HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Varied group of Detroit Red Wings prospects land HF prospect awards

Old
06-27-2012, 01:15 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Varied group of Detroit Red Wings prospects land HF prospect awards

Stocked and ready with skilled players, the Detroit Red Wings continue to supply Joe Louis Arena with world-class skill on a nightly basis. With a number of prospects set to make the transition from either the junior game to the pro game or the AHL to the NHL, the inaugural edition of the HF Prospect Awards is ripe with noteworthy names.

Hardest Worker: Gustav Nyquist, RW/LW, Grand Rapids Griffins (AHL)

Like most teams, the Red Wings aren’t short on hard workers. The industrious nature of a forward is made all the more special when he has the skill level that Gustav Nyquist does, however.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:03 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

I'm really hoping Jurco becomes more reward than risk.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:05 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Surprised Tvrdon didn't get any love even a consideration after saying the others they considered. He was the leading rookie scorer in the WHL and actually had more points than any Red Wings prospect this season. Although Jurco finished 6 back in 12 less games.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Surprised Tvrdon didn't get any love even a consideration after saying the others they considered. He was the leading rookie scorer in the WHL and actually had more points than any Red Wings prospect this season. Although Jurco finished 6 back in 12 less games.
Considered fitting him in this artcile as well, certainly, couldn't find a great spot for him...

Left on the editing room floor: "I drafted Tvrdon in my fantasy league last year and... so far so good." - frowned upon.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:05 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Considered fitting him in this artcile as well, certainly, couldn't find a great spot for him...

Left on the editing room floor: "I drafted Tvrdon in my fantasy league last year and... so far so good." - frowned upon.
I will admit I have latched onto his potential in a big way. Was just surprised he is over a point a game player in his WHL career after an impressive start the season before injury. He could have had a more consistent playoff run likely putting him ahead on the lists. Curious as it is debated around here a lot do you have Ouellet ahead of Sproul it seemed that way in the write up?

Tvrdon and Jensen are a couple of my favorites though always enjoy when something is wrote up about them. Also think Quine might be faster in terms of skating than Ferraro, Jensen enters that discussion as well. Although they all probably lose to AA next year when this discussion is had with him in the system now.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I will admit I have latched onto his potential in a big way. Was just surprised he is over a point a game player in his WHL career after an impressive start the season before injury. He could have had a more consistent playoff run likely putting him ahead on the lists. Curious as it is debated around here a lot do you have Ouellet ahead of Sproul it seemed that way in the write up?

Tvrdon and Jensen are a couple of my favorites though always enjoy when something is wrote up about them. Also think Quine might be faster in terms of skating than Ferraro, Jensen enters that discussion as well. Although they all probably lose to AA next year when this discussion is had with him in the system now.
I'll be honest, I'm not Detroit's writer, I'm Dallas'...so I haven't been engulfed in Detroit's system for years like I have with Dallas'. I think you guys just don't have a writer right now so I picked up the articles and tried to familiarize myself with your prospects a little more deeply as quickly as I could. It's difficult to say who is underrated/overrated, underachieving/overachieving given that I only had good knowledge of your bigger-named prospects...I did some research and a little chit-chatting with some people more familiar with some of these guys and put it together.

With that disclaimer out of the way, having seen both Sproul and Ouellet in the last little bit and trying to match up their different styles from different leagues and go head to head with them...I'd take Ouellet, personally. That's just me though. I think there are more Sproul's in the world and junior hockey than Ouellet's...XO looks like he's in control out there all the time. As a coach myself, he's one of those guys that you can put out there and think, "ok, nothing bad is gonna happen for the next minute..." It's a very important trait but kind of difficult to describe.

I thought Ferraro was faster than Quine, but until you get them side by side in a race, it's just a judgment call. Ferraro was one of the fastest players I've ever seen play in the WHL, so he won for me. Athanasiou is also very fast, and truth be told, is probably headed down a similar career trajectory as Ferraro (though AA is better offensively - more of a natural scorer, better hands). Can't say that I'm a big fan. Neither here nor there though.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:16 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Nyquist is gonna have a big year this coming season. He reminds me of Zetterberg because he is so small so he has to work extra hard to get the results he wants. I really hope he goes to the weight room this offseason though. Thats the only thing he needs to do before he is completely NHL ready

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Frk It
#snipequist

If I were to give awards I would go:

Hardest Worker: Gustav Nyquist
HM: Tomas tatar

Hardest Shot: Ryan Sproul
HM: Teemu Pulkkinen

Best Defensive Prospect: Brendan Smith
HM: Xavier Ouellet

Fastest Skater: Nick Jensen
HM: Landon Ferraro

Prospect of the Year: Calle Jarnkrok
HM: Tomas Jurco

Breakout Player for 2012-2013: Tomas Tatar (though I want to go out on a limb and say Riley Sheahan)

Most Improved Prospect: Xavier Ouellet
HM: Ryan Sproul, Louis-Marc Aubry, Joakim Andersson (tough one to call)

Overachiever: not really sure? maybe Jurco because of the team he plays on? I guess maybe Quine? tough to say.

Underachiever: Teemu Pulkkinen and Tomas Tatar. Would have liked to see them put up more points this year, but oh well.

Highest Risk/Reward Prospect: definitely has to be Pulkkinen in my opinion.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote