HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Discussion VII: Never Go Full-Rossi (Contract chart/FA list in Post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 08:40 PM
SidTheKid8787

vCash: 500
Wasn't Shero voted by the players as 'Most I'd Like To Play For" or something like that?

I remember seeing a poll somewhere this or last year. I imagine 24/7 had something to do with that. Combine that with the cap room. I don't see how any player wouldn't want to play here if the right situation arises. ie. If guys wanna play in the east/west or see it as a good fit.

Found the poll NHLPA Player Poll
http://www.playerspoll.ca/results/20...ke-to-play-for

Old
06-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
I've never been under the belief that the Pens are a destination team or really that any team is. Generally only older players take less for one last chance at the Cup. It's usually the team that offers the most money or the guy's current club that he re-signs with but this offseason is radically different for the Pens. It's the rare coming together of having the capspace, having the holes (a 2nd elite winger for Sid/Geno), having an elite player who is on the market that fits those holes and a GM that realizes that the status quo isn't good enough anymore.

I'm not suggesting that Parise should sign with the Pens soley because they're in a great situation to win a Cup, but I am suggesting that if winning is a very important thing to Parise, the Pens are the team for him. They will offer him a competitive salary probably around 7-7.5 per year and will team him up with one of the two best centers in the league. It truly is a great situation for a player to come into if winning is a priority.
We are definitely a good destination for him. But most likely not the only one. I could see the Kings being just as appealing to him. He doesn't get Crosby, but he gets Kopitar and he gets to play in a system that is quite honestly a perfect fit for him.

I just don't want to see this board explode if we don't get him. I think we have as good a chance as anybody. I don't think we have a much better chance than anybody else though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
They have a lower internal cap though...not all teams spend to the ceiling, and they're one of em.
Fair enough.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:43 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
We are definitely a good destination for him. But most likely not the only one. I could see the Kings being just as appealing to him. He doesn't get Crosby, but he gets Kopitar and he gets to play in a system that is quite honestly a perfect fit for him.

I just don't want to see this board explode if we don't get him. I think we have as good a chance as anybody. I don't think we have a much better chance than anybody else though.
I know I'll be grabbing my torch and pitch fork to march on the CEC if we don't.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Jaded-Fan

The Pen have $15 million to spend. They will not be going into the season more than a couple million or so under the cap. They are going to spend it on someone, and likely spend it well. That means one major aquisition at least. That aquisition may be a UFA, may come by trade, but bank on someone new here. That is might not be Parise or Suter does not matter that much. Though a lot of us obviously hope for Parise.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:49 PM
mpp9

Play with the best player in the game. Pretty easy sell if he leaves NJ.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
The Pen have $15 million to spend. They will not be going into the season more than a couple million or so under the cap. They are going to spend it on someone, and likely spend it well. That means one major aquisition at least. That aquisition may be a UFA, may come by trade, but bank on someone new here. That is might not be Parise or Suter does not matter that much. Though a lot of us obviously hope for Parise.
If we acquire that player via trade, Ryan, Nash or anyone else it's going to cost us big time. With the cap space made by Shero over the weekend, I really hope that player comes via UFA and we get to keep our assets going forward

Old
06-27-2012, 08:55 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Play with the best player in the game. Pretty easy sell if he leaves NJ.
Correction, play with one of the best players in the game... and if that doesn't work out, then he can play with the other best player in the game.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Yeah but he would have to live in Washington.
Maybe he moves in with Tim Thomas in DC

Old
Gustavo Fring

The problem, at least for the majority of the fans, is that if they come away without Parise, Suter or Ryan than this off-season will be seen as a step backward. May or may not be true but it would be the perception.

Management could spin it all day but the signing of Semin alone would not be enough.

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I know I'll be grabbing my torch and pitch fork to march on the CEC if we don't.
So if we end up with say...Suter, Ryan and Kostitsyn you would be upset?

Old
06-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
All depends what's going the other way

Old
06-27-2012, 08:58 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
I'm always upset.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC24 View Post
The problem, at least for the majority of the fans, is that if they come away without Parise, Suter or Ryan than this off-season will be seen as a step backward. May or may not be true but it would be the perception.

Management could spin it all day but the signing of Semin alone would not be enough.
I think that having Semin and Sutter is at least on par with Sullivan and Staal.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
All depends what's going the other way
Say we move Martin, TK, Strait and two good prospects. Not necessarily all to them for Ryan, but to make space as well.

Old
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Maybe he moves in with Tim Thomas in DC
I don't know if his bunker would have room.

Old
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC24 View Post

We did just trade Jordan, I think management has no choice here to do something big

Old
06-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
If we acquire that player via trade, Ryan, Nash or anyone else it's going to cost us big time. With the cap space made by Shero over the weekend, I really hope that player comes via UFA and we get to keep our assets going forward
True, but Ryan for instance is locked up until, what, 2015 or 2016 for $5 million per year. That might be $3 million per less than Parise will cost you. That is worth something.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Say we move Martin, TK, Strait and two good prospects. Not necessarily all to them for Ryan, but to make space as well.
I know it's going to be long, but i'll drive them there

Old
06-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
True, but Ryan for instance is locked up until, what, 2015 or 2016 for $5 million per year. That might be $3 million per less than Parise will cost you. That is worth something.
absolutely, you make a great point there. I guess it really depends what's the price to pay for Ryan. We had success in the Kunitz trade with Anaheim, hopefully Shero pulls another masterpiece

Old
06-27-2012, 09:04 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Heading over thisaway.

Closed Thread