HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jonathan Quick Contract Extension

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 11:03 PM
NuxFan09

vCash: 500
I'm going to say the cap hit will surprise some people here. Prediction: 7 years, $42 million ($6 million per). Not as sure about the money part but I'm positive the term will be 7 years in order to coincide with the end of Doughty's contract.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Ashley

a Cup winning goalie who put up the numbers he did... should be around Rinne money.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:03 AM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

$6.5ish mil, 6-8 years.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:12 AM
LSnow

Fins are allways overpaid for some reason.. So i dont think you can pull conclusions from Rinne deal.. expecting 6.25 x 8

Old
06-28-2012, 12:22 AM
Reclamation Project
Zero Class User

vCash: 498
7 years 48 million.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:58 AM
Fan Of Every Anton
Volchenking

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I'm hoping for something reasonable and conservative.

5 years, 30 million.
I like that a lot. Would be more receptive to a longer deal (7 years?) than I would be a higher salary.

Personally I don't think goaltenders should be paid much more than six million a season. Something like 5 years gives LA what will likely be prime years of Quick at a solid and manageable price. I wouldn't like to see anything 6.5+, but honestly if that's what it will take to lock down Quick, then fine. This team has struggled with spotty goal-tending for a long, long time.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:57 AM
HabsGER

6 years, $39m

Old
06-28-2012, 02:11 AM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzator View Post
I'm going to say the cap hit will surprise some people here. Prediction: 7 years, $42 million ($6 million per). Not as sure about the money part but I'm positive the term will be 7 years in order to coincide with the end of Doughty's contract.
7 years would put it after Doughty since the new contract for Quick would not start until 2013.

I think he might take some of a hometown discount but would 7 mil even fit that number? Rinne got 7 mil when he had 1 Vezina nomination. Quick has 1 Vezina nomination but a conn smythe and a cup win. All this with Rinne being 3 years older.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:49 AM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
Does anyone think LA may be hesitant to give Quick a long term deal because there might be injury issues down the road?

As a goalie, I love Quick, but I worry that his style of play might wear on his hips and knees more so than other goalies.
no.. i think that kipper has a similar acabtic style and he was great... but good on you guys

Old
06-28-2012, 03:27 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

I hope he signs for 6 or so, that'd give precedent for Price to sign for a little under 6.

I'd way rather have Price too though, so frankly I wouldn't care if PRice was making as much or even a bit more than Quick. That's not gonna happen though.

My guess he gets some obscene combo of AAV and term. I look forward to it.

He was as much the "MVP" of the playoffs this year as Thomas was last year...as in he played very well but there were any number of guys who were just as important but no real "stand out" guy so the goalie with the absurd numbers gets the CS obviously.

Kind of funny after all the yammering about how amazing Thomas was last year Quick bested his numbers...maybe people will start to realize that teams are focusing a great deal on limiting 2nd and 3rd chances and limiting scoring chances and shots to the outside as much as possible creating a distorted save percentage on the goalies on teams who do this best.

Old
06-28-2012, 03:32 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Imagine if the Kings had signed him for a couple of years more @ $1.8M back then.

Old
06-28-2012, 03:48 AM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I hope he signs for 6 or so, that'd give precedent for Price to sign for a little under 6.

I'd way rather have Price too though, so frankly I wouldn't care if PRice was making as much or even a bit more than Quick. That's not gonna happen though.

My guess he gets some obscene combo of AAV and term. I look forward to it.

He was as much the "MVP" of the playoffs this year as Thomas was last year...as in he played very well but there were any number of guys who were just as important but no real "stand out" guy so the goalie with the absurd numbers gets the CS obviously.

Kind of funny after all the yammering about how amazing Thomas was last year Quick bested his numbers...maybe people will start to realize that teams are focusing a great deal on limiting 2nd and 3rd chances and limiting scoring chances and shots to the outside as much as possible creating a distorted save percentage on the goalies on teams who do this best.
Price is good, but if want the better goalie you'd be crazy not to take Quick. I'm assuming you only watched him during some of the playoffs, he was the sole reason the kings even made it to the post season to begin with. You can downplay Quick's dominating season playing the "limiting 2nd and 3rd shots" all you want, Quick along with Hank were the top 2 goalies in the league. Quick definitely deserves to make at least a million more a season than Price.

Back on topic, I see quick getting 8 years for 52 million total.

Old
06-28-2012, 04:46 AM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
That's certainly the concern, Quick's been fortunate in that he's been healthy his entire time in LA. But that could change all too quickly.

I'd still be comfortable taking a gamble on a 6-7 year contract but 8+ years would make me very nervous of future cap implications.
Well, he did say having a good physical therapist was key to maintaining his style of play.

Old
06-28-2012, 04:47 AM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

6m per

Old
06-28-2012, 05:01 AM
Richie10

I honestly think it will be at least six years, no more than eight. I also think he will get over 7 per, but only slightly. Lombardi is big on your highest paid player being your best player. He believes it sets a precedent for everyone on the team. Currently, the Kings highest paid player is Doughty at 7 per on the dot, with Kopitar right behind him at 6.8. I think Quick will likely get 7.1 or 7.2 on a 6 or 7 year deal.

Going forward, if that were the case, the Kings salary structure would be set in stone for many years. Doughty locked up for six years, Richards for eight, Carter for nine, Kopitar for another four, and Quick for eight. All at manageable cap hits. I like it.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:03 AM
tony d
The man

I think he gets a contact for 7 years at 7 million per season.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
Old
06-28-2012, 05:19 AM
ChillyPalmer

He'll be getting 6.5 to 7 per year, no doubt.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:32 AM
Vasilevski
TB team with Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
8x 6.65
Would guess something like this.... 7 or 8 x 6,5

Old
06-28-2012, 06:03 AM
Dman88

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I'm hoping for something reasonable and conservative.

5 years, 30 million.
I'm thinking around these lines. Not saying Quick isn't worth more, but I have a feeling he will take a bit of a pay cut to help allow LA to sign other players

Old
06-28-2012, 07:56 AM
palindrom

No one wish him to hit the UFA market and go with a cheaper $ Bernier and a good mentor (Thomas, Vokoun ?) instead of giving Quick big $ ?

Giving quick 5 500 000$ + will mean less $ spend elsewhere in the lineup.
The fact that LA had Quick at only 1 800 000$ and could spends more than other teams on the other position was one of the Kinds key to success.

My opinion is: try to sign him at a reasonable contract (4 000 000$ 4 500 000$), if it doesnt work, let another team overpaid for him as UFA and go with Bernier + a good cheaper $ mentor. The money saved this way will be used to sign/retain good player on the lineup.

Quick is at his peak now, Like Miller 2 years ago, Ward when he won the cup, Paying a player at his peak is always a risky proposition. LA could end up with above average, good Goalie performance (but not elite one) for premium money.

Anyway i would not discuss an extension with Quick until a new CBA is in place. A new CBA could bring many new parameter, like bringing back the UFA age to 28yo.

Last edited by palindrom: 06-28-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old
06-28-2012, 08:01 AM
rajuabju

8 years, $6.6 Per Year.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman88 View Post
I'm thinking around these lines. Not saying Quick isn't worth more, but I have a feeling he will take a bit of a pay cut to help allow LA to sign other players
I'm thinking he takes a discount as well. The guy is the definition of a 'team first' player.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Fripp

7y x 7m

Old
06-28-2012, 10:22 AM
funky

I would love for him to take 5.8 a year and the team will throw in public speaking lessons through Toastmaster.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:39 AM
cubsfan999

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
No one wish him to hit the UFA market and go with a cheaper $ Bernier and a good mentor (Thomas, Vokoun ?) instead of giving Quick big $ ?

Giving quick 5 500 000$ + will mean less $ spend elsewhere in the lineup.
The fact that LA had Quick at only 1 800 000$ and could spends more than other teams on the other position was one of the Kinds key to success.

My opinion is: try to sign him at a reasonable contract (4 000 000$ 4 500 000$), if it doesnt work, let another team overpaid for him as UFA and go with Bernier + a good cheaper $ mentor. The money saved this way will be used to sign/retain good player on the lineup.

Quick is at his peak now, Like Miller 2 years ago, Ward when he won the cup, Paying a player at his peak is always a risky proposition. LA could end up with above average, good Goalie performance (but not elite one) for premium money.

Anyway i would not discuss an extension with Quick until a new CBA is in place. A new CBA could bring many new parameter, like bringing back the UFA age to 28yo.
^^^^ BFL not QFT

Are you saying he can't get better? Because his biggest problems are mental lapses and puck handling.

He has the ability to put a team on his back and carry it for long stretches more so than a single superstar forward could.

No Quick last season, we don't even make the playoffs let alone win it all. And by all accounts our window to challenge for the cup wasnt even supposed to open up till next season.

What do you think a goalie of that caliber is worth to our team? Or yours for that matter?

I'm glad you're not our GM.

Closed Thread