HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Justin Schultz Discussion Part III (MOD WARNING #482)

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 04:16 PM
pullyoursocksup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
Well, the Canucks have technically been contenders for the last couple years, and I don't think that Schultz is the guy that if you get him, he'll get you there.

And what 22 year old single guy wants to be near his parents? They wanna be living it up with their best friend
this just reeks of wishful thinking haha

Old
06-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Gberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
the Staal incident implies the importance of family - Schultz's lives in BC
There's a difference between playing near where your family lives, and playing with your bro who is also in the NHL....

Old
06-27-2012, 04:17 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Staal not being in Pitt was about two things: Playing time and playing with one of his brothers. It wasn't just one or the other. Money would not have been an issue for Staal. He was going to get paid. Carolina is also closer to competing than some people think. Adding another vet on defense and an impact forward to go with the Staals and Skinner. they aren't that far off. Schultz will want to play in the NHL. The teams interested provide that facet.

It will be determined by chance of winning/amount of playing time and the line he wants to toe between them. A team that will provide him top pairing minutes will not be a contender this season. If he plays 4th/5th D minutes, he's more likely to be on a contending team. It's all about how much he wants to play and if contending initially is important to him.

Ironically, I find the team people are looking as the most likely suitor as the worst of both cases. Toronto doesn't provide the same amount of icetime Edmonton will and even though they are in a more ready position to compete, they are still years away from being a good team. The Rangers/Canucks/Flyers/Wings provide a greater chance to win with not as much ice time as Toronto, but most likely a lot of good experience in the playoffs.

I don't see Toronto as a good fit besides the Gardiner factor. That's about it. The whole Burke and Carlylse stance is BS IMO. They aren't nearly as big of a factor as people are making it out to be. He'll go to what he is looking for the most.

Edmonton for playing time. Rangers/Canucks for title aspirations. Philly and Detroit are less likely, but in there.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:20 PM
ronnyweed

debating who the contenders are/are not with any certainty in late june in regards to next season is pretty pointless

hope he joins the oilers

Old
06-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Mowerman

Seeing the success of his best friend in Toronto has to bode well, especially now that there is a clear spot for the taking, likely beside the aforementioned best friend. Toronto certainly has one of the best shots at him.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:23 PM
kthsn

Quote:
And what 22 year old single guy wants to be near his parents? They wanna be living it up with their best friend
He won't be living near his parents.

The distance from Vancouver to his parents is like Toronto to Detroit.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:23 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Well, the Canucks have technically been contenders for the last couple years, and I don't think that Schultz is the guy that if you get him, he'll get you there.

It sounds like you're making up your own prerequisites for him. I could just as easily say what 22 year old guy goes to a team just because his friend is there. If he wants to play for a contender then I doubt that he considers the Leafs. There are lots of factors that could be at play. You can make a case for a number of different teams.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Shorthander

The amount of speculation (and ridiculous attempts at rationalizing it) going on over this guy is hilarious.

My favorite comes from the Oiler fans though. "He wants to play here with all of our promising young prospects!!" I guess with that logic, he also wants to play for the Islanders or Panthers too. If he wouldn't sign with the Ducks, why would he sign with a perennial last place team?

Old
06-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Mowerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Staal not being in Pitt was about two things: Playing time and playing with one of his brothers. It wasn't just one or the other. Money would not have been an issue for Staal. He was going to get paid. Carolina is also closer to competing than some people think. Adding another vet on defense and an impact forward to go with the Staals and Skinner. they aren't that far off. Schultz will want to play in the NHL. The teams interested provide that facet.

It will be determined by chance of winning/amount of playing time and the line he wants to toe between them. A team that will provide him top pairing minutes will not be a contender this season. If he plays 4th/5th D minutes, he's more likely to be on a contending team. It's all about how much he wants to play and if contending initially is important to him.

Ironically, I find the team people are looking as the most likely suitor as the worst of both cases. Toronto doesn't provide the same amount of icetime Edmonton will and even though they are in a more ready position to compete, they are still years away from being a good team. The Rangers/Canucks/Flyers/Wings provide a greater chance to win with not as much ice time as Toronto, but most likely a lot of good experience in the playoffs.

I don't see Toronto as a good fit besides the Gardiner factor. That's about it. The whole Burke and Carlylse stance is BS IMO. They aren't nearly as big of a factor as people are making it out to be. He'll go to what he is looking for the most.

Edmonton for playing time. Rangers/Canucks for title aspirations. Philly and Detroit are less likely, but in there.
Look at the TOI Gardiner was getting. Schultz could easily earn those kind of minutes, Gardiner's experience last year has set a pretty reasonable precedent for that. Edmonton is not a very attractive place to live, and you admit that Toronto is in a better position to compete. What you've said about ice time is, really, just untrue. Especially with Schenn being moved, that opens up a spot on the right side.

So, removing the inaccurate aspects of your post, that would make Toronto the ideal place for Schultz to sign if he wants to be on a reasonably competitive team and get ice time if he can play up to his billing, especially considering the Gardiner factor.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Tont

vCash: 366
He will sign with the Flames and everyone will **** all over it.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:33 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:

If Schultz is the kind of guy who would pick a team based on where the best parties are, Toronto can keep him.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:33 PM
ExOilerFan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorthander View Post
The amount of speculation (and ridiculous attempts at rationalizing it) going on over this guy is hilarious.

My favorite comes from the Oiler fans though. "He wants to play here with all of our promising young prospects!!" I guess with that logic, he also wants to play for the Islanders or Panthers too. If he wouldn't sign with the Ducks, why would he sign with a perennial last place team?
1. he won't be pushed down the depth chart.
2. He will most likely get time on the first PP with the young guns
3. Close in age to the core of the team
4. Apparently he said that his favorite place to visit is Edmonton (I have no idea why) haha
5. He wants to play for a western Canadian team

Old
06-27-2012, 04:34 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontalLombardomy View Post
Look at the TOI Gardiner was getting. Schultz could easily earn those kind of minutes, Gardiner's experience last year has set a pretty reasonable precedent for that. Edmonton is not a very attractive place to live, and you admit that Toronto is in a better position to compete. What you've said about ice time is, really, just untrue. Especially with Schenn being moved, that opens up a spot on the right side.

So, removing the inaccurate aspects of your post, that would make Toronto the ideal place for Schultz to sign if he wants to be on a reasonably competitive team and get ice time if he can play up to his billing, especially considering the Gardiner factor.
Sorry, I thought you were arguing for Toronto until I saw the bolded. What if he asks who your goalies are next year?
The reality is that none of us know where he will sign. The only thing I will say is that Vancouver was never a choice of free agents until we started to ice a very competitive team. There seems to me to be some correlation between having a good team and attracting talent. Lord knows that during the long lean years we couldn't get a free agent anywhere near our club. We'll see what happens.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:34 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontalLombardomy View Post

How competitive is missing the playoffs for 7 straight years?

If that is reasonable to you, I really don't know what to say.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:36 PM
frankthetank91

Excited for this. We won't be getting Suter/Parise so this is what i'm interested in.

Come on Justin! You and your best friend Jake will be a defensive pairing getting PP time in the biggest hockey city in the world.

You have a better chance to win with Van but for a shorter amount of time, their window is closing and ours hasn't opened yet.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:38 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Excited for this. We won't be getting Suter/Parise so this is what i'm interested in.

Come on Justin! You and your best friend Jake will be a defensive pairing getting PP time in the biggest hockey city in the world.

You have a better chance to win with Van but for a shorter amount of time, their window is closing and ours hasn't opened yet.
On that we can all agree!

Old
06-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Declassified

why is everyone falling all over this guy?

Old
06-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Shorthander

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
And shows zero signs of opening anytime in the future

Old
06-27-2012, 04:43 PM
EarlGrey

I'd be laughing so hard if Brian Burke signed Justin Schultz and traded him right away to Anaheim as a favour to his old chum Bob Murray lol

Old
06-27-2012, 04:44 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
why is everyone falling all over this guy?
I know. No wonder the kid's ego is big enough to do what he's doing. Nevermind the fans' excitement, NHL GM's are lining up like kids at an ice cream truck for his services.

Bend over a little more, why don'tcha?

Old
06-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Honestly after watching his videos which I admit not the best source of scouting report lol, but I would love the guy to chose Leafs cause his shot is lethal and he will help our pp greatly. However other then his shot and pp presence, I think his a fine player but I think his over hyped a bit here. Maybe I am undervaluing him who knows, but I didn't see him being that dynamic overall and the pace of college and nhl is huge.

How is his skating for those that have watched him, how would it compare to Gardiners? If his skating is really great and has speed, then I could see him making an impact.

Old
MISC*
Negged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
I'd be laughing so hard if Brian Burke signed Justin Schultz and traded him right away to Anaheim as a favour to his old chum Bob Murray lol
That would honestly be so amazing.

Old
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

This has probably been asked a thousand times, but why wasn't he able to sign with Anaheim?

Old
06-27-2012, 04:47 PM
MildlyAwesome
Rational Leaf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
This has probably been asked a thousand times, but why wasn't he able to sign with Anaheim?
He was able to. He chose not to. He exercised his right (as their is some rule in the CBA that allows for this similar to what Blake Wheeler did) to become a free agent.

He chose not to sign with Anaheim presumably (although we can't say for certain) to play in a more desirable place of his choosing.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:48 PM
EarlGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
He felt the Ducks were beneath him

Closed Thread