HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 06:15 PM
93gilmour93

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jajpan View Post
Tootoo is all I want and what we need.
I really hope we get tootoo.

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Leafs in 7

The more I think about signing Alexander Semin the more i like the idea. Yes there are reports of he is Lazy or whatever . But he would instantly become the best player on our team next to Kessel maybe even better.

5 years $30'000'000

Leafs in 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALDAL View Post
Lets keep this thread the main for for talking about free agency.

Forwards

1.Zack Parise
2.Alexander Semin
3.PA Parenteau
4.Dustin Penner
5.Oli Jokinen
6.Shane Doan
7.Andrei Kostitsyn
8.Paul Gaustad
9.Ryan Smith
10.Daniel Winnik

Goalies

1.Martin Brodeur
2.Dwayne Roloson
3.Jonas Gustavsson
4.Dan Ellis
5.Alex Auld
6.Scott Clemmensen
7.Chris Mason
8.Johan Hedberg
9.Antero Niittymaki
10.Michael leighton
Why is the 1st bolded even in here?
Although the 2nd+3rd could get us to come 1st in EDM's achievements, and then we have a 1D / 1C/RW in Jones/Mackinnon.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:27 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
And how do you know he doesn't want to leave a hockey backwater or doesn't want to play somewhere in which hockey is a big time concern?
Unfortunately that kind of thinking is more for younger players IMO. Veterans tend to look for either a chance to win a cup, or a place that provides a really good quality of life. Presently the Leafs are probably not at the top of most players lists.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:29 PM
ponder

I would of course love Parise or Suter, but I can't see either signing with the Leafs. Other than that, I'd rather just let our current players and prospects compete for spots, I don't really see the need to go out and sign mediocre UFAs at this point. Maybe a #3 C who can kill penalties and play a 2-way game (someone like Gaustad or Kelly), but that'd be it. Even with no signings:

1st line:
Lupul, Bozak, Kessel

2nd line:
JVR, Grabo, and one of Kulemin/Mac

3rd line:
One of Kulemin/Mac at LW, Kadri or Connolly at center, Frattin at RW

Are we really going to find a significant upgrade on any of these guys in the UFA pool? Doesn't really seem like it to me.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:12 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Doubt he'd bring in anyone that might test Dion's leadership - cause we all know how Dion would react to that.
I agree.....

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Mike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolungoReboundo View Post
Lol they all suck...
Agreed. Burke can go to Afghanistan again this year.

Mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:58 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALDAL View Post
The more I think about signing Alexander Semin the more i like the idea. Yes there are reports of he is Lazy or whatever . But he would instantly become the best player on our team next to Kessel maybe even better.

5 years $30'000'000
A club with little size and grit in its top 6, and with aspirations to get tougher, cannot add a player like Semin. He doesn't do anything much but score and this season he only had one more goal than Clarke MacArthur. His decline was not due to injuries so not automatic he "heals" this summer. Basically the only place he fits on the Leafs is in Kessels spot. They can't carry two of those types of right wingers and play "Randy Carlyle hockey" though.

He isn't actually that bad defensively so i have a hard time thinking they wouldn't win more games playing him with Grabo instead of Kule and there is a chance he gets back some of his former production. Just not a very involved player and therfore not someone I think gets a look.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:07 PM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

i feel like its a lock we sign this guy:

- premiere fighter, that humiliation in boston lst yr wont be repeated
- won a cup with burke and carlyle, therefore knows carlyle's system
- and most importantly, AMERICAN

Quote:
Tough-guy George Parros, an unrestricted free agent, would like to return to the Anaheim Ducks but his agent says there will be plenty of interest in the big forward if he does go on the open market. Agent George Bazos said Parros is "excited to see what could be out there " George brings a lot as a player and as a person."
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...-19902166.html

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Nitrock

I wouldn't mind going after Mueller, he has a lot of injury problems, but if he can stay healthy he is a good player. He is also still young and has nice size.

Nitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:52 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrock View Post
I wouldn't mind going after Mueller, he has a lot of injury problems, but if he can stay healthy he is a good player. He is also still young and has nice size.
A new concussion every year. Did you notice how Liles played the second half of the season? They have a whole bunch of guys who cant stay healthy already.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
I really hope Burke brings in Olli Jokinen for 2 years. He's a big guy who still puts up points and I think he's got another season or two of productive hockey left in him.

I know he may not be the popular choice but I sure think he's got a chance to give Toronto that big 1st ish line center they been missing for a while.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:10 PM
theduster17

I don't know about most of you, but I still have full faith in Reimer as our starter next season. I think a vetty like Roloson would be a perfect back-up for him.

As for the others, I don't know that much about the hype over this Schultz kid, but if he turns out to be as good as people say then he is definitely worth it. What kind of money/term are we talking about for him? He hasn't played a single game in the show so perhaps 2-3M/season?

I think Doan would be an excellent fit for the line-up because of his experience. however, I doubt he would move to Toronto. Parise and Sutter are practically pipe-dreams. Although he had a great playoffs, Dustin Penner is not really a player that would be an ideal signing for me. Simply because of his time in Edmonton and I just see him turning into everybody's new whipping boy when things go wrong.

theduster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:24 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Dan Ellis & Daniel Winnik please!

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:48 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
I would go hard after Penner, Gaustad, Prust and Clemmensen. It would make the leafs a lot harder to play against.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Penner
Kulemin - Gaustad - Frattin
Prust - Steckel - Brown

Obviously that is dreaming, but I think even just signing one of Penner or Gaustad would point the team in the right direction.

JVReemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:49 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduster17 View Post
I don't know about most of you, but I still have full faith in Reimer as our starter next season. I think a vetty like Roloson would be a perfect back-up for him.

As for the others, I don't know that much about the hype over this Schultz kid, but if he turns out to be as good as people say then he is definitely worth it. What kind of money/term are we talking about for him? He hasn't played a single game in the show so perhaps 2-3M/season?

I think Doan would be an excellent fit for the line-up because of his experience. however, I doubt he would move to Toronto. Parise and Sutter are practically pipe-dreams. Although he had a great playoffs, Dustin Penner is not really a player that would be an ideal signing for me. Simply because of his time in Edmonton and I just see him turning into everybody's new whipping boy when things go wrong.
Roly is too old to assume he can bounce back from a bad year. Khabibulin is over 3 years younger and had a better year.

Entry Level players are subject to a maximum annual salary plus signing bonus of $875,000 for 2008draftees; $900,000 for 2009 and 2010; and $925,000 for 2011 draftees. They are allowed to have performance bonuses that brought last years top signees to as much as $3,775,000 for RNH. Bozak was signed for the rookie max of $875,000 and bonuses brought his cap hit to $2,850,000 (same as Stamkos). Not sure how much of that he actually earned, but based on the above I guess Schultz could get $875,000 + bonuses and I don't know if these are limited to Bozak numbers because he is another 08, or for 2012 signing numbers which you can see are going to be at least 900k more.

Agree with you about Doan, which most here would, except he is unlukely to have an interest in losing for his last 2-3 years. Agree about Penner too. There is a very real chance you get the LA version of DP (regular season) and even in Edmonton he was considered a frustrating guy who didn't use his size much. Would hate to see him here. He is huge but doesn't play big at all. About Suter and Parise, I think Burke actually said he would not be in on them because they don't fill an immediate need or some such.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:52 PM
JVReemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduster17 View Post

I do think Reimer is a #1 goalie, but he needs seasoning especially in this market. I'd say a 50/50 split with a guy like Roloson. Schultz can only be signed to an entry level contract. And I like the idea of Penner becoming a leaf lol, the guys a monster. He and JVR as wingers on the second line would give Toronto much needed size.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:57 PM
JVReemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I would of course love Parise or Suter, but I can't see either signing with the Leafs. Other than that, I'd rather just let our current players and prospects compete for spots, I don't really see the need to go out and sign mediocre UFAs at this point. Maybe a #3 C who can kill penalties and play a 2-way game (someone like Gaustad or Kelly), but that'd be it. Even with no signings:

1st line:
Lupul, Bozak, Kessel

2nd line:
JVR, Grabo, and one of Kulemin/Mac

3rd line:
One of Kulemin/Mac at LW, Kadri or Connolly at center, Frattin at RW

Are we really going to find a significant upgrade on any of these guys in the UFA pool? Doesn't really seem like it to me.
I think if we sign anyone, its too improve the 3rd line LW or 3rd line C role. Macarthur is on his way out IMO, and Kulemin plays 2nd line RW.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:05 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kadri
Kulemin-Arnott-Frattin
Armstrong-Steckel-Brown
Komarov

Gunnar-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Komisarek
Liles-Schultz

Reimer
Biron

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:50 PM
catgoldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kadri
Kulemin-Arnott-Frattin
Armstrong-Steckel-Brown
Komarov

Gunnar-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Komisarek
Liles-Schultz

Reimer
Biron
This actually looks realistic. Would love to see Arnott there instead of Connolly. Also Biron would be great for a backup role. Schultz not sure if he's coming or not. The only thing is the number one center position. It may have to be Bozak but it would be nice to see a bigger more aggressive guy there.

catgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:59 PM
PasDaSquini

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
How does a guy who scored 17 points last year end up in the top six?
How does a guy with 28 points this past season get second line minutes?

You can what you want about Penner but it is obvious he is in quite a slump and he played third line minutes in LA. This guy hit 60+point 2 seasons ago while on the Oilers. I think Burke will talk to him doubt penner signe here though.

PasDaSquini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:03 PM
number72

Burke said he won't sign anymore small players and he may trade for a goalie (but probably not a sign a UFA goalie). That should give a smaller list of targets he is likely interested in. Bigger forwards and probably Shultz.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:05 PM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Burke said he won't sign anymore small players and he may trade for a goalie (but probably not a sign a UFA goalie). That should give a smaller list of targets he is likely interested in. Bigger forwards and probably Shultz.
Where did he say that?

AlmightyPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:08 PM
Rusty545

Penner I feel will join the LACK group if he is signed here.

Best option for skaters is to keep quiet and maybe pick up some fourth liners, or "blue collar" players as Burke likes to call them.

I think in net they should maybe push for a short term deal with Biron. Therefore, we can have at least a little more trust in net until we know Reimer/Scrivens is ready to take on the starting role. I am not saying he should be a starter, but more act as a safety net in case Reimer/Scrivens are not ready.

Rusty545 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:09 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
Where did he say that?
I posted the link above
http://www.journalpioneer.com/Sports...-free-agents/1

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote