Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dallas Stars 2012 Draft Scouting Reports

Old
06-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

vCash: 500
There's a good chance that Radek Faksa could end up in the same situation as Mark Scheifele last season in Winnipeg. Scheifele played 7 games (scoring 1 goal) for the Jets before being sent back to the Barrie Colts. He also ended up playing in the WJC.

I'm fairly certain Faksa will be back in Kitchener next year and will most likely participate in the WJC. Playing in the World Juniors seems to be a requirement for GMJN's top prospects.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:29 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
I definitely think he should be back in Kitchener next year. Work on faceoffs and improving offensive output against younger players. I won't be surprised if he starts opening day 13-14 in Dallas.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:06 PM
SuperUnknown

Some info on Devin Shore and Brendan Troock:

Devin Shore is a really smart and skilled player. He's patient with the puck, protects it well and will go to the front of the net. He's got a scorer's touch but can also pass the puck. While is skating is okay, he could improve it which would help his game. He needs to improve drastically in his own zone but he's coachable.

Brendan Troock needs to catch up with other prospects because he's missed quite a bit of hockey development time. He wasn't supposed to be able to play hockey after his neck injury but he persevered and got his career back on track. He is a good forechecker with a strong work ethic. He uses his size well. His skating is excellent for a guy his size. While he doesn't have a lot of offensive creativity, he still spots open teammates for a pass or uses a decent shot to score. He does have offensive upside but in the worst case he can probably develop into a big 3rd liner that can chip in 30-40 points yearly.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:10 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Mark posted Les Jackson and Kari Takko's opinions on the 2nd day draft picks on his Facebook.

I've update every player with their opinion.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:58 AM
BigG44

Plymouth Whalers (OHL) just drafted Dallas 2nd round pick Ludvig Bystrom 21st overall in the CHL import draft. That seems pretty high. I would have just assumed he wasn't coming over, but you'd think a team picking that high would use on a guy they felt they had a chance of getting.

Quote:
Chris Peters ‏@chrismpeters

Plymouth selected Dallas second-rounder Ludvig Bystrom in the CHL Import Draft. Not sure if he'll come over, but if he does, huge get.
Quote:
Ross MacLean ‏@rossmaclean

Plymouth goes to Sweden and grabs Ludvig Bystrom, a very good two-way defender with strong puck instincts. He was a 2nd round pick to DAL
Quote:
HockeyProspect.com ‏@HockeyProspect

21 Plymouth Ludvig Bystrom Right Defence Ornskoldsvik, Swe 6.00.75 169 Modo 1994-07-20
Based on Les Jackson's initial quote post-draft it would seem their plans were for him to stay in Sweden.

Quote:
“There’s a lot of value there and he’s in a good position in Sweden. He’s going to get good development and he’s going to get good coaching.”
Bystrom already said he'd take whatever path the Stars wanted him to go so this at least opens up the possibility of him coming to the OHL. From what I remember, Plymouth is a pretty well respected organization (not Kitchener or London level), but they might like the idea of him playing big minutes in Plymouth vs. fighting for limited ice time in Sweden.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:06 AM
BigG44

Plymouth had a very successful year last year finishing 2nd in the West and 2nd overall in the OHL. They lost in 7 games to the Kitchener Rangers (Radek Faksa) in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

They don't seem to be losing a ton of players next year so they could be very good again.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I'd rather have him the OHL in that situation by a long shot.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Dallasman

OHL playing minutes and getting better rather than being a 6th dman in Sweden for next season. The more he plays the better.

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Primetimey

vCash: 83
I do believe I remember him saying he would be willing to play wherever Dallas wanted to him to play. So I guess they will come to a conclusion together.

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Jere26

I rather see the European players to stay in Europe. It's true, playing minutes should be of highest importance, but I don't know, I believe coaching staff in Swedish Pro League is more professional than in Juniors over there & speaking about the whole competition aspect... I bet Bystrom will see more ice-time next season in Sweden.

Jere26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:00 AM
BigG44

I actually love following the Europeans in the Finnish and Swedish leagues so I'd have no issue with Bystrom staying over there.

That said, I think you're probably way off on coaching. I'd say CHL coaching is significantly closer to NHL style coaching than the Euro leagues. That's not an accusation that one is better than the other. IMO, it's a legitimate observation that NHL and CHL coaches are very similar in style and philosophy. I don't think it's a coincidence that many NHL coaches have backgrounds in the CHL.

I don't think quality of coaching has any impact honestly on the CHL vs. Sweden discussion. They're both good options.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Jere26

After thinking about it again...Yeah, you're probably right, seeing how White Board Willy is entering a similar path and teams hiring people with that background.

There has always been a lot of discussion about the relevance of being in a pro-league in Europe compared to a junior league in NA. People, myself included, at least in recent years, maybe have (or still) overvalued the fact of being successful in a pro-league is a much greater influencing factor than being successful 'only' in juniors. With factors I'm referring to level of competition, ice-time, games per season, different ice-measurements, learning 'NA-style' of game, being away from home etc.

In the end it's really only a question about what the player/Dallas wants. Our recent Swedes did pretty well going the Europe route, so I don't see much that makes you reverse that route.

Jere26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:08 PM
BigG44

I think that's actually a great point. Nearly all of Dallas' Swedes and Finns (oh yeah and one Dane) spent their 18-20 year old seasons in Sweden/Finland.

That's obviously something the team is very comfortable with, and Bystrom going to the OHL would be out of the norm.

Just wondering ... and you might not know this because he's a Swede ... Why did Landeskog go the CHL route? He's one of the higher profile Swedes I can think of who made that jump. A better question I guess would be why did Olli Maatta come to the OHL?

Old
06-27-2012, 01:34 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Bystrom I think would be better served staying in Sweden. He already has more SEL experience than any of Larsen/Nemeth/Klingberg had at the time of their drafting. Getting playing time shouldn't be too difficult for him. Also you probably want to let him fill out a bit before introducing him full bore to the NA game.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:48 PM
BigG44

Plymouth seems pretty confident they'll convince Bystrom to come to town.

There's no mention in the article of "will he come."

Quote:
The Whalers drafted Ludvig Bystrom of Ornskoldsvik, Sweden, with the 21st overall pick and Simon Karlsson with the 90th overall pick.

The Dallas Stars drafted Bystrom (6-1, 169) in the second round of the NHL Entry Draft on Saturday. Bystrom played last season for Modo.

Bystrom scored seven goals and 22 assists for 29 points in 34 games with 101 penalty minutes for Modo’s Junior-20 team, according to www.eliteprospects.com.

“We’re going to have a good team and I wanted an older defenseman,” Whalers coach/general manager Mike Vellucci said of drafting Bystrom.

Vellucci said Bystrom is friends with Whalers forward Rickard Rackell, another Swedish import who is expected to be back for his third season with the Whalers in 2012-2013.

Vellucci said Rackell told him Bystrom was “a good kid, good power-play guy, a smooth skater.”

Old
06-28-2012, 12:13 AM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

If Bystrom was going to get 10+ minutes a night with Modo then he should stay, no question. If he's only going to get 5-9 and yo-yo back and forth between Modo and the J-20 league then coming over to play with Plymouth is probably a better option. Besides he'll for sure get PP and maybe even PK time in Plymouth. Is he going to get that over vets for Modo?

The WHL is arguably the best junior league in the world. Getting to play a schedule that most resembles the AHL and NHL as far as games played, travel is a good thing to experience. The coaching staff is more than decent and because it's a junior league it's just as much about developing the player as it is winning.

Each player is different and not everyone can or should make the transition. The fact that he's got a friend on the team already should make that easier. I'll probably be pretty happy either way but there's something to be said for coming over and playing in one of the best development leagues in the world.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:12 AM
glovesave_35
Name

^^ Isn't Plymouth OHL?

Old
06-28-2012, 05:32 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
^^ Isn't Plymouth OHL?
Yep.

I guess it's similar to RNH getting "drafted" by a KHL team....he doesn't have to report there.

06-28-2012, 09:20 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

Bystrom was drafted by the KHL, too.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Crap. I was thinking Plymouth was out west but the other arguable best junior league is the OHL so the same things apply.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:25 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

OHL has been superior to the WHL for a few seasons now IMO.

Also Neal played in Plymouth so you have no excuse.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Bystrom wants out of Modo?

A swedish poster passed on this link about Bystrom's desire to leave the big club because he doesn't think he'll get enough play time. He has one year remaining on his contract and MODO doesn't seem inclined to release him so we'll see but maybe Plymouth will buy him out. If he's not happy leaving is the best thing. Will be very curious to follow this all summer to see what happens.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:13 PM
glovesave_35
Name

I don't think there's any question he gets more playing time in the CHL. I'm all for it. Let him play as an undersized type of player in NA against junior players and gain the necessary strength here. I don't have a problem either way but to me the CHL seems the better of the two routes.

Last edited by glovesave_35: 06-28-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old
06-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Does he have a good chance at emerging as a leader in the OHL?

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:36 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Does he have a good chance at emerging as a leader in the OHL?
It took Maatta until the playoffs to get comfortable and start dominating.

Bystrom will have the benefit of being a year older should he make the jump.