HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part XI: Stempniak and Ponikarovsky, LOL Offseason Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 05:06 PM
smoneil

vCash: 500
To steer the convo in a bit of a different direction, what do the rest of you think about the possibility of trading something small for Robidas out of Dallas? Dallas fans seem to think that he'd be available for a song (pick/middling prospect). He IS older and sort of expensive, but he also played 22+ minutes a game last season. Here, he wouldn't have to play so many minutes, and he seems like a nice veteran RD to pair with Staal or MDZ. I think he makes something like 3mil per for two more seasons. 3rd rounder and someone like Bourque? Just kicking the tires here. I haven't seen much of Robidas since the 2009/10 season, but he was pretty damn good then. Maybe he can re-find that form with fewer minutes/responsibilities.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:14 PM
M Gaz
Who needs a captain?

The more I think about Doan in a Ranger uniform, the more I love the idea.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:15 PM
turcotte8

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Far from newsbreaking, but, good possibility the Capitals trade Alex Semin's rights.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:21 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Hagelin - Stepan - Gaborik
Kreider - Richards - Doan
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Moen - Konopka - Boyle
Rupp

McD - Girardi
Staal - Schultz
MDZ - Allen
Bickel

Lundqvist
Biron

Nice deep roster up and down while not breaking the bank, trading assets, or giving out long+term contracts. You could flip flop Callahan and Doan if you want. More of a 2a/2b lines then a second and third line.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:22 PM
BrianBoyle
↓ Perfection ↓

vCash: 300
Settle down, folks.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:23 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post

Far from newsbreaking, but, good possibility the Capitals trade Alex Semin's rights.
There is no reason why they shouldn't.
On the other hand, Semin would be a fool not to be wooed at every offer.

I am for overpaying Semin to get him. ....

but only for 1 repeat ONE year

This way if he's lazy, not a fit, whatever, no long term baggage.
He'll be more inclined to take more years,
but enough extra $$ for 1 yr and run at the cup and chance to rebuild his image for REALLY big payday might sell him to us.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:29 PM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixon's Lunchbox View Post
Yup. I think he'd fit well on the opposite side of Cally.

Kreider-Richards-Gabs
Doan-Step/AA-Cally
Hagelin-Step/AA-Dubi

I dig that top 9. Rangers don't necessarily need a sniper, they just need more goal support. In the playoffs it was pretty much a 1 line effort in goal scoring.
This x1000. Doan would be the PERFECT fit for the Rangers. We dont need an overhaul we need depth. Somebody who is a veteran leader and can pot 20-25 goals is EXACTLY what we lacked this past season.

I would offer Doan a 2 year deal in the 4-5 mil cap hit range.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:35 PM
M Gaz
Who needs a captain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Moen - Konopka - Boyle
Rupp

McD - Girardi
Staal - Schultz
MDZ - Allen
Bickel

Lundqvist
Biron
pretty good, except Richards is a top line C and Step is a 2nd line C, Cally should be 2nd line RW and Doan on the LW, Kreider on the top line, Hags 3rd line, and there's no point for Moen when we have Rupp lol

Old
06-27-2012, 05:41 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgaz728 View Post
pretty good, except Richards is a top line C and Step is a 2nd line C, Cally should be 2nd line RW and Doan on the LW, Kreider on the top line, Hags 3rd line, and there's no point for Moen when we have Rupp lol
I though Doan plays the right side predominantly?

Old
06-27-2012, 05:44 PM
smoneil

Quote:
I though Doan plays the right side predominantly?
He does. The only changes I'd make to your lineup would be to swap Richards and Stepan, and putt Rupp in (he's not going to be the spare forward, even if he deserves the press box).

Old
06-27-2012, 05:46 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
He does. The only changes I'd make to your lineup would be to swap Richards and Stepan, and putt Rupp in (he's not going to be the spare forward, even if he deserves the press box).
Fair enough. I just don't like Rupps game. Compliance buyout anyone? Haha

Old
06-27-2012, 05:52 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Fair enough. I just don't like Rupps game. Compliance buyout anyone? Haha
I don't hate Rupp, but I mostly agree that his usefulness is pretty low (especially since, sans Rupp, we'd easily be able to keep Prust).

Old
06-27-2012, 05:54 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
There is no reason why they shouldn't.
On the other hand, Semin would be a fool not to be wooed at every offer.

I am for overpaying Semin to get him. ....

but only for 1 repeat ONE year

This way if he's lazy, not a fit, whatever, no long term baggage.
He'll be more inclined to take more years,
but enough extra $$ for 1 yr and run at the cup and chance to rebuild his image for REALLY big payday might sell him to us.
I would be game. But I don't think there is a snowball's chance of Semin signing a 1-year deal, certainly not with us (maybe Detroit if he wants to play with Datsyuk). He, like 99% of UFAs, views this as a major opportunity to cash in.

There's no incentive. If things work out on the one year deal, we will re-sign him at basically the contract he could get now. If he takes the one year deal and it doesn't work out, his value is going to be hurt big time when he hits free agency again next year.

Some team is gonna give him 6-7 Mill for 5 years at least IMO. My prediction is a decently well off org who traditionally isn't a huge UFA player like the Wild.

06-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Yeah Semin is not going to agree to a 1 year deal. He wants cheddar. He is going to get it from somebody.

In other news, Wideman got a full NTC to go along with his insane contract.

Curious, when do you guys think we will hear about the Schultz stuff? Haven't heard a peep, and I want it over and done with.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Nickmo82

vCash: 50
I kind of like the idea of picking up Mueller cheap for a year and taking a chance on the guy. Yeah, he's made of glass, but look how well the Fleischman signing worked out in Florida this year.

