HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Latvia Roster Discussion (Released, post #1)

Old
06-28-2012, 05:54 AM
Justinov

vCash: 500
Every country have players with national specific psychologies. You have to find coaches that can adapt to what kind of players you have mentally. Swedish coaches seems to have worked best for danish players on NT level. They can bring the discipline and work-ethics that Denmark often lacked, but have to leave room open for the danish joy of playfullness and aestethics! The swedish coaches that can find this balance are often those who do best!

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:56 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
I think major improvements for will come for NT when the young guys will have matured- Girgensons,Blugers,Bukarts,Indrasis-thats around 2014 olympics-just when its most needed.
Yeah and if you keep Nolan to Sochi (and beyond?) he will just get more and more in tune with latvian mentally and can better and better coach his players also in the more individual level. Especially in tough hard matches, where the right placed words can turn the tide, and the wrong do more damage!

Old
06-28-2012, 05:56 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Every country have players with national specific psychologies. You have to find coaches that can adapt to what kind of players you have mentally. Swedish coaches seems to have worked best for danish players on NT level. They can bring the discipline and work-ethics that Denmark often lacked, but have to leave room open for the danish joy of playfullness and aestethics! The swedish coaches that can find this balance are often those who do best!
Well it looks like around Olympics we will have most of our players playing in NA,so Nolan is exactly what we need.

BalticWarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:57 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Yeah and if you keep Nolan to Sochi (and beyond?) he will just get more and more in tune with latvian mentally and can better and better coach his players also in the more individual level. Especially in tough hard matches, where the right placed words can turn the tide, and the wrong do more damage!
I really,really hope we keep him.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:00 AM
BalticWarrior

Hmm if we do qualify for OG`s i hope we get to play against norway,you know..unfinished buisness and all

Old
06-28-2012, 06:02 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Well it looks like around Olympics we will have most of our players playing in NA,so Nolan is exactly what we need.
I just wonder if all these young danish and latvian players will be ready for Sochi. Girgensons probably yes. Nicklas Jensen yes......but Blugers, Thomas Spelling might be borderline. Oliver Bjørkstrand most likely still to young, as Bukarts?

Old
06-28-2012, 06:04 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Hmm if we do qualify for OG`s i hope we get to play against norway,you know..unfinished buisness and all
Well if you lose a lot of players in NA it will get harder. France is taking huge strides forward with most players in Europe!
Denmark has Belarus and Slovenia......without all the NA players it will get really really hard even if we play it in Denmark.
We both have payback against Norway

Old
06-28-2012, 06:04 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
I just wonder if all these young danish and latvian players will be ready for Sochi. Girgensons probably yes. Nicklas Jensen yes......but Blugers, Thomas Spelling might be borderline. Oliver Bjørkstrand most likely still to young, as Bukarts?
Well i mean Blugers could play 3-4th checking line,yeah bukarts might be bit young,but we will have to see how he develops.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:08 AM
Justinov

Most coaches would probably prefer solid routine in line 3-4 instead of teenage players, unless they have already proven they can cope with the high pressure (like Stanley Cup playoffs or something like that). Olympics is the highest pressure you can get in hockey!
Only those very talented you can put in top-6 are sure to go for Sochi.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:12 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov;51646893[B
]Well if you lose a lot of players in NA it will get harder. France is taking huge strides forward with most players in Europe![/B]
Denmark has Belarus and Slovenia......without all the NA players it will get really really hard even if we play it in Denmark.
We both have payback against Norway
I mean it think it shouldnt be a problem as we will have more than enough good players from KHL how will be able to help NT in qualification games.Same for you guys im sure you too will qualify.
But yeah we might have some rivalry against norway going on,eh?

Old
06-28-2012, 06:13 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Most coaches would probably prefer solid routine in line 3-4 instead of teenage players, unless they have already proven they can cope with the high pressure (like Stanley Cup playoffs or something like that). Olympics is the highest pressure you can get in hockey!
Only those very talented you can put in top-6 are sure to go for Sochi.
Yeah agreed,probably only one who will probably ready by that time will be Big Z,the rest will still have to wait a few years.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:17 AM
Justinov

Quote:
I mean it think it shouldnt be a problem as we will have more than enough good players from KHL how will be able to help NT in qualification games.Same for you guys im sure you too will qualify.
But yeah we might have some rivalry against norway going on,eh?
Who doesnt want to beat Norway.....
But i think Latvia's bunch of KHL players have higher quality than the ones Denmark have left in Europe. We seriously will lack depth, while Belarus with their KHL players probably have more to pick from! Slovenia is a danger to everyone if you underestimate them! They have taken scalps before!

