HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part XI: Stempniak and Ponikarovsky, LOL Offseason Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Blueshirt Believer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I like Shane Doan a lot. Rugged forward, stands up for his boys. True leader. At a good price, would like to see the guy on Broadway. I'm sure he wants a shot at a cup before he hangs em up.

Couple things though have to be factored... Top 2 RW positions are already firmed up. If Doan comes here are you going to either
A) Bump your 2nd year captain to bottom 6?
B) Try him on the left wall, and if so has he ever playednthenleft side?

Lastly, Doan is a real holy roller. Writes Bible passages on his sticks before games. Religion is not a bad thing IMO, each mans faith is his own path to choose, but not everyone thinks like that. Some guys like to spread that through the room. It can unify, or it can divide. How does a small town guy like Doan fit on this club in the middle of the greatest city in the world? Guess that is the uncertainty.
Doan is religious, but doesn't prothlesize. Its a personal matter for him. I think the worst you might get from him is a team prayer thing before a game.

I remember reading about this very thing years ago.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:47 PM
smoneil

Quote:
I like Shane Doan a lot. Rugged forward, stands up for his boys. True leader. At a good price, would like to see the guy on Broadway. I'm sure he wants a shot at a cup before he hangs em up.

Couple things though have to be factored... Top 2 RW positions are already firmed up. If Doan comes here are you going to either
A) Bump your 2nd year captain to bottom 6?
B) Try him on the left wall, and if so has he ever playednthenleft side?
Again, people on this forum are FAR more obsessed with line numbers than they should be. If we have lines of Hagelin/Richards/Gaborik, Dubi/AA/Cally and Kreider/Stepan/Doan, the line numbers mean NOTHING. That's a first line (the Richards line) and two second lines. This is a GOOD thing. Doan wants to be getting 2nd line minutes? Then he and his line-mates had better be playing better than Dubi/AA/Cally. Those two lines pushing each other can only result in positive things for this club.

Incidentally, I also love the idea of putting Doan with Kreider and Stepan. Those two can really learn a lot from a vet like Doan, and that allows Doan to be the "leader" of his line without trying to lead the team and step on Callahan's authority.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:06 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
So ****ing happy that Calgary signed Wideman. Was starting to have fears that Slats would try and sign him.

Jesus, that contract is awful.
Had the same feeling for weeks now.

THANK YOU CALGARY

Old
06-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Rangerfan4life90

I'm sure Sather was interested in Wideman, BUT not at that price.

My god that contract is horrendous.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
I'm sure Sather was interested in Wideman, BUT not at that price.

My god that contract is horrendous.
Chris Drury, Scott Gomez, Bobby Holik, and Wade Redden would like to disagree with you.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Chris Drury, Scott Gomez, Bobby Holik, and Wade Redden would like to disagree with you.
The past is the past for a reason

Old
06-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

I would love Stempniak. He's 15-20 goals for pocket change,unless someone offers him an obscene raise.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Agree with smoniel above. Cally and Step never worked well. Kreider-Steps-Doan would be a very interesting line. Cally plays more of a third liner's game anyway. (Yes, I'm aware of his numbers, but you can't deny that he's not very offensively creative.)

Besides, I want a top 6, middle 6, bottom 3 situation, not a 2 2nd lines, and 2 4th lines. Depth is a good thing, guys.

Can't imagine that Doan would request a big contract. 35+ contract, past his prime.

I'd love Doan in NY, but at a length of 2 years MAX.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
Again, people on this forum are FAR more obsessed with line numbers than they should be. If we have lines of Hagelin/Richards/Gaborik, Dubi/AA/Cally and Kreider/Stepan/Doan, the line numbers mean NOTHING. That's a first line (the Richards line) and two second lines. This is a GOOD thing. Doan wants to be getting 2nd line minutes? Then he and his line-mates had better be playing better than Dubi/AA/Cally. Those two lines pushing each other can only result in positive things for this club.

Incidentally, I also love the idea of putting Doan with Kreider and Stepan. Those two can really learn a lot from a vet like Doan, and that allows Doan to be the "leader" of his line without trying to lead the team and step on Callahan's authority.
The Kreider/Stepan/Doan line blows away the Dubi/Arty/Cally line. There wouldn't be any competition.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I would love Stempniak. He's 15-20 goals for pocket change,unless someone offers him an obscene raise.
Is he better than anything we already have?

Old
06-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Is he better than anything we already have?
Offensively he's more productive than anything that was in our bottom 6 last year.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Got anything past the George W. Bush administration?

Old
06-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Offensively he's more productive than anything that was in our bottom 6 last year.
Oh as a bottom 6 guy ok

Old
06-27-2012, 08:34 PM
smoneil

Quote:
The Kreider/Stepan/Doan line blows away the Dubi/Arty/Cally line. There wouldn't be any competition.
One of these days you will realize that hockey is played on ice and not on paper. Kreider and Stepan are 21 years old. They will have peaks and valleys this season and there will be more than a few games where a young vet line of Dubi/AA/Cally will be the better line. Just 12 months ago, they were the best line on this team and Stepan was being penciled in as the 3rd line C. When their careers are done and in the books? I completely agree that Kreider/Stepan/Doan would likely look like the far superior line. In 2012/13, those two lines will be neck and neck depending on who is hot on any given night.

Old
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Oh as a bottom 6 guy ok
Yeah I don't think he's a real solution to our scoring issue, I just can't stand the constant feeling of "oh we're definitely not gonna score here, such and such line is on the ice." You should have a legit chance of scoring at all times. Some of the 3rd and 4th lines the Rangers had put together this year score once a month

Old
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Keep it on topic guys. This isn't Drury's Pizza Hut thread.
Wouldn't mind Doan at the right price. Whitney's not a bad option either.

Better options than Semin...

DRURY'S PIZZA HUT =

Old
06-27-2012, 08:36 PM
ltrangerfan

Are these proposed acquisitions going to leave Henrik "high and dry"?

A bit more offense with the same defensive performance?

The third and fourth lines scored little and played great D.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Vitto79

So Sunday is sign depth players day. Was looking at the RH D list and man its slim

Kubina, Sarich, Aucoin, Corvo, Jurcina, Martinek..........those are Righties. No wonder everyone is going for Schultz

Honestly Rangers will be lucky to get a depth guy but that may be fine with McD, Girardi, Staal, Sauer, Del Zotto, Erixon. I imagine they have to get an answer from Stralman soon and they will know what happens with Schultz before July 1st

Last edited by Vitto79: 06-27-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old
06-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
One of these days you will realize that hockey is played on ice and not on paper. Kreider and Stepan are 21 years old. They will have peaks and valleys this season and there will be more than a few games where a young vet line of Dubi/AA/Cally will be the better line. Just 12 months ago, they were the best line on this team and Stepan was being penciled in as the 3rd line C. When their careers are done and in the books? I completely agree that Kreider/Stepan/Doan would likely look like the far superior line. In 2012/13, those two lines will be neck and neck depending on who is hot on any given night.
True the game isn't played on paper, but I think when one line is just far more skilled than the other, I think it's fair to assume that it will score more points. It would take Kreider and Stepan having brutal seasons for that line not to produce more than the Dubinsky/AA/Cally line. It's possible, anything is possible, but I think it's a safe assumption that Kreider/Stepan/Doan would score more points.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:42 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
I like Shane Doan a lot.

To be fair, Gabby won't be playing until around until november/december or so, Assuming the season starts on time doan could be a decent temp-replacement.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

With Doan and Callahan we'd have two good RW's and when Gaby comes back you put the worser of the two on the 3rd line. That's how you get depth. Don't be afraid to have more than you need at a position.

It's kind of like when would debate the McIlrath pick and people would say "we don't need Fowler we already have Del Zotto." So? Having two PMD's is not against the rules. Neither is having 3 top six RW's.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:49 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
With Doan and Callahan we'd have two good RW's and when Gaby comes back you put the worser of the two on the 3rd line. That's how you get depth. Don't be afraid to have more than you need at a position.
I like to think of it as having 3 top 9 RW's, not as having 3 top 6 RW's.

I want an actual third line, not two 4th lines. It's a welcomed change.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Doyle

Benn Ferriero?

The Sharks just released him and I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him. Kid has speed, has mild success scoring in the NHL, and came from a great hockey background. He would fit our mold perfectly and wouldn't need to play every game. Get some depth for the top-6 at a verrry cheap price, Slats.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:06 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:

It's kind of like when would debate the McIlrath pick and people would say "we don't need Fowler we already have Del Zotto." So? Having two PMD's is not against the rules. Neither is having 3 top six RW's.
my decision on which lines doan and cally would play on, if we got doan, would depend alot on who else is on the team. if dubinsky and/or anisimov are still on the team then putting cally with them based on their history and chemistry makes a ton of sense and might create the best situation for dubinsky and anisimov to succeed, regardless of what # you label the line.

and i also think doan would be great with kreider and stepan

but you trade dubinsky and lose that chemistry factor with cally and everything could change.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
Benn Ferriero?

The Sharks just released him and I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him. Kid has speed, has mild success scoring in the NHL, and came from a great hockey background. He would fit our mold perfectly and wouldn't need to play every game. Get some depth for the top-6 at a verrry cheap price, Slats.
L or R wing

Closed Thread