HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer Moves V: Ott 5 Hanzal

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
In the Caps games I've watched over the last two-three seasons, I see a guy who sells out on effort plays and lights up when there is any easier chance. The scoring talent is there, that's evident, yet I can't shake the thought he's akin to Satan -- a lot of puck talent yet there is something missing from his game. It isn't a Russian thing, it's a relatively non-physical but talented scoring winger thing. Is having a mercurial scorer on the wing a need? Not particularly. Might he want to break it off up the Caps backside? Maybe. I'd rather they look elsewhere.

06-27-2012, 05:16 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
11th in qualcomp among Blues forwards. He was a little better in the Corsi variations of that stat, but still, he is. Not. Good. Defensively. He fills zero holes for us. He's an offense-only player at this point, and he isn't good enough there, either.
Simply looking at his qualcomp would ineffectively color one's perception of his defensive skill. I watched more Blues games than I cared to last season due to my roommate's interest, and he was more punished by Sobotka's negligence than his own. "A Little Better" puts him at 4th on the team. That sure is a little better .

Old
06-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
The difference with Semin is he could be a defensive beast at times, and others he just looks like he's going through the motions. He's inconsistent, and it's not a matter of talent--the talent is there.
I would saY he is more consistent than Vanek. At least offensively.
Maybe ruff can tune up his D game as he helped with TV?

I hate the russian percepton of lazy as well. I believe Detroit had a pretty nice run in the 90s with 5 hard working russians in particular..

Old
06-27-2012, 06:33 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Simply looking at his qualcomp would ineffectively color one's perception of his defensive skill. I watched more Blues games than I cared to last season due to my roommate's interest, and he was more punished by Sobotka's negligence than his own. "A Little Better" puts him at 4th on the team. That sure is a little better .
Oh, you're looking at his actual Corsi number. I'm citing the quality of competition sorted by Corsi, which is still below average for Blues forwards. And it's way easier to have a good Corsi rating when you're starting well over the league average of shifts in the offensive zone.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:39 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Oh, you're looking at his actual Corsi number. I'm citing the quality of competition sorted by Corsi, which is still below average for Blues forwards. And it's way easier to have a good Corsi rating when you're starting well over the league average of shifts in the offensive zone.
Believe me, it's not an indictment of his play that he has such starts. His linemates are somewhat.... less than inspiring in Hitch's eyes. At least, that's the line the Blues PBP crew used to explain it.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:55 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
This. I moved into Caps territory recently, and watching the guy regularly, this myth that he's (defensively) lazy is just that: a myth.
Thirded.

I see the Caps all the time living in NoVA. Semin isn't lazy. Streaky and needs some confidence? Yep. Lazy? I didn't see it.

That all said, not sure if I'd go after him with Parise and Ryan potentially available. I think Regier should go after bigger fish, and by that time, Semin might have signed elsewhere.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Mike203

Sabres need left wingers

I've attached what I think will be our team in 13-14. With Armia, Grigorenko, Girgensons and Pysyk be added, I think we need help on left wing. Moen and Parise instead of Gerbe and Leino would put us over the top.

FORWARDS
Ville Leino ($4.500m) / Cody Hodgson ($2.000m) / Jason Pominville ($5.300m)
Marcus Foligno ($0.900m) / Tyler Ennis ($2.000m) / Drew Stafford ($4.000m)
Thomas Vanek ($7.143m) / Mikael Grigorenko ($1.750m) / Joel Armia ($1.275m)
Nathan Gerbe ($1.450m) / Zegmus Girgensons ($1.250m) / Corey Tropp ($0.700m)
Cody McCormick ($1.200m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Brayden McNabb ($0.900m) / Tyler Myers ($5.500m)
Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m) / Alexander Sulzer ($0.950m)
Robyn Regehr ($4.000m) / Andrej Sekera ($2.750m)
Mark Pysyk ($0.870m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.250m)
Jhonas Enroth ($1.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,687,857; BONUSES: $745,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $10,612,143

Old
06-27-2012, 10:28 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike203 View Post
I've attached what I think will be our team in 13-14. With Armia, Grigorenko, Girgensons and Pysyk be added, I think we need help on left wing. Moen and Parise instead of Gerbe and Leino would put us over the top.

FORWARDS
Ville Leino ($4.500m) / Cody Hodgson ($2.000m) / Jason Pominville ($5.300m)
Marcus Foligno ($0.900m) / Tyler Ennis ($2.000m) / Drew Stafford ($4.000m)
Thomas Vanek ($7.143m) / Mikael Grigorenko ($1.750m) / Joel Armia ($1.275m)
Nathan Gerbe ($1.450m) / Zegmus Girgensons ($1.250m) / Corey Tropp ($0.700m)
Cody McCormick ($1.200m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Brayden McNabb ($0.900m) / Tyler Myers ($5.500m)
Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m) / Alexander Sulzer ($0.950m)
Robyn Regehr ($4.000m) / Andrej Sekera ($2.750m)
Mark Pysyk ($0.870m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.250m)
Jhonas Enroth ($1.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,687,857; BONUSES: $745,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $10,612,143
Leino certainly looks like the weak link right now. By that season we might just bury him. Or he might do well next year, who knows.

Also Regehr's contract is up after this season. We might resign him, might not. Depends on how he does and what our other options are. If we lose him the back end might need a short term UFA. Sorry to say but at present I wouldn't be comfortable with Brennan Schiestel Pysyk or any of our prospects in the top-6 in that season. Eh, maybe Pysyk. Depends how he does this year, which is becoming a theme.

I think that they will play Girgensons in the top-9 somewhere rather than at 4C. One out of Ennis, Hodgson, Grigs, and Girgs will play wing in the top-9 if all are healthy. It'll be interesting to see exactly which permutation they choose. Best case Grigs makes the team and knocks it out of the park between Vanek and Pominville. In that case I could see:

Vanek Grigorenko Pominville
Foligno Ennis Stafford
Girgensons Hodgson Armia
Gerbe McCormick Tropp

Last edited by SoFFacet: 06-27-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old
06-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
Leino certainly looks like the weak link right now. By that season we might just bury him. Or he might do well next year, who knows.
I certainly wouldn't count Leino out at becoming a good player in the top 6. If he finds the right chemistry with people, he has the tools to be a good player. Obviously he's not on a value contract but there you have it.

Quote:
Also Regehr's contract is up after this season. We might resign him, might not. Depends on how he does and what our other options are. If we lose him the back end might need a short term UFA. Sorry to say but at present I wouldn't be comfortable with Brennan Schiestel Pysyk or any of our prospects in the top-6 in that season. Eh, maybe Pysyk. Depends how he does this year, which is becoming a theme.
I doubt we resign Regehr if he's going to be looking for multiple years. If McNabb and Pysyk take steps forward this season, I don't think it's a big deal either way.

Quote:
I think that they will play Girgensons in the top-9 somewhere rather than at 4C. One out of Ennis, Hodgson, Grigs, and Girgs will play wing in the top-9 if all are healthy.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him at 4C depending on how the centers are being used. 3C seems reasonable as well if Ennis is on the wing. I wouldn't be surprised to see Zemgus starting as a winger either because he obviously would fit in swell.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Sabresfansince1980

As for Parise, what do people think his cap hit is likely to be? Over 8 mil?

As Buffalo's roster is now, they could have between 7.5 - 8.0 mil in cap space. If they can max out with an 8 mil cap hit deal for Parise, even if it's very front loaded, would that be any higher than what other teams will offer? I just don't think that's enough to overcome any personal preferences he might have.

Time to call Ponikarovsky's agent...lol.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:58 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post

As Buffalo's roster is now, they could have between 7.5 - 8.0 mil in cap space. If they can max out with an 8 mil cap hit deal for Parise, even if it's very front loaded, would that be any higher than what other teams will offer? I just don't think that's enough to overcome any personal preferences he might have.

Some are speculating Minnesota will be offering him upwards of $9m. $8m is not worth it, imo.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Some are speculating Minnesota will be offering him upwards of $9m. $8m is not worth it, imo.
Crazy. We could have two Leinos for that

But seriously, I'd pay Steven Stamkos 9M a year, but there's no way in hell I'd pay that to Parise. Good luck to whomever gets him.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:11 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post

He'll get multiple years of max salary (~$14m with a $70.2m upper limit), but I think they'll manage to get his cap hit down to around $7m.
All of the other big names in recent years have went in the $6m range, with last year's big prize Brad Richards getting two years of max salary and ending up with a $6,666,667 cap hit.

Parise and Richards are represented by the same agency (Newport Sports), which looks to get the most coin out of teams but they are also likely smart enough to know that a massive contract would significantly hinder a team's ability to compete.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:39 PM
McTank

Geez 9 Million? I love parise but he doesnt deserve crosby money

Old
06-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Mike203

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
He'll get multiple years of max salary (~$14m with a $70.2m upper limit), but I think they'll manage to get his cap hit down to around $7m.
All of the other big names in recent years have went in the $6m range, with last year's big prize Brad Richards getting two years of max salary and ending up with a $6,666,667 cap hit.

Parise and Richards are represented by the same agency (Newport Sports), which looks to get the most coin out of teams but they are also likely smart enough to know that a massive contract would significantly hinder a team's ability to compete.
Why not go to about 90m with a cap figure of 6.5m?

Old
06-27-2012, 11:59 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
♪♫♪♫

One, two, three, four, five
Everybody in the office, come on
Let's sign the top free agents on the market
The boys say they'd like to sign Semin
But I really don't wanna
No busts like I had last year
I want the top of the heap
Because Terry's wallet's deep
I like Hanzal, Arnott, Parise and Ryan
And as I continue you know
That I ain't lying
So what will I do when July 1st rolls around?
I'll give out contracts that are guaranteed to astound
And come the fall the team will have a whole new look
Someone get me Pegula's checkbook!

A little bit of Stastny in my life
A little bit of Ennis by my side
A little bit of Ryan is all I need
A little bit of Doan is what I see
A little bit of Hanzal in the sun
A little bit of Arnott all night long
A little bit of Parise here I am
A little bit of them makes me the man

♪♫♪♫

Old
06-28-2012, 12:03 AM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
♪♫♪♫

One, two, three, four, five
Everybody in the office, come on
Let's sign the top free agents on the market
The boys say they'd like to sign Semin
But I really don't wanna
No busts like I had last year
I want the top of the heap
Because Terry's wallet's deep
I like Hanzal, Arnott, Parise and Ryan
And as I continue you know
That I ain't lying
So what will I do when July 1st rolls around?
I'll give out contracts that are guaranteed to astound
And come the fall the team will have a whole new look
Someone get me Pegula's checkbook!

A little bit of Stastny in my life
A little bit of Ennis by my side
A little bit of Ryan is all I need
A little bit of Doan is what I see
A little bit of Hanzal in the sun
A little bit of Arnott all night long
A little bit of Parise here I am
A little bit of them makes me the man

♪♫♪♫
Adding to OP :3

Last edited by drinking bleach irl: 06-28-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old
06-28-2012, 12:07 AM
Girgenburger

I've got no source on this, but did anyone hear rumblings of Evander Kane not being happy in the Peg? I'm personally very high on Kane and would take him over Ryan all day. 20 years old and knows how to score goals. Dude's gonna be awesome for years to come. If there's no shot at Ryan, does Darcy ring up Cheveldeyoff? What would you offer?

Stafford
Sekera
Armia
2013 2nd or 3rd rounder

Would Winnipeg bite? Would they ask for Ennis,McNabb, Foligno? Or might they be interested in Roy?

Last edited by Girgenburger: 06-28-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old
06-28-2012, 01:02 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
I've got no source on this, but did anyone hear rumblings of Evander Kane not being happy in the Peg? I'm personally very high on Kane and would take him over Ryan all day. 20 years old and knows how to score goals. Dude's gonna be awesome for years to come. If there's no shot at Ryan, does Darcy ring up Cheveldeyoff? What would you offer?

Stafford
Sekera
Armia
2013 2nd or 3rd rounder

Would Winnipeg bite? Would they ask for Ennis,McNabb, Foligno? Or might they be interested in Roy?
The rumor was that Kane was unhappy in Winnipeg and unwilling to negotiate a new contract.
Both his agent and Cheveldayoff dismissed the possibility of that and soon after both sides met to begin preliminary discussions, so it's pretty much dead for now.

And did I miss everyone proposing deals for Clowe or what?
Sharks fans seem antsy to get rid of him and everyone here loved him before, so I'm surprised he's not brought up more often.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:24 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
And did I miss everyone proposing deals for Clowe or what?
Sharks fans seem antsy to get rid of him and everyone here loved him before, so I'm surprised he's not brought up more often.
I wouldn't even know where to begin with a proposed package for Clowe+...

Old
06-28-2012, 01:32 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I wouldn't even know where to begin with a proposed package for Clowe+...
They seem to want top six wingers that can make an impact for them now.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:39 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
In the Caps games I've watched over the last two-three seasons, I see a guy who sells out on effort plays and lights up when there is any easier chance. The scoring talent is there, that's evident, yet I can't shake the thought he's akin to Satan -- a lot of puck talent yet there is something missing from his game. It isn't a Russian thing, it's a relatively non-physical but talented scoring winger thing. Is having a mercurial scorer on the wing a need? Not particularly. Might he want to break it off up the Caps backside? Maybe. I'd rather they look elsewhere.
While its pretty much baseless as I have seen very little outside some highlights nd a couple games that were on NHL network.....

Does Joel Armia kind of fit that description a little.... He gives me a Satany vibe..... Not really physical big winger who can score but kind of in his own world.

Last edited by Karate Johnson: 06-28-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old
06-28-2012, 01:45 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

It's awfully hard not to look at that offensive upside and not want a taste of Semin... And he's only 28. I think you take a chance....

And really, it's one of the least risky moves other thn the $$ and it ain't my $$

Old
06-28-2012, 06:32 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Living in DC, I've watched Semin play a lot. I agree wholeheartedly with this. I do not want him here for the money he would probably want. I think it's better spent on another player.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:20 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
It's awfully hard not to look at that offensive upside and not want a taste of Semin... And he's only 28. I think you take a chance....

And really, it's one of the least risky moves other thn the $$ and it ain't my $$
I typically lay off the Semin jokes, but it's like you played that one on purpose.

I don't have much interest in Semin. He has an elite talent level, but really, in the grand scheme of things, he's more of the same in Buffalo (albeit more skilled). I just don't think it'd be a good fit.

Closed Thread