HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kovalchuk: Wild, Red Wings, Islanders, Canadiiens

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 03:43 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 500
Actually wouldn't surprise me, if NJD had to choose between Parise and Kovy, if they chose Parise.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
-No Movement Clause
-Is under contract until age 42
-Is still owed $88M
-Devils forfeited two draft picks and money trying to sign him
-Happy in New Jersey
-New Jersey is happy to have him
-Just settled down and built a house in New Jersey
-Just had an very deep playoff run

He's literally the least likely player in the league to get traded.

Halak, Ryder, 2nd
The Kovaluchuk signing was widely believed by many to be the doing of Vanderbeek and not Lou.
Conincidentally, isn't the league about to push Vanderbeek out?
If you believe Lou never wanted to tie up all that $$ in Kovy, and you also believe he values Parise more and cannot afford them both, then this rumor makes perfect sense.

Kovy's cap hit is only $1.5 more than Wideman and will likely be about $1.5 m per year less than Parise, , so he is a bargain when you talk about elite forwards in the league. I would think 6-10 teams would be very interested.

The usual cast of characters (Rangers, Pens, Leafs, Flyers, Sharks, etc.)

Old
06-27-2012, 03:45 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
well, NYI is not that far from NJ

but no, I doubt he waives for NYI
Why would the Islanders want Kovy? His salary is moronic for what he provides, and no he's not a top 10 NHL player in the league.

Whoever said that? Really? Cmon. Second, there is no chance in hell Wang takes on that contract. Third, I doubt Kovy wants to leave the EC Champions for the Islanders.

Last edited by piqued: 06-27-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old
06-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

What a joke.

Kovy goes no where.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:16 PM
RespectYourEdlers

hahahahhaahah
this is good for laughs

Old
06-27-2012, 04:21 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
The Kovaluchuk signing was widely believed by many to be the doing of Vanderbeek and not Lou.
Speculation.

Even if Lou didn't want to sign Kovy (which he did), I'm sure the whole '1st Team All-Star' and '18 point playoff while playing with an injured back' and 'transforming oneself into a complete player that takes regular PK shifts' probably softened his stance.

Quote:
Conincidentally, isn't the league about to push Vanderbeek out?
No, actually they're not. Several credible journalists suggest that the financial situation will be resolved shortly.

Quote:
If you believe Lou never wanted to tie up all that $$ in Kovy, and you also believe he values Parise more and cannot afford them both, then this rumor makes perfect sense.
If he didn't want to sign Kovy, then he wouldn't have handcuffed himself by giving him a NMC.

It's much easier to trade Clarkson, Zubrus, or Tallinder/Greene to clear salary.

Besides, how Lou values Zach Parise is in no way related to how he values Ilya Kovalchuk. They're completely different players.

Quote:
Kovy's cap hit is only $1.5 more than Wideman and will likely be about $1.5 m per year less than Parise, , so he is a bargain when you talk about elite forwards in the league. I would think 6-10 teams would be very interested.

The usual cast of characters (Rangers, Pens, Leafs, Flyers, Sharks, etc.)
If you honestly think for one second than Lou Lamoriello would trade a weapon like Ilya Kovalchuk to a divisional rival then there's no point in even discussing this with you. He'd rather trade his daughter to a biker gang than trade him to a franchise-caliber player Atlantic Division team.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:25 PM
ginovegas

montreal wants him
we'll give you back all the former Devils we have

Old
06-27-2012, 04:40 PM
lolwut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Kovy just built a Multi Million dollar house in Alpine NJ

You think he will move his NTC to go to NYI
The commute cant be that far

Old
06-27-2012, 04:47 PM
GDDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeStarve4Success View Post
Why would the Islanders want Kovy? His salary is moronic for what he provides, and no he's not a top 10 NHL player in the league.

Whoever said that? Really? Cmon. Second, there is no chance in hell Wang takes on that contract. Third, I doubt Kovy wants to leave the EC Champions for the Islanders.

Eklund is really such a toolbag.
Last years stats disagree.

5th in points.
7th in goals.

