HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Oskar Sundqvist | Center | Skellefteć (Jr.) | 3rd Round, 81st Overall

Old
06-27-2012, 06:35 PM
wej20

vCash: 500
I'm not sure sticking him into the AHL would be the best for him now anyway, he spent most of last year playing against under 18s.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:37 PM
rmartin65

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I'm not sure sticking him into the AHL would be the best for him now anyway, he spent most of last year playing against under 18s.
Yea, I admit it is not a great option. Just trying to think outside the box, if the J18 is not a great developmental league like deakka said.

rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:40 PM
deakka

Yeah, AHL is not a good option. But who knows. maybe he can fight for a spot with the big club in sweden. They were in the finals this year tho, so dont know how good the chances are that he can get s a spot is At least he will take a step up to the U20 instead of playing with the U18 i would guess.

deakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:40 PM
wej20

What's the difference between J18 Allsvenskan and J18 Elit?

Old
06-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Was he not selected in the CHL draft because he's not good enough to be among the 60 selected, or because he indicated ahead of time he had no intention of coming to North America to play junior?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:26 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Was he not selected in the CHL draft because he's not good enough to be among the 60 selected, or because he indicated ahead of time he had no intention of coming to North America to play junior?
No idea, I think he said he had a contract signed for next year though but I'm not sure. I have to imagine he was worth a pick though.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Black Label

Quote:
What's the difference between J18 Allsvenskan and J18 Elit?
J18 Allsvenskan is played during the winter with the 5 best teams from J18 Elit. It's hard to explain because there is no league like that in North America as far as I know. Euro Hockey.com does a pretty good job of explaining it:
Quote:
The teams start the season in J18 Elit. J18 Elit is played in 4 divisions, North, East, West and South. The 5 best teams in each qualify for J18 Allsvenskan.
The 6 best teams in each of the 2 divisions of J18 Allsvenskan qualify for the Swedish U18 Championship, So does the best team in each of the four continuing J18 Elit's.

Black Label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:55 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulgarTurtle View Post
J18 Allsvenskan is played during the winter with the 5 best teams from J18 Elit. It's hard to explain because there is no league like that in North America as far as I know. Euro Hockey.com does a pretty good job of explaining it:
Thanks, I thought it was something along those lines but it's nice to get conformation. A bit like the Champions League in Football?

Old
06-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Black Label

Quote:
Thanks, I thought it was something along those lines but it's nice to get conformation. A bit like the Champions League in Football?
Kind of, but does the Champions league split off and keep playing games? I actually just started watch soccer in the past couple weeks with the Euro 2012 so I'm not sure I can compare them very well.

Basically the best teams from J18 Elit get put into J18 Allsvenskan and then both leagues continue playing.

Technically J18 Allsvenskan is a higher league than J18 Elit, but at the same time J18 Allsvenskan is kind of part of J18 Elit. I'm probably not helping much with the confusion.

Black Label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:14 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulgarTurtle View Post
Kind of, but does the Champions league split off and keep playing games? I actually just started watch soccer in the past couple weeks with the Euro 2012 so I'm not sure I can compare them very well.

Basically the best teams from J18 Elit get put into J18 Allsvenskan and then both leagues continue playing.

Technically J18 Allsvenskan is a higher league than J18 Elit, but at the same time J18 Allsvenskan is kind of part of J18 Elit. I'm probably not helping much with the confusion.
I understand, in the Champions League teams keep playing in their domestic league as well as the Champions League.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Amateur Hour

Really loved everything I read about Sundqvist leading up to the draft and had him as one of my sleepers (disclaimer: I've never watched him play). The combination of his size, projectability (given he still needs to fill out his frame), snarl, and reputation as an already disciplined and defensively responsible center is very appealing. Sundqvist also has considerable offensive upside, as evidenced by his point totals with Skellefteć's J18 team this past season (53 in 39 GP, up from 35 in 38 GP the season before). Icing on the cake: His impressive playoff performance (10 points in 7 GP).

Profiles as the kind of prospect whose game is on the cusp of taking off -- wouldn't surprise me if he has a breakout season in 2012-2013 and even ends up cracking Skellefteć's Elitserien roster. Less than thrilled you guys selected him.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Every now and then we get a small reminder that Shero does know Europe exists and they play hockey over there too. Our one or two European scouts must have been super impressed with this kid.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:11 PM
SurMartin

Sundqvist will most likely spend the season in the J20-league. Skellefteć has by far the youngest squad in SEL atm (http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=22) and a lot of the youngsters still don't have a regular spot. That said, some of these guys might get loaned to teams in SEL-2/SEL-3 so there's still a chance he'll get called up for a couple of games.

I'm guessing that Oscar will play in J20 this year, maybe get a small taste of the SEL, then spend next season in the AHL.

SurMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:10 PM
romelson

Send a message via MSN to romelson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Sundqvist said, on NHL draft day, right after getting drafted, in an video interview posted by Hockeysverige.com, on youtube, that he intended to play next year in Sweden, however, he also said that he wanted to hear what Penguins staff thought first. I assume the consenus was that best option for Oskar was to keep playing in Sweden.

romelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:33 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by romelson View Post
Sundqvist said, on NHL draft day, right after getting drafted, in an video interview posted by Hockeysverige.com, on youtube, that he intended to play next year in Sweden, however, he also said that he wanted to hear what Penguins staff thought first. I assume the consenus was that best option for Oskar was to keep playing in Sweden.
At least he's listening to what the Pens think is best, instead of deciding that for himself.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Huh, that is a little disheartening to hear.

The only other alternative that I can think of is signing him, and putting him in the AHL. But that just seems like a waste of ELC time. Also, the baby Pens look pretty full on paper.
Actually, there is a lot of room on the Baby Penguins particularly for forwards. However, they are pretty young this season so in order to speed up the development of the team, they need to pick up some veterans to help the young guys along.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:58 AM
regard

Baby Pens (and our pipeline) could use some centers.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Baby Pens (and our pipeline) could use some centers.
I hear Erik Christensen is available.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote