HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tootoo turns down 3-year deal.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

vCash: 500
Maybe some, but I don't think it's as big of a deal as it might have been 5 years ago. This town is maturing as a pro sports city and more people are beginning to understand that sports is a business. Jordin not signing is business on both sides. Those who would stop attending games because he isn't on the team really haven't been paying that much attention. The writing was on the wall in March.

Adz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:35 PM
NoNecksCurse

not really to the casual fan... preds get no media exposure. id expect alot of "fans" to show up to home game 27 and ask where is tootoo then get pissed when he isn't on the team..

yeah 5-7 years ago, tootoo being gone would have been a disaster.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:11 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
don't be mistaken.. as much as we think we are a hockey town... we're not. fans will be pissed that toots is gone. regardless if we think its dumb, which it is, the preds will lose fans and revenue from him being gone. probably not near as much as it use to be. i dont even think it will be enough revenue lost to affect anything.. but there will be fans/revenue lost, no doubt
Winning puts butts in the seats. The revenue impact of Tootoo's departure is minimal at best. If Jordin Tootoo is the financial linchpin to the team's success, we're screwed.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:15 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Winning puts butts in the seats. The revenue impact of Tootoo's departure is minimal at best. If Jordin Tootoo is the financial linchpin to the team's success, we're screwed.
i never said he is crucial to our success.. just said revenue will be lost. we all know every dollar counts for the organization to break into profit

Old
06-27-2012, 05:18 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
don't be mistaken.. as much as we think we are a hockey town... we're not. fans will be pissed that toots is gone. regardless if we think its dumb, which it is, the preds will lose fans and revenue from him being gone. probably not near as much as it use to be. i dont even think it will be enough revenue lost to affect anything.. but there will be fans/revenue lost, no doubt
I really cant imagine anyone that had come to more than one or two games thinking that the game isnt worth seeing without tootoo

about the only revenue lost will be on tootoo t-shirts, which Im sure were a big seller

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:22 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I really cant imagine anyone that had come to more than one or two games thinking that the game isnt worth seeing without tootoo

about the only revenue lost will be on tootoo t-shirts, which Im sure were a big seller
girls love tootoo, and always have his gear

forgot about those tshirts, those too

Old
06-27-2012, 05:24 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
i never said he is crucial to our success.. just said revenue will be lost. we all know every dollar counts for the organization to break into profit
The team stands to lose money on giving him too big of a raise as well. The number of fans showing up just for Jordin Tootoo is exaggerated. The amount of money his merchandise brings in for the team is as well. $500k is almost a $1 surcharge for every ticket sold throughout the season ... it's the customization charge for over 5,000 jerseys ... it's over 16k shirts at $30 a pop ... assuming the front office were to receive 100% of that money.

Winning gets people through the turnstiles. Winning results in more post season games which equals more dollars into the coffers. Winning, not Tootoo.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:32 PM
NoNecksCurse

well ill say this as bad as it may sound.. i never would have been a season ticket holder starting in 06 if it weren't tootoo. he definitely "sped" up my love for the preds. started following since 2001.. but tootoo took my love to another level. especially halloween 2003 against detroit .. tootoo fought.. wrecking ball, whole team fought.. we won 5-3.. just awesome.

not to mention my tootoo jersey, whistle, and figurine. tootoo generates revenue. just like weber, rinne .

Old
06-27-2012, 05:39 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Losing Tootoo will take a hit, but we'll make up for it when we sign Parise

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:46 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
well ill say this as bad as it may sound.. i never would have been a season ticket holder starting in 06 if it weren't tootoo. he definitely "sped" up my love for the preds. started following since 2001.. but tootoo took my love to another level. especially halloween 2003 against detroit .. tootoo fought.. wrecking ball, whole team fought.. we won 5-3.. just awesome.

not to mention my tootoo jersey, whistle, and figurine. tootoo generates revenue. just like weber, rinne .
Just like Radulov, Sullivan, O'Brien, Bouillon, Vokoun, Mason, Walker, Hartnell, Timonen, Zidlicky, and on and on. The whistles made money for the foundation ... and they'll find another way to bring in a few bucks now that those are done.

After the league, players union, vendor, manufacturer, and everyone else in the chain gets their cut just how much you think the team gets on a $180 customized Tootoo or Weber jersey? $5? $10?

Old
06-27-2012, 06:08 PM
NoNecksCurse

has to be more than that... maybe $20-$30 after cost, production, labor, etc. making $5 a pop almost isn't worth selling when you got X amount in stores, shops, etc

Old
06-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:

I hear you--Cale Hulse (and that Men of Steel poster) still hold a special place in my heart-- but I'm still here and he's long gone. Players come and go. I cheer for the laundry.

Adz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:13 PM
adsfan

Tootoo was a fan favorite in Milwaukee during the lockout year. Good luck Toots!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:54 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
has to be more than that... maybe $20-$30 after cost, production, labor, etc. making $5 a pop almost isn't worth selling when you got X amount in stores, shops, etc

20% + of the price of a blank jersey into the team's coffers? Really? $124 for a blank "premiere" jersey at nhl.com and similarly priced at most reputable vendors. Reebok gets a cut of every shirt sold. Then the league. The NHLPA gets a share of player named items. That's after including actual material costs, marketing, transport, labor, and individual store markup ... with a minimum price dictated by Reebok as part of their rights package in the deal. In aggregate, merchandise is a money maker but the per piece profit isn't much for the team.

If 10,000 licensed Tootoo jerseys sell nationwide, that still generates less than his probable desired pay raise even at your team profit guestimation. For comparison, the 2011 Winter Classic managed to sell about 38,000 jerseys between release and game weekend ... with all of the marketing hype that went with it. No Pred is on the top 20 NHL jerseys sold list.

As I said earlier, any merchandise money lost as a result of Tootoo leaving will be minimal.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:08 PM
NoNecksCurse

so you are saying preds make $5, maybe $10 ... on a $200 tootoo jersey.... i have a real hard time believing that. but again, i think you are underestimating ALL the revenue gained from toots short and long term.

take me for example.. say an extra season of tickets in 06 from me... $1,000+ .. all the concessions from me that year.. jerseys, friends I brought, etc. im not saying he saved our franchise but significant revenue has been obtained from toots career here. you may be close in saying toots raise may cancel his revenue, fans, etc.. but at this point, with no suter, im having trouble seeing where we are anywhere but hovering the cap floor...

Old
06-27-2012, 08:28 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
so you are saying preds make $5, maybe $10 ... on a $200 tootoo jersey.... i have a real hard time believing that. but again, i think you are underestimating ALL the revenue gained from toots short and long term.

take me for example.. say an extra season of tickets in 06 from me... $1,000+ .. all the concessions from me that year.. jerseys, friends I brought, etc. im not saying he saved our franchise but significant revenue has been obtained from toots career here. you may be close in saying toots raise may cancel his revenue, fans, etc.. but at this point, with no suter, im having trouble seeing where we are anywhere but hovering the cap floor...
So Kariya, Sullivan, Vokoun, Timonen, Walker, Arnott, etc get no credit for they money you spent on tickets ... just Tootoo.

TEAM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> individual player

Old
06-27-2012, 08:46 PM
NoNecksCurse

what im saying is i doubt id have committed to season tickets so early if not have fell so in love with the preds.. largely in part to tootoo. take toots away and my progression would have been slower

and none of those guys have anything on toots as far as casual fans knowing him

Old
06-28-2012, 12:56 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

toots is a big househould name yes, but Weber and Rinne have really taken that over imo.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:24 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
That's funny. I think the more noise the better. I wish everybody had a vuvuzela. When I'm at a game, I want the most noise possible coming from the stands.
To each his own.

I will say this, though. As a collection of fans we can give any other fan base a run in terms of energy and noise. We can do that in one of the smallest arenas in the league, and without artificial noise makers.

