lacks the toolbox.
Kindl outplayed Ericsson when they were paired together early on last season when. Ericsson is currently slotted as the team's #3 defenseman. Don't sell the guy short; put him in the lineup and you might be surprised. I think Quincey might quickly become expendable given cap hit and skill set. If the Wings only sign one defenseman (Suter!!), look for Quincey vs. Kindl to quickly become a matchup of "who can play better defensively" to fill that hole in the lineup.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote