Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We're screwed... maybe ;)

Old
04-10-2006, 08:40 AM
ceber

vCash: 500
We're screwed... maybe ;)

I'm typically a guy who doesn't like to read too much into innocuous statements, but this article leaves me with a bad feeling all over the place.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...ncities_hockey

Last edited by ceber: 04-10-2006 at 01:18 PM.
ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 09:45 AM
Wild Thing

Well, I certainly share your concern. But at the same time, it sounds like he really wants to stay if the Wild are willing to start adding some free agent talent. And frankly, if they don't do that, I don't have much hope for the team's future anyway. So I don't think it would matter whether Gaborik stays or goes, either way the team isn't going anywhere.

This summer is going to be the turning point for Risebrough. Either take the next step and buy at least one top-line center to feed Gaborik the puck, and maybe a goalscorer or two, or admit that either you're not really interested in building a solid team or that you don't know how. If you let Gaborik get away because you're too cheap to pay the going rate for players, how long do you think it's going to be before you start losing fans, too?

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 11:29 AM
MePutPuckInNet

yeah, I have a bad feeling about it also, and for two opposite reasons.

First of all, I question Gaborik's sense of reality. Has he really been as good as he thinks? Although he's a fantastic player, I've got to question his view of himself. He may want to do more and want more responsibility and want more ice time, but in my opinion - he's shown himself to be far too inconsistent when he has been given more rope by JL.

However, I can certainly sympathize with him as far as wanting an upgrade in teammates. But, I think Lemaire should pick up some of the fault and blame that is lying at his feet. I think he's been more of a hindrance to the entire team than he has been a benefit. I know most people would argue, and if that's your opinion, then so be it.

Anyway I think that Gaborik isn't the only player on the team who feels like some big changes are in order.

So, IF it came right down to it, who goes? Gaborik or Lemaire?

For me, without a nano-second's worth of hesitation, it would be Lemaire.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 11:49 AM
ceber

An earlier article talked about Lemaire and the option the team has on his contract for next season. Jacques sounds like he wants to come back, but he also wants some more tools to work with. He specifically mentions wanting a legitimate #1 center. That article left me with a sense of hope. This one does too, but there are parts of it that worry me. The TV ads the team has been running are a little like that, too. I think they're overstressing the "no one player" thing a little bit too much for my comfort. Sometimes I worry that Risebrough's not just going to drive away top players, but our coaches as well.

Oh, and I agree about Gaborik possibly running a little high on himself. Great season, overall, but IMO he's not done learning, that's for sure.

Old
04-10-2006, 11:58 AM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:

"It's not wise for a team to build around 'a' player," Risebrough said. "Not in a team game like ours will 'a' player make a difference."
He doesn't look like he is going to build around his star player. Are the Avs wrong in building around Sakic, Wings with Yzerman, Devlis with Broduer? Have they not won 8 cups in the last 10-12 years?

Man I feel for you guys. It doesn't look like that DR is willing to spend the bucks to keep Gaborik. What a player he is, too bad his talents are being wasted in Minny by management like that.

He would fit well on the Canucks if they could land him, nice replacment for Bertuzzi in skill set!

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 12:03 PM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks
It doesn't look like that DR is willing to spend the bucks to keep Gaborik.
He did give him the biggest contract ever for a kid his age, didn't he?

Don't get your hopes up about landing him just yet.

Old
04-10-2006, 12:04 PM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

Quote:
Man I feel for you guys. It doesn't look like that DR is willing to spend the bucks to keep Gaborik. What a player he is, too bad his talents are being wasted in Minny by management like that.

He would fit well on the Canucks if they could land him, nice replacment for Bertuzzi in skill set!

Not going to happen, sorry. DR knows that if he doesn't sign some players and re-sign Gabby, there will be a mass exdous of season ticket holders, and you could kiss that sell out streak goodbye.

DR will get him signed....

NyCoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 12:07 PM
ceber

I'm really hoping the

"It's not wise for a team to build around 'a' player," Risebrough said. "Not in a team game like ours will 'a' player make a difference."

quote is missing some context somehow. I mean... c'mon. It's silly, isn't it? I could see if he meant something like "you can't spend all your money on one player." That makes sense to me.. after all, you need to fill your roster.

Old
04-10-2006, 12:11 PM
CrazyCanucks

It's not just signing Gabby that DR has to worry about. He needs to lure some free agnets, or trades so the team can improve

I would say he is about a 4.5-5million/year player. He is in the same catagory as Heatly, as they are both due for raises

Old
04-10-2006, 12:16 PM
ceber

Quote:
He needs to lure some free agnets
Seems that money makes good bait, and we're rolling in that.

Old
04-10-2006, 12:23 PM
The Big E

One of the dangers of giving an inexperienced (i.e., young) but awesomely talented player too much playing time on a crappy team is he'll develop bad habits. The opposition will realize that the Wild's offense is centered around Gabbie and do whatever they can to shut him down ... this'll lead to scoring slumps. In a crappy year, he's averaged a point a game and hasn't had a scoring slump.

As for using Joe Sakic as an example, A 'Lindros' or 'Hershel Walker' type trade will do wonders for building a team ... how many future stars did the Nordiques get in exchange for Lindros? I think the real question is will DR splash the cash for a real #1 center, a genuine scoring threat. A 4th scoring threat (Rolston and Bouchard being the other two) wouldn't allow opponents to key on Gabbie. If he also adds a top-rank D-Man and two 2nd tier scorers, the Wild will likely make the play-offs.

I won't blame Gaborik too much if he leaves via free agency if we keep Dupuis, Chouinard and hope they can score next year. If DR fails to add UFAs to bolster our offense and defense, been nice knowing ya Gabbie. Who wants to play a perennial loser anyway?

As others have mentioned, this is the off-season that will say much about the future of the franchise.

The Big E

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 12:31 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
I'm really hoping the

quote is missing some context somehow. I mean... c'mon. It's silly, isn't it? I could see if he meant something like "you can't spend all your money on one player." That makes sense to me.. after all, you need to fill your roster.
Yep. That burns my toast. I mean,,,sure, no single player is more important to the team than "The Team". I'm all for that. And it's understandable not to want some "I-am-the-superstar-hear-me-roar" mentality on the team, either. But, I definitely think they take this way too far. I mean, a team has to build around something, right? Why must it be built around the coach's playing style, and not the talent of the players?

...and yeah, I realize the Wild lacks a certain amount of talent, I don't think there's any question about that...but, damn, you've got to start somewhere.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 01:01 PM
CrazyCanucks

Gabby is world class talent. He would be a better complete player if he had someone to play with, and a more offensive system.

Look at Naslund. He had played with the Pens in the 90's, but it didn't work out. Came here, the team built around Naslund, and since 98-99 till this year, he is the 3rd leading point getter behind only Jagr and Sakic.

I wish teams would stop holding back talented players. I want to see skill, and with him he is exciting.

Old
04-10-2006, 01:05 PM
wildslip

DR better come threw this year or everyone shud not go to the games next year how great would that be GAME 1 attendance 00000!!! ....
HAHA that would be a good wake up call to management...

wildslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 01:12 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
There's always the point where you let the kids develop together into a solid team, then bring in some good vets to compliment them. Where would Nashville be if they kept the 'build through the draft' mentality and didn't bring in Sullivan, Kariya, and to a lesser extent Markov? Dallas is another good example a few years back, they built up a strong team, then started bringing in the UFA's like Hull and Belfour, and won themselves a cup. I'd really question your management if they don't do anything in the offseason. Although as a Canucks fan it would be kind of nice, like we really need a 5th strong contender in the division

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Wild Bill

Just posturing...gearing up for the war of words this summer methinks.

If this gets too out of hand, I can only imagine the crappity+crap-crap+crap offers that will be filling this board. Might need a Gabby proposal sticky to keep it all shoveled aside...

Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Wild Bill

Quote:
I wish teams would stop holding back talented players. I want to see skill, and with him he is exciting.
Yeah, shame on the Wild for trying to win...

Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 05:44 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

I would imagine the pocket book will be opened up this summer...

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
He doesn't look like he is going to build around his star player. Are the Avs wrong in building around Sakic, Wings with Yzerman, Devlis with Broduer? Have they not won 8 cups in the last 10-12 years?

Well, the Avs did have a guy named Forsberg who played a pretty big role. The Wings have had tons of leaders as well. Not to take anything from Sakic and Yzerman, but those guys "led" some pretty stacked teams.

I think Riseborough is right in that you SHOULDN'T depend on a single player, otherwise you're one injury away from the crapper. However, if you develop good players, you SHOULD keep them, and add in the necessary elements to build a winner.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 10:34 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

If Minnesota loses Gaborik, I hope to God they end up like the North Stars or everyone in the office, Neagle down are fired.

Riser isn't the smartest GM...He isn't the worst GM but he's not a good GM.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Lake Harriet

Must do free agents

Riseborough has been slow to adjust to the new NHL. You cannot simply build with youth, because by the time it reaches its prime, you will be losing much of it to free agency. Case in point, Willie Mitchell. Possible case in point, Gaborik. The Wild are under the cap and should have bought Gabby someone to play with last summer.

Lake Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 11:59 PM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Harriet
Riseborough has been slow to adjust to the new NHL. You cannot simply build with youth, because by the time it reaches its prime, you will be losing much of it to free agency. Case in point, Willie Mitchell. Possible case in point, Gaborik. The Wild are under the cap and should have bought Gabby someone to play with last summer.
Good point. Hopefully Riser has realised it by now, and it was just a *transitional year* to the new NHL. I'm expecting much bigger things this summer, certainly bigger than Nazarov, Fergusson, Tjarnquist and White.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 02:35 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

^ Yeah, you would think they would learn. White wasn't bad, just injured.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote