HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buyout Brzgalov Trade for Luongo

Old
06-27-2012, 01:41 PM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Bryz won't last long if he plays like he did last season, especially with Cal Heeter and our draft pick Anthony Stolarz in the picture this coming season. I'm sure it will be a couple of years before we see Stolarz in a Flyer jersey though.
So, you're counting on an undrafted free agent goalie in Heeter (who hasn't even faced a shot at any professional level) and a 2nd round draft pick who didn't play in a major junior league to be the Flyers future goalie?

The odds are against 1 of them making it to the Flyers, let alone both. It is highly unlikely that either of those 2 will have any impact on Bryz' future with the Flyers.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:42 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

This absurd proposal needs to go into the garbage disposal....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:18 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
So, you're counting on an undrafted free agent goalie in Heeter (who hasn't even faced a shot at any professional level) and a 2nd round draft pick who didn't play in a major junior league to be the Flyers future goalie?

The odds are against 1 of them making it to the Flyers, let alone both. It is highly unlikely that either of those 2 will have any impact on Bryz' future with the Flyers.
There has been many goalies that have come from the minors and played at the NHL level ie. Tuuku Rask. How do you really know unless these players are given a chance and Heeter would be in a back up role. Cam Ward also stole the starter from Gerber in Carolina after being one year in the minors...it can happen. I did say that it will be a couple of years before we see the likes of Stolarz.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:38 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Buy out Bryz and trade for Luongo? going from a 9yr 51mil contract to a 12yr 64mil contract? That's crazy! for a bunch of 33 yr old goalies that both suck in the playoffs.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:49 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
There has been many goalies that have come from the minors and played at the NHL level ie. Tuuku Rask. How do you really know unless these players are given a chance and Heeter would be in a back up role. Cam Ward also stole the starter from Gerber in Carolina after being one year in the minors...it can happen. I did say that it will be a couple of years before we see the likes of Stolarz.
Yes, it can happen, but the odds are against both developing. It sounds like you are ready to give Heeter a shot at the NHL. Let's see him play in the echl first, which is where he should start this season. Stolarz has a long way to go before he even plays in a single professional game.

Why are you talking about what may happen in 2+ seasons when we don't even have a backup signed for next season yet?

Btw, Ward was a 1st round draft pick that played in the Ahl during the lockout, so it's not as if he wasn't playing against some NHL talent that season, in which he excelled. Rask was also a 1st round pick that played 3 seasons in Europe before playing 2 full seasons in the AHL. Neither Heeter nor Stolarz have even played in the ahl yet you are talking about one or both replacing Bryz.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 06-27-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old
06-27-2012, 02:51 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Yes, it can happen, but the odds are against both developing. It sounds like you are ready to give Heeter a shot at the NHL. Let's see him play in the echl first, which is where he should start this season. Stolarz has a long way to go before he even plays in a single professional game.

Why are you talking about what may happen in 2+ seasons when we don't even have a backup signed for next season yet?
I did mention putting in Heeter as backup for this year. Read much?

Old
06-27-2012, 02:59 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
I did mention putting in Heeter as backup for this year. Read much?
So you are proposing that an undrafted free agent that hasn't faced a single puck professionally should back up Bryz this year?

To take a quote from My Cousin Vinny, "You were serious about that?"

Old
06-27-2012, 03:20 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
So you are proposing that an undrafted free agent that hasn't faced a single puck professionally should back up Bryz this year?

To take a quote from My Cousin Vinny, "You were serious about that?"
Who else is available in NHL for the taking? Some aging Vet that's in a backup role for high dollars? The only feasible thing to do might be to put Leighton in as backup this year and have Cal play the minors for another year. Heeter is 24 years old and has the maturity to fit in as well as Hovinen who is also 24 years old. These guys aren't 19 year old players with no experience, granted they have yet to play in the NHL but without playing them in the NHL how will you know?

