HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Development Camp 2012

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-27-2012, 02:53 PM
  #226
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Woop, turns out it was McIlrath going for a big hit!

I think some pro coaching will help him with that so I'm not too worried, he's a smart dude
Shocking isn't it?

And I disagree, you should be a little more worried

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:00 PM
  #227
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Shocking isn't it?

And I disagree, you should be a little more worried
If there's one thing I'm not worried about with McIlrath it's the head on his shoulders. Taking lots of runs and throwing huge hits is a conscious decision that has to be made and if he's told to lay off of it and work on timing it better, then I think he will make an effort to do so

I'm much more worried about his overall defensive game and how he improves things like positioning, etc

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:17 PM
  #228
Svenhart2008
Registered User
 
Svenhart2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 561
vCash: 500
Pictures or the NYR prospects boat cruise

http://blueshirtsunited.com/photos/1...the-collection

Svenhart2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:17 PM
  #229
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,638
vCash: 500
That's alot of confidence Lev.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:41 PM
  #230
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
If there's one thing I'm not worried about with McIlrath it's the head on his shoulders. Taking lots of runs and throwing huge hits is a conscious decision that has to be made and if he's told to lay off of it and work on timing it better, then I think he will make an effort to do so

I'm much more worried about his overall defensive game and how he improves things like positioning, etc
Those things are not mutually exclusive. In fact, they're pretty closely tied together. You'd think coaches would have been telling him not to chase hits and take himself out of position already, since that's the biggest flaw in his game and something that you can't do in the NHL without hurting your team drastically. So why is he still doing it?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:54 PM
  #231
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,375
vCash: 500
Maybe his name has been mentioned already and I didn't catch it but he's not on the camp list--but there's a Ryan Haggerty who plays for RPI--got a goal today.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:04 PM
  #232
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,378
vCash: 500
Lindberg looked good.

The guy who I was hoping going to make a real impression was Thomas. But its looking more and more the kid probably won't be able to transition his game.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:57 PM
  #233
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Those things are not mutually exclusive. In fact, they're pretty closely tied together. You'd think coaches would have been telling him not to chase hits and take himself out of position already, since that's the biggest flaw in his game and something that you can't do in the NHL without hurting your team drastically. So why is he still doing it?
I dont agree, thats not the biggest problem he has.

I think that he is good natural hitter and it just comes natural for him to stand forwards up.

The problem he has is this really. I don't know where he came from when he came to the WHL. But it was (naturally) not a high level. And McI definitely got a history of being more of a two-way D. In the WHL, he has sparsely been used in a big role. He has mostly played in a no 4 role.

What does it take to be a decent top 6 D in NY? To display great gap controll (that's really what playing D is about these days?)? To be able to stay at "the right side" against the best of the world without clutching and grabbing?

A long answer short. It takes alot. In that sense, McI does just not have "alot". And why would he? Staal is extremely special. McD has been so impressive. Girardi paid his dues, for what 6 years, and he gets to concentrate on the few, really, very strong qualities he do have.

McI is just not good enough to in general play a good game, not just get by most of the time. Because a D like that would never crack our blueline.

Besides that, he has qualities that would/will give him a cult status if/ when he do become good enough.

He is also no stiff in any sense really, and could with time move up into a no 4 role.

So what he really must do is work on his game all over the board. Just concentrating on putting it together. Getting a good feel for the game and so that he is more comfortable on the ice.

I think would be very contrproductive to start putting a leash on him and trying to minimalize his misstakes/breakdowns by getting him to play a safer game. He needs to do what he does and do it well. He will need to do many things well to make it to the NHL. Otherwise he will go the same route as Bobby Sanga who focused on defense for 3 years after getting drafted and ended up becoming a D who couldn't do anything well...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:01 PM
  #234
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Lindberg looked good.

The guy who I was hoping going to make a real impression was Thomas. But its looking more and more the kid probably won't be able to transition his game.
And yet over the past month or so there have been a small crop of people coming up with crazy proposals that are ok to go through with because they have Thomas penciled into the lineup on 3rd line RW.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:24 PM
  #235
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!
 
MrAlmost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: R.I.P.
Country: United States
Posts: 392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenhart2008 View Post
Pictures or the NYR prospects boat cruise

http://blueshirtsunited.com/photos/1...the-collection
Some good pics. I didnt know J.T. Miller could smile.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:13 PM
  #236
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
This is true even for high picks, especially those like Dylan McIlrath, the Rangers’ first-rounder in 2010, who need time to develop physically to be ready for the NHL. Broad shouldered and 6-5, McIlrath has slowly and steadily packed on muscle since he was drafted, and only now is he starting to look like the imposing, crease-clearing force that New York has lacked on the blue line.

“I think I’m finally growing into my body,” said McIlrath, the No. 10 overall selection two years ago who has been biding his time with the Moose Jaw Warriors of the Western Hockey League, got five games of pro experience this spring with the AHL’s Connecticut Whale and then practiced with the Rangers during the Eastern Conference finals. “I’m able to gain muscle, and I feel a lot more powerful.”

With a strong defense corps anchored by Dan Girardi, Ryan McDonagh and Marc Staal, the Rangers do not need to rush McIlrath, and they are not. Players are drafted for what they can do over the course of their careers, not what they can do before they can legally drink. In 2003, the Atlanta Thrashers made Braydon Coburn, another 6-5 defenseman, the No. 8 overall pick. Like McIlrath, Coburn played the next two seasons in the WHL, with Portland, before debuting with nine NHL games at the start of the 2005-06 season. Coburn spent the rest of that season in the AHL with the Chicago Wolves, and since a trade to the Flyers in February of his second pro season, has not played a game below the NHL level. At the age of 27, Coburn is a 22-minute-a-game defenseman for the Flyers.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...s-hall-of-fame

Coburn for Zhitnik.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:46 PM
  #237
NYR82124
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I dont really get the scrimmaging in late June. At all. They should be doing alot of heavy lifting, not trying to impress...
It makes complete sense to me. The prospects still need to work on their game during the summer, and the Development Camp gives them the opportunity to do that with people that they could potentially be playing with in the NHL. It also give the scouts the chance to see what they have, and gives them an idea of which players could be ready to play next season. It also helps management figure out what types of players they need to get during the offseason.

NYR82124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:48 PM
  #238
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR82124 View Post
It makes complete sense to me. The prospects still need to work on their game during the summer, and the Development Camp gives them the opportunity to do that with people that they could potentially be playing with in the NHL. It also give the scouts the chance to see what they have, and gives them an idea of which players could be ready to play next season. It also helps management figure out what types of players they need to get during the offseason.
I'm with you on all but the last part. Considering 99% of these kids won't be making the team out of camp I don't see how it has any real bearing on who the team goes after during the off season.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:50 PM
  #239
NYR82124
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
Great. So the season hasn't started, and we already have 2 injured prospects, and Gaborik. Hope that's not a bad omen...

NYR82124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:51 PM
  #240
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR82124 View Post
Great. So the season hasn't started, and we already have 2 injured prospects, and Gaborik. Hope that's not a bad omen...
They aren't injured...it's just some bumps and bruises.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:55 PM
  #241
NYR82124
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I'm with you on all but the last part. Considering 99% of these kids won't be making the team out of camp I don't see how it has any real bearing on who the team goes after during the off season.
True... but if they see a player who has unexpectedly improved drastically, and who seems just as good as, or better than, players that we already have in the NHL, and would fit in well with the team, then they wouldn't need to address that hole in the roster during the off season. It's highly unlikely, but possible. But I understand what you're saying.

NYR82124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:29 PM
  #242
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!
 
MrAlmost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: R.I.P.
Country: United States
Posts: 392
vCash: 500
Why do you guys dislike McIlrath so much?

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:35 PM
  #243
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen
 
Miamipuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Take a Wild Guess
Posts: 1,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
Why do you guys dislike McIlrath so much?
He doesn't shower much and smells.


Some people just don't like the fact he was a #10 pick when they feel there were better options and 2 years later they still haven't got over that. If he becomes a Beukeboom clone/type, I am sure they will come around.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:48 PM
  #244
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!
 
MrAlmost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: R.I.P.
Country: United States
Posts: 392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
He doesn't shower much and smells.


Some people just don't like the fact he was a #10 pick when they feel there were better options and 2 years later they still haven't got over that. If he becomes a Beukeboom clone/type, I am sure they will come around.


It just seems odd that its to the point where these posts come off hoping the poor kid fails so they could say "I told ya so" and make themselves out to be scouting gurus. I understand that he was picked really high and there were other players on the board who many think would have been the better pick, but he hasn't seemed like a horrible pick. If he would have really regressed in development maybe we would have a problem, but he seems to be doing quite well and was quite good in camp last year.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:55 PM
  #245
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
Why do you guys dislike McIlrath so much?
Just a guess but I'd say it's the same reason why they would want to trade Gaborik or MDZ every season. Because Ranger fans in general are a fickle bunch. Some people still have butt-hurt from us not taking Cam "can't play defense but had one decent season" Fowler (heck, even he could bounce back like MDZ did). Because Ranger fans in general are an impatient lot. The concept of waiting 4 years for a d-man to develop and mature is fundamentally offensive. If he can't make the team right away like MDZ and Staal did, he's an automatic bust/failure. because on the internet, we can be as loud and obnoxious as we want and even thought Leslie is the only one with any first-hand observations, we can be total d-bags and say **** like we already know everything. because their sense of worth is the summations of "i told you so's" that they can rack up?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:58 PM
  #246
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Just a guess but I'd say it's the same reason why they would want to trade Gaborik or MDZ every season. Because Ranger fans in general are a fickle bunch. Some people still have butt-hurt from us not taking Cam "can't play defense but had one decent season" Fowler (heck, even he could bounce back like MDZ did). Because Ranger fans in general are an impatient lot. The concept of waiting 4 years for a d-man to develop and mature is fundamentally offensive. If he can't make the team right away like MDZ and Staal did, he's an automatic bust/failure. because on the internet, we can be as loud and obnoxious as we want and even thought Leslie is the only one with any first-hand observations, we can be total d-bags and say **** like we already know everything. because their sense of worth is the summations of "i told you so's" that they can rack up?
The hilarious part: They all say they wanted a youth movement for years. Yet, they don't even want to have slightest amount of patience with our young players.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:05 PM
  #247
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!
 
MrAlmost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: R.I.P.
Country: United States
Posts: 392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Just a guess but I'd say it's the same reason why they would want to trade Gaborik or MDZ every season. Because Ranger fans in general are a fickle bunch. Some people still have butt-hurt from us not taking Cam "can't play defense but had one decent season" Fowler (heck, even he could bounce back like MDZ did). Because Ranger fans in general are an impatient lot. The concept of waiting 4 years for a d-man to develop and mature is fundamentally offensive. If he can't make the team right away like MDZ and Staal did, he's an automatic bust/failure. because on the internet, we can be as loud and obnoxious as we want and even thought Leslie is the only one with any first-hand observations, we can be total d-bags and say **** like we already know everything. because their sense of worth is the summations of "i told you so's" that they can rack up?
Yeah thats another thing. Has anyone on this board watched McIlrath consistently on Moose Jaw?

Because when I read stuff on him from people who watch a lot, they seem to have only positives to say about him, with the occasional posistioning and gap problem and trying to throw a big check that misses. And this year it seems like he picked up his offensive game which is good.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:25 PM
  #248
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen
 
Miamipuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Take a Wild Guess
Posts: 1,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Just a guess but I'd say it's the same reason why they would want to trade Gaborik or MDZ every season. Because Ranger fans in general are a fickle bunch. Some people still have butt-hurt from us not taking Cam "can't play defense but had one decent season" Fowler (heck, even he could bounce back like MDZ did). Because Ranger fans in general are an impatient lot. The concept of waiting 4 years for a d-man to develop and mature is fundamentally offensive. If he can't make the team right away like MDZ and Staal did, he's an automatic bust/failure. because on the internet, we can be as loud and obnoxious as we want and even thought Leslie is the only one with any first-hand observations, we can be total d-bags and say **** like we already know everything. because their sense of worth is the summations of "i told you so's" that they can rack up?
Is it ok if I am loud, obnoxious and a d-bag in real life as well?

But yeah there is a part of this fanbase that would rather McI fail and be right than be patient for a player to develop. Meh all fanbases have that negative energy sucking element.

Edit: basically what MrAlmost said earlier.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:43 PM
  #249
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post


It just seems odd that its to the point where these posts come off hoping the poor kid fails so they could say "I told ya so" and make themselves out to be scouting gurus. I understand that he was picked really high and there were other players on the board who many think would have been the better pick, but he hasn't seemed like a horrible pick. If he would have really regressed in development maybe we would have a problem, but he seems to be doing quite well and was quite good in camp last year.
I for one hate seeing young guys fail... It's their dream yknow? Id rather be wrong and eat mega crow about someone I thought wasn't a great choice and be happy.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:54 PM
  #250
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
It stinks both McLI and Fast got a little banged up but both look to be minor. These scrimmages are very important. Builds friendships, chemistry, familiarity, shows the prospects how hard it's going to be to make it to the NHL, helps guide their summer, etc. Any chance a prospect has to compete and work with NHL trainers, in an NHL facility is essential to development. Not every non first rounder can be a Mike Ridley or Tim Kerr and just show up and have the ability to play with the big club.

Lindberg looks to be a shrewd pickup. I don't expect much offense from him but he should come in and hold down the fort on the fourth line for the next decade. You all think it's funny how much Torts will use Boyle or Richards on D-Zone faceoffs, Lindberg is going to be that guy; the guy who with 7.7 seconds with a one goal lead in a tie playoff series will be out there to prevent Buffalo in 2007 again.

McLIrath will be fine. It's cool to hate him. If he projects to be what they envisioned, he's going to be a very valuable piece in the Rangers tough division/conference/whatever it's called in the future.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.