HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Board 2012 Prospect Rankings #4

View Poll Results: Who is #4
Tim Bozon 0 0%
Mac Bennett 0 0%
Darren Dietz 0 0%
Louis Leblanc 99 53.51%
Alexander Avtsin 0 0%
Brendan Gallagher 26 14.05%
Sebastien Collberg 58 31.35%
Morgan Ellis 1 0.54%
Patrick Holland 0 0%
Black Geoffrion 0 0%
Michael Bournival 0 0%
Dalton Thrower 0 0%
Steve Quailer 1 0.54%
Aaron Palushaj 0 0%
Danny Kristo 0 0%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 11:52 AM
HabsSlappy

vCash: 500
Went with Leblanc again because in my eyes (using HF criteria):

Leblanc = 7.5B = 7.5 * 0.9 = 6.75 score
--> He has already shown that he is a capable 3rd line forward (6.0 score) and I expect him to have a down side of 6.5, which is a 2nd/3rd line tweener. His upside however has to be a 1st/2nd line tweener at his prime. Therefore 7.5B.

Collberg = 8.0C = 8.0 * 0.8 = 6.40
--> This guy has first line upside but at this point it is too early to call it a sure thing. So I see him as a first liner upside to 3rd liner downside. Therefore 8.0C.

Like I have said before...I really have strong feeling that in a year or two, we may all think that Collberg is our 2nd best prospect and possibly an 8.5B player.

Add Vail please.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:52 AM
76ftw

vCash: 1907
Louiiiiiiis Leb

Old
06-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
The safer pick would be picking the guy that has 4th line potential

IMO this kind of poll is who has the most upside

Last edited by Habs 4 Life: 06-27-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old
06-27-2012, 11:59 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
For some reason I get that too, I feel like he wants to play in the US or at least not a city filled with hockey obsessives who speak French. But I'm not a Kristo fan and I wouldn't mind if he makes me look foolish for dismissing him.

Kristo vs Gallagher is an interesting one, I think Kristo is a safer bet to make the NHL but I'd take Gallagher and his greater desire and greater hockey sense any day.
I don't think Kristo is a safer bet. I think he lacks a lot of things and is farther from the NHL than Gallagher.

I don't understand why Kristo is staying in ND. Brock Nelson has left for Bridgeport in the AHL. His chance of actually winning a NCAA championship have greatly diminished.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:15 PM
x-bob

Leblanc for me. Potential is very nice when ranking prospects but I do value the probability of these players ever becoming NHL players. There isn't much doubt in my mind that Leblanc will be a serviceable player in the NHL and that is why I have him ranked a bit higher then he would be if the poll was based solely on potential.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:25 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Leblanc, add Avtsin.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:31 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
The safer pick would be picking the guy that has 4th line potential

IMO this kind of poll is who has the most upside
Umm No, why would they be safer picks when they are 4th line players at best and AHL players at worst? Leblanc will be a 3rd line forward at worst but a top 6 player at best, he has already given a very very good indication of that.

We just drafted Collberg with the 33rd pick(Although I know Timmins rated him at a top 15 prospect). On top of all Leblac has done so far, Timmins had him as the 9th best player in the 2009 draft.

Again, I think Collberg has the potential to be a better offensive player than Leblanc. However, Leblanc isn't some talentless plug. He can scores goals too.

We tend to overrate our prospects soon after their draft, and then forget about them for the new bloods when they don't meet our expectations.

I am extremely excited about Collberg, but I'm astonished about how underrated Leblanc is on this board.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Habsfan18

Collberg, as he has the higher upside, IMO.

06-27-2012, 12:50 PM
KawaYui

Leblanc

Old
06-27-2012, 12:54 PM
larrypacman8167

Collberg upside

Old
06-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Leblanc, add Mark MacMillan

Old
06-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
People voting for Collberg "upside" over Leblanc "sure bet 3rd liner and +" are probably the same that would have voted for Jozef Balej upside over the reliable Tomas Plekanec 8 years ago. Leblanc is not flashy but he is very effective and is only getting better while Collberg is the flashier but still very raw type of guy.