Old
06-27-2012, 03:24 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Who else is available in NHL for the taking? Some aging Vet that's in a backup role for high dollars? The only feasible thing to do might be to put Leighton in as backup this year and have Cal play the minors for another year. Heeter is 24 years old and has the maturity to fit in as well as Hovinen who is also 24 years old. These guys aren't 19 year old players with no experience, granted they have yet to play in the NHL but without playing them in the NHL how will you know?
Clemmenson, Boucher, Biron - all would sign for close to nothing. Trading for a cheap backup goalie isn't difficult either. All are infinitely better options then someone who has never stopped a professional puck. If he does a Patrick Roy impression in the AHL, you can re-evaluate - the odds are against that in a MAJOR way.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:27 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
Clemmenson, Boucher, Biron - all would sign for close to nothing. Trading for a cheap backup goalie isn't difficult either. All are infinitely better options then someone who has never stopped a professional puck. If he does a Patrick Roy impression in the AHL, you can re-evaluate - the odds are against that in a MAJOR way.
Didn't the Flyers go down that road before with Boucher and Biron? Boucher is very injury prone and aging, Biron played good backup but I don't see the Rangers giving him away.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:33 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
I posted a list in the backup thread and there's a pretty high supply with not much demand. Just look at the contract that Vokoun signed.

Maturity is nice, but not nearly enough to give either a chance at backing up Bryz this season. I'd like to see hovinen get a lot of games at the ahl level on a north American rink instead of playing every 3rd or 4th game at the NHL level. As for heeter, if he turns into a reliable ahl goalie that would be quite a feat for a 24 year old undrafted free agent goalie. Expecting heeter is be an NHL goalie at any point, let alone in his rookie season, is unrealistic.

There is nothing feasible about re-signing Leighton.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:51 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Didn't the Flyers go down that road before with Boucher and Biron? Boucher is very injury prone and aging, Biron played good backup but I don't see the Rangers giving him away.
They're guys who can step in and sporadically play 20 times and give you a professional effort - that's all they need to do and isn't a role a young kid is going to thrive with. Kids like Heeter and Hovinen need regular work to improve.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:41 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

i feel bad for luongo. that dude was on the cusp of making or breaking his career and couldn't get that last win. wow. it ruined his rep forever. you could see the stress in his eyes during interviews and when he would go for walks with his iPod before games he was a wreck. he knew and he put so much insane pressure on himself. its such an intangible thing to be able to deal with that and excel when your on that level at that stage of the year. thats why sports are so great. i can see us being there soon and bryzgalov being in that same situation. that make or break situation in the final. i pray he's more relaxed at that point when it happens. most people disagree but thats where i think he'll surprise. nobody thinks he is even remotely capable of getting it done but i really do believe he will.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:50 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Murph, not sure this was a good proposal.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Neglia96*

Bryz needs another year before everyone starts jumping down his throat and exiling him. See what he can do in the playoffs fully healthy. Could clearly see last year his ankle or whatever it was became an issue. Pitt ripped him apart on onetimers. I wait it out.

Neglia96* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:01 PM
clodejirew

Yea... holmgren is just going to buy out bryz's HUGE contract one year after signing him to it and then he's going to overpay for somebody with an even bigger contract who never plays well in the playoffs.... why is this thread still up?

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:20 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

First of all, I'd like to congratulate the OP for coming up with the most ridiculous trade proposal not involving the Leafs I've read on this board.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:11 PM
SheasRebellion6

Don't want Luongo and a buy out for bryz never going to happen. He has a year to rebound and if he doesn't trade him to a team that needs to be above the league minimum. We can sign a ufa goalie in 2013.

Biron for Backup 2012-13

SheasRebellion6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:40 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

How the great have fallen.

Early last season you all would have **** your pants to get this deal done.

Edit: Also, I love all the hate @Bryz. He is a top 10 NHL goalie, he was adjusting to a new team and a new larger market city. He will be fine next year. The contract is a bit high, but that's what happens in free agency. You all wanted a goalie and we got one now.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:13 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPRichardsCarter View Post
How the great have fallen.

Early last season you all would have **** your pants to get this deal done.

Edit: Also, I love all the hate @Bryz. He is a top 10 NHL goalie, he was adjusting to a new team and a new larger market city. He will be fine next year. The contract is a bit high, but that's what happens in free agency. You all wanted a goalie and we got one now.
I won't speak for "all", but I would not have been included in that "all".

Old
06-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Yeah. I wanted no part of bryz because it was clear his contract would be nuts, and we had Bob

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote