HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

EDM interested in Hjalmarsson

Old
06-28-2012, 01:06 AM
caley

vCash: 500
Since there was already a thread on this 2 days ago (with a more accurate title!), I merged the two.

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:07 AM
Selke

Hjalmarsson is not a bottom pairing defensemen. He's a lot better than he gets credit for, believe me.

Selke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pullyoursocksup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The Oilers need a massive injection of quality on their backend. Hjalmarsson doesn't provide that. He's just another 4, 5 or 6 defenceman.
its a step in the right direction. he would be a top 3 dman on edmonton, and you cant expect a swift acquisition of top pairing defensemen, it takes time to improve.

pullyoursocksup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Max Quackenbush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
Pending? Not true.

That article is simply 1 of the Oilersnation writers speculating.
Again, not true: "CHICAGO SUN-TIMES: Adam L. Jahns reports Blackhawks defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson remains in play and the Edmonton Oilers are among the teams who could have interest."

Max Quackenbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:08 AM
jfisher6
Samurai Champloo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Quackenbush View Post
Salo is not signed so that make only 5 Dmen with any NHL experience....keep trying
You're trolling.

Edmonton's top pairing is Smid and Petry. You don't even get to talk about depth. Your defense is a puddle of skill-less goons like Andy Sutton. And don't even get me started on Nick Schultz, Ryan Whitney, and Corey Potter. Your defense is probably the worst in the NW division.... AINEC

jfisher6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
SilverHaireDevil

Quote:
Salo is not signed so that make only 5 Dmen with any NHL experience....keep trying
please stop.

The Canucks have a much better defense than the Oilers do currently.

Hjalmarsson will not put our D group on a higher level than theirs.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Nucks N Canes

I don't think anyone would argue that the northwest teams defenses are pretty bad, compared to other divisions. Therefore trying to say your the best of the division isn't saying much. However, to say you are better than Vancouver is more than just a reach. Vancouver regularly has 9 NHL defenseman. Edmonton still has large question marks for not only their first pairing but every pairing.

Nucks N Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:09 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
He is better than Peckham.
Peckham is better at the PK and at least he hits.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:10 AM
ProstheticConscience
I see an eagle

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selke View Post
Hjalmarsson is not a bottom pairing defensemen. He's a lot better than he gets credit for, believe me.
Canucks fan agreeing. Hjalmarsson flies really far under the radar with the Hawks having Keith and Seabrook.

Hmm. Interesting conundrum for me. Hawks with weaker defence or Oilers with better defence. Approach/avoidance alternative. *scratches head*

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:12 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Again, not true: "CHICAGO SUN-TIMES: Adam L. Jahns reports Blackhawks defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson remains in play and the Edmonton Oilers are among the teams who could have interest."
From the looks of thing the CHICAGO SUN-TIMES is also speculating, so how can you say that it is not true.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:13 AM
Kesler2Kesler
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher6 View Post
You're trolling.

Edmonton's top pairing is Smid and Petry. You don't even get to talk about depth. Your defense is a puddle of skill-less goons like Andy Sutton. And don't even get me started on Nick Schultz, Ryan Whitney, and Corey Potter. Your defense is probably the worst in the NW division.... AINEC
I agree with most of what you said, but what is wrong with Schultz exactly?

Kesler2Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:14 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The Oilers need a massive injection of quality on their backend. Hjalmarsson doesn't provide that. He's just another 4, 5 or 6 defenceman.
He was a solid 2nd pairing defenseman for a Stanley Cup winning team. But on almighty Oilers he's suddenly 5 or 6 defenseman?

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:15 AM
jfisher6
Samurai Champloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucks N Canes View Post
I don't think anyone would argue that the northwest teams defenses are pretty bad, compared to other divisions. Therefore trying to say your the best of the division isn't saying much. However, to say you are better than Vancouver is more than just a reach. Vancouver regularly has 9 NHL defenseman. Edmonton still has large question marks for not only their first pairing but every pairing.
Actually you're wrong on that too. Here's the Defensive breakdown for the northwest:

Vancouver: 2.33 GA/G (4th in the League)
Minnesota: 2.65 GA/G (T-13th in the League)
Calgary: 2.65 GA/G (T-13th in the League)
Colorado: 2.66 GA/G (15th in the League)
Edmonton: 2.83 GA/G (23rd in the League)

On the other end of the spectrum, the Southeast division only has one team (Florida) that isn't in the bottom 10. So I'd say the southeast division is much worse defensively.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:15 AM
Nucks N Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
From the looks of thing the CHICAGO SUN-TIMES is also speculating, so how can you say that it is not true.
Not gonna lie he's a decent defenseman but in no way is he going to help the terrible defense that Edmonton has. Edmonton needs a leader, someone to run the backend. I guess Schultz could be that person but the majority of good teams have that "one" guy.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:16 AM
Nucks N Canes

Quote:
Actually you're wrong on that too. Here's the Defensive breakdown for the northwest:

Vancouver: 2.33 GA/G (4th in the League)
Minnesota: 2.65 GA/G (T-13th in the League)
Calgary: 2.65 GA/G (T-13th in the League)
Colorado: 2.66 GA/G (15th in the League)
Edmonton: 2.83 GA/G (23rd in the League)

On the other end of the spectrum, the Southeast division only has one team (Florida) that isn't in the bottom 10. So I'd say the southeast division is much worse defensively.
Being good defensively is much different than having good D. You don't need to have good D to play a low-scoring system. Don't need to look farther than NJ to see that.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:16 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Kesler View Post
I agree with most of what you said, but what is wrong with Schultz exactly?
Schultz and Whitney. The guy can't stay healthy, but when he is he's likely our top dman.

It's just a shame he can't get right, because his footspeed wasn't great to begin with, but with his issues it really affects his game.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:20 AM
Garl

Quote:
Peckham is better at the PK and at least he hits.
Hjalmarsson is a good Pker.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:22 AM
jfisher6
Samurai Champloo

Quote:
Being good defensively is much different than having good D. You don't need to have good D to play a low-scoring system. Don't need to look farther than NJ to see that.
Ok guy

Old
06-28-2012, 01:26 AM
Nucks N Canes

Quote:
Ok guy

Clearly you didn't watch the Nucks for half the season. Or watch NJ at all playoffs. Or LA etc. The nucks D was sleepwalking through the second half yet we didn't allow many goals. Luongo and Schneider played outstanding. Hence our low GAA. We probably allowed more chances per game than many other teams.

If you watched NJ their defense was beyond horrendous, they were probably in the bottom 5 talentwise and yet they had a very low GAA through the second half of the year. It's all about the system. And please try to name 5 worse defenses than NJ's.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:28 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Hjalmarsson is a good Pker.
The Hawks had the 27th PK last year, the Oilers were 14th, I cannot see how Hjalmarsson PK ability would help the Oilers.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:32 AM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
The Hawks had the 27th PK last year, the Oilers were 14th, I cannot see how Hjalmarsson PK ability would help the Oilers.
Team not the same as Player. HTH.

99 steps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:34 AM
jfisher6
Samurai Champloo

Quote:
Clearly you didn't watch the Nucks for half the season. Or watch NJ at all playoffs. Or LA etc. The nucks D was sleepwalking through the second half yet we didn't allow many goals. Luongo and Schneider played outstanding. Hence our low GAA. We probably allowed more chances per game than many other teams.

If you watched NJ their defense was beyond horrendous, they were probably in the bottom 5 talentwise and yet they had a very low GAA through the second half of the year. It's all about the system. And please try to name 5 worse defenses than NJ's.
Edmonton, Calgary, Columbus, Tampa Bay, Anaheim? I mean, I understand what you are saying. Forwards play team defense too. I just think team GAA is the only relevant stat here, short of advanced stats, which I am no good at

Old
06-28-2012, 01:39 AM
Nucks N Canes

Quote:
Edmonton, Calgary, Columbus, Tampa Bay, Anaheim? I mean, I understand what you are saying. Forwards play team defense too. I just think team GAA is the only relevant stat here, short of advanced stats, which I am no good at
I think scoring chances is a good way to tell to. Obviously that relies a lot on forwards as well but it gets rid of the goalies being involved.

And it depends on health but Calgary was defs a better line-up if they didn't healthy scratch their better players. And Anaheim when healthy was better than NJ when healthy.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:16 AM
jfisher6
Samurai Champloo

Quote:
I think scoring chances is a good way to tell to. Obviously that relies a lot on forwards as well but it gets rid of the goalies being involved.

And it depends on health but Calgary was defs a better line-up if they didn't healthy scratch their better players. And Anaheim when healthy was better than NJ when healthy.
how about NYI and Minnesota?

Old
06-28-2012, 02:32 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
You're trolling.

Did you just insinuate Nick Schultz a bad defenseman? Wow...

Whitney was hurt but came on stronger near the end, i wouldn't write him off just yet nor would i bet on him either. We're going to have to wait on this one,

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote