HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2012, 04:18 PM
gleanerguy

vCash: 500
Brett Stamler, who joined Las Vegas after Harty joined Kalamazoo, has played three post season games with the Wranglers. Suspect that, rightly or wrongly, Harty's three fights in the last two regular season games may indicate they see him mainly as a fighter and don't see that fitting in a playoff run.

Old
04-15-2012, 07:25 AM
AUS Fan

I didn't realize that he had three fights. And I should have looked up Stamler.

That's why you write and I read.

Old
04-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Island Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Brett Stamler, who joined Las Vegas after Harty joined Kalamazoo, has played three post season games with the Wranglers. Suspect that, rightly or wrongly, Harty's three fights in the last two regular season games may indicate they see him mainly as a fighter and don't see that fitting in a playoff run.
Hope Kalamazzoo doesn't look to that NHL gong show then; I think it's sinful if that is the case, get out of it kid, no way to make a living.

Old
04-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Rob

Anyone hear anything about possible exhibition games next season? Are they going to travel out west again or maybe hold another fall classic?

I'm pretty sure they said that another NCAA team will be coming up.

Old
04-22-2012, 05:14 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I know it would probably be costly but it would be pretty cool to see them play teams from the CCHA or WCHA ever handful of years.

Also, for as much as teams like UQTR and McGill come down here to play I wonder if there has ever been talk of UNB returning the favour and going up there to play some games.

As much as I like seeing them bring in out of conference teams to play I would like to see how they make out playing some of these different teams on the road. When is the last time they played an OUA team on the road...the Brock or Lakehead tournaments in the mid-2000's?

Old
05-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I know it would probably be costly but it would be pretty cool to see them play teams from the CCHA or WCHA ever handful of years.
I wouldn't mind it either but there are enough strong teams in the East. No need to travel far.

Quote:

Also, for as much as teams like UQTR and McGill come down here to play I wonder if there has ever been talk of UNB returning the favour and going up there to play some games.

As much as I like seeing them bring in out of conference teams to play I would like to see how they make out playing some of these different teams on the road. When is the last time they played an OUA team on the road...the Brock or Lakehead tournaments in the mid-2000's?
I agree. I would love to go to Montreal or Ottawa for a hockey road trip this fall.
I think a lot of it has to do with having their expenses paid for. Not all teams would be willing to do that.

Old
05-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Road Trip

I don't know if Coach is too worried about expenses, but a few bucks would be nice. In most cases, teams don't want to play UNB in the pre-season because there isn't much 'up side' to being blown away.

That said - I'd love a four game week in Montreal and Ottawa (McGill, Concordia, Ottawa and Carleton - maybe even Nippissing on neutral ice).

I know Coach has been trying to get out West to play North D., Min, Min-Duluth or Colorado College and possibly tie-in a game with UMAN at the same time. He said they never return his calls - probabaly did a google search on the team and think we're too tough for pre-season.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Archie Jones

Www.vredshockey.com

It's great to see the "Archives & Stats" updated to include the 2011-2012 season.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Jones View Post
It's great to see the "Archives & Stats" updated to include the 2011-2012 season.
Yup - moved the stats over a week ago when I got a copy of the official UCup stats.

Career totals are also updated

Leaders

Old
06-29-2012, 02:52 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

UNB Schedule

The AUS Site has published the 2012-13 schedule.

UNB opens the season at home vs STU - only the second time in almost 40 years that they have opened the season. The first time for UNB as host (UNB was the visitor in the first game - 97/98 Oct 15 (M. Kelly) UNB -8 vs STU -6)

This is followed by a home game vs UdeM - which is strange as they would have normally played that game on the road.

The next two(2) weekends are on the road in NS (SMU/X followed by ACD/DAL)

UNB's first game against STU in the GHC is Fri. Nov. 9th.

The season is a 16/12 split, so it's more of 3/5 - 2/5 split than a 50:50.

UNB is playing 2 games every weekend except for the last weekend where everyone (all 8 teams) are just playing on Friday (UNB hosts UdeM in that game). So, exhibition has to be done before Oct. 12th as there are no gaps in the schedule (other than Christmas).

UNB has only one(1) Wednesday game (hosting STU) between two road weekends (at X & SMU, then host STU, then visit PEI & UdeM) in mid January - not a good time to have a slump. I wonder if they will stay on the road or return home to turn around the next day?

So - getting off to a good start is important as there are 4pts for every team each weekend.

Old
06-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Brothers & Father and Sons

I was thinking of creating a web page for 'Brothers' and 'Father & Sons' of UNB hockey.

Here are is the list so far, let me know if I've missed anyone.

Thanks

Brothers
Naylor (Luke & Ted)
Zanutto (Chris & Mike)
Hegberg (Jason & Rob)
Watson (Calvin & Mark)
Werner (Kevin & Kyle)
Pearce (Rob & Steve)

not sure
Hubley (Frank & Gord) - 1971
Adams (Peter & Steve) - 1982
Cameron (Don & Charlier) - 1980's
Wood (George & Larry) - 1980's

Father & Sons

Madill (Herb & Lucas)
Naylor (Bob & Luke/Ted)

not sure
McLean (Paul & Dax)

Old
06-30-2012, 10:16 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post

UNB opens the season at home vs STU - only the second time in almost 40 years that they have opened the season. The first time for UNB as host (UNB was the visitor in the first game - 97/98 Oct 15 (M. Kelly) UNB -8 vs STU -6)

Why wouldn't STU host UNB on opening night in the GHC?? Or is that too logical for the AUS? Unless STU figures they get a good crowd for UNB games no matter when they are held and they should get a good crowd for their first home game (against Acadia I think)...so they are just trying to maximize revenue.

Old
06-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post

This is followed by a home game vs UdeM - which is strange as they would have normally played that game on the road.

The next two(2) weekends are on the road in NS (SMU/X followed by ACD/DAL)

The season is a 16/12 split, so it's more of 3/5 - 2/5 split than a 50:50.

UNB is playing 2 games every weekend except for the last weekend where everyone (all 8 teams) are just playing on Friday (UNB hosts UdeM in that game). So, exhibition has to be done before Oct. 12th as there are no gaps in the schedule (other than Christmas).

UNB has only one(1) Wednesday game (hosting STU) between two road weekends (at X & SMU, then host STU, then visit PEI & UdeM) in mid January - not a good time to have a slump. I wonder if they will stay on the road or return home to turn around the next day?

So - getting off to a good start is important as there are 4pts for every team each weekend.
Thanks for the update.

I wonder when the exhibition schedule will come out? I'm really curious to see who they will be playing over the Christmas break.

Old
06-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Polaris500*

george and larry wood ,✔ brothers

Last edited by Polaris500*: 07-01-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old
07-04-2012, 04:51 AM
STUTOMMIES

Maine will host Quinnipiac (20-14-6) from the ECAC Hockey League to open the season on Oct. 6 in Orono before entertaining the University of New Brunswick for an exhibition the next night.

UNB has won three of the last six Canadian Interuniversity Sport national championships and was a semifinalist last season.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/07/0...ckey-schedule/

Old
07-05-2012, 02:50 PM
STUTOMMIES

Edmonton dumps Hunter Tremblay, St. John's Ice Caps pick him up.
http://stjohnsicecaps.com/article/ic...l-contracts-2/

It was going to be almost impossible for Tremblay to catch on with the young Oilers. He may find his chance in the Winnipeg system.

Old
07-06-2012, 04:17 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

UNB has their 2012-2013 schedule up on athletics website...it looks like Carleton and UQTR will visit for the Fall Classic on September 20 and 23, respectively, which leads me to think there might be another team involved and there will be non-UNB games on the 21st and 22nd??

The V-Reds then travel to Montreal the next weekend to play McGill on the 28th and a TBA on the 29th. They go play Boston College on October 6th, but no mention of the Maine game.

So far there is nothing listed over Christmas, but I am sure that will change once things get finalized.

http://varsityreds.ca/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey

Old
07-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
UNB has their 2012-2013 schedule up on athletics website...it looks like Carleton and UQTR will visit for the Fall Classic on September 20 and 23, respectively, which leads me to think there might be another team involved and there will be non-UNB games on the 21st and 22nd??

The V-Reds then travel to Montreal the next weekend to play McGill on the 28th and a TBA on the 29th. They go play Boston College on October 6th, but no mention of the Maine game.

So far there is nothing listed over Christmas, but I am sure that will change once things get finalized.

http://varsityreds.ca/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey
I wonder if they will play Concordia or UQTR on the 29th? I could see them playing McGill twice in a row.

Note: The UofMaine website does have UNB playing down there on October 7.

Last edited by Rob: 07-07-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old
07-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Jordan Clendenning moves on

It was reported in the DG today that Jordan will not be back next year. He has signed with an expansion ECHL team.

That's too bad - he would have been one of the top picks for Captain.

Here is an interesting item - I found this youtube video of a fight between Jordan and Matt Fillier. Interesting that they ended up teammates the next season or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTg4qWT90AA

Old
07-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I wonder if they will play Concordia or UQTR on the 29th? I could see them playing McGill twice in a row.

Note: The UofMaine website does have UNB playing down there on October 7.
I hope they play Concordia - not sure playing McGill twice is really useful (not that Concordia is the toughest test).

USCHO is now listing the UNB/UMaine game at 7:00pm. Makes sense as it's a 4.5hr drive from Boston. A 4pm game would have meant a 9:00am departure - less of a rush now.

Old
07-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Archie Jones

If it's true about Jordan, I'm disappointed because I wanted him to finish his UNB career with a 100% healthy full season. Best of luck Jordan!

I still believe the player who has arguably been the team's most consistent forward the last two seasons as well as a top playoff scorer has shown great leadership already and would be a logical choice.

UNB does need to develop or find a forward with great faceoff skills and technique to replace Kyle Bailey.

Old
07-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Missed in the shuffle

Found this link on the AUS site of Gardiner receiving one of the Queen's Silver Jubilee awards back in June.

http://www.atlanticuniversitysport.c...p?news_id=1894

Old
07-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Home Page

I'm working on some Summer Updates to my site (as well as remove a virus I got through a backdoor)

I thought I would replace my home page with some pics of UNB stuff from a recent trip to the HHoF.

E.

www.vredshockey.com/

Old
07-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Game 2 in Montreal

This is the TBA game on UNB's schedule, strange that it hasn't been listed yet which makes me think Gardiner might be waiting on a bigger opportunity. A game against the Canadians Rookies? Just a though in the dark.

Concordia has nothing on their schedule for this weekend, so they maybe the backup plan.

Also free on the 29th are Carleton, Ottawa (on the road on the 30th vs RMC), RMC and possibly UQTR (their schedule is not up yet).

Not available - Queen's (on the road vs ACD and SMU), Nipissing (hosting UWO) and Ryerson (at York Tournament)

Old
07-30-2012, 04:19 AM
rantfather

It is why coaches should NOT ever coach their own sons (no objectivity ).
A worse example of this existed up the hill and a close examination of statistics would reveal a number of times that a first line STU PP was scored on by having the wrong personal on the ice time after time.

I feel.for any son put in this position and is a no win situation for everyone.

Closed Thread