HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oscar Klefbom Thread | 10GP: 0G-3A-3PTS +7

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 04:45 AM
LaGu

vCash: 500
Oscar Klefbom Thread | 10GP: 0G-3A-3PTS +7

Side note on Klefbom:

From about April to a couple of days ago all you heard from the Klefbom camp (himself, his agent, his club in SWE and to a certain extent the Oilers) was that he was to stay in the SEL for one more season. It was apparently one of the issues discussed during contract negotiations and Klefbom himself stated many times that it would be good to have one more year in SWE before coming over and that he was not completely sure that he was ready for the NA for this upcoming season (I, and others, posted links+translations to some of the SWE articles on this in the Klefbom thread).

That said, now his own tune has changed somewhat. He was interview a couple of days ago and imo there were three things of relevance that came out during that interview: 1) If the Oilers tell him to come over this year, he will come without question. He stated that this is a question of honoring the club and contract that has been signed, i.e. the Oilers are the bosses and he will not argue their decision. 2) If the Oilers asks what he wants to do he is not completely sure but says that it would be difficult to turn down the opportunity (this I have not heard before, previously he, and others involved, have said that he is focused on doing another year of developing in SWE). 3) This point is connected to point no 2; if the idea is to bring him over to play a handful of games (I think he specifically said 2 games) with the Oilers and then be sent to the OKC for the rest of the season, he would prefer to stay with his team in the SEL for another year.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 09-25-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old
06-28-2012, 06:30 AM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

vCash: 50
why not give Klefbom the standard 9 games and if he needs more polishing then, loan him out to Sweden like Zibanejad? i'm sure Farjestads would be glad to get a player with full NHL preseason under his belt (much more intense physical than they are used to stack in Europe), even though after first month or so of their regular season

Old
06-28-2012, 08:18 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
why not give Klefbom the standard 9 games and if he needs more polishing then, loan him out to Sweden like Zibanejad? i'm sure Farjestads would be glad to get a player with full NHL preseason under his belt (much more intense physical than they are used to stack in Europe), even though after first month or so of their regular season
This is what I would love to see. Give him a taste now so he can go back and know what we need to work on. That being said... if somehow get Schultz and another D, it would be tough to find a spot for him in those 9 games.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:22 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

i got the impression when they said he would be coming to training camp that there was a possibility of him staying the year. I honestly think it has alot to do with how FA goes. If they cannot get a top 4 guy and strike out on schultz then Klefa may be a better option than peckham, potter etc. while i do agree with letting him develop in sweden if there are holes in his game, but if he is way further along than originally thought then maybe a bottom pairing is what is best for him and the team?

Old
06-28-2012, 08:23 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
This is what I would love to see. Give him a taste now so he can go back and know what we need to work on. That being said... if somehow get Schultz and another D, it would be tough to find a spot for him in those 9 games.
im not so sure it would be,
Whitney - Petry
Schultz - Smid
####### (schultz maybe) - 6th dman (potter?)

i think the pressure for him to stay depends on what happens between this camp and FA

Old
06-28-2012, 08:32 AM
KCrushers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
No they would not. If Klefbom can't commit to the whole season there would not be an interest in something like that and there is the problem. If Klefbom go to the main camp and or play 9 games, he will have to hope Oilers give him a spot or get ready for AHL cause Färjestad will not start their season with holes in their D roster.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:26 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I wouldn't be surprised if he went to training camp and then back to Sweden.

But it's interesting that originally he was just going to come for the dev camp and now they want him here for training camp.

Certainly he's progressed by leaps and bounds in the last 6 months.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:08 AM
s7ark

Klefbom coming to training camp?

Thought this deserved its own tread rather than using the development camp one.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:10 AM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCrushers View Post
No they would not. If Klefbom can't commit to the whole season there would not be an interest in something like that and there is the problem. If Klefbom go to the main camp and or play 9 games, he will have to hope Oilers give him a spot or get ready for AHL cause Färjestad will not start their season with holes in their D roster.
Didn't Ottawa do this with Zibanejad last year? If the Oilers gave Färjestad some money to play some other guys for a few weeks before Kelfbom came back to the team, what is the big deal?

Old
06-28-2012, 10:10 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Thought this deserved its own tread rather than using the development camp one.
I hope Färjestads lets him come to the main camp but I want him in the SEL next year. There is no need to rush defensemen.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:14 AM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
I hope Färjestads lets him come to the main camp but I want him in the SEL next year. There is no need to rush defensemen.
I agree. I want him to play in the SEL next year too, with top 4 minutes and PP time. But I'd also like for him to see what an NHL training camp looks like, because almost all players say they the first one is tougher than they expected.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Moneypuck

Since things didn't go the way the Oilers wanted at the draft (Ryan Murray), they appear to be ready to gift wrap a roster spot for Oscar Klefbom. If Edmonton comes in second for the Schultz sweepstakes, you can bet Klefbom gets his first year under his belt sooner rather than later.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:31 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
yep. its going to depend on how well Tambo improves the D in the coming weeks. if its minimal, the 9 games might be worth it if its a benefit to sacrifice the PT with Klefbom getting those minutes.

