HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Friedman: Salary cap at 70.2 mil

Old
06-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
1. They'll probably move down from the 57% percent of revenues that go to players.
2. They presently calculate the mean of league-wide revenues, and set the salary cap at mean plus $8M and the floor at mean minus $8M. The $16M disparity probably gets slightly expanded (e.g. $18M or $20M).
3. To offset 1. and 2., the players probably insist on greater revenue sharing between the haves and have nots, to prevent too many of the poorer sisters from racing to the floor.

All other issues can be resolved through mutual concessions. Agree to a new split, agree to a new calculus to establish the salary cap & floor, and bump the degree to which the league practices revenue sharing.

How quickly they get there is another matter.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:26 PM
frankthetank91

I can only hope. Teams with money deserve to be able to use it because the teams with the money are the ones with fans. Bothers me to see Phoenix(no offense to the actual team and management itself) to get to the conference finals when the fans don't give a **** anyways and Leafs and the Habs are in the lottery. The higher it goes up the better.

frankthetank91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Shoofyou10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
The cap is simply a mathematical formula on league-wide revenues. To imply that it is getting too high makes no sense. Maybe the calculation needs to be tweaked a little (new CBA, hello), but the cap does not simply get set. There is a percentage of money that goes to the players. The NHL is making more money, so the cap goes up.
That's exactly what I was thinking when I was reading the first couple of replies that were *****ing about it being too high and saying what is the point of the cap if it's going to be that high?

It's based on revenues and is a formula. Nothing to complain about really.

Last edited by piqued: 06-27-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: filter
Shoofyou10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:34 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
I can only hope. Teams with money deserve to be able to use it because the teams with the money are the ones with fans. Bothers me to see Phoenix(no offense to the actual team and management itself) to get to the conference finals when the fans don't give a **** anyways and Leafs and the Habs are in the lottery. The higher it goes up the better.
Ah yes, the classic blame small market teams for poor management of big market teams.

Got ya

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:36 PM
PensBeerGeek

Send a message via AIM to PensBeerGeek Send a message via Yahoo to PensBeerGeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlnc66 View Post
Yeah, but what's the current % the players get from the revenue..57%? With the NBA and NFL dropping the players % close to 50%, you know the NHL is gonna want to get the players down closer to those levels as well.
It was negotiated to start at 54%, but once revenues hit a certain number ($2.75 billion US if I recall correctly) the percentage went to 57.

The owners do want 50/50, but how long a lockout are they going to risk to get that? I think the final percentage ends up in the 52-54% range, which would keep the 2012-13 cap at least what it was in 2011-12.

I also suspect the distance between the cap (Upper Limit is the formal CBA term) and floor will increase. $16 million when the cap was $39 million was a sizable difference, but on $70 million...not so much. As long as the floor decreases are 1:1 with cap increases, I don't see the PA caring about it.

PensBeerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:37 PM
frankthetank91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Ah yes, the classic blame small market teams for poor management of big market teams.

Got ya
Well if we were allowed to spend what we earned we could have Mike ****ing Milbury as GM and still make the playoffs. And why not us fans spend more on tickets then anyone else so why not.

frankthetank91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:41 PM
smitter88

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Well if we were allowed to spend what we earned we could have Mike ****ing Milbury as GM and still make the playoffs. And why not us fans spend more on tickets then anyone else so why not.
This argument is painful.

smitter88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:44 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

I don't care about the upper limit. As an Isles fan, the lower limit better be a high number.

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:12 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Wang Clan View Post
I don't care about the upper limit. As an Isles fan, the lower limit better be a high number.
Just subtract 16mil from the cap and you get the floor.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:17 PM
HawksTillDeath

im sorry

it doesnt matter the smaller markets can still compete

this is based on league revenue earned - of which is shared amungst the team (although not all equally)

the cap is at 70 million becasue the league has money - now the teams have to spend it

HawksTillDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:38 PM
MTechnik
Clutch

vCash: 105
This is great news.

MTechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:58 PM
artilector

The mean is a poor indicator for calculating the cap, because a bunch of rich teams can keep driving it higher and higher. Take a few median teams, should be a lot better.

In the end, to allow the smallest-market teams to compete, they need to redistribute the money somehow. I like the NBA cap in that sense, just make the penalty of going over a soft cap exponentially huge, and redistribute that penalty to the poorest teams. That way a big-market team can spend a tiny bit more, but in doing that will help other teams big time.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 50
I think people who are overly concerned about 70.2m being the new cap and who are comparing to the pre-lock out NHL, are forgetting how much revenue has grown in such a short period of time.

Revenues have grown well over a billion dollars! That's not just from the top 10 teams.

This CBA's model is clearly working and just needs to be fine tuned. The owners put out that 57% during the last negotiations probably thinking it would never be reached. Now its a nice problem to have. The cap will lower based on that 57% dropping lower. The Owners will want 50% but I'll bet they'd settle for 53-4 and call it a day.

Flukeshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:13 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Man, the players might compromise a little if the cap is going to jump that high...

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Roboholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
No...
There is a salary cap and a salary floor, not a "salary cap upper limit" and a "salary cap floor".

70.2M would be the salary cap.
54.2M would be the salary floor.
lol...same thing, really you're being picky now.

Roboholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Mr Lahey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
If it's going to be that high there isn't any point of even having the salary cap.

I don't see how small market teams are going to be able to compete with a salary cap more than 70M.
You're right, free the Leafs to spend 120 million

Mr Lahey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:44 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

The Penguins are almost a floor team! Horrible owners! Are they moving soon?!?!

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:22 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboholic View Post
lol...same thing, really you're being picky now.
No, that was my original point. I am definitely being picky, but saying "Upper limit of salary cap to be $70.2 million" is confusing.

It could either mean:
"The salary cap will be 70.2 million"
or:
"The highest the salary cap can be set at is 70.2 million"

Those 2 statements imply different things. The first one implies that the cap has already been determined and it will be 70.2 million. The second one implies that the cap is not set yet, but that it has been determined that it won't be higher than 70.2million (and possibly could be lower).

I know it's a minor detail, but what's the point of the internet if we can't ague over semantics?

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:25 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Our local poster in the know says this Is only a temporary number. He fully expects there to be a lockout and for the salary cap to be around 60 mill.

06-27-2012, 07:47 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 455
Player salaries are going up just like they always have, so the cap goes up to adjust to the market. $6 million really isn't that much when you look at the rate salaries increase.

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Lux Aurumque*

The cap needs to be brought down to post lockout numbers. It's absurd that people who play a GAME make this much money, while actual important people, who contribute to society, like doctors, scientists, teachers, even politicians, all are lucky to make more than $120,000 (Teachers are lucky to make $80,000!).

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:12 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Our local poster in the know says this Is only a temporary number. He fully expects there to be a lockout and for the salary cap to be around 60 mill.
Even if they got the players all the way down to 50/50 that would still be ~62m.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:22 PM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
The cap needs to be brought down to post lockout numbers. It's absurd that people who play a GAME make this much money, while actual important people, who contribute to society, like doctors, scientists, teachers, even politicians, all are lucky to make more than $120,000 (Teachers are lucky to make $80,000!).
People are usually paid based on how many other people can do their job. Basically anyone with the interest is capable of teaching, not everyone can be a professional athlete.

It's the way things work, get over it.

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:49 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
that money either goes to the owners or the players.

Capping player salaries lower only means more money for the owners of sports teams, not for doctors or teachers.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:13 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
I can't see the league having a Cap of 70M on July 1, then all of a sudden lower it to 60M on Sept 15. To many teams would be screwed to shed 10M

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote