*OFFICIAL* Peterborough Petes 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2012, 10:43 AM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes96 View Post
you're correct to a degree. Watson demanded a trade but only to London and London knew this. So they waited and low balled them. Watson was not going to come back to Peterborough no matter what so Reid took what ever he could get for him at the deadline. Remember he was at the World juniors and didn't demand his trade until the tournament was over which only gave the Petes a week.

With Puempel who cares about the NHL the Petes is a business as much as the NHL. If they though Puempel was good enough to make the big club they would have him on it or put him in the AHL. But he's not so they send him back to his junior team to develop. Yes the team that owns his rights. Who is he to dictate to the league where he should and shouldn't play. So if the NHL wants a better relationship with the CHL then they should step up and tell him to go back to his Junior team and play out his season.
I think you're a little off on your timelines. There was a trade lined up before the WJ's with Watson going to Sarnia for I believe Ritchie (there were other pieces) involved but Watson quashed the trade because he found out Spooner was headed to Sarnia in January. Watson and Spooner never got along so the Sarnia trade never came to fruition. So going by that timeline Reid had close to a month to find a suitable deal for Watson and Reid screwed up.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Tigers1992

Still havent heard anything to suggest that Puempel has asked for a trade. Surprised some fans seem to want to kill the kid before we even know its true.

Old
06-26-2012, 11:16 AM
cfaub

Quote:
you're correct to a degree. Watson demanded a trade but only to London and London knew this. So they waited and low balled them. Watson was not going to come back to Peterborough no matter what so Reid took what ever he could get for him at the deadline. Remember he was at the World juniors and didn't demand his trade until the tournament was over which only gave the Petes a week.

With Puempel who cares about the NHL the Petes is a business as much as the NHL. If they though Puempel was good enough to make the big club they would have him on it or put him in the AHL. But he's not so they send him back to his junior team to develop. Yes the team that owns his rights. Who is he to dictate to the league where he should and shouldn't play. So if the NHL wants a better relationship with the CHL then they should step up and tell him to go back to his Junior team and play out his season.
Rayzor already covered the Watson part.

As for the Puempel or others that demand a trade.

All 60 teams that make up the CHL are businesses and part of their mandate is to develop these kids for the next level, professional hockey. Once they are drafted they are sent back if they can't crack the NHL roster of the team that drafted them as per the CHL/NHL agreement.

Why would the CHL have this agreement with the NHL when no other league in the world has this agreement? I would imagine it would be because the CHL teams have agreed to ensure the players get the development their pro teams expect them to. If they are not going to get this development then the NHL has no reason to continue this agreement and I believe can eliminate it pretty well whenever they choose to, or simply not renew it when it is due, not sure the exact set up.

What would the Petes, Spit or any team in the CHL do if they lost all their drafted players at the age of 18? The CHL would become a league built for 16 and 17 year olds for starters since if they do get drafted they would be gone. This would also likely lower the quality of hockey which in turn likely affects the business side of it.

I still don't know where all this talk has come from concerning Puempel. I know you Petes fans are closer to the situation and may have heard a few rumblings but usually by now there are multiple posters from multiple teams who are posting things they have heard about similar situations that have gone on for this long. No one else seems to be hearing or posting anything. I hope for the sake of the Petes that it is not true.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:50 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsb View Post
Talking to a third party from another team and they were indicating a deal with Colts & Petes could be in the works. Not a Pumplel deal.
Do you know who's doing the buying and selling?

Old
06-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Johnsb

From what I can see just filling needs for both.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:31 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
From what I can see just filling needs for both.
What does Barrie need D or forwards?

Old
06-26-2012, 01:57 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Do you know who's doing the buying and selling?
Yeah, I'd be interested in knowing too.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Johnsb

I don't know. I would think it depends on what Barrie decides to do with the 92's.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:11 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
I don't know. I would think it depends on what Barrie decides to do with the 92's.
How's your euro situation? Only Oa's possible for Ptbo would be Sutch or O'Connor I'd think.

Old
06-26-2012, 03:21 PM
defensehockey19

Petes move up in import draft.
http://goo.gl/D9vor

I think its safe to say were picking tomorrow.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:12 AM
chriryan

apparrentley moving 27 spots closer is a big deal he also says hes identified some players that he thinks will report. its not will they report its he better be an elite euro or it doesnt matter if he reports. the pick will prob still be a massive project you wont get a show stopper at 42.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Petes96

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriryan View Post
apparrentley moving 27 spots closer is a big deal he also says hes identified some players that he thinks will report. its not will they report its he better be an elite euro or it doesnt matter if he reports. the pick will prob still be a massive project you wont get a show stopper at 42.
Petes select 5'9" 179 lbs leftwinger Jonatan Tanus from Tappara Finland with the 42nd pick in the CHL Import Draft.

not sure what to think anymore. That gives us six left wingers
Puempel 93
Ritchie 95
Thompson 95
Betzold 95
Tanus 95
Maguire 96

Last edited by Petes96: 06-27-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old
06-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Petes96

Quote:
Petes select 5'9" 179 lbs leftwinger Jonatan Tanus from Tappara Finland with the 42nd pick in the CHL Import Draft.

not sure what to think anymore. That gives us six left wingers
Puempel 93
Ritchie 95
Thompson 95
Betzold 95
Tanus 95
Maguire 96
well this settles all that. Puempel traded to Kitchener!! wow! thanks pumps

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.c...e-matt-puempel

Old
06-27-2012, 04:01 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
well this settles all that. Puempel traded to Kitchener!! wow! thanks pumps

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.c...e-matt-puempel
We just got ripped off.... Again.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Petes96

Quote:
We just got ripped off.... Again.
getting used to it!!!

Old
06-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Crottenham

I don't get it, why would Reid succumb to this? If the kid didn't want to play for Peterborough and only gave one destination (how do you get price tension?) I would have told the kid to stay home.

I mean, notwithstanding any legitimate issues we don't know about I honestly don't see how one can run a franchise constantly having a gun to your head and aiding it by caving in.

There is somthing to be said of only wanting people around that want to be there, but you really hurt yourself at least not looking to expand the teams you can deal with by taking a harder line. To me this is a recipe for disaster going forward.

Strange.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
I don't get it, why would Reid succumb to this? If the kid didn't want to play for Peterborough and only gave one destination (how do you get price tension?) I would have told the kid to stay home.

I mean, notwithstanding any legitimate issues we don't know about I honestly don't see how one can run a franchise constantly having a gun to your head and aiding it by caving in.

There is somthing to be said of only wanting people around that want to be there, but you really hurt yourself at least not looking to expand the teams you can deal with by taking a harder line. To me this is a recipe for disaster going forward.

Strange.
As much as I respect Dave, I can not argue with what you.

I would have asked him to report, or not play. Simple as that. The franchise needs stability alot more then it needs 2 2nd round picks and Zach Lorentz.

If he didnt come, at least its on him. Now, it looks like you yielded to a 19 year old kid for the second time in 6 months.

Last edited by Tigers1992: 06-27-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old
06-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Guerzy
Serenity

vCash: 200
I suppose it was only a matter of time. Hopefully with these deals along with whatever other trades Reid has planned for after the trade freeze make us a better all-around team.

Its hard to be positive when you see star players ask out year after year, but I feel we may be better for it this season and beyond. If not... things in Petes land will be very gloomy.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:33 PM
Petes1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I suppose it was only a matter of time. Hopefully with these deals along with whatever other trades Reid has planned for after the trade freeze make us a better all-around team.

Its hard to be positive when you see star players ask out year after year, but I feel we may be better for it this season and beyond. If not... things in Petes land will be very gloomy.
Putting my frustration aside for a second, I do agree. When Reid turns those 2nds into someone, probably Ritchie, then the team is better, at least deeper.

Lorentz is at least a proven player for the 3rd line, which the team needed.

I just can't believe, once again, Reid ends up on the short end.

Hopefully this is the end of these guys wanting out.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:44 PM
Guerzy
Serenity

vCash: 200
Totally agree, Petes1. I as well still believe we got the short end of the stick here. Even if we do get Ritchie from Niagara for picks involved in this deal, I believe we should have gotten a better player than Lorentz AND the picks.

Ah well, we'll see what happens next.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Petes96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Totally agree, Petes1. I as well still believe we got the short end of the stick here. Even if we do get Ritchie from Niagara for picks involved in this deal, I believe we should have gotten a better player than Lorentz AND the picks.

Ah well, we'll see what happens next.
I'm so pissed still that I can't even speak to anyone around my house. This makes no sense to me what so ever

Old
06-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Petes96

Peterborough Petes' GM Dave Reid says he's not done reshaping his team after trading captain Matt Puempel and acquiring a promising young forward in the CHL Import Draft Wednesday.

Reid granted a request by Puempel to be traded by sending him to the Kitchener Rangers, the only team Puempel would agree to go to, for Zach Lorentz and two, second-round draft picks in 2014 and 2016. The Petes also selected skilled Finish forward Jonatan Tanus with the 42nd overall pick in the import draft.

Reid said he will use the draft picks acquired in the Puempel deal to acquire another player he anticipates will fit into the club's top six forwards. He was unable to complete the transaction before Wednesday's 5 p.m. summer trade freeze. Trading will open up again Aug. 1.

Puempel requested a trade in the spring and his family, through their agent Pat Morris, submitted a formal request in writing two weeks ago. Lorentz is a five-foot-11, 190-pound Waterloo native who can play centre or left wing. He had 19 goals and 33 points in 66 games last season, his second in the OHL. He has one year of junior eligibility left along with an overage season. He is a distant cousin to former Petes' captain Dave Lorentz and Petes' 2012 draft pick Steve Lorentz.

Reid said it was clear Puempel would not return to the club in the fall and he didn't want his team distracted all summer and into the fall by it. Lorentz is a player the Petes have coveted for a while because of his character, hard work and ability to play in all situations so they were comfortable making the deal feeling they could also turn the picks into another impact player.

“Zach Lorentz is a very good player who we've watched over the last couple of years,” said Reid. “We see him being a top six forward on any team in the league which he'll be for us. He can play in all situations, power play, penalty kill, has excellent vision and is a very smart player. We see him fitting in very well with the group of players we have with bringing in Francis Menard and Brett Findlay.

“We fully expect to use those draft picks to bring in players who are top six forwards. We want to have nine players who we consider could be top six forwards in the league. We feel these draft picks will allow us to do that,” said Reid. “We have already pursued possible moves coming into the fall. We have the trade freeze now for July but as soon as the trade freeze opens we will continue to pursue what we have already started.”

Reid believes this will be the end of the exodus of star players asking for trades like Ryan Spooner and although he didn't ask for a trade Austin Watson did not return from the world junior championships in January knowing the Petes were trying to trade him.

“There are certain circumstances with each player which are special for every player. You'd have to ask the individual player as to the circumstances,” said Reid. “Is it the transition from when I came in the last two years to what players were used to before? Maybe. I don't know. We know that what we're doing here and the group we have got, we know we're doing the right things and are developing the players we have on our roster. We believe in what we're doing and that we're going in the right direction. We're not the only ones in this situation. I know there are other players in the league who have asked for trades. It's part of the game. We do everything we can to provide a great hockey opportunity for players in Peterborough and a great life experience for young men. I'm not concerned with how our organization is doing things moving forward.”

Puempel did no immediately return calls seeking comment. Morris, of Newport Sports Agency, said Puempel wanted a chance to win a championship in his final year of junior and to be closer to home in the Western Conference.

“As a player going into his last year and a team that had not been successful and is really a team in transition with how it's drafted and how some of the younger players have been successful, I think Matt thought they would be a really good team not this coming season but the following season,” said Morris. “Being that this better be his last year in junior if he's not playing in the NHL, getting moved now gives the player or players involved a chance to be with a team from the beginning of the season rather than coming in during the middle of a season.”

Morris said it wasn't an easy decision for Puempel.

“He met lots of friends there, had great billet parents and teammates and enjoyed the ownership, the community and the team,” said Morris.

He acknowledged Kitchener was Puempel's first choice.

“The (other) teams he was willing to go to there were some roadblocks to it,” said Morris. “I don't want to get into specifics of what other teams or what the roadblocks were. Towards the end it was 'If I can get to Kitchener, I'd appreciate that.'”

When asked if there is a problem in the Petes' organization that is leading players to demand trades, Morris replied: “This was an isolated incident from our end. I can't speak to what Austin Watson felt or Ryan Spooner.”

Reid believes the Petes will contend this year despite what Puempel thinks. He expects a much stronger team than last season and with plenty of youth and assets still in the bank to be strong for several years.

“We feel we have a very strong team this year from our defence and goaltending to our forwards. If we do run into injuries we have more than enough assets to deal with it,” said Reid. “The biggest thing for us is the depth of our team now. We're not loaded on one line. I think we're loaded on two or three lines and have the potential to really come at teams in waves rather than be a team that can be shut down. We're very confident our defence is going to be one of the best in the OHL. I don't think I'm out of turn in saying that. We have great confidence in our goaltending. We have great young, character guys who all showed last year they're willing to work and put the time in to succeed.”

Reid expects Tanus, a 1995-born player who is five-foot-nine, 178 pounds, to be broken in slowly but is excited about his potential. Tanus had 16 points in 12 games for Finland's under-17 national team and also played for their U18 team.

“He has high offensive skill and is a complete player. It's going to be fun watching him develop,” said Reid.

The Petes are loaded with left shot forwards but Nick Ritchie will play right wing where he played his minor hockey. Tanus also has experience playing the right side.

“We're confident we have enough guys who can play the off-wing,” said Reid.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:29 AM
defensehockey19

Dave Reid claims there that they want one more "top 6 forward" I find that interesting because they already have 9 forwards who can score... Quine, Ritchie, Menard, Findlay, Nosad, Lorentz, then you have your rookies.. Betzold, Cornel, Tanus. Who out of those kids would go down to the 4th? I think they all deserve to be top 9.

I say trade Trojanvoic+Thompson for Gregg Sutch + Picks and let him be a leader with grit on the fourth line and your team is set for all season with great depth.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:46 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Dave Reid claims there that they want one more "top 6 forward" I find that interesting because they already have 9 forwards who can score... Quine, Ritchie, Menard, Findlay, Nosad, Lorentz, then you have your rookies.. Betzold, Cornel, Tanus. Who out of those kids would go down to the 4th? I think they all deserve to be top 9.

I say trade Trojanvoic+Thompson for Gregg Sutch + Picks and let him be a leader with grit on the fourth line and your team is set for all season with great depth.
A team does not trade for a 20 year old 4th line grinder,those jobs are for the 16-18 year olds by and large
Besides Sutch would never accept a move to a team for primarily
4th line duties and he shouldn"t either

Old
06-28-2012, 10:05 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
A team does not trade for a 20 year old 4th line grinder,those jobs are for the 16-18 year olds by and large
Besides Sutch would never accept a move to a team for primarily
4th line duties and he shouldn"t either
I just don't see any other kind of move being made.. Going to have to be for a gritty forward..

Closed Thread