I'm cool with loud. I'm not cool with loud-right-in-my-ear-for-no-reason-other-than-Tootoo-is-taking-one-of-13-shifts-tonight. It gets old really quickly.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:55 AM
jlsg

While he was 'entertaining' to watch at times, come Dec nobody will care if he's not here anymore. Overall the team may be better without him.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:03 AM
codeman00

Quote:
what im saying is i doubt id have committed to season tickets so early if not have fell so in love with the preds.. largely in part to tootoo. take toots away and my progression would have been slower

My experience is very similar. When I moved to Nashville in 2008 and went to my first games, I immediately became a Tootoo fan. Just the fact that the guy was a human wrecking ball / fighter made the game fun before I knew all of the rules and all of the other player's names. The fact that every time he came on the ice, you better be watching him because he can lay that big hit at any time. By the next season, I had a customized Tootoo #22 jersey. Every time I would bring a new fan to a game, Tootoo was the first one that I told them to keep an eye on and explained why the train whistles were being blown, etc. That excitement of the big hit from the fan favorite was an easy sell for a new fan, even if they didn't know a lot about hockey. Even if we were losing bad, he was still worth watching just to see what he was going to do. I wore that Tootoo jersey for the next 2 seasons until the Gold jerseys came out. I had a feeling that his time here was limited, even before the 2011-12 season started. Call him a side show or whatever, he was still important in drawing new fans into the game. And when he started to contribute on the ice with goals and assists, it just made it even better. When he was scratched or injured last season, he was definitely missed by me and a lot of the fans around me. You could here people murmur during the game about how they wished Tootoo was in the line up and asked when he was coming back. He will be missed, that's for sure.

codeman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:14 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
girls love tootoo, and always have his gear

forgot about those tshirts, those too
um... I was totally being facetious.... the entire revenue from sales of Tootoo t-shirt jerseys from his whole career here wouldnt pay for a day of Rinne or Weber's salary

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:28 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

The indicators have been there for a couple of years that Tootoo is becoming that triangle peg when all that's left are circular and square holes to fit him in. He's an energy guy ... but that's about it. Those guys tend to be young, lower paid, replaceable players. Even the remaining heavyweight fighters tend to be under the $1mil range. Then we have Tootoo at $1.3million in salary last season ... and apparently wanting more.

From a hockey perspective, what does he truly bring that can't be brought in for less? He's an inconsistent scorer with his brief flashes of ability far outweighed by his usual absence from the scoresheet. He isn't a strong skater. He isn't a defensive standout, actually more of a liability in that respect. He isn't a special teams player. What he brings is skate fast in a straight line, go for a big hit, and about half the time slam into the boards and not the player. He's fought fewer times in the past three seasons combined than in his first NHL season.

He's a niche player. A "fan favorite" like Belak was in Toronto, Bissonette is in Phoenix, or any number of guys are across the lower leagues. There have been numerous discussions here over the seasons about how Tootoo would have to further develop as a player to keep earning the bigger paychecks. Ott grew into more of a player than just a pest. Konopka does more for Ottawa than just fight. Even Avery, at one time, brought more to the ice than just an annoying personality. Tootoo hasn't found that next level in his NHL game. Over a decade since his draft, he remains just an energy guy.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:30 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:

I understand what you are saying. I don't understand why others do not right now.

Tootoo had more value to the franchise 5-6 years ago, without a doubt. Before the run season before last, hockey was really not all that relevant to people other than the diehards and who they brought to games. Yeah, we had some names, in Kariya, and well, be honest that was it to the casual fan, and even that was due in part to a disney movie. Now, we have developed Rinne, Weber, Suter, and have fisher to market around. The need to market a bottom six plug in gone. We can now market the franchise around winning. This franchise has outgrown Jordin Tootoo.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:47 AM
NoNecksCurse

and if suter and weber bounce? who do we market? rinne... and mr. underwood? lol