HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

''Habs are clear cut winners'' (bragging rights?!!)

Old
06-26-2012, 04:45 PM
JuJu Mobb

vCash: 500
Proof that Timmins was never the problem. Dude's a gem.

JuJu Mobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Remedy

It was a hell of a draft...

Who needs Christmas when we have drafts like that...

I actually havn't been so impressed with a draft in ages.

Remedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:17 PM
charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu Mobb View Post

And he just might get better (if at all possible) since he is head of pro scouting and that is all he has to do. Nothing gets by Trevor without input from him.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Schwang

Funny how no one on this board is complaining that we drafted 3rd now. Go back to February and there were so many posters giving crap to the "pro-tankers", saying we weren't true fans, and how it would be better to fight for a playoff spot. The team, of course, did not intentionally tank, however, it didn't keep me from hoping for a great draft position after realizing there was no way in hell they would make the playoffs.

so, on that note, I have just 2 more points:

1) Guess what, we wouldn't have got the players we did and "won the draft" if we had finished 14th or better.

2) It was painfully apparent that a re-build was needed, from the top down. I have WAAAY more confidence in this team now then I did back at the mid-season point last year. And they haven't even filled in their holes yet. But I have confidence in new management that they will.

Schwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwang View Post
Funny how no one on this board is complaining that we drafted 3rd now. Go back to February and there were so many posters giving crap to the "pro-tankers", saying we weren't true fans, and how it would be better to fight for a playoff spot. The team, of course, did not intentionally tank, however, it didn't keep me from hoping for a great draft position after realizing there was no way in hell they would make the playoffs.

1) Guess what, we wouldn't have got the players we did and "won the draft" if we had finished 14th or better.

2) It was painfully apparent that a re-build was needed, from the top down. I have WAAAY more confidence in this team now then I did back at the mid-season point last year. And they haven't even filled in their holes yet. But I have confidence in new management that they will.
There is a HUGE difference between having a crappy year and drafting early versus running your team into the ground to try and get a high pick.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:33 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Day 2: In a nutshell, I thought by the end of the draft the Habs had obtained several good prospects outside of Galchenyuk. Collberg looked great in the summer, bland in November, good at the World Juniors, great in February, and I though great in April although not every scout agrees. He's a very skilled player despite zero points in the SEL this year; when playing internationally, he really stood out with his speed, skill, and shot. Thrower is a very competitive, physical defenseman who's a little small and who won't wow you with any particular skill, but his skills are solid across the board. Bozon is a skilled all-around player who is creative, fast, gritty, and can finish. Vail is a high-end intangibles player with solid offensive touch; he's a smart player, but could use some work on his skating, and doesn't really have top-six tools. Hudon is a fun player to watch with legit high-end puck possession skills but he's a little slow and very small; he has produced and stood out in my opinion the last two years and I love taking talent like that where the Habs chose him.
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1341

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:02 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
just a few years ago the habs had a HUGE hole in dmen prospects.
In 2007 Timmins picked Macdo and Subban but his pick got traded against his judgement for Gomez. Today we all know just how bad this turned out for the Habs not only is Gomez a bust and Macdo is a star Markov got hurt again WOW just WOW. Last year while all the other teams were picking up good forwards at the draft Timmins was forced to fix the damage from the NHL's worst trade ever. He picked Tinordi and Beaulieu both are doing fine and projected to be 1 line dman and 2nd line dman. Now With PG GONE, This now left Timmins a free hand this year to pull off a real magic trick to fix the top six forward prospects.
Overall, Just think a bit. Habs will have Price, Subban, Beaulieu Tinordi, Ellis, Thrower, Gorges, Emelin... and the best of the rest a defence. Then look at the forwards, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Collberg, Eller, Cole, Gallagher, Kristo, Bozon, Vail, Pleks, Leblanc, White, Bournival...

Then you must make some trades with the players Habs will offer up:
Bourque, Gomez, Gionta, Desharnais, Palushaj, Markov Kaberle, Weber, Diaz. For sure some of these players will bring something back.

then Timmins gets to pick NEW prospects in a good year next June again.
Totally agree with you, but with Gionta...it will depend if we're in playoffs or not, imo (and I'm sure, like you think, he has a lot of value for trade deadline since he's got heart/leadership...great for playoffs). Markov has a no trade clause, no?, and Kaberle has a ''no-many-teams-him'' clause! (except maybe his last year of contract for the PP...?).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 06-27-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:02 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednik View Post
I'm happy, but a part of me says: "man, 20 scouts spend one year watching hockey all around the world, and all they do is selecting players in the same order as Bob Mckenzie!"

Very happy with Gally's pick though.
I think Mackenzie comes up with the 60 best list by speaking with 10 scouts and finding out their most popular player at each spot. Like your post though, LOL.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

No, we're clear cut losers and bombed this draft. Doing so horribly in the regular season makes it necessarily so. The grade can only be an F.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Now it's time to see if the Habs can develop these kids unlike the past years. With this management in place I have hope

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:31 PM
niftymove

Hopefully, those development coaches will be there this week in development camp II!

if none of them show up ?????

niftymove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Bieber fever

nothing is more funny than people who try to find out the winner of the draft the day after the draft

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:48 PM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
nothing is more funny than people who try to find out the winner of the draft the day after the draft
I find it even funnier people not realizing that people are saying they are winner at this point in time. Everyone had a personal ranking of the prospects, if the Habs picked players that were ranked higher on their list than where the Habs picked them, then the Habs are winners. Is that too hard to understand?

Now the draft rating will have to be re-evaluated every year, next year the Habs could be draft losers if Galchenyuk and Collberg don't develop as expected.

dcal64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
I absolutely love our picks, but I'm actually a bit worried, since that's pretty much the exact same picks I would have made if they asked me out of nowhere to make the selections... Which might not be a good thing .

We made the sexy picks, but don't forget other GMs were aware X and Y players were available at Z spot. If they passed up on them, it's because they saw something bigger/better in other players...

For now, I'm more than happy with our draft, but let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.
You mean like when Montreal saw something bigger in Andrei Kostitsyn instead of going sexy with Parise, Getzlaf, Carter or Richards?

The sexy pick is more often then not the right choice when selecting a high as Montreal is picking this year.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:57 PM
EXPOS123

Guys, i hate to be the party pooper, but creaming in our pants because we had the best draft in the worst draft year since 1999 (according to many scouts) is akin to going crazy and telling eveyone you won a contest when the prizes consisted of cleaning products and shoe shining kits. Yes, Galenyuk was considered a great talent and might become a very good player for us, but let's hold off proclaiming the rest of our picks future stars. Outside of the top three overall picks, every team can make the case that they had the best picks of the draft simply because the dropoff in talent was so steep that there was not much separating the rest of the players.

EXPOS123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:33 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
"Sexy" picks don't always end up being the best ones. I can remember past years salivating over a couple teams' performances (Colorado and Chicago come to mind, can't remember why), but there are always pre-draft favourites amongst draft watchers, and sometimes they gravitate onto a given team's draft list. It still doesn't always pan out. But for sure, I'll take being the team getting those accolades as opposed to not being that team.
I've always wondered; how blind are you and what exactly do you guard? Are you legally blind?

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:58 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPOS123 View Post
Guys, i hate to be the party pooper, but creaming in our pants because we had the best draft in the worst draft year since 1999 (according to many scouts) is akin to going crazy and telling eveyone you won a contest when the prizes consisted of cleaning products and shoe shining kits. Yes, Galenyuk was considered a great talent and might become a very good player for us, but let's hold off proclaiming the rest of our picks future stars. Outside of the top three overall picks, every team can make the case that they had the best picks of the draft simply because the dropoff in talent was so steep that there was not much separating the rest of the players.
Agreed. Good draft, but need a bit of a "chill out approach". Better to lower expectations and see how these guys develop.mexcept Glachenyuk who should be a good player, nothing is guaranteed

Jerk Store is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:06 AM
Mr. Hab

I don't think a Hab lover wrote this article below (for all the bitter haters, kiilljoys and Hab haters out there):

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/06/...rs-and-losers/

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:09 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwang View Post

I still would never tank. Tanking is a joke. I think it's stupid to cheer for the team you love to lose. Always will.

I'm still not happy we finished last in the EC and third last in the NHL this year. That's pathetic.

I love our new prospects, but I would much rather have watched the team hold the Stanley Cup than have drafted Galchenyuk or Collberg (despite how much I'm going to love both of them).

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:15 AM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
I don't think a Hab lover wrote this article below (for all the bitter haters, kiilljoys and Hab haters out there):

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/06/...rs-and-losers/
In fact, he is a Habs fan. He's a poster on Habs Inside/Out

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:05 AM
Rozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
In fact, he is a Habs fan. He's a poster on Habs Inside/Out
that's a lie! ... he post's at Hockey Inside/Out

Rozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu Mobb View Post

Anyone who thought that Timmins was a problem would qualify as a certified idiot. His track record is incredible.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:25 AM
PricePkPatch

Okay people. We didn't "win" the draft.

But if this was a race, we have a headstart.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Quagmier

While I agree with everyone who is saying you can't proclaim winners and losers of a draft days after it happened, I have some pretty high hopes for this draft class, and I base that optimism on a specific precedent: The Colorado Avalanche's draft of 2009

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00005307.html

It just seems like the stars aligned for them in '09 and my hope is that the players we drafted this year have that "franchise altering" impact on the Habs in a few years. With their first 4 picks, the avalanche got a potential franchise forward, a fantastic complimentary offensive player (some might argue Reilly's ceiling is higher than that) and two players who look like they will pan out as NHL regulars at worst, and impact players if things go well for them.

That, to me, is how i see Galchenyuk, Collberg, Thrower and Bozon progressing. Granted absolutely nothing is set in stone, but a guy can hope.

Quagmier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPOS123 View Post
The whole "worst draft" thing is overblown. Most scouts I spoke to said that this is an average draft, add a Crosby or Malkin at #1 and it's a great draft. The fact that Yakupov is no Crosby has no impact on us getting a potential 80 point center. The fact that Forsberg fell so much tells me the draft was pretty deep, the kid is gonna be a good hockey player.

Bozon was a PPGM player in the WHL in his rookie year at 17 and has good size and speed, getting him 3rd round, the draft can't be very weak.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote