HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part XI: Stempniak and Ponikarovsky, LOL Offseason Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 09:44 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
His name has been thrown around here on multiple occasions but Kyle Beach should be a target of the Rangers. Hard nosed, big, aggressive, and he has scoring instincts. I think he has been surpassed in Chicago by a few other players.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:44 PM
mti79

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I would love Stempniak. He's 15-20 goals for pocket change,unless someone offers him an obscene raise.
That's pretty much the reason I want sykora. 20+ goals for less than $1 million. I'll take it.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
His name has been thrown around here on multiple occasions but Kyle Beach should be a target of the Rangers. Hard nosed, big, aggressive, and he has scoring instincts. I think he has been surpassed in Chicago by a few other players.
Would like him but I also wouldn't give up much to get him. No idea what the cost would be.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Vitto79

Does it not make sense to sign a top six then use hagelin, dubi , aa on a third line

Old
06-27-2012, 09:53 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Not sure how much annually each will get. But Doan and Whitney would be great additions.

Between 1-3 year deals.

And a veteran RHD that Tortorella trusts.

Whitney - Richards - Gaborik
Kreider - Stepan - Doan
Hagelin - Dubinsky - Callahan
Boyle - Anisimov - Mitchell
Rupp

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Schultz
Del Zotto - Sarich
Eminger

Lundqvist
Biron

Whitney and Doan would be solid stop gaps until Miller, Fast, Nieves group is ready.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:55 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
L.A. Lariviere ‏@L_A_theRiver

#mnwild fwd G Latendresse will become UFA. Agent Pat Brisson talked to Fletcher, 2 no avail. "I could get closer to Montreal now"
Sounds like he wants to come East.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Sounds like he wants to come East.
He is one guy I take a chance on

Old
06-27-2012, 09:59 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Not sure how much annually each will get. But Doan and Whitney would be great additions.

Between 1-3 year deals.

And a veteran RHD that Tortorella trusts.

Whitney - Richards - Gaborik
Kreider - Stepan - Doan
Hagelin - Dubinsky - Callahan
Boyle - Anisimov - Mitchell
Rupp

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Schultz
Del Zotto - Sarich
Eminger

Lundqvist
Biron

Whitney and Doan would be solid stop gaps until Miller, Fast, Nieves group is ready.

Supersonic, which Mitchell do you mean? Seriously though, I'd rather have Torrie. I think the Rangers can mold him into a better more complete player with his tools.

Boo is going to be 3-4 years away. Lindberg will be 22 one month into the season next year. He's physically ready and takes over the fourth line in my opinion unless Gaustad or Konopka are here, then one of them will play with him on the wing.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Vitto79

Only one of doan n Whitney is realistic

Old
06-27-2012, 10:06 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

John Mitchell.

The fourth line needs to be cheap. The trio needs to be the cheapest group on the roster.

Mitchell is fine on the fourth line until a younger player can claim a spot there.

Torrey Mitchell is an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Upgrading the top nine, specifically a wing on each of the top two lines, is more important than overpaying a T. Mitchell, Konopka, or Prust.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:13 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Only one of doan n Whitney is realistic
You don't know that. You don't know how much they'll each cost.

Its FAR more realistic then some of the nonsense being proposed.

They'll be in touch with each other. They're both leaving Phoenix for the same reasons. The Coyotes are unstable.

Whitney is 39 and Doan is 34. They're not getting massive deals.

Clock is ticking on their career and chances to win a Cup.

They lost in the Conference Final. We lost in the Conference Final.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Vitto79

Quote:

They'll be in touch with each other. They're both leaving Phoenix for the same reasons. The Coyotes are unstable.

Hope input right just don't think. Too much competition for them

Old
06-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:

I'm willing to roll the dice with Doan, but I'm not sold on Whitney. The dude is old, really old. He has also already won a cup(so that is not that relevant).

Old
06-27-2012, 10:24 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
John Mitchell.

The fourth line needs to be cheap. The trio needs to be the cheapest group on the roster.

Mitchell is fine on the fourth line until a younger player can claim a spot there.

Torrey Mitchell is an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Upgrading the top nine, specifically a wing on each of the top two lines, is more important than overpaying a T. Mitchell, Konopka, or Prust.

Gotya, the only thing I fear is that 4th line would be a waste of Artie'e talents and wouldn't have enough speed or produce enough offense.

It would be nice if the 4th line could pop in a total of 27-35 goals and forecheck. Guys like T. Mitchell, Travis Moen, etc. will be a little pricey, but could help and provide depth and can take a regular even strength shift/PK/etc. provide the other guys a rest.

I'd rather slightly over pay by 500K to 1 million for a fourth liner and have that insurance than have to have John Mitchell on the PP or a 7th Dman on the wing again.

Have a lot of extra guys just in case and the best scenario is that Yogan/Hrivik or even JAM/Thomas/Wellman/Borque are ready and force those guys out to be dealt or have extra bodies around for a playoff run.

Worst move the Rangers didn't make this trade deadline was to pick up Brian Rolston off waivers. Yes, the guy was so old he roomed with Gordie Howe in juniors, and his skating isn't good, but having him play 5 minutes a night and having that option for a PP QB would've been better than Bickell or Emminger on the wing. Sometimes warm bodies who can play are essential.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Gotya, the only thing I fear is that 4th line would be a waste of Artie'e talents and wouldn't have enough speed or produce enough offense.

It would be nice if the 4th line could pop in a total of 27-35 goals and forecheck. Guys like T. Mitchell, Travis Moen, etc. will be a little pricey, but could help and provide depth and can take a regular even strength shift/PK/etc. provide the other guys a rest.

I'd rather slightly over pay by 500K to 1 million for a fourth liner and have that insurance than have to have John Mitchell on the PP or a 7th Dman on the wing again.

Have a lot of extra guys just in case and the best scenario is that Yogan/Hrivik or even JAM/Thomas/Wellman/Borque are ready and force those guys out to be dealt or have extra bodies around for a playoff run.
I wouldn't mind giving Wellman a shot. Bourque is iffy. Thomas is not a 4th liner and I seriously doubt can fill that role. Yogan is probably going to need some seasoning.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:26 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I doubt itll happen. But you have to think that the Rangers will be looking at both of them.

Its a blessing that they both decided they want to go to free agency. They're not going on the market because they'll command more money like younger guys do. They're going on the market because the Coyotes management situation is a mess.

They want more stability for the remainder of their careers. No distraction about relocation.

They can both sign in New York and help push for a Cup for the next 2 to 3 years.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:29 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
I'm willing to roll the dice with Doan, but I'm not sold on Whitney. The dude is old, really old. He has also already won a cup(so that is not that relevant).
He also scored over 70 points and is in great shape.

Who cares what his age is. No one is giving him more than 3 years.

And him winning a Cup 7+ years ago is irrelevant. Players want to win.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:31 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
I wouldn't mind giving Wellman a shot. Bourque is iffy. Thomas is not a 4th liner and I seriously doubt can fill that role. Yogan is probably going to need some seasoning.
Totally agree. The Rangers need depth and a lot of that. Guys who can play. This three lines with Bickell or Emminger on the wing deep in a playoff run don't cut it.

Sign more guys at discount prices or look for bang for your buck value.

Can't assume Hrivik and Yogan make the big club right away and leave too many spots open for them. Those are the guys to be added later in the season to create even more depth.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:33 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Totally agree. The Rangers need depth and a lot of that. Guys who can play. This three lines with Bickell or Emminger on the wing deep in a playoff run don't cut it.

Sign more guys at discount prices or look for bang for your buck value.

Can't assume Hrivik and Yogan make the big club right away and leave too many spots open for them. Those are the guys to be added later in the season to create even more depth.
That's why signing Doan and Whitney who can play in the top six, and push guys down the depth chart is more important than over paying for fourth line players.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
He also scored over 70 points and is in great shape.

Who cares what his age is. No one is giving him more than 3 years.

And him winning a Cup 7+ years ago is irrelevant. Players want to win.
He also didn't look all the great in the playoffs(Granted Doan wasn't exactly on fire either, but he was FAR more physical).

I'm sure Whitney would get his points, but in our grinding system, its probably going to take a significant toll on his body.

I think he would wear out come the spring.

Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 06-27-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old
06-27-2012, 10:59 PM
hockeytom17
Rookie User

The most unrealistic thing that are being posted are how alot of people think that we will only add player and not get rid of anyone except for prust maybe and feds.
Lets kinda be realistic the rangers had a good run this season. They lack big time in the offensive fire power department. A one or two year Shane down does not improve us to a cup team. We need a genuine big time goal scorer and I don't think praise is one either. For the offence we need its either Nash/Ryan or bust.
If we can't work it out with prust then we sign konopka for a mill a year. He will be a great center for us just look how he embarised us in faceoffs during the playoffs. We also have to shed some salary so you can almost count on dubi being shown the door. No team should be paying 4+ mill on a third liner at best.
To land a Nash or Ryan you can almost mark my words AA is included in a deal. I wouldn't be surprised if we land Schultz and del zotto is gone also because he had a good season and brought his value up. None of these three are stars or big time guys they are just solid two way players.
To win the cup we need fire power plain and simple or we can all be pissed at the end of next years playoffs when we get aliminated again.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:05 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
guy has barely scored at the ahl level. if he was a ufa then worth the risk but i'm not giving up much for him

Old
06-27-2012, 11:11 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Gotta disagree about the older stopgaps (Doan and especially Whitney). Here's my thinking:

1) I don't believe they fit as well with our style of play. They already slowed down last year under the PO grind. Under Torts, they'd be starting to flag by the holidays. Remember Shanny's tenure and how he broke down? And that was under Renney's passive system.

2) I know they're both consummate professionals, but I don't know how well they'd fit in the locker room. We already have our vet leadership - if we're going to add more, it should be one guy on the back end.

3) Lastly, their contracts will be prohibitive. They will want stability on what are likely to be their last deals, they will be among the prize UFAs in a thin market (look what Wideman got!) and there are other teams that will likely pay up for that same vet leadership. And they'll both be 35+ deals.

If we can't swing a deal for a Ryan or a Nash (or perhaps someone not currently on the radar) for a reasonable price, then I'd much rather go the Mueller/Latendresse route. That gets you 1-2 guys who will be cheap and low-risk/high reward. They will either a) do well and slot in naturally alongside the oft-discussed "core" or b) fail and be easily replaced by new arrivals.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 06-27-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old
06-27-2012, 11:21 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I've never been a fan of upgrading the bottom 6 with UFAs. Always made more sense to me to spend your money on the top 6. Better investments. Unless your prospect pool is bone dry but we don't have that problem.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:29 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:

They are not leaving for the same reasons. Whitney wants a two year contract. He's not going to get it in Phoenix. Doan simply wants stability. He's not excited he possibility of ending up in some place like Quebec City.

Whitney will go to the first team that offers 2 years at good money. That's high risk. He's turning 40 and he slowed down considerably in the playoffs. My guess is he goes to a win now team like Boston. Phoenix would pay him good money but only one year at a time.

Doan won't sign on the first day. He may string out for a week or two. He's a 35+ contract but even if his scoring dries up, he will still be a useful player. Physical players who provide leadership are always in demand. And contrary to what has been written elsewhere in this thread, he was very good in the playoffs.

Barring more legal issues, the arena lease in Phoenix is effective July 8th. I think Doan will drag on that long to see if Jamison can close on the purchase.

Closed Thread