Old
06-28-2012, 06:22 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Who dont want to beat Norway.....
But i think Latvia's bunch of KHL players have higher quality than the ones Denmark have left in Europe. We seriously will lack depth, while Belarus with their KHL players probably have more to pick from! Slovenia is a danger to everyone if you underestimate them! They have taken scalps before!
I wouldnt worry about Belarus too much most of their KHL players are 3-4th line checkers at best, alot of them dont even get the call up to the big club and spend most of their time in Belorussian league.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Justinov

Quote:
I wouldnt worry about Belarus too much most of their KHL players are 3-4th line checkers at best, alot of them dont even get the call up to the big club and spend most of their time in Belorussian league.
Well since it's olympic qualification I worry
The games between Denmark and Belarus are always totally even, and they have a very tight safe playing style where they rarely make stupid mistakes. Not like Denmark that often gives away chances. Getting though 4 lines of checkers can be hard enough if you need to win.
I just hope our team can handle the pressurre. at least after losing to Italy they probably wont underestimate other teams for the next couple of years

Old
06-28-2012, 10:27 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Well since it's olympic qualification I worry
The games between Denmark and Belarus are always totally even, and they have a very tight safe playing style where they rarely make stupid mistakes. Not like Denmark that often gives away chances. Getting though 4 lines of checkers can be hard enough if you need to win.
I just hope our team can handle the pressurre. at least after losing to Italy they probably wont underestimate other teams for the next couple of years
If it makes you feel better we lost italy once when we had guys like zholtok,ozolins and irbe on the lineup,so i understand your pain

Old
06-28-2012, 10:36 AM
BalticWarrior

Justinov you probably know a whole lot more about danish hockey than i do,can you tell me why bjorkstrand is reluctant to move to NA? he will drop signficantly in the draft rankings if he doesnt move to NA

Old
06-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Justinov you probably know a whole lot more about danish hockey than i do,can you tell me why bjorkstrand is reluctant to move to NA? he will drop signficantly in the draft rankings if he doesnt move to NA
I think dad Todd Bjørkstrand calls a lot of shots in the family since he is very experienced (the legend of danish hockey). Big brother Patrick stayed until this year in Denmark before going to Mora, so he might want to keep Oliver playing with adults for his development. He might drop in ranking if he keeps in Denmark and then waits to join Sweden later. But actually both Frans Nielsen, Peter Regin, Frederik Andersen and now Thomas Spelling are all Herning boys taking the same road i just descibed. they all got drafted as 87'th expect Spelling as 142. (Nicklas Jensen is the exception from Herning to NA directly, so he got drafted first round, funny enough).
It's more the Rødovre players like Mikkel Bødker, Morten Madsen and Jannik Hansen that goes directly to USA (two different hockey philosophies there?!).
But Jannik Hansen (drafted 287'th) proves that when you get drafted is less important if you have the will and the mentally to fight your way up.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:46 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
I think dad Todd Bjørkstrand calls a lot of shots in the family since he is very experienced (the legend of danish hockey). Big brother Patrick stayed until this year in Denmark before going to Mora, so he might want to keep Oliver playing with adults for his development. He might drop in ranking of he keeps in Denmark and then waits to join Sweden later. But actually both Frans Nielsen, Peter Regin, Frederik Andersen and now Thomas Spelling are all Herning boys taking the same road i just descibed.
It's more the Rødovre players like Mikkel Bødker and Jannik Hansen that goes directly to USA (two different hockey philosophies there?!).
So do you think it`s a good decision?

Old
06-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Justinov

Quote:
So do you think it`s a good decision?
If dad Todd feels the Bjørkstrand boys needs to mature more to handle the stress, it's a good decision. If he is too overproctective it's not not. But if dad doesn't know, who does ?? Even though many danes got drafted low, most of them made it into NHL. With traning in allsvenskan or SEL they develope the discipline to be excellent two-ways forwards that can be used as 3-4'th lines. So probably good in the long run, unless they are already dead set in their minds, and then no dad could hold them back!

Old
06-28-2012, 10:53 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
If dad Todd feels the Bjørkstrand boys needs to mature more to handle the stress, it's a good decision. If he is too overproctective it's not not. But if dad doesn't know, who does ?? Even though many danes got drafted low, most of them made it into NHL. With traning in allsvenskan or SEL they develope the discipline to be excellent two-ways forwards that can be used as 3-4'th lines. So probably good in the long run, unless they are already dead set in their minds, and then no dad could hold them back!
Oh ok,thanks so how do you see bjorkstrand as a 1-2 liner or a two-way forward on 3-4 th line?

Old
06-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Justinov

Quote:
If it makes you feel better we lost italy once when we had guys like zholtok,ozolins and irbe on the lineup,so i understand your pain
It does make me feel better when you know it's not ONLY your team that makes big blunders

Old
06-28-2012, 10:57 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
It does make me feel better when you know it's not ONLY your team that makes big blunders
It happens even to the big teams like sweden and canada,so no worries

Old
06-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Oh ok,thanks so how do you see bjorkstrand as a 1-2 liner or a two-way forward on 3-4 th line?
Older brother Patrick is probably a typical 3-4'th liner and will play his career in Sweden, im certain.
Oliver has the talent to be a 1-2 liner, but you often need to work your way up from line 3-4, so if you have that skill from Sweden, there is less risk that you will be a bust player.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:59 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Older brother Patrick is probably a typical 3-4'th liner and will play his career in Sweden, im certain.
Oliver has the talent to be a 1-2 liner, but you often need to work your way up from line 3-4, so if you have that skill from Sweden, there is less risk that you will be a bust player.
ah i see,so denmark has a potential star,cool

Old
06-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Justinov

Quote:
It happens even to the big teams like sweden and canada,so no worries
Never forget to remind swedes of their loss in Olympic QF to Belarus
Im sure that they would love to cast a spell of forgetfullness over the whole world for that blunder!