HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Discussion VII: Never Go Full-Rossi (Contract chart/FA list in Post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
agreed. after 1 rough season of only being a pretty good team, they could instantly "rebuild" into a top team in the league this Sunday.
Would be quite a scarily good roster.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:17 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Not to burst any bubbles, but Detroit has the space for Semin, Suter and Parise. They have 24M free, 12 forwards and 5 D signed.
A few post back I posted their lineup, with the additions of Semin (6 mill), Parise (7.5), and Suter (7) and they still had 4 million in cap space.

Apparently I was laughed at for "caring about the Wings to much". It's very realistic that they could all be signed by Detroit.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Dupree13

Nobody seems to be talking about the Caps as a destination for Parise. But I could see them being a player. They have tons of room, are a definite contender, and apparently ZP is tight with Oates.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:41 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Nobody seems to be talking about the Caps as a destination for Parise. But I could see them being a player. They have tons of room, are a definite contender, and apparently ZP is tight with Oates.
I don't see ZP wants to play with Ovechkin. They're completely opposite.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:42 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

If they were going to sign all 3 they would essentially have count on having bad goaltending or cheap good goaltending that only last for a while. If Howard has another good regular season I wouldn't be surprised if he asks for around 5 million. They would be better offer trying to get two & keeping space open for that. Who knows though because they aren't getting younger so they might want to make the moves now.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:43 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Yeah but he would have to live in Washington.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:58 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
If they were going to sign all 3 they would essentially have count on having bad goaltending or cheap good goaltending that only last for a while. If Howard has another good regular season I wouldn't be surprised if he asks for around 5 million. They would be better offer trying to get two & keeping space open for that. Who knows though because they aren't getting younger so they might want to make the moves now.
They could easily sign Semin to a one year deal and say "We believe you are an extremely talented player, but we want to see your commitment to the game and after you do that, we can talk long term deals."

Granted, he might not want to sign a one year deal when other teams will offer him longer deals, but I think he likes the idea of playing with Datsyuk.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
A few post back I posted their lineup, with the additions of Semin (6 mill), Parise (7.5), and Suter (7) and they still had 4 million in cap space.

Apparently I was laughed at for "caring about the Wings to much". It's very realistic that they could all be signed by Detroit.
ya that's what made me realize how much space they had

Old
06-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
They should still have between 2-4M in cap space after signing all 3. That should be enough to be able to deal with the goalie issue in a year.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:38 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
They should still have between 2-4M in cap space after signing all 3. That should be enough to be able to deal with the goalie issue in a year.
No it wouldn't. Not a good goalie. A good goalie in this market is going to run you around 5 million. I don't know why everyone is worked up about their situation anyways. There are a lot of good teams with cap space which is why I've been telling people not to get their hopes up too much.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:42 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
ya that's what made me realize how much space they had
Hopefully they see the demise of the Wings coming...

They extended their glory years by a decade after the Yzerman/Shanny years when they picked superstars in Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Franzen in late rounds. Well that, and the fact that Lidstrom was actually a tireless Cyborg and not a human being at all.

Lidstrom's gone, and even Suter can't replace him, and the Wings have always looked rudderless without him. Franzen and Datsyuk are well into their 30's and Zetterberg isn't that far behind. I hope any FA looking into signing with them sees the writing on the wall, no matter how much they themselves can help.

All bias aside, the Pens HAVE to be Parise's destination of choice. Too much simply makes sense, and too much just fits.

Parise's a realistic choice, and while adding Ryan would be a pipe dream, if I'm Shero I OVERpay with some defensive prospects to get that guy into the Pens lineup, even if it costs us the potential of adding Suter. Even with a "weaker" defensive core, I see no situation in which opposing teams would ever even get a whiff of the puck. It also eliminates Pascal Dupuis as a top six winger (on this team at least) and would thrust him into his proper role on the third line with Sutter and Cookie.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
No it wouldn't. Not a good goalie. A good goalie in this market is going to run you around 5 million. I don't know why everyone is worked up about their situation anyways. There are a lot of good teams with cap space which is why I've been telling people not to get their hopes up too much.
are you talking about this year? Is there any chance they don't roll with Howard?

And I just saw people saying they hope they sign Semin before Sunday but I don't see how that helps us at all.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Hopefully they see the demise of the Wings coming...

They extended their glory years by a decade after the Yzerman/Shanny years when they picked superstars in Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Franzen in late rounds. Well that, and the fact that Lidstrom was actually a tireless Cyborg and not a human being at all.

Lidstrom's gone, and even Suter can't replace him, and the Wings have always looked rudderless without him. Franzen and Datsyuk are well into their 30's and Zetterberg isn't that far behind. I hope any FA looking into signing with them sees the writing on the wall, no matter how much they themselves can help.

All bias aside, the Pens HAVE to be Parise's destination of choice. Too much simply makes sense, and too much just fits.

Parise's a realistic choice, and while adding Ryan would be a pipe dream, if I'm Shero I OVERpay with some defensive prospects to get that guy into the Pens lineup, even if it costs us the potential of adding Suter. Even with a "weaker" defensive core, I see no situation in which opposing teams would ever even get a whiff of the puck. It also eliminates Pascal Dupuis as a top six winger (on this team at least) and would thrust him into his proper role on the third line with Sutter and Cookie.
I don't know how much I agree with your theory, but I like the cut of your jib. I hope you are right

Old
06-27-2012, 07:48 PM
mpp9

Id say the only thing we have going against us is we're in the same division as Parise's present team. We have a better future and the money to pay him. If he leaves and he doesn't come here, he's missing out on a huge chance to win a cup next year.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:56 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
are you talking about this year? Is there any chance they don't roll with Howard?

And I just saw people saying they hope they sign Semin before Sunday but I don't see how that helps us at all.
No I'm talking long term. They have to sign Quincey which will be around 3.2 million, that's 20 million left. Parise 7, Suter 7, Semin 5-6. That works out fine but Howard's contract is up after this year. So the Semin deal would have to be 1 year & I honestly don't see him doing a 1 year contract.

Once again though we should hope for the best but be realistic about it. A lot of teams out there covet these guys so don't set yourself up to be crushed if they don't come here like some in the press are suggesting. There are still others like Ryan, Yandle, Nash that will make us better if we are willing to part with assets.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Id say the only thing we have going against us is we're in the same division as Parise's present team. We have a better future and the money to pay him. If he leaves and he doesn't come here, he's missing out on a huge chance to win a cup next year.
We aren't the only team that can say that. LA for example has the cap space and an opening left by Penner.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
No I'm talking long term. They have to sign Quincey which will be around 3.2 million, that's 20 million left. Parise 7, Suter 7, Semin 5-6. That works out fine but Howard's contract is up after this year. So the Semin deal would have to be 1 year & I honestly don't see him doing a 1 year contract.

Once again though we should hope for the best but be realistic about it. A lot of teams out there covet these guys so don't set yourself up to be crushed if they don't come here like some in the press are suggesting. There are still others like Ryan, Yandle, Nash that will make us better if we are willing to part with assets.
the second half was really my point I guess. I think we agree on the only Penguins-relevant part of that discussion. Aside from how it affects us, I really don't care what Detroit does.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Sivek

I can't see Parise signing with Detroit unless it's as a package deal with Suter. As already stated, Detroit's best players, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Frazen and Kronwall are all 31 or older. Lidstrom is going to be hard as hell to replace. They have a number of talented prospects and young roster guys but that means jack to free agents.

The Pens best players, Letang, Sid, Geno, Neal, etc are all younger than the Detroit guys and are better players. Their peak playing years will coincide with Parise's early contract seasons and most likely help him be a productive player well into his contract.

Parise is either going Minnesota for the mad cash and hometown angle or signing with the Pens. I can't see him going back to NJ because if he really wanted to be there, things would have never gotten to this point. I don't see LA happening either.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
I can't see Parise signing with Detroit unless it's as a package deal with Suter. As already stated, Detroit's best players, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Frazen and Kronwall are all 31 or older. Lidstrom is going to be hard as hell to replace. They have a number of talented prospects and young roster guys but that means jack to free agents.

The Pens best players, Letang, Sid, Geno, Neal, etc are all younger than the Detroit guys and are better players.

Parise is either going Minnesota for the mad cash and hometown angle or signing with the Pens. I can't see him going back to NJ because if he really wanted to be there, things would have never gotten to this point. I don't see LA happening either.
My question is this. When did we become the top contender that all players want to come to? It's something I've been hearing for years. It's also something I've never seen any evidence of.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:03 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I agree with you about Ryan. The guy would fit this roster like a glove and I have no doubt that he would be able to score 35+ on a line with Sid. We need a power forward type who isn't afraid to score dirty goals in front of the net.

He's also got a right-handed shot, which would open up a lot of new looks on the PP. Not to to mention, he is signed through 14-15 at a relatively decent $5.1M cap hit. So it's not like we're adding a lot of salary since he's only making $1.1M more than J Staal.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
I agree with you about Ryan. The guy would fit this roster like a glove and I have no doubt that he would be able to score 35+ on a line with Sid. We need a power forward type who isn't afraid to score dirty goals in front of the net.

He's also got a right-handed shot, which would open up a lot of new looks on the PP. Not to to mention, he is signed through 14-15 at a relatively decent $5.1M cap hit. So it's not like we're adding a lot of salary since he's only making $1.1M more than J Staal.
I would love Ryan. I'd be game for overpaying for him as long as we know he isn't so intent on going to Philly that he'd be a problem when he gets here.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:06 PM
thejew09

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
He was a 3rd pairing defenseman in Washington this past season. Garrison and Carle (who are really the only two defensemen left), are both better, IMO. I don't think he would have got 5 years and 5+ million from a lot of teams, unless a lot of teams were downright desperate. Giving him a deal like that is piss poor cap management, I think.
Wideman was only on the 3rd pairing during the playoffs, due to his poor defensive play. He played the majority of the season as a 1st pairing D-man, replacing Green.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Jag68Sid87

We could pair Ryan up with Tangradi, another former Philadelphia fan growing up.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Sivek

Quote:
My question is this. When did we become the top contender that all players want to come to? It's something I've been hearing for years. It's also something I've never seen any evidence of.
I've never been under the belief that the Pens are a destination team or really that any team is. Generally only older players take less for one last chance at the Cup. It's usually the team that offers the most money or the guy's current club that he re-signs with but this offseason is radically different for the Pens. It's the rare coming together of having the capspace, having the holes (a 2nd elite winger for Sid/Geno), having an elite player who is on the market that fits those holes and a GM that realizes that the status quo isn't good enough anymore.

I'm not suggesting that Parise should sign with the Pens soley because they're in a great situation to win a Cup, but I am suggesting that if winning is a very important thing to Parise, the Pens are the team for him. They will offer him a competitive salary probably around 7-7.5 per year and will team him up with one of the two best centers in the league. It truly is a great situation for a player to come into if winning is a priority.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:30 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Quote:
Not to burst any bubbles, but Detroit has the space for Semin, Suter and Parise. They have 24M free, 12 forwards and 5 D signed.
They have a lower internal cap though...not all teams spend to the ceiling, and they're one of em.

Closed Thread