HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Garrison or Luongo

View Poll Results: You must pick one - sign Garrison or add Luongo.
Add Luongo 29 42.65%
Re-sign Garrison (5 years - $25 million) 39 57.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 08:40 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

vCash: 500
Garrison or Luongo

Would you rather have Garrison at $5M per year for 5 years or Luongo?

You must pick one (none of the above is not an option for the purposes of this poll).

Luongo's contract : salary / cap hit 2011-12 6,725,000 5,325,000
2012-13 6,725,000 5,325,000
2013-14 6,725,000 5,325,000
2014-15 6,725,000 5,325,000
2015-16 6,725,000 5,325,000
2016-17 6,725,000 5,325,000
2017-18 6,725,000 5,325,000
2018-19 3,375,000 5,325,000
2019-20 1,625,000 5,325,000
2020-21 1,000,000 5,325,000
2021-22 1,000,000 5,325,000

Looks like Luongo makes 6,725,000 for 6 years vs Garrison 5,000,000 for 5 years

Old
06-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

I'm actually gonna go with Luongo. He's a known quantity, plus if it's who gives us a better chance of making the playoffs this season, Luongo or Garrison, it's Luongo. I like Gary, but he's not worth that kind of money. He could have just had one big year and then slide back a bit. Signed for big money for that long, we could easily have the most overpaid blueline in the league soon. If Luongo was signed for 3 more years at 6.7M nobody would have a problem with it.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:51 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Garrison.

Last year he was half of the best shutdown tandem in the league.

This year he was one of the top goal scoring defensemen in the league.

We have solid present goaltending in Theodore. We have solid future goaltending in Markstrom. What we won't have, if Garrison is allowed to leave, is one of the best slapshots from the point and solid transitional defense in one 6'2" 220 pound package.

I really don't understand how this is even a question. Honestly I don't even understand how trading for Luongo is a question. I can't understand you people sometimes.

And I do like Luongo and would gladly take him back if not for that contract.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Garrison.

We have solid present goaltending in Theodore. We have solid future goaltending in Markstrom. What we won't have, if Garrison is allowed to leave, is one of the best slapshots from the point and solid transitional defense in one 6'2" 220 pound package.

I really don't understand how this is even a question. Honestly I don't even understand how trading for Luongo is a question. I can't understand you people sometimes.

And I do like Luongo and would gladly take him back if not for that contract.
You don't understand Tallon?

Old
06-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
You don't understand Tallon?
First, we don't know how hard Tallon's pursuing Luongo. Second, we don't know the specifics of the Garrison offer. All we've heard are rumors.

Third, is it a crime to disagree with the GM, even if it is Tallon? Has "In Tallon We Trust" become some sort of cultish creed around here that when questioned damages my credibility? Because I remember when it was "In Martin We Trust" and "In Keenan We Trust" and "In Dudley We Trust." Give me a break.

If he trades for Luongo while forsaking the opportunity to re-sign Garrison then no, I don't understand Tallon.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:05 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Garrison.

I'm not pretending to know the right answer, but I think you are over-valuing Garrison & under-valuing Luongo. I don't think it is quite as clear cut as you do.

I certainly respect your opinion, and yes, time may show you to be correct. On the other hand, we have far more data points on Luongo than Garrison. You know what you get with Luongo. You are paying for potential with Garrison.

Last year, Garrison at $5 would have gotten you laughed at. This year, not so much. I'll grant you, he was certainly missed when he was out of the lineup in the postseason - maybe we win the series if he stays healthy. On the other hand, once teams figured him out early in the season, his scoring disappeared. I think last year will be his career high for goals.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:08 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
First, we don't know how hard Tallon's pursuing Luongo. Second, we don't know the specifics of the Garrison offer. All we've heard are rumors.

Third, is it a crime to disagree with the GM, even if it is Tallon? Has "In Tallon We Trust" become some sort of cultish creed around here that when questioned damages my credibility? Because I remember when it was "In Martin We Trust" and "In Keenan We Trust" and "In Dudley We Trust." Give me a break.

If he trades for Luongo while forsaking the opportunity to re-sign Garrison then no, I don't understand Tallon.
HFBoards Panthers forum = cult.

Why else do you think you are back here despite your best efforts to stay away?

Old
06-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

Even if it's mild interest, Tallon still has interest in Luongo. No one knows specifics, but Lindsay said that he's heard the Panthers are not interested in going more than 3-3.5M/ year for Gary, because they fear last season may have been a bit of a fluke. It would make some sense as to why a deal hasn't been reached yet. The rumor that he'd get 5yrs/25M in free agency is pretty realistic.

I never questioned your credibility, but you did say "I can't understand you people sometimes." I'm just saying it's not as far out there as you make it seem. Luongo is a known quantity, Garrison isn't.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
...I think you are over-valuing Garrison & under-valuing Luongo.
I'll give you that, but it's contextual. Keep their contract statuses in mind. Garrison's about to hit the open market, which inflates his value because we have to compensate for other teams' willingness to potentially overpay. His value is higher to us than is Luongo's simply because Theodore and Markstrom can replace Luongo's contributions, whereas we don't really have anyone who can replace Garrison's.

Quote:
You are paying for potential with Garrison.
You're not. There may be more data points with Luongo, sure, but Garrison's 27 now. He's slowly and steadily proven himself despite being a late-bloomer. If his game doesn't improve at all I'd still be happy wth 5 years, $25 million.

Quote:
I think last year will be his career high for goals.
Honestly, so do I. He's still be worth it, if for the ability to be a shutdown guy for 25 minutes a night.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Clint

Quote:
HFBoards Panthers forum = cult.

Why else do you think you are back here despite your best efforts to stay away?
Freakin' tell me about it.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I never questioned your credibility, but you did say "I can't understand you people sometimes." I'm just saying it's not as far out there as you make it seem. Luongo is a known quantity, Garrison isn't.
Would it have been better if I had instead said, "I can't understand the opinions of you people sometimes."

I didn't mean to make a personal swipe, and I know you're not questioning my credibility, but the Tallon comment just didn't sit with me well.

In any case, the way I see it is this: Losing Garrison harms our team more than taking on Luongo improves it. Both on the ice and with the salary cap. It's as simple as that.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:27 AM
RainingRats

I would rather have Semin at 6mill a year for 5 years than either of them.

Not fighting the question... I don't know. It's tough to stomach that much money being invested in the D-core. Kulikov is getting a raise so we'd probably have one of the most expensive d-cores in the league. I think with Luongo in net we would solidify that position for the next 4 years with a top 10 goalie. I just hate that contract so much and he'd become unmovable. Garrison's contract would run the prime of his career and I think he's the real deal. Unlike Luongo you might be able to move Garrison if he loses favor.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:28 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
In a matter of picking your poison with contracts, I'll take my chances with Luongo. If Garrison was asking for 5x2 then it would be fine, but five years; that's too much of a risk with Jovo and Campbell already on the books. Besides, we have many great young guys coming up and locking G52 long-term would only create a logjam on D.

Quote:
We have solid present goaltending in Theodore.
Theo is one of the hardest goalies to predict in the whole league. He has an on-year, which is usually followed by an off-year. I don't trust him one bit until I see him play next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Kulikov is getting a raise so we'd probably have one of the most expensive d-cores in the league.
People are expecting waaaaaay too much salary for Kuli around here. He's proven nothing yet and should be paid like one.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:35 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
In a matter of picking your poison with contracts, I'll take my chances with Luongo. If Garrison was asking for 5x2 then it would be fine, but five years; that's too much of a risk with Jovo and Campbell already on the books. Besides, we have many great young guys coming up and locking G52 long-term would only create a logjam on D.

Theo is one of the hardest goalies to predict in the whole league. He has an on-year, which is usually followed by an off-year. I don't trust him one bit until I see him play next year.

People are expecting waaaaaay too much salary for Kuli around here. He's proven nothing yet and should be paid like one.
Kulikov has proven a lot actually. You can see a stud d-man in the making. He came in playing big minutes as an 18/19 year old and has continued to improve. He is a second pairing d-man right now and without a doubt has top pairing potential. He's going to get 2.5-3.5 million a year, easy. It could be more if it's a long term contract.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:13 AM
wint

Garrison. But that has less to do with Garrison or Luongo and more to do with the relative values of #2/3 defensemen and goalies.

First, there's simple supply and demand. Teams need 4-8 good defensemen, and only 1-2 good goalies. And there's a large supply of quality goalies (that's why we didn't get any good offers for Vokoun when we tried to unload him at the deadline in the past—everyone already has their starter).

Second, there's a lot of uncertainty in goalie performance. Trying to predict next year's performance from this year's numbers is nearly impossible. Recent cup-winners Quick, Thomas, Niemi, Fleury and Osgood ranked from 16 to 24 in the league for SV% in the year before they won the cup.

You want a goalie good enough to get you into the playoffs, who has the potential to get hot at the right time. The Panthers had that this year with Theodore at $1.5 million and got just as far as Luongo at $6.7 million.

Going with the goalie just isn't a good investment when you're payroll is constrained like it is in Florida. I'll take Garrison.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Knightmare

I love Garry, but he's just not worth 5x5

Old
06-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Georgia Panther

Key difference in the contracts. Luongo 42 at the end of his, Garrison 32 at the end of his. Case closed.
Will Garrison, at 32 and at the end of his contract, still be capable at least physically of playing at a high level? Very likely. Will Luongo,who in 5 years will be 38 and still have 5 years to go on his including one at the age of 39 making $6,750,000 and all 5 remaining years a cap hit of $5,325,000, iffy.

Last edited by Georgia Panther: 06-27-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old
06-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
I'm not pretending to know the right answer, but I think you are over-valuing Garrison & under-valuing Luongo. I don't think it is quite as clear cut as you do.

I certainly respect your opinion, and yes, time may show you to be correct. On the other hand, we have far more data points on Luongo than Garrison. You know what you get with Luongo. You are paying for potential with Garrison.

Last year, Garrison at $5 would have gotten you laughed at. This year, not so much. I'll grant you, he was certainly missed when he was out of the lineup in the postseason - maybe we win the series if he stays healthy. On the other hand, once teams figured him out early in the season, his scoring disappeared. I think last year will be his career high for goals.
Another way of looking at it is Tallon is paying a 36, 37 and 38yo Jovo $4,150,000. Garrison would be getting $5,000,000 for years 27,28,29,30 and 31. Which would be the better contract? As I told George Richards and he agreed with me, a very poor case can be argued that Ed Jovonovski should be paid more by the Florida Panthers than Jason Garrison. I think $4.5mil will get it done especially if Vancouver can't trade Luongo, they can't afford both Luongo and Garrison, and we shouldn't help them out by taking Luongo's contract off their hands.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:17 AM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

I'd rather Dale Tallon get a D-Man through trade or FA, if Garrison really wants 5Mx5 then he can walk, I actually really like Garrison and I hope there would be someway he could play next year, but most likely we can find another guy to fit his spot.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:01 PM
p9ers

You guys should take a look at the Habs seasons, especially the one after they lose key power play player. With Streit, their power play finished first and they finished first in the Est. They then lost Streit, thought they could replace him, but they didn't. They finished 8 with a sub-par power play.

If our power play gets average, we'll have an hard time making the playoff. Garrison is more important imo.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Erick

Garrison.

And since we'd be paying too much for the D core, trade Kulikov to Edmonton for one of their offensive studs.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:37 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I don't like either option. Just from having one great season, I don't Garrison deserves that kind of money. I've already said why I don't want Luongo here with that ridiculous contract. I'd rather explore other options or hopefully Garrison can sign for a bit cheaper.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:38 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Garrison.

And since we'd be paying too much for the D core, trade Kulikov to Edmonton for one of their offensive studs.
who did you have in mind?

Old
06-27-2012, 12:40 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
I don't like either option. Just from having one great season, I don't Garrison deserves that kind of money. I've already said why I don't want Luongo here with that ridiculous contract. I'd rather explore other options or hopefully Garrison can sign for a bit cheaper.
Yellow flag.

From original post-

"You must pick one (none of the above is not an option for the purposes of this poll)."

Old
06-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Garrison.

This.

It's up to Garrison and his agent, though. And I'm not sure why we can't have both if we move the salary, just depends on how much he wants. However, Steeg and the others' deals play in as well.

And no, you can't disagree with Tallon, unless you're fine with being sacrificed to the hockey gods. (and I won't miss ya! Haha)