Could be a high risk/semi-high reward way to get a bit of scoring depth.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
I don't hate Rupp, but I mostly agree that his usefulness is pretty low (especially since, sans Rupp, we'd easily be able to keep Prust).
No, sorry. Even without Rupp we wouldn't be signing Prust to a $2m+ contract. In fact, we could easily afford Prust at that price now. Just because we can doesn't mean we should.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:29 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
I like it.

Even if you were to switch up Stepan and Richards, any one of those top three lines could be the best line on any given night. Matchup nightmare for the opposition.

Even if you kept Prust, Boyle and Rupp as a 4th line, or signed a Konopka as an extra forward, or even let a kid play his way onto the team, you have some serious depth. Hell, we've seen that Torts isn't afraid of dropping a guy like Anisimov or Kreider down to the 4th line in certain situations. Makes for a good sense of competition.

Which brings up the thought: Kreider. Everyone seems to be penciling him into a top line role. And I understand why. The guy was sensational in the playoffs. No denying the effect he had on our team. And I'm sure that was just the tip of the iceberg. But let's also remember that he's got just 20 something NHL games under his belt, and has a long ways to go before he picks up on the defensive side and pace of the NHL. He will have growing pains! And there will be times when it may be best for him to be demoted to a lower line or possibly even sit on the bench for a little bit. We saw what happened to DZ in his second year after a very solid rookie showing (I understand it's a completely different situation and all that). Kreider came onto the scene and played a very instinctual, adrenaline-centered game. He will be going to his first professional training camp this fall. He has a lot to take in. And for some youngsters, that can be a little overwhelming. Although nothing about him or how he burst onto the scene so quickly suggests that he won't be a complete sponge. He's a bright and confident kid who's very developed physically for his age. That being said, let's just make sure we don't expect too much from him. He will make mistakes. How well can he learn from them is the question?

Old
06-27-2012, 06:32 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Whats with the weird thread title? The only part i understood was the LOL on wideman's contract?

Old
06-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
To steer the convo in a bit of a different direction, what do the rest of you think about the possibility of trading something small for Robidas out of Dallas? Dallas fans seem to think that he'd be available for a song (pick/middling prospect). He IS older and sort of expensive, but he also played 22+ minutes a game last season. Here, he wouldn't have to play so many minutes, and he seems like a nice veteran RD to pair with Staal or MDZ. I think he makes something like 3mil per for two more seasons. 3rd rounder and someone like Bourque? Just kicking the tires here. I haven't seen much of Robidas since the 2009/10 season, but he was pretty damn good then. Maybe he can re-find that form with fewer minutes/responsibilities.
As a backup plan I think it's an excellent idea. I always thought Robidas was an underrated defenseman. His last contract was a 4 year deal with a 3.3 cap hit. He's 35 years old. Even at 35 he might be the most physical Blueliner on the squad...if he was to come here. Plus...he's a Righty like you mentioned. I like the idea, what could it cost? A 2nd rounder? A prospect and a bottom 6 roster player?

Old
06-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Bad comparison with Messier. He should never be mentioned in the same breadth, but as a Canadian media darling that's what the majority of fans bought into. If you believe this post, we should have kept Avery.

Look, I'm not going to jump into the back and forth on the perception of Doan, I'm not looking for a babysitter... I was never a fan, but considering the team's needs for some scoring on the wings I would certainly send him a 1 or 2 year offer for market value. Outside of Kreider, we have no wings screaming to make this team. I'd like some winning experience brought in this summer, but he's far from a bad fall back.
So you say don't compare messier to Doan but you compare Doan to Avery? C'mon man.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
He was whining to the refs after Penner scored the OT goal in game 5. He started to badmouth Brown at the handshake line and layed a dirty hit on Brown and Lewis earlier in the series. I never got to watch Messier, but of course I'd like him since he was a Ranger. If he was with any other team, I would've despised him.
If that was whining when Brown did a knee on knee hit on Rozsival, then Torts is a big whiner too then. And fair enough about Messier.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:14 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Doan would be great, but he's 36 and this will likely be his last contract, so he's going to want the highest contract most likely.

What is the market likely going to be for him?

Old
06-27-2012, 07:22 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post

First Wideman, then Semin. Adam Oates letting McPhee know to send 'em packing.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I like Shane Doan a lot. Rugged forward, stands up for his boys. True leader. At a good price, would like to see the guy on Broadway. I'm sure he wants a shot at a cup before he hangs em up.

Couple things though have to be factored... Top 2 RW positions are already firmed up. If Doan comes here are you going to either
A) Bump your 2nd year captain to bottom 6?
B) Try him on the left wall, and if so has he ever playednthenleft side?

Lastly, Doan is a real holy roller. Writes Bible passages on his sticks before games. Religion is not a bad thing IMO, each mans faith is his own path to choose, but not everyone thinks like that. Some guys like to spread that through the room. It can unify, or it can divide. How does a small town guy like Doan fit on this club in the middle of the greatest city in the world? Guess that is the uncertainty.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:30 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Lastly, Doan is a real holy roller. Writes Bible passages on his sticks before games. Religion is not a bad thing IMO, each mans faith is his own path to choose, but not everyone thinks like that. Some guys like to spread that through the room. It can unify, or it can divide. How does a small town guy like Doan fit on this club in the middle of the greatest city in the world? Guess that is the uncertainty.
He can be roommates with Tebow and Lin

(this was meant as a joke and all in good fun)

Closed Thread