HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part XI: Stempniak and Ponikarovsky, LOL Offseason Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 11:55 PM
CM PUNK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I've never been a fan of upgrading the bottom 6 with UFAs. Always made more sense to me to spend your money on the top 6. Better investments. Unless your prospect pool is bone dry but we don't have that problem.
in general i agree with that and you want to fill the bottom 6 with cheaper guys and you do that by drafting them cause those guys get overpaid as ufas...BUT in our current situation if you have hagelin, kreider and stepan in the top 6 not making alot that allows you to spend more $$ short term on the bottom 6 until those guys are due for raises

Old
06-27-2012, 11:58 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/6/27/rick-nash-facts

Saw this posted on main board. It is worth 5 or so minutes of your time.

It would be one of the worst decisions in franchise history to move 4-5 good pieces that Howson is demanding.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:04 AM
Pizza

"after reading the above"

Brutal. Just brutal. His contact combined with his numbers are a killer.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:05 AM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
As a backup plan I think it's an excellent idea. I always thought Robidas was an underrated defenseman. His last contract was a 4 year deal with a 3.3 cap hit. He's 35 years old. Even at 35 he might be the most physical Blueliner on the squad...if he was to come here. Plus...he's a Righty like you mentioned. I like the idea, what could it cost? A 2nd rounder? A prospect and a bottom 6 roster player?
I checked in with the Dallas board, pitching three possible trades (3rd + Bourque, 4th + Bickel, or a 2nd rounder straight up). They weren't enamored with any of the options. They were more interested in a prospect like Fasth.

That being the case, I doubt it would work. I like Robidas better than any of the FA options, but not SO much better that it would be worth trading one of our higher end B prospects.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:09 AM
Blueshirt Believer

To be fair, I wouldn't be enamored with Bickel in any trade situation. Not even if it was for a used puck bag.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:12 AM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
To be fair, I wouldn't be enamored with Bickel in any trade situation. Not even if it was for a used puck bag.
True, but I figured I'd toss that out there in case they just wanted Robidas gone (which was the impression I'd gotten from some of their posts). Bickel would replace some of Robidas' physical play at a much cheaper salary. The best offer was the 2nd straight up, and that's about as high as I'd go.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:18 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Retarded GM's like Feaster (and Sather in the past ...) screw everything up and are the reason why free agents are so grossly overpaid.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:19 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
There is no reason why they shouldn't.
On the other hand, Semin would be a fool not to be wooed at every offer.

I am for overpaying Semin to get him. ....

but only for 1 repeat ONE year

This way if he's lazy, not a fit, whatever, no long term baggage.
He'll be more inclined to take more years,
but enough extra $$ for 1 yr and run at the cup and chance to rebuild his image for REALLY big payday might sell him to us.
Well, players of his age and stature often sign one year deals, especially after they're coming off of a one year deal that already delayed their first UFA off-season.

I'm pretty sure Semin is going to sign for no fewer than 3-4 years, and he'll do it in a place where it's less likely that he'll clash with a coach that will be riding his ass non-stop.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:23 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Well, players of his age and stature often sign one year deals, especially after they're coming off of a one year deal that already delayed their first UFA off-season.

I'm pretty sure Semin is going to sign for no fewer than 3-4 years, and he'll do it in a place where it's less likely that he'll clash with a coach that will be riding his ass non-stop.
Looks like he won't be signing with a contender then. I'm not sure who would be willing to gamble on a big money softie with an ego for 3-4 years. Not to mention one with the grossest last name ever. Yeah, I said it.

Btw a 4 year contract really ends up gimping him. No one will want to give him the long contract he's looking for at 32. He wants big money security. If all he's getting offered is 3 to 4 year deals he's best off signing a 1 year deal on whatever team will inflate his stats most. Capitalism is a *****.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:30 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Looks like he won't be signing with a contender then. I'm not sure who would be willing to gamble on a big money softie with an ego for 3-4 years. Not to mention one with the grossest last name ever. Yeah, I said it.

Btw a 4 year contract really ends up gimping him. No one will want to give him the long contract he's looking for at 32. He wants big money security. If all he's getting offered is 3 to 4 year deals he's best off signing a 1 year deal on whatever team will inflate his stats most. Capitalism is a *****.
Detroit, or even Montreal would take a run at him. Perhaps even Pitt if they lose out on the Parise sweepstakes.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:31 AM
MadHookUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
John Mitchell.

The fourth line needs to be cheap. The trio needs to be the cheapest group on the roster.

Mitchell is fine on the fourth line until a younger player can claim a spot there.

Torrey Mitchell is an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Upgrading the top nine, specifically a wing on each of the top two lines, is more important than overpaying a T. Mitchell, Konopka, or Prust.
I am praying we part ways with Mitchell. I dont think Torts has enough self control to stop giving him big PP minutes.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:40 AM
Blueshirt Believer

PA Parenteau most likely won't be resigned. Does anyone want to go down that route again?

Old
06-28-2012, 12:42 AM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
PA Parenteau most likely won't be resigned. Does anyone want to go down that route again?
I'd rather swallow fire

Old
06-28-2012, 12:53 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I'd rather swallow fire
Yeah, apparently he wants a six year deal at 4 million per.

Pass...

Old
06-28-2012, 12:59 AM
XLJ

Dreger said on NHL live that Pitt and Detroit have some interest in Semin.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:21 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

I don't want Whitney, he's almost useless come playoff time.

Especially if he's on a team whose primary scorer is going to be out for a significant chunk of time during the regular season (Gaborik).

Old
06-28-2012, 01:36 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
in every one? you sure about that? he mentioned Mueller and Latendresse, both coming off serious injuries. i think moves like this are pointless and tread water. we've had enough reclamation projects and trying to find diamonds in the rough (christensen, wolski, frolov)

Doan and Whitney at least make sense.
IMO its never wrong trying to get a steal in a cap world. AND, these type of signings have a much better chance of succeeding for a good team than for a flawed team.

But, Peter Mueller and Gulliame Latendress? The first is a perimeter sniper. He is no good on the forecheck. No good around the boards. He never goes to the net. He is a poor mans Jeff ONeil for those who remember him.

Latendress is a overrated PF. Decent size. Some skill. Alot of injury problems... He wouldn't hurt us on a lower line. But I can't see how he would help us. He isn't even "experienced". I would MUCH rather pick up someone who wouldn't need alot of work and who would bring some experience. We got kids in more important positions to worry about. Or just bring back Ftank. Why replace F-Tank with L-Dress?

Old
06-28-2012, 01:41 AM
Ola

I like Doan. He doesn't give us another dimension or gear, but just more of the same. But he is good at what he is good at... And while we have a boatload of grinders, we don't have all that much size up ice. At the same time, since we have so many grinders, we struggle to get up ice and Doan is certainly no help for us to get up ice.

In the end, I do wonder if he won't be a bit pricy when all is said and done. He is also getting older...

I am not saying that he is a better option. But Dustin Penner is another cheaper option.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:01 AM
I Am Classless

Quote:
I like PA! Think he wants a ton of years, though, which makes sense since this is his big cash-in. He's a smart, chippy hockey player who can stickhandle and set up finishers better than the vast, vast majority of forwards we have.

Olli Jokinen's always around, too!

Old
06-28-2012, 02:16 AM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagel Bites View Post
I like PA! Think he wants a ton of years, though, which makes sense since this is his big cash-in. He's a smart, chippy hockey player who can stickhandle and set up finishers better than the vast, vast majority of forwards we have.

Olli Jokinen's always around, too!

Are you kidding? Olli Jokinen??? I'd rather have a whole line of Parenteaus

Old
06-28-2012, 06:22 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
So now Stu ****ing Bickel is untouchable????????? Only on this site

Old
06-28-2012, 06:25 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
So now Stu ****ing Bickel is untouchable????????? Only on this site
pretty sureee he was saying that nobody would want bickel.... and we don't own his rights anyway.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:56 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Dreger said on NHL live that Pitt and Detroit have some interest in Semin.
Pitt has something like $15m in cap space available with the new figure. They're going to be linked with every big name FA out there I'm sure.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:00 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Pitt has something like $15m in cap space available with the new figure. They're going to be linked with every big name FA out there I'm sure.
watch them get parise and suter >_>

Old
06-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/6/27/rick-nash-facts

Saw this posted on main board. It is worth 5 or so minutes of your time.

It would be one of the worst decisions in franchise history to move 4-5 good pieces that Howson is demanding.
Bookmarked, hope I don't have to repost that link on July 1.

Stay far away from Nash, Sather!!

Closed Thread