You may not like him but that argument holds little to no water.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
everyone knows Kovalchuk is a defenceman, a norris-candidate early last season actually with his 33 minutes per game
what happened to that thread, it was hysterical
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
For some teams it's more important his cap hit. And it's great...
6.66 million for arguably the best winger in the game is great, but the 11 million he's actually owed is not something every team can afford, and the ones that can for the most part are either teams lou would not want to trade kovy to, or probably don't have the assets it would take to get him. not to mention kovy was playing with a back injury in the playoffs. that makes it all the more impressive that he still finished tied for the playoffs lead in points, but back problems tend to linger for a LONG time and a lot of teams may be weary of committing to him like that until they see him play again, which obviously won't happen during the offseason.
Quote:
It's much easier to trade Clarkson, Zubrus, or Tallinder/Greene to clear salary.
agreed, there are plenty of guys we could dump to a cap floor team to clear salary if we need to. guys like zubrus and pretty much the entirety of our defense besides larsson and fayne are all replaceable with cheaper options.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:00 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

The league should have approved the 17 year deal and the Devils should not have been penalized.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Just when a few of Eklund's rumors and articles were starting to make a little sense too. . . .

Old
06-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Section32

Are the Devils in financial trouble or not?

I have read that they are from a number of different sources...

Most Devils fans respond to this rumor as absolutely untrue, that it is just "Devil hate..."

If there a possibility that the league takes over the team, why would it be unfathomable that Kovy is traded? Because he just built a house in NJ? (Though granted, he isn't going to the Islanders...)

I have a hunch that Lou never wanted to sign him to such a deal- that it was all Vanderbeek- I also get the feeling there is a lot of tension behind the scenes...Parise is Lou's guy so I think there is a good chance he gets him locked up. But would the league allow the Devils to spend to or near the cap if they have considerable debt issues?

Old
06-27-2012, 05:17 PM
HavlatMach9

Is there better value for a player than Kovalchuk? Superstar performance, top 3 goal scorer for less than 7m caphit is amazing.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Unagi

Would be pretty funny if he was traded.

A Semin-Datsyuk-Kovalchuk like would be SICK.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:18 PM
beastly115

This is quite possibly the most outlandish thing Eklund has ever said. Wow.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:22 PM
ronnyweed

kovy datsyuk semin?

Old
06-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Guys dont even think about it

Its the retard Eklund. Kovy just bought a house in NJ, Im sure he will waive the NTC now and move
He actually threw down 4.5 million for the land and will be building a new house in Alpine this summer I believe.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Always has to throw the Habs or leafs in there to get his hits. So effin predictable.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

This further validates my decision to unfollow Eklund on twitter. Dude is *terrible*.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

The part where it makes sense is that NJ are in the red. I wouldn't be surprised if they would start shedding salaries left and right.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Eklund is also claiming that Montreal would require that NJ buys a French version of Rosetta Stone and sends it with Kovy as a part of the transaction.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:17 PM
ZetterBurger

The ONLY way I can see the Devils trying to move Kovalchuk is if they really are in serious trouble financially and just cannot afford to pay him. The Red Wings would be the best fit for him I think, but what would he cost? I would imagine that good, cheap players would need to go back in the other direction.

Franzen + Filppula + Jurco + Ouellet? I think that helps now and really could help in the future. Wings probably still need to add at least picks and the Devils would need to take a lifetime contract back. I seriously doubt he is even available but the Wings should be all over it if he is.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:31 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section32 View Post
Are the Devils in financial trouble or not?

I have read that they are from a number of different sources...

Most Devils fans respond to this rumor as absolutely untrue, that it is just "Devil hate..."

If there a possibility that the league takes over the team, why would it be unfathomable that Kovy is traded? Because he just built a house in NJ? (Though granted, he isn't going to the Islanders...)

I have a hunch that Lou never wanted to sign him to such a deal- that it was all Vanderbeek- I also get the feeling there is a lot of tension behind the scenes...Parise is Lou's guy so I think there is a good chance he gets him locked up. But would the league allow the Devils to spend to or near the cap if they have considerable debt issues?
The only source that has reported consistently is the New York Post. They cite 'unnamed sources' and never provide any evidence. It's mostly unfounded speculation and a lot of what they said has gone on to eventually be proven incorrect.

Most outlets reporting on the Devils financial situation cite the Post. But recently some respected journalists like Chris Botta and the New York Times have come out and said the opposite of what the Post says. In fact the Times claims to have a copy of the term sheet provided to the new investors.

Bottom line is the Devils are in financial trouble, but it's related to the arena and not the operating costs of the franchise. And it looks like there's a solution coming very soon. Lou has said that financial aspects are not going to influence hockey decisions and I take him at his word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
The part where it makes sense is that NJ are in the red. I wouldn't be surprised if they would start shedding salaries left and right.
And yet they added salary three times this past season.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
And yet they added salary three times this past season.
That was then. This is now.

Closed Thread