HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part XI: Stempniak and Ponikarovsky, LOL Offseason Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
watch them get parise and suter >_>
I have a feeling they'll get Suter if he decides he wants to play in the Eastern Conference. Pittsburgh would be an ideal place for him to live. An hour outside the city is pretty wide open. Plenty of room for a big piece of land and lots of privacy. Plus their practice complex is out in a pretty rural area, though it's being developed pretty quickly.

Gut says Parise will test the waters and ultimately return to the Devils. Probably just wants a bargaining chip.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:19 AM
Vitto79

At this point I am thinking

Whitney- 1 yr -4 millionish
Konopka- 1 yr- 1 million
Sarich - 2 yr - 2 per
Some random 3rd liner I have no idea who for around 2 million

That would not be a bad July 1st. Keep the youth of the team in tact.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:31 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
IMO its never wrong trying to get a steal in a cap world. AND, these type of signings have a much better chance of succeeding for a good team than for a flawed team.

But, Peter Mueller and Gulliame Latendress? The first is a perimeter sniper. He is no good on the forecheck. No good around the boards. He never goes to the net. He is a poor mans Jeff ONeil for those who remember him.

Latendress is a overrated PF. Decent size. Some skill. Alot of injury problems... He wouldn't hurt us on a lower line. But I can't see how he would help us. He isn't even "experienced". I would MUCH rather pick up someone who wouldn't need alot of work and who would bring some experience. We got kids in more important positions to worry about. Or just bring back Ftank. Why replace F-Tank with L-Dress?
i agree. i overacted to the idea of Mueller/Latnedress, but i would much rather see the Rangers go after guys who are more of a sure thing. I've had my fill of Wolkski's, Redden's, Ozlonishes, Christensens's, Zherdev's...

As long as we get a few sure things, i don't mind the "chance moves".

Old
06-28-2012, 08:33 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

Konopka- 1 yr- 1 million
Sarich - 2 yr - 2 per

very marginal improvement imo. i wouldn't be happy with this come July 1st.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:39 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
We made it to game six of the ECF. A total overhaul is not what this team needs. Now is the time for adding the right guys here and there.

Not saying Vitto's list of moves is a perfect offseason for me, but I wouldn't call that a bad one, either.

RANGERS =
Old
06-28-2012, 08:46 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Adding a player who would have lead this team in scoring last year is a marginal improvement?

06-28-2012, 08:49 AM
NYR Viper

I think:

Doan @ 4 million
Tootoo @ 1.6 million
Konopka @ 1 million
Mueller/Latendresse @ 2.3 million

Souray @ 2.5 million
Sarich @ 2 million
Scott @ .8 million

Last edited by NYR Viper: 06-28-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old
06-28-2012, 08:49 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
We made it to game six of the ECF. A total overhaul is not what this team needs. Now is the time for adding the right guys here and there.

Not saying Vitto's list of moves is a perfect offseason for me, but I wouldn't call that a bad one, either.
i'm not calling for a total overhaul. yet i understand that bringing in a top scorer is going to require considerable pieces being moved on our end. i'm hoping that our trading partners either become more reasonable or that we seek different trade partners for different players.

I'm happy with our progress, but I see our appearance in the ECF for what it is. We advanced purely because of Lundqvist, defense (somewhat), attrition, and some good fortune.

I didn't see talent or dynamics leading the way to us advancing. We could have easily been outed in either round. We never had a commanding lead in games or in the series. The type of playoff appearance this NYR team had, is not one that's easily replicated imo.
We can't count on post season runs like this every year. We burnt out.

They need scoring, esp now with our porcelain doll out for the start of the season. It's dangerous to ask young players to carry the load too much, and Dubinsky doesn't instill confidence in me. We also need help on the backend as well. I don't think half@ssed moves are going to get us to the next level.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

Konopka- 1 yr- 1 million
Sarich - 2 yr - 2 per

I wouldn't mind although if that random player is Tory Mitchell ill be excited. Has some speed and would help this team...he plays wing as well as center. 27 years old...

