HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XV

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 11:33 PM
sunnydaycrash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I'll love it if the Pens sign nobody good and they have Derek Engellend or Ben Lovejoy on their second pair.
That would be brilliant......if they get Parise alone I'll be choked , let alone Parise and Suter......not because the Caps didn't sign him but because everyone and their sister seems to think Parise to the Pens is a done deal.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:58 PM
sunnydaycrash

Now that it appears Matt Carle is heading to free agency.......Well, let's do nothing about that.....something about that kid always bothered me......I really hope GMGM stays away from offering him anything.

Any chance the Caps look at Salvador with Oates at the helm now?

Old
06-28-2012, 12:01 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Salvador would be great if Hamrlik weren't on the team. But I wouldn't want two pairs of old legs on the left side of the defense.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Halpysback

I'd take Salvador over Carle 10 out of 10 times. Even if he was 50 years old.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:47 AM
artilector

Quote:
The Caps top 6 goal scoring forwards last year scored 109 combined goals.

For reference's sake, here is the number of goals scored by the Cup champ's top 6 forwards:

2011-12: 115
2010-11: 135
2009-10: 146
2008-09: 159
2007-08: 160
2006-07: 171
2005-06: 190

Notice a trend? I had no idea the numbers would come out like this, but its almost shocking to see a decline every single year.
So.. what you're saying is, we must sign Semin and reverse this loathsome trend, yes?!

On the other hand, this shows that Ovechkin's declining output is going to one of the major driving factors in getting the Caps closer to the Cup. Problem solved, Capsland, problem solved..

Seriously, what this shows is that playoff hockey is becoming a repetitive slugfest of bands of robotic disciplined fit durable guys. Yay. Passion! Profit. Yay.

Excellent find though. What's the ETA of our Beagle Clone Army?

Old
06-28-2012, 12:51 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
So.. what you're saying is, we must sign Semin and reverse this loathsome trend, yes?!

On the other hand, this shows that Ovechkin's declining output is going to one of the major driving factors in getting the Caps closer to the Cup. Problem solved, Capsland, problem solved..

Seriously, what this shows is that playoff hockey is becoming a repetitive slugfest of bands of robotic disciplined fit durable guys. Yay. Passion! Profit. Yay.

Excellent find though. What's the ETA of our Beagle Clone Army?
I think the data supports that the "we won't win a Cup without an elite goalscorer on the second line" talk is bollocks.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:28 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
I think the data supports that the "we won't win a Cup without an elite goalscorer on the second line" talk is bollocks.
I think it more shows that we're going to need a defense/goalie combo like Boston or Los Angeles if we're going to win without a high powered top six.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:42 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Sykora
***** please, he scored as many goals as Semin last season, all the HF GMs here will be throwing $7mil for 6/7 years for GMGM to dumpster dive.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:19 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Now that it appears Matt Carle is heading to free agency.......Well, let's do nothing about that.....something about that kid always bothered me......I really hope GMGM stays away from offering him anything.

Any chance the Caps look at Salvador with Oates at the helm now?
Matt Carle is good, don't really see why anyone would hate him, just I feel we already have our defensive core set enough that Carle is not high enough caliber to disturb the core.

Sunnyday, have you been paying attention. Cinderella playoff performances gets you good contracts from the Capitals.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:39 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Matt Carle is good, don't really see why anyone would hate him, just I feel we already have our defensive core set enough that Carle is not high enough caliber to disturb the core.

Sunnyday, have you been paying attention. Cinderella playoff performances gets you good contracts from the Capitals.
You're right they do,.....But......I'd like to see the Caps add a piece to the back end , but someone with a little bite......maybe Sarich on a cheap contract....a right handed shot would be preferable so Orlov can develop on his natural side .

I know Sarich isn't ideal but I cant honestly think of another right handed D that can clear the crease that's available.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:58 AM
artilector

Quote:
Well, it goes without saying that it's bollocks, just like any other rigid "requirement" for a Cup winning team..

I was actually being serious in part there -- when I watch NHL playoff hockey nowadays, I don't get the sense that star players matter as much any more directly in terms of goals & assists. It's all about denying opponents space and tilting the ice, which ultimately allows you to generate chances.. You get a few snipes here and there, a couple of skill passes, but ultimately the difference is who can execute simple plays better.

At the same time, I feel like Semin's presence is a net positive for the Caps. He actually puts in the work defensively and though inconsistent, can provide critical offense in playoffs. If Caps needed to get rid of him because better players were available or high quality prospects are coming off their ELCs, ok fine. But I don't see the Caps realistically get a better overall winger right now, nor do they seem to need the cap space. So if they could get him back for roughly same salary and reasonable term, I think they're better off.

I get "let's ship Semin out to make space for a guy we found to replace him", but I don't get "let's ship Semin out and hope we eventually find a better replacement". In reality Semin leaving is not gonna make the Caps better, IMO -- in fact it took an excellent trade by McPhee to probably just get the Caps top-6 back to similar overall quality. But beyond that there are few real chips to trade, and slim pickings in free agency (at least realistic ones). And next year Ribeiro will be 33 and wanting a new contract, so potentially you're back to square 1 trying to build a second line. So it's hard not to feel like there's not gonna be much improvement at forward with Semin leaving. There's tons of cap space at the moment, but unless Caps get a guy like Parise/Suter, there's nobody to really use it on.

Old
06-28-2012, 04:41 AM
Atlas

I haven't seen tons of Devs/Parise games in recent years so I don't know: if we drafted him instead of Fehr in 2003 (I think it was) would we want to re-sign him for 7 years/7 million per (if that's enough)? I'm all for a long-term UFA for a superstar like Chara's deal. We would have won multiple Cups with Hart Ovie and "Chuck" Norris Zdeno IMO.

But man, you gotta be sure he is the real thing if you sign long-term. I haven't seen enough of Parise to judge. I haven't seen much of Suter either but I don't see him as being in Chara's league (if you know what I mean).

The CBA is awful. I knew it would be when the owner's, with all the leverage, caved. They need a much simpler system. And you gotta have easy buy out clauses that don't single-handedly kill your cap space. "Yeah, we woulda won the Cup this year but we were screwed on cap space."

The new world order is pansy ass.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:16 AM
MiSe

GMGM's interview with Elliot this morning was interesting. He talked about MoJo on the wing with Nicky, which we already kind of knew. Could we see that we only go after a 3C instead now and roll with...

8-63-20
21-19-90?

He also talked about how he suggested to Dale going more uptempo, and how he had direct input into going AWAY from the Man to Man in the D-zone mid-year. So it seams they went Zone - Man to Man- Zone in the D-zone. Perhaps thats why Carlson got back on track, maybe he plays alot better in a zone scheme in the d-end.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:27 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

If Oates is going to go for his lefty/LW righty/RW thing, I could see:

Laich - Ribeiro - Ovi
MoJo - Backstrom - Brouwer

(Swap Ovi and Brouwer if you want, but I figure Backstrom will be able to do more on that line than Ribeiro would and the balance is better overall).

Of course GMGM has cash to burn, so it'd be nice to add a more legitimate top-6er in there somewhere.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:28 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1100
Interesting, a glimpse that mega turtle was Dale. Of course, George appears to lie more often than not, including last week implying no trades were on the horizon, rolling out the red carpet for Rib the next day.

Knowing the fans general disdain of the trap, its easy to imply it was Dale while he is sharpening the blades of a combine 3000 miles away. While I don't doubt he suggested going uptempo to Dale, fearing his job perhaps, we do not know if it was he that wanted no tempo in the first place.

Did we run man coverage, or zone in the playoffs? I thought for sure it was man but may be wrong.

I see many here moving Laich to wing. Is there any reason for that, more than fan preference? I do not see that happening.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:39 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Personally, I see Laich to the wing for two reasons: he's likely to produce more there, and at least for the time being they don't really have any other top-6 options.

Get a top-6 winger and you can have Laich at 3C if you want.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:42 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

It was odd to me that a position change was hinted at and flat out stated along with Laich's new contract.

I will project Laich at C until I see reasons not to. As much as I prefer him at 2LW and feel he can help address the holes in our top 6, moving him to wing is along the lines of people not projecting Sarge in our D pairings.

Moving him to wing... lets wait until July 1st at least

Last edited by RandyHolt: 06-28-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old
06-28-2012, 09:43 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I'm curious as to if Laich played the 3C because the organization liked him better there, or if they thought he was just the best option.

