HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leinos role on the team

Old
06-28-2012, 12:35 AM
Husko

vCash: 165
Leinos role on the team

What do you see Leino's role on the team as? I've seen many posters saying they want him on a 2-way line with Pominville.

This concerns me. One of the reasons Leino was so unsuccessful last year was because he was being asked to play defensive zone starts for the first time in his career, after usually being exposed to the easy offensive moments.

Problem is, I don't know how this situation is remedied, save for putting Vanek in that role...

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:44 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

vCash: 500
Scoring line winger, preferably the second line. He's not a good two way player, nor will he be. Just because Lindy tries to jam that square peg into a round hole with everyone doesn't mean it's going to happen. Utilize him for what he's good at. Offensive zone faceoffs and powerplays.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:52 AM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

vCash: 50
Lame-o ruins the whole line up, wish we never signed that bum.

start winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:54 AM
Workensons
doginthebathtub

He's a top 9 forward. Too soft to be on the 4th line but drags ass on any scoring line he's been on. People seem to think he fits well with Roy and Pominvlle. Can't say I like that idea too much. As much as we love the F-E-S line, I don't think the chemistry will last through next season. I think we see Foligno bumped down to the 4th line and Leino skates with Ennis and Stafford. Just a gut feeling.

Last edited by Workensons: 06-28-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Workensons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:10 AM
Timbo Slice
Captain Eich

We would honestly be so much better off without him on the team

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:19 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
He's a top 9 forward. Too soft to be on the 4th line but drags ass on any scoring line he's been on. People seem to think he fits well with Roy and Pominvlle. Can't say I like that idea too much. As much as we love the F-E-S line, I don't think the chemistry will last through next season. I think we see Foligno bumped down to the 4th line and Leino skates with Ennis and Stafford. Just a gut feeling.
The pessimist in me sees the bolded as well. Hopefully that isn't the way the season unfolds...

A lot of my thoughts regarding One Lein Highway - and his role - are contingent upon who ends up on the roster. There's a square-peg-round-hole thing that looms with him, so something small like the addition of an offensive minded center in Grigs could be conducive to Lein and being a one dimensional winger.

Über pessimist says Grigs doesn't make the team, or doesn't have any impact in his first year. Party poopski

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:21 AM
Kruschiki

I seen him as the next jochen Hecht. Obviously, he won't see serious center minutes unless there are injuries.

Kruschiki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:25 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruschiki View Post
I seen him as the next jochen Hecht.
Yep.

I thought Leino picked it up nicely toward the end of the season, I hope he keeps building on that going into the next.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:15 AM
Deevo

Least favorite Sabre. He'll probably be dynamite in the playoffs though.

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:28 AM
gallagt01

Leino is a hard worker with a very unique skill-set that's shown to be effective at times.

He had trouble meshing with the rest of the club last year - that's obvious. I think he played a lot better than he's given credit for, but the play and production weren't synonymous with his 4.5m cap hit that he's slated for.

He's the kind of guy I can see becoming a "glue" player a la Hecht - one that comes in handy particularly down the stretch. But he had trouble solidifying a role for himself last season.

I think he's a good fit with Roy/whoever and Pominville as a puck possession line with defensive chops. Leino isn't the greatest defensively but his possession skills would prove effective on a line like that. He played his best hockey of the season on Pominville's opposite wing.

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:30 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Echoing others, he needs to be put into situations where he can work the offensive half-boards and just clear it in front to a center who will go to the net.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:06 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Partial Matt Ellis with a different name and falls down more.

SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:06 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Least favorite Sabre. He'll probably be dynamite in the playoffs though.
THIS! Yes I agree its hard to find a place for him in the line-up but I really believe if the team can make it to the post season he will earn some of that $$$

If FES doesn't stick then it makes it easier to plug Leino in somewhere:

Vanek-Hodgson-Stafford
LEINO-Ennis-Pominville
Foligno-Roy-Tropp
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta
Ellis

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs View Post
Talk about hyperbole.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:18 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Leino pissed me off with his comments late in the year, basically saying he wasnt playing hard earlier.

I dont really buy what he said, but after the 1st year Leino to me is a whiny player with a load of excuses and I dont know what Regier/Ruff saw in him to give him that deal?

I hope he is our Briere (The Flyers Briere), under performs in the regular season for the FLyers and then is the best player in the playoffs.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:43 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Suck about 75% less in whatever task he's given. I'll be happy.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:58 AM
joshjull

If things don't work out with Leino. We just tell Feaster we've got a top 6 winger with a cheap contract he'd be interested in.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:02 AM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Suck about 75% less in whatever task he's given. I'll be happy.
This, and if he can let go of his inner drew stafford/jochen hecht and start burying golden opportunities this year, that would be nice too.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:08 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs View Post
This one got a chuckle out of me. I wish we could just send him to Europe. He adds nothing to this roster and takes away chances for more deserving players.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:18 AM
punkr0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
I think this is spot on, if F-E-S doesn't stick, Leino could do very well in that slot. He needs to be used mainly as an offensive zone guy, where he can dig that puck out of the corners and set other guys up. I could also see Vanek shifting to the right wing to allow Leino-Hodgson-Vanek in offensive zone situations.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:37 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruschiki View Post
I seen him as the next jochen Hecht. Obviously, he won't see serious center minutes unless there are injuries.
I don't.

Jochen was a team guy that was willing to play in a defensive role. Leino seems to have no interest in playing that role and wants to be used in a primarily offensive role despite the fact that he isn't in the top end of wingers on this team.

The only real solution stinks: move Foligno off of the line with Ennis and Stafford and try Leino there.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Sabretip

I think Bill Hoppe's analysis nailed it in terms of the entire Leino situation:

Quote:
Ville Leino

Contract: $4.5 million cap hit, five years remaining

2011-12 statistics: 71 games, eight goals, 25 points, minus-2, 15:55 average ice time

Just a year into a six-year, $27 million contract, some believe Leino may already be the biggest free agent bust ever.

The Sabres desperately wanted a center last summer, so, with the market woefully thin, they gambled on Leino, who had just completed a 19-goal, 53-point season with Philadelphia as a winger.

It bombed.

A pivot at home in Finland, Leino was a winger again by Oct. 22. He moved back to center for a time, and then shifted back to the side again, this time for good.

Leino, a supreme puck carrier, clearly doesn’t fit well in coach Lindy Ruff’s system. Ruff loves north-south players who shoot. Leino’s an east-west guy who rarely shoots. He had 78 shots last season, 10 fewer than Luke Adam in 19 more games (while averaging about three and half minutes more ice time an appearance).

Leino has no problem expressing his feelings on any subject, something the Sabres likely loathe. If he has another poor season, what could they do with him? Given his contract, he’s probably untradeable.
http://niagara-gazette.com/prosports...h-expectations

Granted, it's only 1 year into the experiment but I have a bad feeling that most of us will be comparing the Leino era in a few years to the Connolly era - classic underachievers who were woefully overpaid and endlessly defended by management in an effort to cover for what was a huge error of judgement

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I don't.

Jochen was a team guy that was willing to play in a defensive role. Leino seems to have no interest in playing that role and wants to be used in a primarily offensive role despite the fact that he isn't in the top end of wingers on this team.

The only real solution stinks: move Foligno off of the line with Ennis and Stafford and try Leino there.
To be honest, that probably doesn't stink all that much. It's entirely probable that Ruff would try others in Foligno's place over the course of the season as he's a rookie and also isn't on the same level as the other two offensively. Since that line was used in a highly offensively-biased role, it would probably work out. Though I obviously want to see that line given every opportunity to build on last year just like everyone else, Ennis+Stafford is the real time-tested chemistry combination.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:34 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

Granted, it's only 1 year into the experiment but I have a bad feeling that most of us will be comparing the Leino era in a few years to the Connolly era - classic underachievers who were woefully overpaid and endlessly defended by management in an effort to cover for what was a huge error of judgement
Not really a great point since when they signed Leino they raved about his puck possession. Leino has never been a shooter, so if he doesnt fit Ruff, why sign him?

I get the point he is trying to make, but it makes zero sense based on what Regier and Ruff said about Leino when they signed him.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

we would be very lucky if Leino could equate himself to Connolly's time here.

Think about it... he'd miss half a season to an entire season in 3 out of the next 5 years (win!) and when he was healthy, he'd help the special teams and play a respectable 2 way game. Any of those scenarios is better then what we got last year.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote