HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fayne out with wrist surgery for 3-4 months

Old
06-28-2012, 12:26 AM
Mgd31

vCash: 500
They way I look at our defense:

Zidlicky/Tallinder: #2/3
Greene: #3 (If he can continue his strong playoffs)
Fayne: #3/4 (Same as Greene)
Volchenkov: #4
Larsson: #4/5

No top legitimate top pairing guys but Zids/Tallinder can definitely play heavy, tough minutes. Greene and Fayne are 2nd pairing shutdown guys, and Larsson can play top 4 minutes but is suitable for the bottom pairing right now. Same with Volch.

Zidlicky-Tallinder
Fayne-Greene
Volchenkov-Larsson

Looks good to me.

Mgd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

i'm honestly pretty worried about both zidlicky and tallinder for the long haul next season. zids was good for us but he wasn't the same after that hit in game 5 vs philly and he really wasn't a top pairing guy before that either. tally, meanwhile, was headed downhill before he came out of the lineup, iirc, and while it is very impressive that he stepped in cold in the finals and made an impact, he wasn't exactly playing tough minutes either.

not saying we should ship them off and bring a new guy in, but i think by the end of next season either larsson will need to step up or someone currently not in the organization will be on our "top" pairing.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:35 AM
Mgd31

Well we have to hope Tallinder returns to form and Zidlicky's injury doesn't linger. And of course the development of Larsson is very key here.

Mgd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:17 AM
Semak

vCash:
So my question is, do you definitely bring back Sal or do you let Harrold, Urbom, Corrente and perhaps a long shot but even Gelinas to duke it out?

Old
06-28-2012, 07:34 AM
tailfins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semak View Post
So my question is, do you definitely bring back Sal or do you let Harrold, Urbom, Corrente and perhaps a long shot but even Gelinas to duke it out?
No way the team can bring back Sal IMO. younger players are coming through the pipeline and we are a cash challenged team. From a budgeting standpoint, I couldn't see spending the extra money on Sal.

My preference, though, is a Volchenkov + Gelinas / Urbom for Bouwmeester deal. Prob need to add on both sides to make it work. I agree with other posters that we need a minutes eater and that Zid prob won't stand up to the role for the full year.

tailfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:47 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Bringing back Sal is pointless. We already have six surefire NHLers for our blueline next year. Plus guys like Urbom, Gelinas, and potentially Merrill to push for a spot.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
we drafted a goalie?

vCash: 369
Quote:
Sort of the same issue I was trying to bring up earlier about AHLers and depth charts a year or two from now if you're truly putting the best current players on the ice this season.

It's not a FIFO system we have down in Albany these days and I fear some players I was excited about are going to get leap frogged and possibly find themselves not getting played with thanks to some shinier new toys arriving.

So many ways to assemble this defense the next year or three and I'm wondering if you assemble it to maximize return over year 1 or all three because I think that spells a different roster and certainly some different names getting signed on the bottom line of contracts.

Q: How do you think the unthinkable?
A: With an itheberg.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:32 AM
rrekaj13

Wasn't Tally being labeled a 'turnover machine' before he was out with the clot? I don't remember correctly.

rrekaj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrekaj13 View Post
Wasn't Tally being labeled a 'turnover machine' before he was out with the clot? I don't remember correctly.
A lot of people on this board don't know how to properly assess a defenseman like Tallinder. They're not cognizant of the fact that he plays against stiff competition and actually tries to skate/pass the puck out of the zone, rather than bounce it off the walls like Volch and Salvador, so of course he's going to appear to have more turnovers than some other more protected defensemen.

Tallinder is close to a top pairing shutdown defender. He's not ideal in that role, but doesn't look out of place. The QualComp and CORSI metrics support it too.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:26 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Wait, stop, just stop, this has gone on long enough. This whole "I'm super hockey sage" attitude of yours just needs to stop.

How old are you? New wave of fans? Remember the old days? You remember the NJ old days?

No matter how a fan got in to the sport, be it interest, love of the game, passed down from parents to children, etc. your generalization is egregious and asinine.

So some casual or average fans don't understand the importance of having a Dman like Fayne on the back line. Big deal, doesn't give you the right to spew out nonsense. Every fan base has these fans, nothing new.

Personally speaking, I'm getting tired of your air of superiority when it comes to hockey knowledge and your constant knocking of people's posts. You were insufferable before and during the draft, cause heaven forbid if anyone knew more than you on any prospect or where a player was going to be picked.

You need to take it down notch.
Quote:
Busy work morning, so I'm a bit late, but here you go.

Honestly, I had to read your posts several times because it was a bit incoherent.

Don't know where you were going with your Trottier post, I have no idea what happened to him and I don't recall ever missing him or know the story of his current MIA status.

What I did was call you out for three things. First, for musing about the "old days", when I'm pretty sure you couldn't tell me who Lee Norwood was without looking him up. Don't give me this "old enough to blah". You're full of crap. Tell me, what are these nostalgic "old days" you are referring to? What are these fuzzy memories of the golden age of hockey/New Jersey Devils hockey that you remember, grandpa?

Second,

There are so many things wrong with this statement, I don't even know where to begin. You just don't say that. Again, if ignorant fans want to make ignorant statements, let them. If a casual fan makes an uniformed statement, help them. But attacking how they became fans and how good a hockey fandom pedigree they have is plain dumb. You don't have to default to generalizations because of a lack argument, just let it go.

I'm making a big deal because that was a very, very "piss poor" choice of words by you.

Third, and perhaps this was just my frustration boiling over, but since you answered in kind, I will reply. Conveniently, you mentioned the two posters who one happens to be a scout and the other the one true self-effacing hockey guru around here. But since you want to play innocent, I'll let it go, for now. But be wary and a little self-awareness goes a long way.

So this place is going down like a rock? Where's that Drama Queen.jpeg when I need it. You know what I enjoy? I enjoy talking about hockey and having a little fun. I don't feel the need to give my opinion on every little single thing cause Salmela knows we have plenty of pundits, experts and GMs around these parts, plus, I don't pretend to know every single thing about hockey, so I rather post on the lighter side of things. And there are times when I do over indulge and trust me when I do, Mods let me know about it.

What did I do? Expedite your exit and deprive this board of your arrogant hockey knowledge? My apologies to everyone.
You are now my favorite poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
My preference, though, is a Volchenkov + Gelinas / Urbom for Bouwmeester deal. Prob need to add on both sides to make it work. I agree with other posters that we need a minutes eater and that Zid prob won't stand up to the role for the full year.
As soon as I saw that Feaster inked Wideman to a 5 year deal and that he'd most probably move J-Bow, I thaught of the same thing, just didn't post it because the mass would've flipped out and talked about my agenda against Volchenkov. They need a SAH d-men cause with all those offensive minded d-men, it won't work. Both players have terrible contracts, one of them has a higher cap hit but for a shorter lenght and the other has a lower cap hit but on a longer term.

The only reason I'd be hesitant in doing this move is that we'd be real soft with the loss of Salvador and Volchenkov. If we could somehow keep Salvador at a fair price, I'd do that type of deal in a heartbeat.

Problem is, Feaster will want a forward, most probably a center, for J-Bow and not another d-men.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:55 AM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
It sucks for Fayne but this might be another blessing in disguise ala Henrique. Someone get's hurt and a prospect with some promise might step up in his abscence like a Urbom or a Gélinas and solidify himself as a regular.

Stranger things have happend.
Yeah it gives another guy a chance to make a statement.

And if Fayne is back in 4 months it will have near zero impact on his career trajectory.

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:56 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
here's that Drama Queen.jpeg when I need it.
I don`t know, but I`d sure use it if I knew. Holy overreaction part deux, that`s everything I got. If I never see your face again I don`t mind. Have a great day, Dr. Phil.

Oh look, you have a new fanboy. The spiral is complete!

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:56 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
He is a top 4 defenseman. The whole D is top 4 defensemen. That means there are going to be some guys who play on the 3rd pairing. Volchenkov is one of them.
I get that someone being on the 3rd pairing doesn't really mean that he's a 3rd pairing guy on a team filled with #3's/#4's. What I don't understand is that he get's limited icetime, wich sometimes is around 3 or 4 minutes less then everyone else, so going with your statement about minutes being handed... he's a 3rd pairing d-men at even strenght and a 1st pairing guy for our PK, just like Colin White was a couple of years ago, nothing more.

I'm still trying to figure out how a top #4 d-men can get's the same amount of icetime then a AHL callup during the post season and have a 4 minute gap with everyone else and lead our blueline with the least amount of icetime by a "regular" with just under 18 minutes per game when the others were all over 20 minutes.

I must be missing something you aren't cause when taking a look at those numbers, it's pretty clear cut in my books.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:06 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
I don`t know, but I`d sure use it if I knew. Holy overreaction part deux, that`s everything I got. If I never see your face again I don`t mind. Have a great day, Dr. Phil.

Hey Getzo, I think someone's Mad, yo!

Personally, I could care less who the Hockey Guru is around here. I just post whatever comes to mind in regards to the Devils(and hockey in general) and see what people say. If they tell me I'm wrong, and explain things from their point of view then It's all good 'cause they see things in a way I don't. If they tell me I'm right, I tell them "Of course I'm right, I'm Schultz! Oh and Anaheim sucks!"

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:08 AM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
I get that someone being on the 3rd pairing doesn't really mean that he's a 3rd pairing guy on a team filled with #3's/#4's. What I don't understand is that he get's limited icetime, wich sometimes is around 3 or 4 minutes less then everyone else, so going with your statement about minutes being handed... he's a 3rd pairing d-men at even strenght and a 1st pairing guy for our PK, just like Colin White was a couple of years ago, nothing more.

I'm still trying to figure out how a top #4 d-men can get's the same amount of icetime then a AHL callup during the post season and have a 4 minute gap with everyone else and lead our blueline with the least amount of icetime by a "regular" with just under 18 minutes per game when the others were all over 20 minutes.

I must be missing something you aren't cause when taking a look at those numbers, it's pretty clear cut in my books.
I don't know what's there to not understand. There's going to be one or 2 guys on a 6 man defense who don't get a whole lot of ice time. 18 minutes isn't exactly nothing. That's a lot for someone who played on the 3rd pairing.

I think you're honestly just looking for an argument here. He's a top 4 defenseman who plays on the 3rd pairing because there are other top 4 D who play above him. That simple.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:14 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post

I guess the truth does hurt or you wouldn't be reacting that way... love it !!!

You should go rewind your tapes of the Florida Panthers games to give us the inside scoop on DeBoer, mister hockey. Or maybe Grigorenko won't slip or Finn won't be available at #29 mister scout.

You just got "s'mak"

Old
06-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Why is everything "us vs them" around here? There are no sides, no factions, no teams, we all root for the same team. This doesn't need to be an adversarial thing. Attack ideas, not people. You guys are forgetting this.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
I guess the truth does hurt or you wouldn't be reacting that way... love it !!!

You should go rewind your tapes of the Florida Panthers games to give us the inside scoop on DeBoer, mister hockey. Or maybe Grigorenko won't slip or Finn won't be available at #29 mister scout.

You just got "s'mak"
What... way?

Keep quoting and acting like a dick, that`s what you do the best after talking about Volchenkov and PMDs. Have fun.

Seriously, looking for an argument and flaming is the way to go man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Why is everything "us vs them" around here? There are no sides, no factions, no teams, we all root for the same team. This doesn't need to be an adversarial thing. Attack ideas, not people. You guys are forgetting this.
Never did such thing, never will.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:34 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Having posters throw their superior knowledge all over the place like the control the board is a sign of arogance and it get's on peoples last nerve. When you have someone saying "I hope I don't ever see your face again", it doesn't generally end real well... especially when someone took the time to write a long ass post, whitout any insults.

It's just funny that a couple of years ago Getzo had no clue about alot of players/coaches in the league, but now, he's mister hockey and is able to predict everything and will correct whoever doesn't agree.

There's a difference between having a debate/conversation with someone and telling someone he's wrong while throwing little jabs to make fun of him. Not everyone is on the same level here and there's Devils fans that are new to this sport and there's fans that were there in the Mickey Mouse era.

We should help and teach the posters who want to learn instead of calling them out with little pet names. That's were I draw the line with certain posters and Getzo passed that line a looooooooooong time ago.

Don't have to agree with anything I said, just wanted to be heard.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

I`m just staring at my screen with an open mouth. Should I laugh, cry or something else? I have no idea what the heck is this.

Just remember. What goes around comes back around. Every lie and slander.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

So, yeah, about Fayne's injury...

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:57 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
Like I said, it might be a blessing in disguise for a young buck to crack our lineup ala Henrique.

Urbom has to jump all over this opportunity. Are we ruling out Harrold or will he get resigned, cause DeBoer doesn't seem to hate it at all.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:59 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
let em go. This is setting up for an awesome Wrestlemania match

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Volchenkov`s not a top4 D and should be traded.

Oh wait.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:16 AM
CerebralGenesis

If I drop a Katie Vick reference, will anyone know what that is in reference to WWE?

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote