HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Plekanec be the one on the way out ?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-28-2012, 08:09 AM
  #26
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥
 
Theosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DDO, Montreal
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,197
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
The funny thing here is that Habs fans are suppose to be one of the most knowledgeable of all hockey fans. Could you guys not see that Gomer was not playing a system that was made for his type of play. He needs to control the puck through the neutral zone, not dump and chase.
I understand that, but you make it sound like he's going to end up like he played back in New Jersey. I just can't see him having a great season even with a system that suits his style more...

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:10 AM
  #27
Undertakerqc
Registered User
 
Undertakerqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
DD will be our #1 center
Plekanec our #2 center
Eller our #3 center.

When Gally is ready, we can move DD to the wing.
DD will never be a winger

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:12 AM
  #28
Undertakerqc
Registered User
 
Undertakerqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Therrien and Bergevin are not fans of big softies like Plekanec. This is his last contract in Montréal and would not be surprised if he was traded before that.

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:12 AM
  #29
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
DD will never be a winger
You're right, he will be traded.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:17 AM
  #30
Undertakerqc
Registered User
 
Undertakerqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
You're right, he will be traded.
Highly unlikely, unless we draft another great young center with size via the draft next year, who wont be ready for 3 years at least.. Trading him to keep Plekanec would create a fire storm for Bergevin has the Cunneyworth hiring did for Gauthier.

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:17 AM
  #31
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
You're right, he will be traded.
Why trade homegrown, fan-favorite talent?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:21 AM
  #32
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Why trade homegrown, fan-favorite talent?
To get better size, and skill at the centre position, to improve the club. Stanley Cups don't get issued to the team with the most fan popular players.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:22 AM
  #33
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Therrien and Bergevin are not fans of big softies like Plekanec. This is his last contract in Montréal and would not be surprised if he was traded before that.
Can you provide a link?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:24 AM
  #34
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Highly unlikely, unless we draft another great young center with size via the draft next year, who wont be ready for 3 years at least.. Trading him to keep Plekanec would create a fire storm for Bergevin has the Cunneyworth hiring did for Gauthier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Why trade homegrown, fan-favorite talent?
It depends on Desharnais' play, but I truly don't see him as a top 6 centre for many years. He's sheltered to be effective, his contribution to the team is uni-dimensional. He's an offense specialist, a much better Glen Metropolit.

While I can't predict the future and say that Eller will pan out as a second line centre and that Plekanec will continue his excellent 2-way play, it's safe to say that if everything turns out like it's supposed to be, Desharnais is the odd man out. Unless, he becomes Martin St-Louis and puts up Elite level numbers.


And really Patofqc, the only thing you say about Plekanec is how soft he is, but you fail to see that he shuts down the best players from other teams night after night and is one of our best Pkers. On top of that, he's our best offensive centre, yes I said it. He manages 50-60 points a year with ****** wingers.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:26 AM
  #35
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
To get better size, and skill at the centre position, to improve the club. Stanley Cups don't get issued to the team with the most fan popular players.
Then trade Plekanec eventually, and have DD as your permanent 3rd liner center long-term.

Galchenyuk-Eller-Desharnais. If the first 2 develop to potential, can you really criticize the size or skill there?

Not ALL centers on your team need to be big.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:28 AM
  #36
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
He's not able to do that anymore. Could you not see that whenever he'd try to rush the puck up the ice, the opponents would close in on him and he'd lose the puck?

The dump and chase was used the first year of Gomez in MTL, only difference is that the opponents let Gomez rush the puck from end to end and once the book was out on him, he never really adjusted. And that strategy was pretty much Gomez's game throughout his career.
He would lose the puck because in the wonderful world of JM's system he had zero support, therefore he would lose the possession of the puck. It's ok, everyone has an opinon and not everyone can be right.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:28 AM
  #37
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,655
vCash: 500
So let me get this straight... we just drafted a bunch of C so we'd have some depth down the middle. The GM has said he wants to build from the middle out.... and you think our best C might be expendable....

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:29 AM
  #38
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,288
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Then trade Plekanec eventually, and have DD as your permanent 3rd liner center long-term.

Galchenyuk-Eller-Desharnais. If the first 2 develop to potential, can you really criticize the size or skill there?

Not ALL centers on your team need to be big.
He was trolling Patofqc.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:30 AM
  #39
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,288
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
He would lose the puck because in the wonderful world of JM's system he had zero support, therefore he would lose the possession of the puck. It's ok, everyone has an opinon and not everyone can be right.
No, he lost the puck because he did the same move everytime he entered the zone. Thus, he was easy to intercept once he gained the zone. Its especially easy to defend a guy who's only option is to pass because his shot is barely peewee calibre.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:31 AM
  #40
Halifaxhab*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Therrien and Bergevin are not fans of big softies like Plekanec. This is his last contract in Montréal and would not be surprised if he was traded before that.
Funny, I have the opposite view of that. They seem to love guys who can play any situation. And is he "soft" because he isn't a big hitter? Because a gy that plays as much as he does against top opposition with AHLers as linemates, I 'm pretty sure is a sought after player.

Or, is it because he isn't from Quebec?


I'm not saying DD is the one to be traded, the opposite. Neither is traded this year. And one is moved only for a deal that fits the teams plans

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:33 AM
  #41
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,779
vCash: 500
We trade no center.

Point. (for now, anyway). We have prospects in Hamilton and Sarnia, let them develop there for the next year+!!

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:34 AM
  #42
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
He would lose the puck because in the wonderful world of JM's system he had zero support, therefore he would lose the possession of the puck. It's ok, everyone has an opinon and not everyone can be right.
What support, what do you expect others to do when a guy is rushing up the ice?

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:34 AM
  #43
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
No, he lost the puck because he did the same move everytime he entered the zone. Thus, he was easy to intercept once he gained the zone. Its especially easy to defend a guy who's only option is to pass because his shot is barely peewee calibre.
No he lost the puck because within the system which Gomez wasn't always following he had ZERO support from his wingers. Yes i have a little knowledge in the basics of hockey, before you ask.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:34 AM
  #44
Erik Estrada
One Country United!
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Land of the Habs
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,701
vCash: 500
If we'd have to bet who'd be gone from Montreal, Desharnais or Pleks? Not who should stay in Montreal... Not who is the better player...Not if it would be a mistake...

Faced with a choice, I don't see current management keeping Pleks... He has the bigger salary, his recent production is lower, he's not the one that speaks French and Eller is being groomed to take over the defensive duties....

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:36 AM
  #45
Malakhov
Registered User
 
Malakhov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,430
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
We need more time to develop our prospects before talking about any trades. Plekanec is the perfect kind of player you need to have around to show an example to the youngsters, he's an hard working guy and fully devoted to this team and his contract is a very reasonable one, it makes no sense to trade him right now. I say he will probably be traded to a contender when our prospects are ready or give us even more depth and be part of the cup run.

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:36 AM
  #46
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Then trade Plekanec eventually, and have DD as your permanent 3rd liner center long-term.

Galchenyuk-Eller-Desharnais. If the first 2 develop to potential, can you really criticize the size or skill there?

Not ALL centers on your team need to be big.
I think both Plekanec and DD will be gone as better replacements become available. Yes, partly because of their size. There needs to be a better mix of size, skill and faceoff ability infused into the team, these guys are short in too many areas (no pun intended).

I absolutely loved draft day when I heard Bergy say you need size up the middle. Finally somoene who gets it, and given he's in a position of ultimate hockey power in Montreal I see some changes coming. The smurf days are over.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:36 AM
  #47
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
If we'd have to bet who'd be gone from Montreal, Desharnais or Pleks? Not who should stay in Montreal... Not who is the better player...Not if it would be a mistake...

Faced with a choice, I don't see current management keeping Pleks... He has the bigger salary, his recent production is lower, he's not the one that speaks French and Eller is being groomed to take over the defensive duties....
Great post ! Well thought out.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:38 AM
  #48
Undertakerqc
Registered User
 
Undertakerqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
If we'd have to bet who'd be gone from Montreal, Desharnais or Pleks? Not who should stay in Montreal... Not who is the better player...Not if it would be a mistake...

Faced with a choice, I don't see current management keeping Pleks... He has the bigger salary, his recent production is lower, he's not the one that speaks French and Eller is being groomed to take over the defensive duties....
Same view here. Plekanec is the odd man out. Plus his defensive play as declined has he had a terrible -20 last year and DD is plus 10.

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:40 AM
  #49
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
So who makes Pacioretty click once Desharnais is gone? Don't think you can move Desharnais to the wing, he's not the fastest and the biggest. That's just a plan to have him fail, so might as well trade him if you can find someone that can make Pacioretty produce. If they do find someone next season, I'm pretty sure Desharnais will be navigating through rumors. A really sad affair, since imho he's our best offensive center right now.


Last edited by vokiel: 06-28-2012 at 08:45 AM.
vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:40 AM
  #50
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,288
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
No he lost the puck because within the system which Gomez wasn't always following he had ZERO support from his wingers. Yes i have a little knowledge in the basics of hockey, before you ask.
So Gomez has been bad for two entire seasons of hockey because every single game, despite playing for two different coaches and a multitude of linemates, he had 0 support from his wingers.

Okay...

Then how do you explain his ineffectiveness when he was moved to the wing? 0 support from his center?

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.