Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

St.Michael's sold to Businessman Elliot Kerr

Old
05-25-2012, 05:48 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

vCash: 500
Do not like the new name at all. Seems just bland.

Even worse, the great jerseys they have now will change

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Garyboy

The Steelheads? Yikes.

Should have gone with Mississauga Massage Parlors.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Uncle Slick

Don't much care about the new name.

My only interest is that on any given home date I can continue to walk up and buy tickets.

Kerr isn't going to be any more successful than previous owners.

Uncle Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 12:39 PM
HarbinIceHogs

Is Mississauga a hockey market...It could be if it was marketed correctly, fixing the current attendance problems will take more than a new logo and owners.

I am a life long Ranger fan in Kitchener and I follow attendance closely in the league. I would garner that Missy attendance historically has been less than 2000 fans per game in a state of the art facility. This discounts the Memorial Cup hosting year and the year after. Missy had a stipulation in buying the initial tickets to the Cup was getting season tickets, thus attendance was up, but not really as it is ticket sold and not butts in the seats.

Could the club carve out a fanbase in a city of 800 000 certainly. In my opinion they need to look to the states to do this. There are tons of Minor League sports teams who play in Major League cities or suburbs and make a living at it.

HarbinIceHogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:23 AM
93skaterz

Can't believe a million dollar business would let a contest select their franchise name! Especially if they intend to remain in the same venue /league for any length of time. Should make for some interesting headlines :

Battalion feed on the Trout!

Steelheads buried by Ice Dogs!

Generals gut the Trout!

Knights throw net over the Steelheads!

Never mind Denmark, something Fishy in Missy!

Its not even spring yet but it is all upstream for the Steelheads!

Mississauga thought they had a keeper but were tossed back during overtime!

Steelheads host first ever Gay/Lesbian fan night and unveil their 3rd jersey -----> RAINBOW TROUT

and the list goes on and on and on!

93skaterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:15 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93skaterz View Post
Can't believe a million dollar business would let a contest select their franchise name!
Not that uncommon. The Toronto Raptors did. There was a contest to name SkyDome. Of course, in both cases it hinged upon ownership choosing the final name...not sure if that was the case in Mississauga. The Steelheads is pretty bad...I have absolutely no association with Mississauga and fish. Muskoka? Sure. Mississauga? No...

If it were me I would have just dropped the "St. Michaels" portion and left it at that...

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:48 AM
OHLTG

Not that I like the logo or anything, but the reason for Steelhead is because the Steelhead fish is common in the Credit River, which runs through or very close to Mississauga (I've been to it a few times north of the city).

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:35 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Not that uncommon. The Toronto Raptors did. There was a contest to name SkyDome. Of course, in both cases it hinged upon ownership choosing the final name...not sure if that was the case in Mississauga. The Steelheads is pretty bad...I have absolutely no association with Mississauga and fish. Muskoka? Sure. Mississauga? No...

If it were me I would have just dropped the "St. Michaels" portion and left it at that...
The team was originally the Toronto "St. Michaels" Majors so once they dropped St. Mikes they had to also drop the Majors according to members close to the team. Regarding the people who think that they shouldn't have allowed the fans to name the team, the fans just voted on the choices given.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Uncle Slick

I've heard 2 figures related to the sale, $7 mil; and $8.5.
Anyone heard, seen anything related to cost or value of this transaction or other OHL franchises?

Uncle Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Cams

Apparently, I am late to the party, but I thought Lakers would have been a cool name. Seeing as Mississauga is a city on great lakes (St. Lawrence Seaway) system, they could have had a decent logo with a lake freighter somehow incorporated. Could have had neat headlines too - Lakers sail through Erie, Spitfires sink the Lakers, etc. I believe LSSU (Lake Superior State) has the Lakers name, and use an anchor as a logo????

Steelheads isn't bad though, good thing Hamilton doesn't have the Steelhawks anymore - that would be easy to confuse the teams when they play each other!

Cams is offline   Reply With Quote