HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Zach Parise - pending UFA Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

vCash: 500
Lotta Minny fans hoping ZP want's a huge payday cause that's the only way they have a shot at him.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:58 AM
MNState0fHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
Lotta Minny fans hoping ZP want's a huge payday cause that's the only way they have a shot at him.
You mean there are a lot of Minny fans hoping he doesn't sign here for an outrageous amount of money that won't allow us to resign all of our promising young guys when it comes time to resign them.

I don't think he will sign in Minny. I think he'll sign elsewhere, but with a much larger cap hit than I see some people tossing around.

If the Wild over pay a player, it should be Suter. But they won't. He won't have the marketing impact signing Parise would.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:22 PM
SphinX
YouWantSome?

Its all up to "Zach-attack" ... Does he want to be that homestate legend..? He probably wont get any cups the first 4-5 years(at least).. But he will get a juciy payroll...

So the question is...

WWPD?

Old
06-27-2012, 12:39 PM
FlashyG

The Wings are hoping to appeal to his sense of humor.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:46 PM
MNState0fHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post

The Wings are hoping to appeal to his sense of humor.
This was HILARIOUS !!!

Old
06-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Mowerman

I think we all know where Parise si going to go...

Florida. He loves cats who play hockey. Panthers baby!!!!!

Old
06-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
when oates tells him he can be centered by backstrom or go back to jersey to be centered by travis f'in zajac in a half-full building?
Strange, I've never seen him complain about playing with Zajac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
You have to at make it at least look like the player would be playing at the end of the contract or that he will be losing money. The days of numerous tiny amounts like that tacked-on to the back-end of a contract are over.
Maybe in the new CBA, but not yet. The Richards and Ehrhoff deals got passed last summer with absolutely no problems. Because of terms of the CBA amendment that came out of the Kovalchuk decision, the NHL cannot reject any more of these contracts unless they break the rather lax rules that were set by the amendment.

The contract you quoted was perfectly legal according to the rules.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:09 PM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
Supposedly, he wants to be "the guy" wherever he signs. Honestly though I would say the Wild would be pretty attractive with all of the prospects they've compiled. Not to mention they have some pretty good NHLers already here; play in the best building in the Western Conference and have a pretty rabid fanbase.

With parity in the league and the fact the Wild when healthy were top of the league in December seems like there is some potential there. Seems to me like Parise or Suter could make a huge difference with the Wild.

I'm not quite sure what about that makes the Wild unattractive?

Old
06-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNState0fHockey View Post
You mean there are a lot of Minny fans hoping he doesn't sign here for an outrageous amount of money that won't allow us to resign all of our promising young guys when it comes time to resign them.

I don't think he will sign in Minny. I think he'll sign elsewhere, but with a much larger cap hit than I see some people tossing around.

If the Wild over pay a player, it should be Suter. But they won't. He won't have the marketing impact signing Parise would.
See, this is the kind of hand-wringing that NHL teams just don't engage in. They are in the business of winning now-not worrying about might happen with Charlie Coyle or Jason Zucker five years from now.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:23 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
year 11 would have to be $2M but that doesn't alter anything very much. How old would Zach be at the end of that contract? Do you thiknk NJ wants to play with that kind of fire again with the league?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
0% chance this would get passed. You would need to add some money to years 12 & 13, something like this:

Year 1: $6M
Year 2: $8M
Year 3: $11.5M
Year 4: $11.5M
Year 5: $11.5M
Year 6: $9M
Year 7: $9M
Year 8: $9M
Year 9: $6.5M
Year 10: $4M
Year 11: $1M
Year 12: $3M
Year 13: $4M

You have to at make it at least look like the player would be playing at the end of the contract or that he will be losing money. The days of numerous tiny amounts like that tacked-on to the back-end of a contract are over.
When the Kovalchuk contract got rejected, the NHL and NHLPA came together to add a clause to the current CBA that allowed the NHL to punish the Devils for cap circumvention. The NHLPA agreed to that amendment on the condition that the league doesn't challenge anymore contracts for cap circumvention until the current CBA expires. Except in certain situations.

That agreement was made to avoid the slippery slop that would come from investigations into the Luongo, Zetterberg, etc. contracts but it's a loophole that allows any team to heavily front load contracts and add throw-away years until September 15th, 2012. As long as the year-to-year salary doesn't change by more than half of [whatever the lesser of the first two years of the deal] is (the Max Talbot rule), AND the cheapest years of the contract are above league minimum, AND the contract ends at an age when there's a reasonable chance that the player is still playing then the league has no authority to reject the contract based on cap circumvention.

In the example I gave, it would take Parise until he's 40 years old. The league has already set precedent that 40 is a reasonable age for a long term contract to end when they accepted the second Kovalchuk deal that takes him to age 42.

The NHL accepted a long term contract for Brad Richards that took him to age 40, in which he makes $57M over the first 6 years and in the last three years he only makes a salary of $1M per. If they didn't reject that, then they wouldn't reject the contract I proposed.

Last edited by AfroThunder396: 06-27-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old
06-27-2012, 01:46 PM
MNState0fHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
See, this is the kind of hand-wringing that NHL teams just don't engage in. They are in the business of winning now-not worrying about might happen with Charlie Coyle or Jason Zucker five years from now.
Says who? You?

The only advantage a team like Pittsburgh has over Minnesota in getting Parise is the prospect of winning now. That is it. But that advantage is not large enough for him to turn down $30 million. Not when the prospects of winning soon with a team that will give him that much money exists. And that prospect of winning (with the Wild) is much better/sooner than you are willing to give credit. Not when the league is expected to ask the players to take another cut this fall. Not when this is likely his one chance at a big pay day.

Now, do I want to see the Wild handcuff themselves in the future to get Parise? Absolutely not. But I also realize it's about more than just winning games with the Wild.

Like I said before, I don't see Parise signing in Minnesota, only because I think another team will pay him more than they are comfortable with to get him.

You're entitled to your opinion, I just don't agree.

Last edited by MNState0fHockey: 06-27-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old
06-27-2012, 02:02 PM
MNState0fHockey

And if any GM can figure out a way to get Zach to leave $30+ million on the table and sign for less than a $8 million cap hit, they should be extended with a big raise. I will tip my cap to them.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:27 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
Quote:
And if any GM can figure out a way to get Zach to leave $30+ million on the table and sign for less than a $8 million cap hit, they should be extended with a big raise. I will tip my cap to them.
When you start dealing with huge money like this, 30 million isn't as big of a deal as you make it seem. And respectable offer is going to START with at least $50M depending on the term, and if it's a retirement contract it's likely going to be in the +$70M range. And most are probably going to have signing bonuses, NMC's, the whole package. When you have $70M in the bank, an extra $30M is chump change and hardly a deal breaker.

And anyone giving Zach a deal with an $8M cap hit is making a colossal mistake. Or just really bad at their job.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:30 PM
MNState0fHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
When you start dealing with huge money like this, 30 million isn't as big of a deal as you make it seem.
I strongly disagree. $30 million is a lot of money.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:38 PM
INGLEWOOD JACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Maybe in the new CBA, but not yet. The Richards and Ehrhoff deals got passed last summer with absolutely no problems. Because of terms of the CBA amendment that came out of the Kovalchuk decision, the NHL cannot reject any more of these contracts unless they break the rather lax rules that were set by the amendment.

The contract you quoted was perfectly legal according to the rules.
I wonder if the big UFA's (Parise and Suter) will want to sign BEFORE of AFTER the new CBA is agreed too.

I would think before, as these monster retirment contracts may be a thing of the past because of the first Kovy contract. Guaranteed, long term money may not be so easy to get after the new CBA is signed.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Says who? You?

The only advantage a team like Pittsburgh has over Minnesota in getting Parise is the prospect of winning now. That is it. But that advantage is not large enough for him to turn down $30 million. Not when the prospects of winning soon with a team that will give him that much money exists. And that prospect of winning (with the Wild) is much better/sooner than you are willing to give credit. Not when the league is expected to ask the players to take another cut this fall. Not when this is likely his one chance at a big pay day.

Now, do I want to see the Wild handcuff themselves in the future to get Parise? Absolutely not. But I also realize it's about more than just winning games with the Wild.

Like I said before, I don't see Parise signing in Minnesota, only because I think another team will pay him more than they are comfortable with to get him.

I'm gonna say that there is a little more than just 1 advantage.

How about playing for the coach that was a runaway winner as the coach players would most want to play for according to the NHLPA survey.

How about playing with the best center in the game....I'm sure the his stats will improve from such a pairing. If you need some sort of comparison, just look at James Neal this year with Malkin.

Those are just a couple off the top of my head.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by INGLEWOOD JACK View Post
I wonder if the big UFA's (Parise and Suter) will want to sign BEFORE of AFTER the new CBA is agreed too.

I would think before, as these monster retirment contracts may be a thing of the past because of the first Kovy contract. Guaranteed, long term money may not be so easy to get after the new CBA is signed.
Definitely before. The new CBA might not be out until late in the summer, and the cap circumvention contracts almost certainly will be gone. They'll get their payday now.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
When you start dealing with huge money like this, 30 million isn't as big of a deal as you make it seem. And respectable offer is going to START with at least $50M depending on the term, and if it's a retirement contract it's likely going to be in the +$70M range. And most are probably going to have signing bonuses, NMC's, the whole package. When you have $70M in the bank, an extra $30M is chump change and hardly a deal breaker.

And anyone giving Zach a deal with an $8M cap hit is making a colossal mistake. Or just really bad at their job.
Yeah...I tried to show him how the extra 1-2 mil per season isn't that significant to someone already making 7 about 3-4 pages ago...He just didn't get it.

The difference between 7 and 8 mil is a 14% increase.....Basically that's the same as taking a salary of 50K to 57K...nice, but hardly life changing!

Old
06-27-2012, 02:45 PM
superhenderson13

Quote:
Says who? You?

the bolded part is funny. the ONLY advantage that Minnesota has is being able to pay him more money than anyone because they dont have the talent that PIT and DET do. Sure playing in his home state would be great but why would a guy give up the chance to win for 4-5 years when he could take a shorter deal and play in PIT, DET, or stay in NJ, win a cup or two, and then go back home...

PIT and DET offer him so much more than any other team....

im not bashing minnesota. minn is a great hockey state. i wish high school hockey was as big here in pittsburgh as it is there. but parise doesnt seem like the type that goes for the money. wouldnt be surprised to see him play in MIN one day.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
I strongly disagree. $30 million is a lot of money.
It's a lot of money to YOU. It's a fun week's vacation to someone like Mark Cuban. Parise would fall in between. It would be nice, but isn't going to change his lifestyle or financial well being in any way!

Old
06-27-2012, 02:58 PM
MNState0fHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
I'm gonna say that there is a little more than just 1 advantage.

How about playing for the coach that was a runaway winner as the coach players would most want to play for according to the NHLPA survey.

How about playing with the best center in the game....I'm sure the his stats will improve from such a pairing. If you need some sort of comparison, just look at James Neal this year with Malkin.

Those are just a couple off the top of my head.
I think both of those fall into the category of prospect of winning now.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:59 PM
MNState0fHockey

Quote:
Yeah...I tried to show him how the extra 1-2 mil per season isn't that significant to someone already making 7 about 3-4 pages ago...He just didn't get it.

The difference between 7 and 8 mil is a 14% increase.....Basically that's the same as taking a salary of 50K to 57K...nice, but hardly life changing!
What's to get? $30 million is a lot of money. I like how you're so quick to decide what is and isn't a lot of money to most people.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:01 PM
MNState0fHockey

Quote:
It's a lot of money to YOU. It's a fun week's vacation to someone like Mark Cuban. Parise would fall in between. It would be nice, but isn't going to change his lifestyle or financial well being in any way!
To just me? Hahaha..... Hardly.

$30 million is a lot of money to virtually anyone.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:02 PM
MNState0fHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhenderson13 View Post
the bolded part is funny. the ONLY advantage that Minnesota has is being able to pay him more money than anyone because they dont have the talent that PIT and DET do. Sure playing in his home state would be great but why would a guy give up the chance to win for 4-5 years when he could take a shorter deal and play in PIT, DET, or stay in NJ, win a cup or two, and then go back home...

PIT and DET offer him so much more than any other team....

im not bashing minnesota. minn is a great hockey state. i wish high school hockey was as big here in pittsburgh as it is there. but parise doesnt seem like the type that goes for the money. wouldnt be surprised to see him play in MIN one day.
Being close to family? Just saying, if Pittsburgh wasn't an immediate Cup contender, Minnesota would be a more favorable location in his case IMO.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Noreaster96

Quote:
joe schmoe-----------------Parise--------------------------------------------------------Cuban

In terms of net worth... and each "-" is quite a big jump.... Cuban is a multi-billionaire... not saying that 30 million to Parise would be THAT much of a big deal, but its still significant, even to someone like him

Closed Thread