I think it's pretty clear to most that the LW is his best position.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:44 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

I think Laich "produces" better at 3C. Maybe not, statistically, but more for the part. He's more apt to put up a "decent season" at a third center position than he is for a "top six" role. If Semin isn't coming back, I desperately would want some form of Top Six type talent, even in a quasi-dumpster dive move.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:45 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
It was odd to me that a position change was hinted at and flat out stated along with Laich's new contract.

I will project Laich at C until I see reasons not too. As much as I prefer him at 2LW and feel he can help address the holes in our top 6, moving him to wing is along the lines of people not projecting Sarge in our D pairings.

Moving him to wing... lets wait until July 1st at least
That was before they had Ribeiro, and before Beagle and Perreault stepped up their games to varying degrees. Arguably more depth there now but the balance between C and W could be turned on its head this summer in various ways, as you say.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:52 AM
DCRedhawk21

If Oates is serious about his LW L and RW R strategy, and Laich is going to be playing as 3C, then you'd think we'd have to be in the market for a top-6 LW..

XX - Ribeiro - Ovi
MoJo - Backstrom - Brouwer
Chimera - Laich - Ward

Unless they want to move Chimmer to a top-6 spot and Henricks to 3LW or pick up another 3LW.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I don't for a minute believe that the top six is complete, and that the Caps are comfortable with Ovechkin, Backstrom, Ribeiro, Brouwer, Laich, Johansson for a top six. That's not too bad, provided no one sustains so much as a hangnail. It also leaves the bottom six bereft of talent. McPhee doesn't like to telegraph his moves. My gut says he's probably identified a ~$3M player to pursue for that top six.

Now that said, I tend to put more credence into McPhee's assertion that he sees Orlov as Wideman's replacement. That still leaves room for a defense pickup.

I suspect the Caps will be active in free agency, but they may not target the high-profile names. I'll be surprised if they add a player accounting for $5M/yr against the cap, but expect them to add 2-3 players.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:54 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Interesting, a glimpse that mega turtle was Dale. Of course, George appears to lie more often than not, including last week implying no trades were on the horizon, rolling out the red carpet for Rib the next day..
mcphee doesnt tend to outright lie. if he says he is not going to trade a first round pick, which he has said numerous times, he doesnt turn around and do it.

i remember his comments prior to the fedorov, cook and huet trade deadline. he said something to the effect that he was not going to trade his high end prospects and first round picks. he said if there was something there at a lesser cost, he would consider it.

the media reported that mcphee saying the caps werent going to make a splash on deadline day and not to expect much. the caps made three deals and then the media said mcphee lied. closer reading of his actual words showed that all three of his deals fell within the criteria he outlined in his comments.

you can't accept mcphee's public comments with broad strokes. you have to look at the exact wording.

mcphee's comments about hunter's coaching would likely be accurate as hunter remains part of mcphee's inner circle.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:57 AM
discobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSe View Post
GMGM's interview with Elliot this morning was interesting. He talked about MoJo on the wing with Nicky, which we already kind of knew. Could we see that we only go after a 3C instead now and roll with...

8-63-20
21-19-90?

He also talked about how he suggested to Dale going more uptempo, and how he had direct input into going AWAY from the Man to Man in the D-zone mid-year. So it seams they went Zone - Man to Man- Zone in the D-zone. Perhaps thats why Carlson got back on track, maybe he plays alot better in a zone scheme in the d-end.
I just hope we aren't ready to give up on Mojo as a Center. I know we just traded for Riberio, but the guy is 32 and under a 1 year deal. It's possible that we only have him for this upcoming season, and I would really like the option of slotting an improved Mojo in as our 2C as he is still very young and we control his rights for 5 more years....

Old
06-28-2012, 09:58 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
That was before they had Ribeiro, and before Beagle and Perreault stepped up their games to varying degrees. Arguably more depth there now but the balance between C and W could be turned on its head this summer in various ways, as you say.
After hearing George talking up MJ at wing, I think Rib will largely keep MJ to wing, which keeps Laich at C. Laich did help out as a 1C last year, in what I called the sacrifice bunt, but not as a 2C IIRC. Not that there is really a difference but still, Rib is our 2C, something Laich was not.

RH C Depth Chart
Backstrom
Ribeiro
Laich
Beagle

MP/MJ injury C fill in top 2, Hendricks/Sjogren bottom 2.

My Projected Lines
MJ Nick Ovi | Parise/FA Ribeiro Brouwer | Chimera Laich Ward | Hendricks Beagle Sjogren

Closed Thread