HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Mendes: Sundin should wait for hall of fame.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:42 PM
DRWCountryClub

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons93 View Post
Name 30 sports franchises that are more important than them please. After the obvious answers like Yankees, Man U, etc., it gets hard. There definitely aren't 30.
Well Toronto certainly isn't the first, so I'd stop talking right there.

Toronto fans can do the spin job however they want about who played for the better team, who had the better teammates to play with, who scored more in IIHF play, who was a Captain for the Leafs(like that should matter...) but what you can't disprove is that Shanahan had the better career.

More points, more games, more goals, more Cups, the player with 600+ goals and 2000+ PIMs. Gold Medal, like Sundin.

Shanahan trumps Sundin is every notable category other than the arbitrary PPG, but what he lacked in more consistent scoring, he brought in being one of the best PFs off all time. People want to say that HE was the one that benefited from the Wings and that HE never won without the Wings, but I'll ask you, what the **** did the Wings win without Shanahan? Considering he joined the team and they won back to back Cups, I think that speaks for itself.

Do I think that they should both have gotten in? Yes. I think Shanny is more of a slam dunk over Bure and Oates, and geez, look at all the hockey writers that are baffled that he didn't get in.

Yet, in a 1 on 1 comparison, like I said, Shanahan beats Sundin in every notable category.

But hey, Sundin Captained the leafs to mediocrity for 11 years. What a hero.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:42 PM
Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
1995 is a lot closer than 1967
and 13 is more than 5.

Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:46 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
I'm surprised Mendes still has a job after his homophobic stance a couple years ago.
Sure you aren't confusing him with Damian Goddard?

Goddard has gone full blown evangelical by the way. His twitter account looks like something Ted Haggard would have kept and I think he might be on Fox...sorry...Sun TV "News".

I never really agreed with the way his firing went down, but based on what he has done since, I get the impression that his twitter comments probably weren't the first disruptive incident involving his beliefs, just the first time he chose to do it in public.

And on topic, I love Mats, but I do think he may have benefited from having played in Toronto.

Last edited by Pilky01: 06-27-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:50 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
and 13 is more than 5.
-The Superbowl is still relatively new
-5 is still 2nd most in the NFL

point being, winning the Cup pre-expansion (1in 6 chance) isn't as impressive as winning 5 Superbowls in 50+ years

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Gardiner
#Shredder

Quote:

point being, winning the Cup pre-expansion (1in 6 chance) isn't as impressive as winning 5 Superbowls in 50+ years
13>5

Discussion over. No if ands or buts.

Gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Ashley

Quote:

13 is 2nd most in the NHL.

Your point being is irrelevant. Casual sports fans who don't follow hockey won't know the difference between a Stanley Cup won pre-expansion and a Cup won post-expansion.

Didn't JVR (I laughed at this) just refer to the Leafs as the Yankees of the NHL? And he's an American hockey player

Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:07 AM
Gardiner
#Shredder

Without the Leafs, there would be no NHL.

Gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:18 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
This argument about cups is absolute horse ****.

Go take a look at those Leafs rosters, and let me know if you think that had a chance to win the cup against teams like Detroit which had Yzerman, Federov, Lidstrom, and Shanahan.

3 generational talents + One of the greaterst PWF v Sundin and his support cast.

It's not even close.

The only time these two players had about equal support cast was international play - and in those both have won Olympic gold, while Sundin has won 3 WC's, and Shanny only 1.

It's nice to sit there and use the cup as an argument, but it doesn't make much sense when you compare the two teams at the time of the cup wins.

Shanahan won jack **** without Detroit.
Not that I'm arguing against Sundin in the HOF and in favor of Shanahan or anybody else, but that point is irrelevant. Sundin never played against those Red Wings teams, because the Leafs never made it to the finals. In 2002 his Leafs team lost against a Carolina Hurricanes team led by Artus Irbe and an aging Ron Francis, not against a dynasty.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:28 AM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
1995 is a lot closer than 1967
Oilers fan talking crap about the leafs ... Wait it gets better his nick is "The Last Dynasty". Enough from you son, sit back take your first overall and be happy with it.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote