HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC 148: Silva vs Sonnen II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-28-2012, 12:35 AM
  #51
211*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 851
vCash: 500
anderson silva is already the greatest fighter of all time why doesnt he just retire? he destroys top 10 competition with such skill its remarkable.

211* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:09 AM
  #52
TerminatorBlue
Registered User
 
TerminatorBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 211 View Post
anderson silva is already the greatest fighter of all time why doesnt he just retire? he destroys top 10 competition with such skill its remarkable.
Yeah he really put a beating on Chael last time.

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:19 AM
  #53
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers
 
Frank the Tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,294
vCash: 500
Nice the Face strikes once again. I am really looking forward to Sonnen-Silva II and that video adds some extra excitement.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:34 AM
  #54
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 211 View Post
anderson silva is already the greatest fighter of all time why doesnt he just retire? he destroys top 10 competition with such skill its remarkable.
He demolished Leites and Maia all right....

__________________

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:32 PM
  #55
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,251
vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
He demolished Leites and Maia all right....
How dare you forget the world renowned Chris Leben!

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:36 PM
  #56
I Am Beat You
Registered User
 
I Am Beat You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,055
vCash: 500
And don't forget the demolition of deserving contender Patrick Cote.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:39 PM
  #57
ck26
#freeRabbit
 
ck26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Coyotes Bandwagon
Country: United States
Posts: 6,835
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by 211 View Post
anderson silva is already the greatest fighter of all time why doesnt he just retire? he destroys top 10 competition with such skill its remarkable.
Lionel Messi might already be the best soccer player of all time ... why doesn't he retire?

Hint: he's 24.

Same thing for Pele, who was 29 when he won the 1970 World Cup (his third).

Hint: he would have never played for the New York Cosmos, three years which was no small part of his legacy.

Anderson Silva may well be the greatest combat athlete of all time. I do think 2010 Anderson Silva could take 1988 Mike Tyson in a no-rules fight. But even that doesn't mean Chael Sonnen can't and won't stomp him in this fight. It's not a matter of comparing who has the higher "OVERALL" rating in UFC Undisputed ... it's all about how skill sets match up, and Chael may well be Anderson's kryptonite.

I can't wait ...

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:59 PM
  #58
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,520
vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
He demolished Leites and Maia all right....
No, he didn't demolish those guys but he has finished 12 of his 14 UFC fights. Including the one against your boy Chael Sonnen. The only two fights he hasn't finished are the ones he didn't want to finish. He took it easy in the Leites and Maia fights and still easily won.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:26 PM
  #59
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,563
vCash: 500
The people disparaging Silva's losses are ridiculous. Look at all of GSP's less than impressive victories. Fedor didn't steamroll everyone he fought. Jose Aldo was in trouble vs Mark Hominick.

You're not going to destroy everyone every fight.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:17 PM
  #60
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
No, he didn't demolish those guys but he has finished 12 of his 14 UFC fights. Including the one against your boy Chael Sonnen. The only two fights he hasn't finished are the ones he didn't want to finish. He took it easy in the Leites and Maia fights and still easily won.
I meant to put a at the end of that. Lets not talk about the Maia fight considering that put a massive black eye on his career. Wait, this isn't Sherdog so we can talk about it without anyone getting in a hissy fight.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:25 PM
  #61
DeathFromAbove
Registered User
 
DeathFromAbove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
And don't forget the demolition of deserving contender Patrick Cote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
How dare you forget the world renowned Chris Leben!
Is there a top middleweight out there that Anderson didn't fight during his reign? It's not like he's ducking contenders to fight Cote.

The only one I can think of is Bisping and that's because he blows every #1 contender fight he gets.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:08 PM
  #62
Jasper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 707
Leitis, Maia, Cote? Come on why not bring up real challenges to Silva, that he's clearly been more motivated for. Henderson, Franklin, Griffin, Belfort come to mind.

I can't argue that Jon Jones may pass Silva at some point in terms of the greatest PFP but Jones has a lot of fights to go and I think Machida may have exposed some weaknesses.


Last edited by Jasper: 06-28-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:08 AM
  #63
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
The people disparaging Silva's losses are ridiculous. Look at all of GSP's less than impressive victories. Fedor didn't steamroll everyone he fought. Jose Aldo was in trouble vs Mark Hominick.

You're not going to destroy everyone every fight.
Unless youre Jon Jones.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:23 AM
  #64
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Unless youre Jon Jones.
Yup, Jones is awesome. He doesn't have Silva's longevity yet though, although with his fight quality and his work-rate he will be there sooner than later. That's what having the best year in MMA history will do for you.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:06 PM
  #65
211*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorBlue View Post
Yeah he really put a beating on Chael last time.
he was injured, i gurantee the second fight will be very different
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
He demolished Leites and Maia all right....
are you 10? he clearly was toying with those bums. look at how he EMBARASSED forrest griffin. look at what he did to belfort. i'll take the quality of andersons fight finishes and quality of fighters over fedors (i respect what he did to the big names of his time, he did beat very good fighters)

211* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:28 PM
  #66
kurt
the last emperor
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,513
vCash: 400
let's try not to get dumb, guys.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:43 PM
  #67
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War
 
AndyPipkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,489
vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
The people disparaging Silva's losses are ridiculous. Look at all of GSP's less than impressive victories. Fedor didn't steamroll everyone he fought. Jose Aldo was in trouble vs Mark Hominick.

You're not going to destroy everyone every fight.
I'd say it kind of evens out for Silva. He lost some embarassing ways(Getting layed on by a 155er for 2 rounds and the flying heel hook.), but he finishes top competition frequently.

GSP always wins and his 2 loses have come by submission to Hughes and getting clipped and punished by Serra, but his fights tend to be decisions and not always exciting.


Slightly OT, but its funny that Silva probably came to the UFC because of his 2nd and 3rd loss(I don't count the DQ) as they were back to back subs in Pride.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:03 PM
  #68
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 211 View Post
are you 10? he clearly was toying with those bums. look at how he EMBARASSED forrest griffin. look at what he did to belfort. i'll take the quality of andersons fight finishes and quality of fighters over fedors (i respect what he did to the big names of his time, he did beat very good fighters)
Yes he clearly toyed them by not engaging for 5 rounds....

If he really "toyed" them, both fights would have been over in 2 rounds.


Last edited by End of Line: 06-29-2012 at 07:21 PM.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:22 PM
  #69
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Yes he clearly toyed them by not engaging for 5 rounds....
First off, Leites was the one who wouldn't engage. That was an embarrassingly bad performance by him.

Secondly, Maia was beaten pretty badly by Silva for a couple rounds. Have a look at Maia after25 minutes. Does that look like he was fighting someone who didn't engage? Silva did some odd clowning/gassing in the last 10-15 minutes but he still did a good amount of damage in that fight.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:40 PM
  #70
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,715
vCash: 500
For any of you that don't get Fuel or whatever it's show on, episode of Primetime:

http://www.ufc.com/media/ufc-primetime-1001


Last edited by Peter Griffin: 06-30-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:31 AM
  #71
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
First off, Leites was the one who wouldn't engage. That was an embarrassingly bad performance by him.

Secondly, Maia was beaten pretty badly by Silva for a couple rounds. Have a look at Maia after25 minutes. Does that look like he was fighting someone who didn't engage? Silva did some odd clowning/gassing in the last 10-15 minutes but he still did a good amount of damage in that fight.
Silva was goofing off in that fight. His clowning was embarrassing. IIRC it really steamed Dana's beans, as Im sure it did the patrons who plunked down several hundred dollars a seat to watch that garbage.

When Silva comes to fight, he is a treat to watch. That said there have been more than one or two dip **** performances in the cage from him. I dont care if its a poor matchup, you are a professional and are getting paid millions each time you step in the cage. The fans deserve better.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:13 PM
  #72
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Silva was goofing off in that fight. His clowning was embarrassing. IIRC it really steamed Dana's beans, as Im sure it did the patrons who plunked down several hundred dollars a seat to watch that garbage.

When Silva comes to fight, he is a treat to watch. That said there have been more than one or two dip **** performances in the cage from him. I dont care if its a poor matchup, you are a professional and are getting paid millions each time you step in the cage. The fans deserve better.
I don't remember Silva doing anything bad in the Leites fight. I remember Leites flopping around like a fish at the end of a Faith No More video, but nothing that Silva did wrong. I'll trust your opinion on that one, since it would be tough on my eyes to go back and watch that one.

And I don't see the "more than one or two" fights that Silva was clowning around in, even if you give him Leites and Maia. Cote was a slow start but he wasn't clowning at all, and then Cote blew out his knee with 3 rounds to go. Can't blame Silva for that one.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:04 PM
  #73
BGDDYKWL
Registered User
 
BGDDYKWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,706
vCash: 500

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:13 PM
  #74
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,715
vCash: 500
Oh man, anyone watching the countdown show?

Anderson: I, you break your face! I break you face man!

No wonder he uses a translator to speak for him, lol.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:32 PM
  #75
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Oh man, anyone watching the countdown show?

Anderson: I, you break your face! I break you face man!

No wonder he uses a translator to speak for him, lol.
At least it's not Ed Soares translating...

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.