HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The end of Mathieu Darche (turns down 2-way deal from Habs)

Old
06-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Why did you quote me and go off on a rant about something my post had nothing to do with?
Hawkeye, you said this

Quote:
I see no problem with a successful team having Darche as a #13/#14 forward.

I say let him go and see what success team signs him .
You think teams with CUP expectations like Detroit or Los Angles picks him up? Sorry.

Detroit called for Travis Moen , fact .....

Could Darche get us a 7th rounder at trade deadline? If your answer is no , then you might need to rethink what "success" means.

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:20 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
agree with most of what you're saying...

People may not have liked how the previous coaches/management used Darche, but the guy was nothing but a dedicated and classy athlete for the organization and for the team. If he is done, he deserves a thank you not a bunch of sarcastic snide remarks.

That said, as a 13th fwd, if we elect to keep a veteran player for that role, I'd prefer Staubitz. I hate fighting and the need to have guys who can play that role, but it is a part of the regular season game in the NHL, and Staubitz presence is more valuable to the team, imo, than Darche if only from the emotional impact on the other players (including the physical guys), who know they have someone on the roster who can step in and stick up for them.

also, with Leblanc, White, Palushaj, Geoffrion and potentially another young guy impressing in camp (Gallagher? Nattinen? Gally? Dumont? Bournival?), if Therrien elects not to carry a pugilist like Staubitz in the 13th player role, I don't know that keeping Darche ahead of one of those guys make sense.

I'll be fine if Darche does come back in that role, but understand if the team decides to move on... either way, the guy deserves nothing but respect from our fan base. You'd think by now with all the players/managers who have actually been a negative impact on the organization, a guy like Darche who was nothing but a stand up person/athlete would get some appreciation.

Thanks Mathieu, and when you're playing days are officially done, I hope the organization gives you an opportunity to pursue a front office role with us if that's in the cards for you.

Like someone said early, it would be a waste to have those guys in the pressbox most nights. Those guys are better goal playing with the Bulldogs.

Going into the season, our 4th line was suppose to be Moen-Betts/Noke-White with Darche being the 13 forward, and would have rarely played if it wast for all the injuries. Now if management would rather have someone else they feel might be better than I'm all for it. But Darche is fit perfect for that 13th forward role, a lot better then some of the young guys.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Thank you for so eloquently writing what (I hope) most of us feel.

Darche was always a class act who did everything asked of him. He was far more productive than White or Staubitz, to the point where he was good enough to be used on the PP, but not good enough to replace the injured players. Tough position. But that's not his fault nor his decision. Blaming him is like blaming the plug for the hole.
Staubitz was very productive in his own way. Of course this was only noted by guys like Subban, Price, Pacioretty, etc... What would those guys know?

As many times as the guys wearing the jersey will say how much they needed a guy like Staubitz, you guys will still piss and moan about him (and other enforcers).

Citing Vancouver as an example for success is laughable. Choke every year when the going gets tough, and laid down to a much tougher Bruins team.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:24 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Hawkeye, you said this

I say let him go and see what success team signs him .
You think teams with CUP expectations like Detroit or Los Angles picks him up? Sorry.

Detroit called for Travis Moen , fact .....
LA carried a guy that played like 7 games all season. That's what a 14th forward should do - play sparingly and set a good example in practice.

Darche could easily fill that roll.

You have your mind set because management used him wrong. I get it but you're kidding yourself if you don't think he could be part of a winning team.

Plus, Aaron Downey won a cup with Detroit - so there goes that theory.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Uber Coca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Hmm? Not sure if serious.

Oh and if he does leave, he should just fly to Tampa right now. No point waiting until July 1st.
It was reported by Martin McGuire. No link tho.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
LA carried a guy that played like 7 games all season. That's what a 14th forward should do - play sparingly and set a good example in practice.

Darche could easily fill that roll.

Plus, Aaron Downey won a cup with Detroit - so there goes that theory.
was Downey on the top lines in Detroit ?

Was Downey on the Detroit power play?
Darche pick up 80 mins of pp time in just 59 games in 2010 -11,then another 12 min of it in PLAYOFF's in 7 games...that should be a joke,never happen in Detroit ..

Did the guy who played 7 games for LA , play any power play or first line time?

It should show you how far we fallen .

Old
06-27-2012, 02:28 PM
kojiro

You have a limited amount of spots on a team as it is, the problem with Darche is that he doesn't really fit in any specific role anymore on the team outside of wily veteran/quota french player. If we want to have 3 offensive line ( and we definitely SHOULD want that !) I just don't see him fit anywhere on the lineup. That leaves the 13Th forward spot and I would much rather have guys like White and Dumont competing for that spot honestly....Darche was fine on a losing team but if we want to take the next step we have to get better energy players and better dept in general.

kojiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Aurel Joliat

The real question is : Who's ganna do the interviews in french ?

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:30 PM
HabsSlappy

Some are too quick to think they would be getting an upgrade on Darche. Darche is what he is a 13th forward as others have said. He was overused by previous management/coaches and was asked to play above his talent level.

I have no problem having him back as a 12/13/14 forward. He gives his all and seems like a good team guy. Not sure who else some think we would get that would be a huge upgrade at the same price. We just have to hope that Terrien doesn't see him as a 2nd/3rd line player with PP time the way that Martin did.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:30 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Good bye darche, you don't have the talent to play in NHL, never had. The only reason MTL signed you was beacuse you were a local guy. Now, say thank you, and move on....

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:32 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

I liked him, but am very happy to see him go. Our Bottom 6 needs a new look.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:33 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
Good bye darche, you don't have the talent to play in NHL, never had. The only reason MTL signed you was beacuse you were a local guy. Now, say thank you, and move on....
12 goals, 14 assists in 59 games in 2010/2011.

A playoff team.

And on that playoff team played more than 15 minutes per game in a 7 game series against the eventual cup champs.

People can trash on Martin, and Darche, and Gauthier all they want but I just LoL at comments like that. You don't score 12 goals and 14 assists becuaes you "don't have the talent to play in the NHL"

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
Some are too quick to think they would be getting an upgrade on Darche. Darche is what he is a 13th forward as others have said. He was overused by previous management/coaches and was asked to play above his talent level.

I have no problem having him back as a 12/13/14 forward. He gives his all and seems like a good team guy. Not sure who else some think we would get that would be a huge upgrade at the same price. We just have to hope that Terrien doesn't see him as a 2nd/3rd line player with PP time the way that Martin did.
A 13th forward is suppose to play something like 40 games. Darche was a healthy scratch for 1 game in 2 years. If we have injuries, we should recall youngsters to give them ice time in the NHL

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
12 goals, 14 assists in 59 games in 2010/2011.

A playoff team.

And on that playoff team played more than 15 minutes per game in a 7 game series against the eventual cup champs.

People can trash on Martin, and Darche, and Gauthier all they want but I just LoL at comments like that. You don't score 12 goals and 14 assists becuaes you "don't have the talent to play in the NHL"
yes if Montreal had more first and second line players like this, we'd be first in the draft every year!

So what he got 26 point playing top line minutes on first and second line,and power play time ! not good enough for a top 6 forward.

It was a "feel good" story that should have last a few weeks at best ,UNTIL they found someone to fill the big HOLE .

Old
06-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I think if Darche could fight he would have been re-signed. So far it seems like they are targetting to get tougher, but still have players who can play.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:38 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
yes if Montreal had more first and second line player like this we be first in the drat every year!

So what he got 26 point playing top line minutes,and power play time ! not good enough .
Uhhhh...

No, he most certainly did not play top line minutes

Out of 11 forwards who played more than 40 games with the Habs he placed 11th in ES time per game and 8th in PP time per game

What the hell are you talking about? Hahaha. Top line minutes?

Revisionist historian much?

Old
06-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Adamcrazy3

He will not be missed. NANANANA NANANANA EHHH EHHH GOOD BYE

Adamcrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Uhhhh...

No, he most certainly did not play top line minutes

Out of 11 forwards who played more than 40 games with the Habs he placed 11th in ES time per game and 8th in PP time per game

What the hell are you talking about? Hahaha. Top line minutes?

Revisionist historian much?
Listen man ,in the final minute(s) of playoffs vs Flyers Habs down a goal, DARCHE ON THE ICE..... That is what I'm talking about....

No serious NHL team trying to win cups, plays Darche on PP..NONE.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:43 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I love how one thing has nothing to do with the other.

Seriously, what is your point?
Obviously they are not related in hockey terms, one is a centre, the other a winger.

But I find it funny a guy that forechecks hard and never complained gets so much hate while a guy that never did anything gets so much love just because he's younger and bigger.

People can complain that Darche wasn't used well, but that's not his fault, nor was it a guarantee that Therrien would do the same. He did the job he was asked and would have continued to play hard with a diminished role as a 13th/14th forward.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:45 PM
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

classy guy but time to move on he doesnt bring anything special to the table for this team and id rather have grittier guy on the bottom 6 im sure he can find a job on the islanders or another young team that needs vetran presence

We Want The 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:48 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Listen man ,in the final minute(s) of playoffs vs Flyers Habs down a goal, DARCHE ON THE ICE..... That is what I'm talking about....

No serious NHL team trying to win cup, plays Darche on PP..NONE.
Quit ignoring the fact that you made a false comment about him getting anywhere EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE to top line minutes.

Last minutes of playoffs vs. Flyers?

Just looked it up, he played 6:10 ES and 6:14 TOTAL per game in the playoffs in 2009/2010

Oh, and he played 11 out of a possible 19 games.

I''m sorry to burst your little bubble but the fact that he was apparently on the ice in 2009/2010 in the last minute doesn't mean he was getting top line minutes, doesn't mean he was getting top 6 minutes, and sure as hell doesn't mean he was getting top 9 minutes.

Please stop embarrassing yourself.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Quit ignoring the fact that you made a false comment about him getting anywhere EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE to top line minutes.

Last minutes of playoffs vs. Flyers?

Just looked it up, he played 6:10 ES and 6:14 TOTAL per game in the playoffs in 2009/2010

Oh, and he played 11 out of a possible 19 games.

I''m sorry to burst your little bubble but the fact that he was apparently on the ice in 2009/2010 in the last minute doesn't mean he was getting top line minutes, doesn't mean he was getting top 6 minutes, and sure as hell doesn't mean he was getting top 9 minutes.

Please stop embarrassing yourself.
anyone who stuck up for Gauthier Martin and now crying over Darche, are doing just that.

There all good men , yes.....

He was on the ice late ,very late in IMPORTANT GAMES when habs need 1 goal to tie it .....that don't happen on successful teams .

Old
06-27-2012, 02:51 PM
SmurfsFTW
Wait.. WUT ?!

And when people ask Mtl fans why they always crap on Franco players, and the hypocrites are all saying 'nay ain't happening, we hate everybody equal etc etc.'

Here's a fresh example (this whole thread).

Celebrating that a guy like Darche (a pretty serviceable 4rth liner) won't be coming back next year... Pathetic. Minimum cap hit, you know what you get with this guy, but we want guys that can fight. FYI, Darche is better than White, Staubitz, Leblanc, Geoffrion, Palushaj. But oh wait, he's older, forget skills, just sort them by AGE.

Admit that 50% of your hate is because he's a ******* French guy, but then, don't cry when good franco players turn down offers to come play for the Habs.

Same idiots that say 'stay classy with Gomez, don't boo him, he's a nice guy etc'. I remember a thread last season, posters defending Gomez saying we shouldn't boo him, that we're not the same fanbase that booed Breezer. And then this. Rejoice, our defensive forward depth is non-existant now.

Clearly, Bergevin KNOWS Darche was a good PKer, and that you can't assign PK duties to rookies (unless they prove themselves). He'll probably try to sign some UFA to fill that hole, but then, Darche was our depth in that dpt. Why not sign a better UFA and then Darche in case that UFA gets injured ? I want Darche back but not full time, only in case of injury to our bottom 6.

Last edited by SmurfsFTW: 06-27-2012 at 03:02 PM.
SmurfsFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:54 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
anyone who stuck up for Gauthier Martin and now crying over Darche, are doing just that.

There all good men , yes.....

He was on the ice late in very late in IMPORTANT GAMES.....the don't happen on successful teams .
I find it really amusing that you're referencing the minutes he got the year the Habs went to the conference finals.

You realize that if you finish in the conference finals that you are one of the 4 best teams? And by any math or logic I know finishing 4th out of 30 would be deemed at least moderately successful.

And of course you're ignoring that in these IMPORTANT GAMES Darche played 11 out of 19 games and when he did played got 6:15 per game.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:56 PM
GinoCyber*

Quote:
was Downey on the top lines in Detroit ?

Was Downey on the Detroit power play?
Darche pick up 80 mins of pp time in just 59 games in 2010 -11,then another 12 min of it in PLAYOFF's in 7 games...that should be a joke,never happen in Detroit ..

Did the guy who played 7 games for LA , play any power play or first line time?

It should show you how far we fallen .
Again, Darche's excessive icetime is not Darche's fault. He did not hold a gun to the coaches head ahd insisted to play those minutes in those positions. So yours and eveyone's arguement about giving Darche good ridance is way off.

GinoCyber* is offline   Reply With Quote