HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2012-2013 Season

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 07:25 PM
SCARFACE909

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
I would love to see them pay for Schultz.
They can only offer just as much any other team since it would be a ELC. He wants to play in Canada and want's to be top 4, who do you kick out?

Old
06-27-2012, 07:27 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by son of earl View Post
Carter is our Semin now. We don't get Carter I could see us going after him but the need is t as great now so no need to take the risk with him
Carter is being used on the RW though, Semin is a LW, just asking about entertaining grabbing him on a short-term deal.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARFACE909 View Post
Carter is being used on the RW though, Semin is a LW, just asking about entertaining grabbing him on a short-term deal.
No to Semin.

Not only will the salary be bad, but chemistry is important. All the bad apples have been phased out. There is no Blake, Khristich, Smyth, Avery etc. type players on this team like on past Kings teams.

Same reason I don't want Doan. Salary and potential chemistry issues.

Just re-sign Penner.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Prokhorkin selected by the London Knights in the CHL entry draft. Does he go the KHL, CHL or AHL route?

Old
06-27-2012, 07:46 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
No to Semin.

Not only will the salary be bad, but chemistry is important. All the bad apples have been phased out. There is no Blake, Khristich, Smyth, Avery etc. type players on this team like on past Kings teams.

Same reason I don't want Doan. Salary and potential chemistry issues.

Just re-sign Penner.
Agree to disagree, I think you're overvaluing "chemistry" If you feel adding a Doan or Semin makes your team better then you do it, if not then you don't.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Agree to disagree, I think you're overvaluing "chemistry" If you feel adding a Doan or Semin makes your team better then you do it, if not then you don't.
It's not overvaluing chemistry when we finally have a ridiculously tight locker room and the team heads in the right direction and wins a Cup for the first time ever. We don't need a Semin, he'd probably become an outcast. My concern with Doan is that he would undermine Brown.

Chemistry and a lack of personal issues between players is a big key for us. This is as tight a group as we'll ever get here in LA.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
It's not only about chemistry.

Doan is 36, we just got done with overpaying a guy in his 30's for what he accomplished on other teams. Shane Doan was decent last season. Ryan Smyth was decent too the year before he got here. Two years later he was one of the worst players on the team. Guys fade fast in their 30's, not everyone is Lidstrom. Will Doan be another Smyth? You can't say for sure. But I don't think it's a risk Lombardi can or will take.

As for Semin, he has way to many red flags for this team to touch with a ten foot pole. His compete level, his work ethic, his attitude, his salary demands. I could go on and on.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Kings4thecup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Prokhorkin selected by the London Knights in the CHL entry draft. Does he go the KHL, CHL or AHL route?
If he comes over to NA, is there a choice between AHL and CHL? I know for 19 yos that play Canadian Jr's cannot go to the AHL(CHL or NHL), but what is the rule for players taken in the CHL import draft? Is it the Kings' choice (that is if he comes to NA)? Thx

It seems smart to play in London, though. Good program, good training, doesn't burn a contract year.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:44 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings4thecup View Post
If he comes over to NA, is there a choice between AHL and CHL? I know for 19 yos that play Canadian Jr's cannot go to the AHL(CHL or NHL), but what is the rule for players taken in the CHL import draft? Is it the Kings' choice (that is if he comes to NA)? Thx
Yes, their is a choice. Voynov got drafted by Moncton but went straight to the AHL, while Loktionov got drafted by Windsor and played for them.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:

It seems smart to play in London, though. Good program, good training, doesn't burn a contract year.
Kings choice (and the players too). Same decision the Kings had to make for Loktionov and Voynov. Loktionov went to juniors and Voynov went to the AHL, I believe both were 18 as well.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:48 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:

It wouldn't burn a contract year if he played in the AHL, since he is under 20.

London is a good developmental team in a good developmental league; I'd like to think a year down there would be good, but I admit I'm excited about him stepping into the AHL right away too.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Oh Pens...

@DustinPenner25
Quote:
"@lucic20: @Dustinpenner25 do you like LA's fan base?" Its the most underrated fan base. love'em
Quote:
"@wolfey143 what was your initial reaction to going to the LA Kings?" Cali? Flight 504? Honestly I called my friends and said I'm comin home

Old
06-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Kings4thecup

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Yes, their is a choice. Voynov got drafted by Moncton but went straight to the AHL, while Loktionov got drafted by Windsor and played for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Kings choice (and the players too). Same decision the Kings had to make for Loktionov and Voynov. Loktionov went to juniors and Voynov went to the AHL, I believe both were 18 as well.
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post

London is a good developmental team in a good developmental league; I'd like to think a year down there would be good, but I admit I'm excited about him stepping into the AHL right away too.
Thanks for the contract clarification. I agree that London seems to be the best choice. I think coming over is definately better than staying in Russia. Seems to me, if he stays over there, he may never get the drive to come over, especially if offered a decent deal to play in the KHL sometime in the future. I don't know their contract rules as far as how old a player has to be to get a big contract. If he comes over to NA, there wouldn't be the lure to stay home down the road.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Reclamation Project
I Not Much Like LA

vCash: 592
No way in hell I want Alexander Semin on our team. Never. Ever ever.

Period.

End of story.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:37 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Sure it is. Your bringing in a player on the wrong side of his 30's, and just using Ziggy's example, paying him a large sum of money to play hockey for 3 years. In Smyth's case it was 18.75 million, in Doan's it would be 15.
In Smyth's case the team was struggling to stay out of the basement with a young roster on cheap affordable contracts. The Kings had money they could and had to spend to reach the salary cap floor. Doan would be joining a team on top of the league hoping to win a championship with them. Completely different situations. Again I agree with you though Doan in this instance is too expensive.

Quote:
He sucked each season here after December. And did his veteran leadership ring through when he demanded a trade because his icetime was going to be cut and his next salary affected? And then on top of it lied to the fans, and went to EDM and said how it was nice to be back in a hockey market. ya he was a real positive force.
You're remembering wrong, Smyth had 5 points in 6 games and was one of the best forwards on the Kings roster in the San Jose series last year, which was right before he asked for the trade. I honestly don't care what he said in the media, guys a tool. Doesn't change the fact that he gave the Kings two years of solid hockey and a very good playoff effort.

Quote:
How can you honestly type that.

Did you enjoy the Stanley Cup run?
Did you enjoy the parade?

None of that happens if Smyth plays out the full three years like Lombardi intended when he originally made the trade. Anytime you make a trade that would have cost your team a championship that is a mistake, a blunder, whatever you want to call it. Trading for Smyth and then committing almost 20 million in valuable cap space for him over three years was a disaster. I'm happy Smyth's greed made it a two year disaster instead of a three year won and we were able to win the cup, but it was still a disaster.

Smyth is here, no Carter and certainly no Fraser. One guy was the glue guy on the 4th line, the other scored the biggest goal in team history.
DL traded for Smyth.
Smyth requested a trade after two years here.
DL traded him to EDM for Fraser and a pick.
Smyth being traded frees up cap space to obtain Carter.
Fraser becomes a huge part of the Kings cup winning 4th line.

All of the above actually happened. I missed the part where the Kings missed out on a cup because of anything Smyth did... Seems to me the only mistake there is Smyth mistakenly being a big reason the Kings won the cup.

Quote:
This is BS.

Just like Smyth a player who rarely crossed into the defensive zone supposedly made Kopitar into a two-way force.

How could a player who couldn't even make it up and down the ice at the end of the season influence the playoff runs of Brown and Kopitar, it's a load of trash. It would be like giving LaBarbera credit for Quick's development or saying Peter Harrold made Drew Doughty the player he is today. Make sense? Neither does your comment.
As I pointed out Smyth elevated his game in the San Jose series the year before he was traded, the same way that Kopi and Brown did this past playoff series. That had to come from somewhere right since both had struggled in the playoffs up until this year? So yeah I think Smyth had a role is showing this team what it takes to win in the playoffs.

Quote:
$6.25 million for fourth in scoring and no shows after December every season isn't that bad?
Again, when you're a young team that needs veteran leadership while they try and make the playoffs and you have the money to spend? Yes. Not only isn't it bad, but it's worth the money.

Quote:
Look, it's not even the two years I'm talking about. It was clearly the third year that made/would have made the Smyth deal one of the biggest blunders in team history. Because none of this magical run happens with him and his bloated cap hit and lack of production on the roster. That is why I am concerned with giving Doan a multi-year deal for $5 million. If he pulls a Smyth and sucks, or doesn't fit in for whatever reason, it handcuffs the Kings ability to make needed moves to improve the team.
Again, the cup run DID happen, and the third year only factored into the Kings getting Fraser. So where's the mistake? Stop trying to rewrite history and judge things that did happen instead of on could haves, and might have beens.

Quote:
They just had an epic run, keep the team together, reward Penner with a fair contract and give it another shot. Don't overpay for a guy on the wrong side of 35 who may or may not have issues with some of our core players.
Agree totally with you here, I think the best option is resign Penner or try and get someone like Stempniak, or Huselius for cheap. That or promote from within. The issue is Penner's wrist and how long he'll be out in my eyes.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:42 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
I did? Where? I've been saying Doan isn't coming here. I do think there's a big difference between 35 (Doan) and 40 (Whitney), though.
Before I forget I owe you an apology, reread your post from earlier and I misread and misinterpreted "Doan type" as you saying you'd be in favor of Doan. Sorry about putting words in your mouth.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:18 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post

In a situation like this, do the Kings help foot the bill on getting him down to NA at all?

Old
06-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

So your saying Dean somehow magically knew that after two seasons that Smyth would demand a trade for greedy reasons? I don't buy it.

Dean either

a) miscalculated how close the team was going to be to a championship in 2012.

b) miscalculated what kind of player Smyth would be in 2012

c) missed out on everyone else and made a panic trade for a guy the Avs couldn't wait to get rid of.

Or maybe it was a little bit of all three, but it still in hindsight was a horrific blunder. Especially for 2012 because clearly the team had developed to a championship level but just needed one more piece, a piece that couldn't have been provided had Smyth stayed aboard.

You can argue about what kind of player he was here, I personally think he stunk, I think he is selfish and doesn't provide nearly the leadership yourself and some others here think he does. (and some Oilers media people have hinted this also)

All I'm saying is, if Ryan Smyth doesn't demand a trade the Kings don't win a cup. It's as simple as that.

And getting back to Shane Doan, it's the exact reason you don't commit that much money and multiple years to a guy his age. We saw how awful a 35 year old Smyth was for us, and how awful a 36 year old Smyth was this year for EDM. I don't want to see a 38 year old Doan making $5 mill a year here. Not on a team that has already proven they can win with the younger core. Plus it's not as if we're acquiring a multiple cup winner. Doan just made it out of round 1 for the first time in 16 NHL seasons.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:28 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

I'd roll the dice with Semin if the price were right.

Think about it, the guy has never had a decent coach. Maybe Sutter could get him to play a more complete game.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:38 PM
bobafettish*

semin's gonna get paid, he wont come here. dont really understand the hate for him he defintely floats but so does penner an carter.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:55 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
And getting back to Shane Doan, it's the exact reason you don't commit that much money and multiple years to a guy his age. We saw how awful a 35 year old Smyth was for us, and how awful a 36 year old Smyth was this year for EDM. I don't want to see a 38 year old Doan making $5 mill a year here. Not on a team that has already proven they can win with the younger core. Plus it's not as if we're acquiring a multiple cup winner. Doan just made it out of round 1 for the first time in 16 NHL seasons.
Rather have Penner than Doan. Wonder how the meeting went today, haven't heard or seen a thing about it.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:57 PM
Reclamation Project
I Not Much Like LA

The reason I don't like Semin is his work ethic. He could easily be an elite offensive player. Players like that piss me off. You have all the talent in the world, use it!

Old
06-28-2012, 12:09 AM
Martyros

Personally, I believe Wideman will earn more of his salary than Bouwmeester has/will.

As long as he stays healthy.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:10 AM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
semin's gonna get paid, he wont come here. dont really understand the hate for him he defintely floats but so does penner an carter.
Except Penner atleast showed up to when it mattered most. Semin doesn't even try most of the time.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Reclamation Project
I Not Much Like LA

This is too juicy not to share...

Quote:
The big news we can finally discuss is surrounding NJ today, where there is some wild speculation that the team could sign Parise and trade Kovalchuk to be able to be in a better position to sell the franchise. I was told about this by various sources earlier in the week, but now it's been intensifying...to say the least...Who could take on kovalchuk's contract? Who is interested? I was told four teams...The Wild, the Red Wings, the Islanders and the Canadiiens...

Many will dismiss this as being a crazy rumor...It sounds crazy, it may not happen, but I can assure you...it isn't.
e5

I don't know if it's or ...

Closed Thread