Give me Leblanc all day over Collberg!
This might change in a year but as of today Leblanc is the better player.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:21 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
People voting for Collberg "upside" over Leblanc "sure bet 3rd liner and +" are probably the same that would have voted for Jozef Balej upside over the reliable Tomas Plekanec 8 years ago. Leblanc is not flashy but he is very effective and is only getting better while Collberg is the flashier but still very raw type of guy.

Plekanec outscored Balej in Hamilton every season.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:24 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:

The player that is 3 years older is the better player today?

Old
06-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
False, when Balej was traded to the rangers he was the scoring leader on the bulldog!(and the AHL if i remember right)
Balej was a dynamo on ice with sickhands and speed.
Plekanec was not flashy but our most effective prospect. He started in the NHL as a 4th liner and raise to our 3rd line in his 1st full season.
Balej was highly touted back in the days and the fans were kinda piss that he was traded (but for Kovalev it was more than worth it).

Last edited by Jeffrey: 06-27-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old
06-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
The player that is 3 years older is the better player today?

You didn't get my point at all ... Collberg might have more upside but he would have to show it on the scoresheet.
As of today I still select Leblanc over Collberg!

Old
06-27-2012, 01:37 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
You didn't get my point at all ... Collberg might have more upside but he would have to show it on the scoresheet.
As of today I still select Leblanc over Collberg!
You mean kinda like how I already mentioned Collberg out producing Leblanc at the WJC despite being a year younger? Yes, it's a small-ish sample, but that's the only comparison we have at the moment.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:45 PM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

In the future, I see Collberg being a legit top line scorer, a perfect compliment to Galchenyuk, similar to the Sedins (bit far-fetched, but I had to say it) - Henrik = playmaker, Galchenyuk = playmaker
Daniel = scorer, Collberg = scorer

I see Collberg having 30-35 + goal potential.

Many people can make an argument for Leblanc here, partly because Collberg's game is more 1-dimentional, while Leblanc offers more of a complete game.

The bottom line is that Collberg has a higher potential, while Leblanc is more likely to reach his lower potential. I see Collberg as a top liner, while Leblanc as a 2nd liner.

I had to go with Collberg here, because of his explosive offensive ability, and goal scoring prowess.

Leblanc would definitely be #5, Thrower at #6, and Gallagher at #7

Also, add Magnus Nygren, he is a sleeper pick now, but I see him as top 4 upside.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Dr_Hook

couple of worthy candidates (kristo and Gallagher) but even having seen minimal action from him, I vote Collberg over Leblanc

full disclaimer : since day one I haven't been a big Leblanc fan. Not really big nor strong, not particularly fast, doesn't have a great shot nor the sweetes set of hands... Just a hard-working smart and polite young man. He's gonna be an NHLer somehow but I fail to see bona fide 2nd line material in him. And frailish 3rd liners don't excite me that much...

That's why I went Collberg whose upside is obvious though he may never get a sniff of the big league

Old
06-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Leblanc, again add Vail!!

Old
06-27-2012, 01:57 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Not in PPG though, as Balej was over a PPG in his 2nd year with the Dogs, Pleks ended up with more points but in 19 more games played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Collberg strictly due to upside. No doubt Leblanc is closer, and no doubt he is at worst a good 3rd liner, but Collberg has all-star upside as a 1st line sniper.
You think Collberg has all star upside? It would be great for us if so but that seems really high expectations for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I like. That doesn't even include Kristo though, but I'm little skeptical of Kristos desire to wear the CH at this point.
You are skeptical of Kristo signing with the Habs even though he recently said he wants to sign with them when his season ends with North Dakota next spring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
Collberg could very well end up being better than Leblanc, however, Leblanc is more likely to reach his potential. Leblanc played very well last year in the AHL and was a good third-line forward in the NHL last year as a rookie. It's very likely that he develops into a top 6 player.

Collberg could end up as a top line winger, but he has not proved himself like Leblanc has. You HAVE to go with Leblanc here, then Collberg, then Gallagher.

Our forward prospects look very very very good right now!
I agree, Collberg could very well end up being better then Leblanc but Leblanc is more likely to reach his potential as he has the smarts and work ethic just needs to work on his strength and try to get quicker imo.

But for me I'm not sure i'd say our forward prospects look "very very very" good. It was a major weakness for us going into the draft and getting Gally/Collberg sure helped a lot but not sure it's enough to make our forward prospects now very very very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I don't think Kristo is a safer bet. I think he lacks a lot of things and is farther from the NHL than Gallagher.

I don't understand why Kristo is staying in ND. Brock Nelson has left for Bridgeport in the AHL. His chance of actually winning a NCAA championship have greatly diminished.
I don't think Kristo is a safer bet then Gallagher either, as Gallagher has the heart that Kristo doesn't. But I doubt many that follow North Dakota would agree that their chance of winning a NCAA championship have greatly diminished. If you followed the team last year, they shouldn't have done anything as injuries were so bad they couldn't dress a full line (it's not like they can call a player up) Kristo was every bit as important to the team as Nelson was, so if they can stay healthy and get more consistency in nets then they most certinaly have as good a shot as last year.

But another thing to consider with Kristo going back to ND. Last season they won their 3rd consectative WCHA championship, no school in WCHA history has ever done that before and in addition this up coming season will be the final for the WCHA as the conference is being broken up for the new conferences in 2013-2014. I know that Kristo has said he wants to win a National Championship but I would think that winning a 4th WCHA championship would also be in his mind, as he would go down in North Dakota's history as the only player to ever win 4 WCHA titles in the schools history plus some teammates if they don't turn pro.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:03 PM
niftymove

Leblanc, pending some tests on Collberg

Old
06-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Not a Fish

Collberg. Because he's the new guy and we always get exited about the new guy.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:15 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
Collberg could very well end up being better than Leblanc, however, Leblanc is more likely to reach his potential. Leblanc played very well last year in the AHL and was a good third-line forward in the NHL last year as a rookie. It's very likely that he develops into a top 6 player.

Collberg could end up as a top line winger, but he has not proved himself like Leblanc has. You HAVE to go with Leblanc here, then Collberg, then Gallagher.

Our forward prospects look very very very good right now!
This. It's why I voted for Leblanc over Collberg.

Fully realize that Collberg has a much higher ceiling, but I like Leblanc a lot as a prospect too. Definitely has the potential to be a great two-way forward..

Old
06-27-2012, 03:19 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Not in PPG though, as Balej was over a PPG in his 2nd year with the Dogs, Pleks ended up with more points but in 19 more games played.

You think Collberg has all star upside? It would be great for us if so but that seems really high expectations for him.

You are skeptical of Kristo signing with the Habs even though he recently said he wants to sign with them when his season ends with North Dakota next spring?

I agree, Collberg could very well end up being better then Leblanc but Leblanc is more likely to reach his potential as he has the smarts and work ethic just needs to work on his strength and try to get quicker imo.

But for me I'm not sure i'd say our forward prospects look "very very very" good. It was a major weakness for us going into the draft and getting Gally/Collberg sure helped a lot but not sure it's enough to make our forward prospects now very very very good.

I don't think Kristo is a safer bet then Gallagher either, as Gallagher has the heart that Kristo doesn't. But I doubt many that follow North Dakota would agree that their chance of winning a NCAA championship have greatly diminished. If you followed the team last year, they shouldn't have done anything as injuries were so bad they couldn't dress a full line (it's not like they can call a player up) Kristo was every bit as important to the team as Nelson was, so if they can stay healthy and get more consistency in nets then they most certinaly have as good a shot as last year.

But another thing to consider with Kristo going back to ND. Last season they won their 3rd consectative WCHA championship, no school in WCHA history has ever done that before and in addition this up coming season will be the final for the WCHA as the conference is being broken up for the new conferences in 2013-2014. I know that Kristo has said he wants to win a National Championship but I would think that winning a 4th WCHA championship would also be in his mind, as he would go down in North Dakota's history as the only player to ever win 4 WCHA titles in the schools history plus some teammates if they don't turn pro.
You are correct, I got carried away. I think it's good though, should be better next year with our many picks.

Closed Thread