Old
06-28-2012, 08:52 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
I know what you mean but the list is not very impressive.

I figure they need a faceoff C so go with a cheaper option like Konopka. They guy can kill penalties and fight too....reality is Rangers are fine with Richards, Stepan and whether people like it or not Torts trusts Boyle as the 3rd line C. He is also being paid like a 3rd line C.

On D the main issue in the playoffs was that 6th spot. Sarich knows Torts and is a tougher vet. Its not like the D is bad with McD, Girardi, Staal, DZ, Erixon and maybe Stralman back. Also Sauer is a Wild Card

They need a top 6 Winger and Whitney can be a good stop gap for that. Rather have Doan but I think Whitney is more realistic. Not many better options in Free Agency

Of course Sather could come up with a deal out of no where but as UFAs go this is likely what to expect

Old
06-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I would actually love to hear what you would be happy with this offseason. Youve mindlessly shot down some pretty good ideas when taking risk/reward into account without presenting anything of your own.

Go ahead, enlighten us with your dream offseason. I have a feeling it lives with you in fantasy world.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:01 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Adding a player who would have lead this team in scoring last year is a marginal improvement?
when i look at a player like Whitney i look at more than stats. He's had very good #s, but is more of a playmaker than a pure scorer. I think he's one of those players that thrives in his environment. I don't know if he's a fit here. I do have some concerns with his age as well. I don't think he'd come here and a 70p player. I'm thinking more like 50p.
Also, he really hasn't been a factor in the playoffs since he won the cup.

essentially, he would be replacing Gaborik for the first few months of the season, along with time it takes for Marion to get up to speed.
Can Whitney alone be enough? i don't think so.

Doan and Whitney would be fantastic, but i choose the former as a better fit for the NYR>

Old
06-28-2012, 09:11 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I would actually love to hear what you would be happy with this offseason. Youve mindlessly shot down some pretty good ideas when taking risk/reward into account without presenting anything of your own.

Go ahead, enlighten us with your dream offseason. I have a feeling it lives with you in fantasy world.
ok, be nice now... don't get me angry.

i "shot down" Mueller/Latendresse options. Not mindlessly, i gave my reasons. you disagree? fine.

i have given my ideas in one of the versions of this thread you can search for it if you'd like...

just looking at the FA list, i'd like Moen and Konopka for the bottom 6.
wouldn't be opposed to Stempniak for the right price either. We should look at Garrison imo. We should be able to find a 5/6 defenseman from the list that Tortorella feels comfortable with.

*Here's where you and others will disagree, but i'm down for moving Dubinsky, AA, MDZ, prospect and picks for either Nash or Ryan, or an equivalent top line player. I would also move Stepan, but do realize our center depth would suffer...

if the above can't happen reasonably, i see no reason why should not seriously consider Semin. To pass on him because he's not a good fit is pure stupidity for a team this offensively challenged.

at the very least, we should package either Dubinsky or AA with a prospect/pick and get a player that is more consistent and or fits the mold of this team better.

I would like Doan as well, and Whitney, but prefer the former.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
I wouldn't mind although if that random player is Tory Mitchell ill be excited. Has some speed and would help this team...he plays wing as well as center. 27 years old...
dont know much about him. I just figure they want to improve their 1st line with a LW then bump Hagelin to 3rd line and it still leaves Dubi and Anisimov on that line.

4th line needs some grit if Prust goes and a faceoff man so Konopka does fit. Mitchell sounds like a guy that may be able to help offensively but does he grind it out?

Old
06-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I think:

Doan @ 4 million
Tootoo @ 1.6 million
Konopka @ 1 million
Mueller/Latendresse @ 2.3 million

Souray @ 2.5 million
Sarich @ 2 million
Scott @ .8 million
On D I think Souray and Scott would be a waste. Again Sarich totally agree. I only think they need 1 Dman but some fans think 2

Upfront Tootoo at that price would be great. He could be a Torts kinda guy for sure and would replcae Prust nicely.

Rupp, Konopka, Tootoo would drive some teams nuts on the 4th line

Really not sure about Meuller and Latendresse because of injuries. I would take a flier on the too but I think they go elsewhere

Old
06-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
when i look at a player like Whitney i look at more than stats. He's had very good #s, but is more of a playmaker than a pure scorer. I think he's one of those players that thrives in his environment. I don't know if he's a fit here. I do have some concerns with his age as well. I don't think he'd come here and a 70p player. I'm thinking more like 50p.
Also, he really hasn't been a factor in the playoffs since he won the cup.

essentially, he would be replacing Gaborik for the first few months of the season, along with time it takes for Marion to get up to speed.
Can Whitney alone be enough? i don't think so.

Doan and Whitney would be fantastic, but i choose the former as a better fit for the NYR>
I hear you about getting a guy who is a shoot first, pure scorer type-player rather than pass first. I agree with that 100%

The only problem is we may have limited options. Parise is out there- but he may not want to sign with us. Nash and Ryan are getting less and less likely because the GM's of their respective teams want players we are not willing to give up.

Other than those 3 guys, the only other guys I see that can significantly help our offense are Doan, Whitney, and Semin.

From all accounts, Doan does not want to go anywhere else (unless the Phoenix ownership situation can't be resolved), and who knows if the Rangers would even be interested in Semin.

That really narrows it down to Whitney, and while I would prefer a guy who is a pure scorer over a play-maker, he really might be our only option.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Svenhart2008

Hahahah

Quote:
Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype

CNN congratulates the New Jersey Devils on winning the Stanley Cup.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:27 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenhart2008 View Post
Hahahah
heh ..

Old
06-28-2012, 11:28 AM
turcotte8

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper

Breaking #NHL news. Done deal. Look for #Pens to announce star Sidney Crosby to a new 12 year contract for 104.4M. Annual cap hit 8.7M

Old
06-28-2012, 11:30 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

why in the hell would they give him that contract with all of his concussion problems

Old
06-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
why in the hell would they give him that contract with all of his concussion problems
You can't think of a reason why?

Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
ok, be nice now... don't get me angry.

i "shot down" Mueller/Latendresse options. Not mindlessly, i gave my reasons. you disagree? fine.

i have given my ideas in one of the versions of this thread you can search for it if you'd like...

just looking at the FA list, i'd like Moen and Konopka for the bottom 6.
wouldn't be opposed to Stempniak for the right price either. We should look at Garrison imo. We should be able to find a 5/6 defenseman from the list that Tortorella feels comfortable with.

*Here's where you and others will disagree, but i'm down for moving Dubinsky, AA, MDZ, prospect and picks for either Nash or Ryan, or an equivalent top line player. I would also move Stepan, but do realize our center depth would suffer...

if the above can't happen reasonably, i see no reason why should not seriously consider Semin. To pass on him because he's not a good fit is pure stupidity for a team this offensively challenged.

at the very least, we should package either Dubinsky or AA with a prospect/pick and get a player that is more consistent and or fits the mold of this team better.

I would like Doan as well, and Whitney, but prefer the former.
Good luck trying to move Dubinsky and AA for anything of top line value. Trading Stepan for a winger is silly, as is trading MDZ if you're not getting a puckmoving defenseman back.

In your heart of hearts, do you really see Semin excelling here? Be honest with that one and you'll find its a disaster waiting to happen. I like Doan and Whitney too - doesnt mean I think they're going to come here.

So, a word of advice, when someone mentions a very realistic option like Latendresse or Mueller, dont look at it in a vacuum and classify it as "dumb." Noone is suggesting these players would be preferable to the ones you're naming. But those other players are FAR, FAR, FAR more realistic to play for the Rangers next season than anyone you've mentioned.

Old
Lundsanity30

The cap hit for Crosby is fine, the length w the concussion is scary.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Well, if it comes to that, they can probably bury him on the IR.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:37 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Why is the length scary? If Crosby gets a concussion that ends his career and he retires, aren't they off the hook?

Or is the fear that he'll be like DiPietro, too injured to play full seasons but not ready to retire either?

Closed Thread