but, most likely the Oilers are going to sell it to the fans that theyre ready to challenge for a playoff spot early on and play a roster of mediocre's who collapse more than they carry during 82 games. we'll see.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:34 AM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypuck View Post
Since things didn't go the way the Oilers wanted at the draft (Ryan Murray), they appear to be ready to gift wrap a roster spot for Oscar Klefbom. If Edmonton comes in second for the Schultz sweepstakes, you can bet Klefbom gets his first year under his belt sooner rather than later.
Where on earth are you getting this? Afaik, no Oiler has said anything even remotely like this. In fact they have repeatedly said the opposite, that Klefbom would be playing next season in the SEL.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:47 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
I really don't see Klefbom getting the 9 games. If he is that good I'd think they'd just convince him to play in the AHL this year and be a callup.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Moneypuck

Quote:
Where on earth are you getting this? Afaik, no Oiler has said anything even remotely like this. In fact they have repeatedly said the opposite, that Klefbom would be playing next season in the SEL.
It doesn't take a genius to figure out what's going on. There's no doubt the Oilers were wanting to come away from the draft with Ryan Murray AND some other blueline help. They failed. What's on the horizon July 1st you think?.....a third rate blueliner perhaps, more of what the Oilers have a lifetimes supply of already?.....those 4-7 blueliners we love so much.

Put the pieces together and watch. If the Oilers miss out on Justin Schultz, guaranteed they fast track Klefbom.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:49 AM
KCrushers

Quote:
Didn't Ottawa do this with Zibanejad last year? If the Oilers gave Färjestad some money to play some other guys for a few weeks before Kelfbom came back to the team, what is the big deal?
The big deal is that Färjestad is a professional team and not some developmentteam för the Oilers.

When the camp takes place and those 9 games you want him to play takes place, then Färjestad is playing a tournament with big money in it and also have the start of their own league.

Add to the fact that Färjestad lost their top 4 D to this upcoming season and that there is än agrement about Klefbom in place between Färjestad and the Oilers and breaking that in this late state is not an option for Färjestad when the market is tapped out.

No, if the Oilers demands him over there for camp and those 9 games and then decides to wait another year then Färjestad and a top 2-3 Dspot in SEL is gone.

Last edited by KCrushers: 06-28-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: typing on the phone.. sorry about typos :)
Old
06-28-2012, 10:53 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Its already being speculated by Ryan Rishaug as well as others. He is reportedly coming to camp now, where that wasnt in the cards just a short while ago.

I agree, the writing is on the wall, if management strikes out with Schultz and is unable to add something significant via trade or ufa, then Klefa will be the go to option.

The path of least resistance.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

They were talking about this on Gregors show yesterday. I beleive it was Brownlee who was mainly talking about it and him saying that they likely have convinced him to come over as a back-up plan if they can't sign Justin Schultz. I believe he is over here for development camp right?

edit: Actually it wasn't Brownlee it was Rishaug as Liquor states above.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Its already being speculated by Ryan Rishaug as well as others. He is reportedly coming to camp now, where that wasnt in the cards just a short while ago.

I agree, the writing is on the wall, if management strikes out with Schultz and is unable to add something significant via trade or ufa, then Klefa will be the go to option.

The path of least resistance.
Liquor I never was sure if you were serious but are you still not too high on Klefbom?

Old
06-28-2012, 10:57 AM
NeutralZone

I hope they stick to the old plan and have him play another year in Sweden. Then he can come to camp next year and either play in the NHL or the AHL depending on his progress.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Beerfish

The thing about the Oilers and our plans for 9 gaming young players invariably that strat does not work because either we have injuries and they keep the kids up or more often because the 18-19 year old rookie is miles better than the vet schelps we have in the line up.

I'd like to see him at camp and a few ex games but then back to Sweden if that is the plan or more preferably with the Oilers right now.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:01 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Liquor I never was sure if you were serious but are you still not too high on Klefbom?
I dont recall being down on Klefbom.

He looked pretty good to me at the WJC last year.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I dont recall being down on Klefbom.

He looked pretty good to me at the WJC last year.
Oh I'm just referring to the thread last year when he was being referred to as Klefbust and such. Like I said I never was sure if you were serious or just joking around.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:04 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCrushers View Post
The big deal is that Färjestad is a professional team and not some developmentteam för the Oilers.

When the camp takes place and those 9 games you want him to play takes place, then Färjestad is playing a tournament with big money in it and also have the start of their own league.

Add to the fact that Färjestad lost their top 4 D to this upcoming season and that there is än agrement about Klefbom in place between Färjestad and the Oilers and breaking that in this late state is not an option for Färjestad when the market is tapped out.

No, if the Oilers demands him over there for camp and those 9 games and then decides to wait another year then Färjestad and a top 2-3 Dspot in SEL is gone.
So if after the 9 games the Oil phone up Farjestad and say do you want a #2-3 d-man, they are going to say no?

Closed Thread