HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The end of Mathieu Darche (turns down 2-way deal from Habs)

Old
06-27-2012, 06:12 PM
HABsurde

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I find it moronic how somebody can be a Habs fan and think that the team can improve without letting some players go. Especially plugs like this.

It's not thinking outside the box, it's really just thinking like someone who can think.
fanatics are usualy fans, not thinker.... And in MTL, with the media, a lot of people becomes more fanatics than anything else....

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:14 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
Poor Marc Bergevin.... the honeymoon will be officially over very soon.... or expect the Habs to make a strong run at Parenteau, Latendresse and Bouillon....

you'll see.....
Is this the french thing again ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:15 PM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanWhite53 View Post
Every one of your posts in this thread so far has ended with an idle threat, so on that note, I'm done acknowledging you.
your not from Montreal aren't you? you don't live the media in here... i do, am i wishing for a backlash of this decision? hell no, do i believe it may lead to one... definetly.... if you don't get that, there is nothing i can do for you....

Old
06-27-2012, 06:16 PM
The Doors

Wait why are people talking about Francois Bouillon? We're trying to avoid mediocrity and losing Darche is a big step! Let's not go backwards. I could see Bernier as a 4th line LW, though- or Lats on a discount price.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
I think you're wrong, they can stop complaining about the fact that there is not enough french canadian player on the team... Last year they had Cunneyworth to complain about which meant the player factor was not in full throttle but if we get less francophone, they will be back at it and if for a Darche, who is a francophone who sweats and bleeds bleu blanc rouge and you get and anglophone 13th forward whose not much better than he is.... it's going to turn ugly
I think you only base that on last year with the Cunneyworth situation. but I've never seen the media turning things ugly when there are less francos in the team.Yes the normal complain here and there, but not create a turmoil like last year with the coach.

Besides, the majority of the coaching staff is franco, not like before and I've heard Michel Bergeron, Denis Gauthier and Gilbert Delorme talk about the fact that now that the coaching staff is bilingual, the language issue should be put aside and it's now Bergevin's job to build the best possible roster, regardless of language.

There's no lack of francophones in this organization anymore, so there's no point to complain about that, unless they're trying to create a ****storm to sell papers, in which case, I'm sure Bergevin will not give a single **** about.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:18 PM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Is this the french thing again ?
Of course it is, what do you think.... do you believe on TSN Radio in Calgary, the departure of a 13 th forward, would be the headline on a sport show? Well on french radio in MTL, they can't shut up about the Darche thing....

Maybe...Maybe all this will be for nothing when after 2 weeks of FA, Darche sees he can get a one way deal anywhere and come back with the Habs on the propose two way contract.... nobody knows....

Old
06-27-2012, 06:18 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
If the team wants to be competitve then... well, they can't if they kept Darche. Good guy, I suppose, but he won't help the team succeed.
As if a 4th liner, 13th forward player could prevent the team from succeeding. Nevermind if that guy is Darche. COMPLETELY ridiculous. Which makes one wonder about the thought process behind this gem.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Not sure about this decision.

Darch would've made an ideal 13th (or 14th...) forward, and he certainly makes more sense than, say, Ryan White, to play on the 2nd line in a pinch.

And I'd really rather have Darche watching 60% of the games from the pressbox than, let's say... Ryan White.

I get the point of letting him go - but they better have a good solution for that spare forward spot. Probably means some prospect (or suspect, if Aaron Palushaj) will end up being shuffled from Hamilton to Montreal. That, and only that, would have meant that Darche's signing would have made sense.

On the other hand, no use keeping a 37 year old player to be a backliner. Actually, I think they would have kept Darche, but there's no point for him to accept a 2-way deal at this very point of the year.

And dumping Darche makes no sense if it means signing Parenteau at a 5.5M deal for 5 years.

I don't think we seen the best offensively from White yet, the guy does got hands ,he was almost point per game in jr(235 pt in 275 games), i like habs to get tougher guy's to take that off of White, and let him focus more on pucking the net .

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:19 PM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
Quote:
your not from Montreal aren't you? you don't live the media in here... i do, am i wishing for a backlash of this decision? hell no, do i believe it may lead to one... definetly.... if you don't get that, there is nothing i can do for you....
I do get it 100%. I got it 100% when my 62 year old mother had a french guy with a picket sign get up in her face aggressively because she didn't speak french and didn't want a little fleur-de-lis flag. So don't pretend to know me alright!!?

My problem with you is that for 8-9 posts you've threatened that it WILL happen, never once saying that its a BAD thing. You're shining a spotlight on it, which is exactly what it DOESN'T need more of!!!!!

TwineSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Honestly, for the services and the guy that he was, I would have preferred the Habs to NOT offer him anything. A 2-way contract at this point is just borderline an insult. The guy had given is all and has also worked as a spokeperson for this team with the past organization diluting the Quebecers from the team, Darche didn't solely had to play hockey. He had to face the media that most of his teamates didn't have to while hiding in the shower.

For those reasons, everybody might acknowledge that it's time to part ways. But do so and be accountable for doing it. Don't pretend as if the ball was in Darche's camp. The guy lately just succeeded in getting 1-way after another. He clearly thinks he can have another, have him try the market, and if he wants to come back and you haven't finish your squad, then you'll offer him that 2-way and he'd like it way more than what they're doing right now.

Yes, it's a business and yadi-yada....yet, there has to be some kind of consideration even if you weren't the management in place when he gave this organization the best he could give you.

Hockeywise, I thought he'd be a great 13th forward. You do not use a rookie to play that role. You play a vet, who won't say much about playing or not. And you don't acquire a vet at the UFA market to sit him in the stands, pretty sure nobody will sign knowing it can be a possibility. So you know what Darche can give you, you know he can be a good mentor to the kids. So I would have offered a 1-way but with the idea to play that role. In no way, do I sign him and make him play in the 2nd line. But he would have had a place as the 13th forward. Though, again, hockeywise...it's not the end of the world. He would be JUST a 13th forward....He's not in my lineup of 12 'cause that's not what my 4th line has to look like.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:21 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Of course it is, what do you think.... do you believe on TSN Radio in Calgary, the departure of a 13 th forward, would be the headline on a sport show? Well on french radio in MTL, they can't shut up about the Darche thing....

Maybe...Maybe all this will be for nothing when after 2 weeks of FA, Darche sees he can get a one way deal anywhere and come back with the Habs on the propose two way contract.... nobody knows....
Mathieu Darche ? Seriously ? Am i missing something here ?

Old
06-27-2012, 06:23 PM
hockeyfan2k11

I don't blame him for turning down the offer. I'm glad he's gone. Good guy, hard worker, but I don't think there's a spot for him.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:24 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
I don't think we seen the best offensively from White yet, the guy does got hands ,he was almost point per game in jr(235 pt in 275 games), i like habs to get tougher guy's to take that off of White, and let him focus more on pucking the net .
I don't think so either -- the guy HAS hands.

The problem is : Ryan White will never have a great hockey sense and, thus, will have problems against top opponent players -- as we all witnessed last season.

That wasn't a problem with Darche. Not that he was great, but in a pinch, he could certainly do a commendable job.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:25 PM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I think you only base that on last year with the Cunneyworth situation. but I've never seen the media turning things ugly when there are less francos in the team.Yes the normal complain here and there, but not create a turmoil like last year with the coach.

Besides, the majority of the coaching staff is franco, not like before and I've heard Michel Bergeron, Denis Gauthier and Gilbert Delorme talk about the fact that now that the coaching staff is bilingual, the language issue should be put aside and it's now Bergevin's job to build the best possible roster, regardless of language.

There's no lack of francophones in this organization anymore, so there's no point to complain about that, unless they're trying to create a ****storm to sell papers, in which case, I'm sure Bergevin will not give a single **** about.
Yeah but they where use of Gainey and Gauthier not giving a crap about a francophone presence on the team.... Bergevin is the new man and that french factor was one of the questions ask in is introduction as GM, that is the difference about the level the turmoil can turn out to be...

Whatever Bergeron, Gauthier or Delorme says is what they say in May with a new GM and the season being over.... we'll talk about it in october shall we, i might be wrong, i don't deny that, but experience points me in that direction....

Some people, media or fans may think that there is a lack of francophone ON THE ICE with this organisation.... And if you think media could be taking lightly, the Cunneyworth situation last season was exactly that, a media storm and the Habs had to do a lot of damage control....

Hope your right, that i'm too pessimistic about the fans and media in Montreal.....

Old
06-27-2012, 06:25 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

Hockeywise, I thought he'd be a great 13th forward. You do not use a rookie to play that role. You play a vet, who won't say much about playing or not. And you don't acquire a vet at the UFA market to sit him in the stands, pretty sure nobody will sign knowing it can be a possibility. So you know what Darche can give you, you know he can be a good mentor to the kids. So I would have offered a 1-way but with the idea to play that role. In no way, do I sign him and make him play in the 2nd line. But he would have had a place as the 13th forward. Though, again, hockeywise...it's not the end of the world. He would be JUST a 13th forward....He's not in my lineup of 12 'cause that's not what my 4th line has to look like.
Basically my view on Darche.

I don't rule out the possibility that he could be back.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:26 PM
vokiel
Registered Settler

I don't understand why you would see giving a 2-way offer to a soon to be 36 years old player who has been a utility player all his career as a borderline insult. I think he would have fitted the player coach role perfectly. If he thinks he can get better then fine, but it's not an insult just to propose it. He is in his last mile in the league imho.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:26 PM
SeriousHabs

My guess is that the Darche haters are the same people who want Gaustad at 4M$ on the 4th line. Darche and his 700k$ salary were a perfect fit for the 4th line on most teams.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Takashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
I don't think we seen the best offensively from White yet, the guy does got hands he was almost point per game in jr(235 pt in 275 games), i like habs to get tougher guy's to take that off of White, and let him focus more on pucking the net .
Ryan White is a 4th liner. His main fonction is to intimidate opposent players and give energy to the team. Yes, a 4th liner that scores is good, but that's not why he's there for. So I don't understand why you would bring guys to take the goon off white, when that is his role.

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Honestly, for the services and the guy that he was, I would have preferred the Habs to NOT offer him anything. A 2-way contract at this point is just borderline an insult. The guy had given is all and has also worked as a spokeperson for this team with the past organization diluting the Quebecers from the team, Darche didn't solely had to play hockey. He had to face the media that most of his teamates didn't have to while hiding in the shower.

For those reasons, everybody might acknowledge that it's time to part ways. But do so and be accountable for doing it. Don't pretend as if the ball was in Darche's camp. The guy lately just succeeded in getting 1-way after another. He clearly thinks he can have another, have him try the market, and if he wants to come back and you haven't finish your squad, then you'll offer him that 2-way and he'd like it way more than what they're doing right now.

Yes, it's a business and yadi-yada....yet, there has to be some kind of consideration even if you weren't the management in place when he gave this organization the best he could give you.

Darche was a lucky man ....being quite honest here, you feel he plays 3 yrs in NHL if GM wasn't named Gauthier and coach Martin?

A one year deal? No way.

So many might argue he shouldn't have been given a one way to start with ,was there another GM out there that would have? I doubt it highly .

He had the thrill of his life, he should be thankful for what happened, and this management team really owe him nothing.

The work in the community spokeman for team etc, hundreds of traded or UFA players do the same, he is a GREAT person , an all star AHL hockey player....That is the truth .

The fact is he turned Habs down ,if he really loved Montreal he'd take it .

DARCHE TURNS DOWN CANADIENS OFFER; HEADED FOR FREE AGENCY

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399397

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:

Well what if White will be our 13th forward? Much younger and brings something concrete to the table. As for offensive output, I don't he'd have any problems matching Darche's numbers.

I get the whole thing about Darche being a good vet and he wont say much, but it's not like he brings an unique dimension to the roster, because players like him are everywhere in the NHL and AHL. Darche is 35, coming off a concussion, and he's slowing down each year.

That said, the guy gave his everything for the team these past couple of years, but let's not lie, the main reason why he was still part of this team was because of lack of depth. If Bergevin didn't wanna give him a cheap 1 way deal it must be for a reason, and I'm completely fine by it.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
I don't understand why you would see giving a 2-way offer to a soon to be 36 years old player who has been a utility player all his career as a borderline insult. I think he would have fitted the player coach role perfectly. If he thinks he can better then fine, but it's not an insult just to propose it. He is in his last mile in the league imho.
...I think the organization can afford giving 500K to a guy who mentors kids in the minors, don't you think?

They'll be paying much less comptent people for a much longer period of time.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:30 PM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanWhite53 View Post
I do get it 100%. I got it 100% when my 62 year old mother had a french guy with a picket sign get up in her face aggressively because she didn't speak french and didn't want a little fleur-de-lis flag. So don't pretend to know me alright!!?

My problem with you is that for 8-9 posts you've threatened that it WILL happen, never once saying that its a BAD thing. You're shining a spotlight on it, which is exactly what it DOESN'T need more of!!!!!
you want to pretend that it doesn't exist??? Fine, do the ostraches... i know better... no more about this... fine...

oh and by the way, it's fleur-de-lys....

Old
06-27-2012, 06:31 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
My guess is that the Darche haters are the same people who want Gaustad at 4M$ on the 4th line. Darche and his 700k$ salary were a perfect fit for the 4th line on most teams.
I guess we will see on July 1st...but i wouldn't put a huge wager on that one. Two way offers maybe.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:31 PM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Mathieu Darche ? Seriously ? Am i missing something here ?
you're seriously not.... but i'm stock with this at work.... AH.... now they will speak soccer.... a Darche break

Old
06-27-2012, 06:33 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
you're seriously not.... but i'm stock with this at work.... AH.... now they will speak soccer.... a Darche break
Haha, i hear what you mean !