HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Plekanec be the one on the way out ?

Old
06-28-2012, 09:43 AM
PunkinDrublic*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
So Gomez has been bad for two entire seasons of hockey because every single game, despite playing for two different coaches and a multitude of linemates, he had 0 support from his wingers.

Okay...

Then how do you explain his ineffectiveness when he was moved to the wing? 0 support from his center?
Pretty stupid question really, he is a natural center and has been all his career, ever play hockey ? Try changing positions just for the heck of it. You kind of feel like when you were 5 years old and lost your mother at the shopping center.

Scott will be back and better than before. M Therrien has also stated many times on AC that he likes him and he has to be playing in a different system.

Last edited by PunkinDrublic*: 06-28-2012 at 09:56 AM.
PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
So who makes Patches click once Desharnais is gone? Don't think you can move Desharnais to the wing, he's not the fastest and the biggest. That's just a plan to have him fail, so might as well trade him if you can find someone that can make Patches produce. If they do find someone next season, I'm pretty sure his name will be flying in rumors. A really sad affair, since imho he's our best offensive center right now.

I love DD's line, and how he can thread a pass anywhere, one of the best non drafted players we've ever had.

But any trade all depends on how all the centres do really. If DD can repeat last season, his value shoots up for us and in trade scenarios. If Eller improves again offensively and defensively, Plekanec becomes expendable, or Eller's value in a trade goes up. If Galchenyuk proves to be top 6 ready for 2013-14 season, than one of them must be moved to make space for him.

But basically, even though we now have "some" depth at centre, it doesn't mean a trade should be made now. Especially seeing as how we are just digging out of a horrible year, and our cap situation is not desperate.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov View Post
We need more time to develop our prospects before talking about any trades. Plekanec is the perfect kind of player you need to have around to show an example to the youngsters, he's an hard working guy and fully devoted to this team and his contract is a very reasonable one, it makes no sense to trade him right now. I say he will probably be traded to a contender when our prospects are ready or give us even more depth and be part of the cup run.
Ultimately this is the answer to the question. The question has to be answered in the context the team finds itself in - several years and several prospect developments away from getting into the league's upper echelon.

This isn't a firesale, but management has to be minded to the end-game, and I think in this case neither DD or Plekanec are on the block, but neither Plekanec or DD will be around when the team eventually reaches competetive status. they will be replaced as better alternatives present themselves.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Pretty stupid question really, he is a natural center and has been all his career, ever play hockey ? Try changing positions just for the heck of it. You kind of feel like when you were 5 years old and lost your mother at the shopping center.

Scott will be back and better than before. M Therrien has also stated mant times on AC that he likes him and he has to be playing in a different system.
Okay buddy.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:50 AM
MTL-rules

Trading Plekanec to give his place to Gomez ? Really ? Is that what I'm reading ? Really ?

This is getting ridiculous...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:52 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:

Scott will be back and better than before. M Therrien has also stated mant times on AC that he likes him and he has to be playing in a different system.
Yes, I play hockey. Although I play goalie, I have played forward before. NHL players grow up having played many different positions. You have a million excuses for Gomez, but yet you don't put the blame on him.

I expect a 7 million dollar player to find a way to produce. Despite the system, despite who he plays with, or whether or not he has to play center or wing (because in the cycle game, you often have to cover for anothers position).

The people who believe Gomez should not be held accountable for his poor performance are worse than those who believe it entirely falls on his shoulders. I will say this, the team has had a lot more patience with him than most teams would. His contract is crippling, his play is a blackhole for his wingers.

Apparently it was just a coencidence that the only center Kostitsyn couldn't produce with was Gomez. Instead of saying Gomez had no support from his wingers, maybe you should investigate the possibility that the way Gomez played the game made his wingers useless hence their absence of point production when placed to play with him.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Trading Plekanec to give his place to Gomez ? Really ? Is that what I'm reading ? Really ?

This is getting ridiculous...
I don't think anyone's scenario includes Gomez.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I don't know....are we on the Bulldogs board....cause he is big in the plans with them

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:58 AM
PricePkPatch

DD proved to be a hell of a competitor anywhere he's been sent. He shined playing with Gomez and Gionta against the Bruins 2 years ago. He shined as a top center. He never quits, he's a competitor.

I don't see why people obsesses over his size. He's got more heart and mental in him than half of the Capitals' put together.

And he's homegrown, playing in his homeland. You don't trade these kind of players away. He hasn't been a defensive liability, and know how to compensate for his small size, even taking advantage of it more often than not.

He may be tossed around in board battle, but he comes back and has the stick agility to get out with the puck anyway. Remember how he beat Chara in a 20-seconds puck battle behind Thomas, during a PK, 2 years ago?!

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:58 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I don't know....are we on the Bulldogs board....cause he is big in the plans with them
Alaska Aces - ECHL

Old
06-28-2012, 10:00 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Gomez is a good 3rd line center for 2013.

Weird how i still have confidence in Gomer, maybe i'm just stupid. Sorry if i offend anyone when i say i still like Gomer.

And why does WeThreeKings make it sound like the Habs gave Gomer his contract ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:00 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
DD proved to be a hell of a competitor anywhere he's been sent. He shined playing with Gomez and Gionta against the Bruins 2 years ago. He shined as a top center. He never quits, he's a competitor.

I don't see why people obsesses over his size. He's got more heart and mental in him than half of the Capitals' put together.

And he's homegrown, playing in his homeland. You don't trade these kind of players away. He hasn't been a defensive liability, and know how to compensate for his small size, even taking advantage of it more often than not.

He may be tossed around in board battle, but he comes back and has the stick agility to get out with the puck anyway. Remember how he beat Chara in a 20-seconds puck battle behind Thomas, during a PK, 2 years ago?!
Thats why I say we move him to the wing. There is 2 scenarios right now.
1. Stay patient with Galchenyuk. When Gally is ready to take the offensive duties of a #1 center and Eller is ready to take the defensive duties that Plekanec takes on while providing a similar 50 point output, then you trade Plekanec.
2. Go with the punch of Gally-Plekanec-Eller, move DD to the wing. DD can survive anywhere and his vision will suit him well no matter where he plays.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:02 AM
hickles46

If Galchenyuk develops the way we want to, then surely Plek is going to benefit hugely by not having to play tough minutes against other team's top lines and thus his production will surely increase?

hickles46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:02 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Same view here. Plekanec is the odd man out. Plus his defensive play as declined has he had a terrible -20 last year and DD is plus 10.
Plekanec was playing with guys like White, Bourque, Geoffrion and Leblanc on his wing. There was never any consistency and none of those guys have the offensive flair to get Plekanec going and vice versa. On the other hand, Desharnais played consistently with Cole and Pacioretty, two 30 goal scorers last season. Give Plekanec those two for an entire season and I can almost guarantee he'd get near the same production.

As for the issue at centre, there is none... for now. Why don't we wait to see how Galchenyuk develops first before handing him a sure spot on the Habs roster. He played two games last season with Sarnia so he still has a way to go before making the team (1-2 years).

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:04 AM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I love DD's line, and how he can thread a pass anywhere, one of the best non drafted players we've ever had.

But any trade all depends on how all the centres do really. If DD can repeat last season, his value shoots up for us and in trade scenarios. If Eller improves again offensively and defensively, Plekanec becomes expendable, or Eller's value in a trade goes up. If Galchenyuk proves to be top 6 ready for 2013-14 season, than one of them must be moved to make space for him.

But basically, even though we now have "some" depth at centre, it doesn't mean a trade should be made now. Especially seeing as how we are just digging out of a horrible year, and our cap situation is not desperate.
Yes, to remain on topic. I'd rather move Plekanec to the wing than Desharnais, if Galchenyuk is ready, than trade anyone in a Gauthier kinda trade. (See Halak) Plekanec is just faster and I think more able to handle the shift.

I don't think any of this speculation is going to happen anyway, since Gally will most likely return to Sarnia to play a full season.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:06 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Yes, to remain on topic. I'd rather move Plekanec to the wing than Desharnais, if Galchenyuk is ready, than trade anyone in a Gauthier kinda trade. (See Halak) Plekanec is just faster and I think more able to handle the shift.

I don't think any of this speculation is going to happen anyway, since Gally will most likely return to Sarnia to play a full season.
You can't move Plekanec to the wing. He is far too good defensively to do that. DD is the only one of our centers that can be moved to the wing without losing a big part of what makes him successful.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post

Willing to change my mind if DD was to excel in a big pressure type playoff situation, then I'd know he can overcome the important things, but I'm going to stick with the stereotypes until I see a Habs team that can consistently compete on a physical front. That's been missing for, uh, geez it's been a long time.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Plekanec was playing with guys like White, Bourque, Geoffrion and Leblanc on his wing. There was never any consistency and none of those guys have the offensive flair to get Plekanec going and vice versa. On the other hand, Desharnais played consistently with Cole and Pacioretty, two 30 goal scorers last season. Give Plekanec those two for an entire season and I can almost guarantee he'd get near the same production.

As for the issue at centre, there is none... for now. Why don't we wait to see how Galchenyuk develops first before handing him a sure spot on the Habs roster. He played two games last season with Sarnia so he still has a way to go before making the team (1-2 years).
On top of that, it was proven that Desharnais' line was sheltered while Plekanec strictly played a two way role. I'm sure Patofqc knows it, he just doesn't like Plekanec, which is fine, but at least try to find some logical argument about it instead of superficial ones.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:09 AM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

Quote:
You can't move Plekanec to the wing. He is far too good defensively to do that. DD is the only one of our centers that can be moved to the wing without losing a big part of what makes him successful.
You don't think that as winger DD would get splattered? I'm worried, not the fastest for his size is the issue.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:14 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
You don't think that as winger DD would get splattered? I'm worried, not the fastest for his size is the issue.
No more splattered than he gets from having to be the first man back to help the D deep in our own zone.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:14 AM
bsl

Quote:
Great post. But you will see soon enough that Gomez will remain a Habs this winter and will have a great season. Playing a different style of hockey not tarnished but the ridiculous dump and chase brand.
That's it! It's been the dump and chase system all along that ****ed Gomer! It's the system!

And there I was thinking top NHL players got to the NHL because they were good enough to adapt to any system!

I've been so stupid! Thanks man.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:21 AM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

Quote:
No more splattered than he gets from having to be the first man back to help the D deep in our own zone.
That's different and usually more of a zone coverage strategy. I'm remembering Pacioretty rushing in the offensive zone and I put Desharnais in place of him. He would get thrown in all directions, unless you have him play just the same way he would at center. I just don't see it working, so I'll believe it when I see it

Old
06-28-2012, 10:23 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Except the OP of course...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:24 AM
bsl

Quote:
The funny thing here is that Habs fans are suppose to be one of the most knowledgeable of all hockey fans. Could you guys not see that Gomer was not playing a system that was made for his type of play. He needs to control the puck through the neutral zone, not dump and chase.
I am knowledgeable. I've watched great centers play, often live, for the Habs since 1970. And Gomer is not one of them. But what do I know, or any other guys on this board? Keep it coming, I'm loving this.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Therrien and Bergevin are not fans of big softies like Plekanec. This is his last contract in Montréal and would not be surprised if he was traded before that.
Not sure where you get that Plekanec is a "softie", on the contrary I would call him gritty, he will usually outbattle bigger players and stick his nose in there.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote